SH-AWD Sets a Bad Example?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Red face SH-AWD Sets a Bad Example?

On my daily commute there is a 2 lane sharp left curve under an overpass (bounded by a concrete retaining wall).

As time has progressed with my RL, I have been taking this turn with little or no braking as the SHAWD glides the RL through this turn. The suggested caution speed sign for the curve is 25mph along with a flashing amber light.

I have taken this turn at 55mph as it is an off ramp of the expressway. It did not even squeal the RLs OEM Michelins.

Today I had someone in a current Gen TL on my tail much of the expressway. I was traveling at 55mph in a 50 mph post and was not in the left lane. Even after moving a lane to the right, the TL moved behind me and up my butt.

I proceeded off the expressway onto the left lane exit. Again the TL's nose and hood were not visible in my rear view mirror. I stayed in the right lane of the 2 lane offramp and into the sharp left turn. This time I was down to 45mph as I entered the turn. The TL was right on my butt still.

I glided into the turn and accelerated out without touching the brakes, the RL was unflappable. But I guess my TL stalker assumed he need not brake either and the FWD plow of the TL took him into the concrete retaining wall which he shredded the passenger side of the TL, ripping off both the front and rear bumper facias. In my review mirror I saw plastic shrapnel and sparks flying.

I immediately pulled into a side lot and walked back to the TL driver. He was OK, on the phone already and avoided eye contact with me. I tapped on the driver window and asked if he was OK while holding back a 'you are a jackass' lecture.
He nodded and waved me off...seemingly embarassed.

Thankfully no one was hurt, but a pity the TL suffered for the idiot driver. As much as I wanted to ask him if he would follow me off a cliff, I have to admit that a smile was on my face when I got back into my RL.

Just another example as how subtly the RL sets a high bar.
The following 2 users liked this post by TampaRLX-SH:
oo7spy (07-08-2015), RL09 (11-05-2016)
Old 12-18-2007, 04:48 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Wow...that guy really is just an idiot for doing that. Glad nobody got hurt though.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:18 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
I know my car is faster in a straight line, but I'm smart enough not to try to chase an RL through a corner. SHAWD vs. Front drive with LSD, not a fair fight.

Isn't there a line from Forest Gump about this?
Old 12-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by black label
Isn't there a line from Forest Gump about this?
Funny you should mention. As I saw the sparks in my review mirror, what came to mind was 'Stupid is as Stupid does....'
Old 12-18-2007, 05:32 PM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate people who tailgate others. Hope that moron learned his lesson.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'm already looking on the TL side for the inevitable "I was tailing an RL and shredded my car" thread.

SH-AWD FTW!

I'm glad the TL sacrificed itself for its owner and that he was unhurt.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:38 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I'm already looking on the TL side for the inevitable "I was tailing an RL and shredded my car" thread.
That would be the perfect AZ karma! :troutslap
Old 12-18-2007, 06:21 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
If the TL driver is out there, c'mon and fess up. We'll go easy on you, don't make us put 2 and 2 together when we see a thread in the TL side asking about a good body shop in the Tampa area.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:26 PM
White and Nerdy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just curious, Tampa, is that corner the one over by the airport. I recall a really nasty corner between the airport and the Howard Frankenstein. Was made all the more dangerous by the tourists in their rental cars driving 2 mph...

You should put a TL emblem on your driver's side door...

(sorry, been watching that "Dogfights" TV show a bit too much)
Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
On my daily commute there is a 2 lane sharp left curve under an overpass (bounded by a concrete retaining wall).

As time has progressed with my RL, I have been taking this turn with little or no braking as the SHAWD glides the RL through this turn. The suggested caution speed sign for the curve is 25mph along with a flashing amber light.

I have taken this turn at 55mph as it is an off ramp of the expressway. It did not even squeal the RLs OEM Michelins.

Today I had someone in a current Gen TL on my tail much of the expressway. I was traveling at 55mph in a 50 mph post and was not in the left lane. Even after moving a lane to the right, the TL moved behind me and up my butt.

I proceeded off the expressway onto the left lane exit. Again the TL's nose and hood were not visible in my rear view mirror. I stayed in the right lane of the 2 lane offramp and into the sharp left turn. This time I was down to 45mph as I entered the turn. The TL was right on my butt still.

I glided into the turn and accelerated out without touching the brakes, the RL was unflappable. But I guess my TL stalker assumed he need not brake either and the FWD plow of the TL took him into the concrete retaining wall which he shredded the passenger side of the TL, ripping off both the front and rear bumper facias. In my review mirror I saw plastic shrapnel and sparks flying.

I immediately pulled into a side lot and walked back to the TL driver. He was OK, on the phone already and avoided eye contact with me. I tapped on the driver window and asked if he was OK while holding back a 'you are a jackass' lecture.
He nodded and waved me off...seemingly embarassed.

Thankfully no one was hurt, but a pity the TL suffered for the idiot driver. As much as I wanted to ask him if he would follow me off a cliff, I have to admit that a smile was on my face when I got back into my RL.

Just another example as how subtly the RL sets a high bar.
He needs to upgrade to A-SPEC suspension to keep up may be) to keep up with you.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AsianTL
He needs to upgrade to A-SPEC suspension to keep up may be) to keep up with you.
What an experience. Jack ass got what he deserved. Time to lurk around the TL forums
Old 12-18-2007, 07:10 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
hey TampaRL
I'm guessing that the route you took is a daily commute route.
Since you have owned a 05TL, care to share how both cars differ at the same corner?
Old 12-18-2007, 07:11 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
LOL, that's hilarious, serves the driver right though. But the poor TL....
Old 12-18-2007, 07:31 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive also done that exit from the airport to the highway...its a quick turn
Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM
She said: it's GINORMOUS!

that's what he gets for tailgating.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Yep, its the sharp turn from Memorial Highway onto Independence Parkway...next to the airport. This was the same retaining wall a fuel tanker slammed into a few years back and caused the overpass (Vet's Expressway) to melt. Coincidently, I was 500 yards ahead of that truck and remember saying to myself: 'He'll never make that turn' as he slammed into the concrete wall and I saw the orange fireball chasing me.

Yes, I remember that turn in the TL. The TL turned in sharper, but felt nose heavy and would begin a gradual plow as the front end lost traction. The TL also required steering corrections which would make it 'twitchy' in the arc of the turn.

The RL arcs beautifully. The is no plow, no slide and the rear pushes through. My first few tries I was overly cautious since the RL is a substantial car in weight, and the softer suspension allows it to roll more. This is likey why most novice RL drivers never really experience the SHAWD affect...they back off on the car just as it is ready to get on it! Also, I stay planted in the RLs seats where as the TL seats allowed me to slide around. As much as the RLs seats are criticized as not being sporty, they truly conform to my body and I stay planted (and comfortable!).

But once I learned the heft and roll of the RL was not an issue for the SHAWD, I take the turn with aplomb and each and every time I get a grin like a silly schoolkid with a new driver's permit. And the poise of the RL makes it look less athletic than the twitching of the FWD TL in the same conditions.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:51 PM
Advanced

TampaRL- you write wonderful posts. This was a great story. Id love to know how my TSX would've faired in that turn. I have some sticky Bridgestone pole positions, but would still prob get smoked. I wouldn't be foolish enough, though, to not know my cars limit. Its scary to think how well the RL could handle with A-Spec.
I really want to get my fiancee a RL and stories like this make me want it for myself. I completely understand the way the seats cradled you- I feel the same in the tsx. It must be something to do with Japanese design.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:54 PM
Instructor

Tampa,

I should drive over one of these days and try the same turn a few times with the lowered ride and bigger, lower profile tires to see what we could get her to do...

Funny I was just in Tampa earlier today, but as usual I avoid 275 if at all possible, like the pest! When I do spend the night I usually stay right off West Shore or Dale Mabry.

Later,
Old 12-18-2007, 09:43 PM
Trailingthrottleoversteer

I'm already looking on the TL site for the inevitable "I was racing and beating an RL and he ran me off the road and shredded my car" thread.

SH-AWD FTW!

I'm glad the TL sacrificed itself for its owner and that he was unhurt.

Fixed your post
Old 12-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by F.Rizzo
Fixed your post
Old 12-18-2007, 09:52 PM
Racer

Received 189 Likes on 94 Posts
TampaRL, I know the curve because I'm one of those rental car folks when I'm in Tampa. Thanks for the great posts. 500 yards away from a tanker explosion. Wow!
Old 12-18-2007, 10:59 PM
The Doctor

I guess he was following you too closely and did not see what was coming....His view was pretty much blocked by your RL.... I could be wrong.

But still, SH-AWD is the sh*t
Old 12-19-2007, 06:12 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
One wonders what the RL would do without those POS OEM Michelins.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Roy Cya
Tampa,

Funny I was just in Tampa earlier today, but as usual I avoid 275 if at all possible, like the pest! When I do spend the night I usually stay right off West Shore or Dale Mabry.

Later,
Roy,

My office is in the Westshore / Cypress. Let me know when you are overnighting again. Burgers & Beer on me.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:02 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Yep, its the sharp turn from Memorial Highway onto Independence Parkway...next to the airport. This was the same retaining wall a fuel tanker slammed into a few years back and caused the overpass (Vet's Expressway) to melt. Coincidently, I was 500 yards ahead of that truck and remember saying to myself: 'He'll never make that turn' as he slammed into the concrete wall and I saw the orange fireball chasing me.

Yes, I remember that turn in the TL. The TL turned in sharper, but felt nose heavy and would begin a gradual plow as the front end lost traction. The TL also required steering corrections which would make it 'twitchy' in the arc of the turn.

The RL arcs beautifully. The is no plow, no slide and the rear pushes through. My first few tries I was overly cautious since the RL is a substantial car in weight, and the softer suspension allows it to roll more. This is likey why most novice RL drivers never really experience the SHAWD affect...they back off on the car just as it is ready to get on it! Also, I stay planted in the RLs seats where as the TL seats allowed me to slide around. As much as the RLs seats are criticized as not being sporty, they truly conform to my body and I stay planted (and comfortable!).

But once I learned the heft and roll of the RL was not an issue for the SHAWD, I take the turn with aplomb and each and every time I get a grin like a silly schoolkid with a new driver's permit. And the poise of the RL makes it look less athletic than the twitching of the FWD TL in the same conditions.
I agree wholeheartedly and I've read and seen a few reviews that state the same thing. Specifically, unless you're really willing to push this car (like at a track), most people will never really appreciate that SH-AWD is more than just for bad weather.

Glad the guy wasn't hurt, aside from his ego knowing that the "grandpa car" (that many refer to) outcornered his TL.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
What an idiot. I would not have held back, though. I'd have yelled at him for being a flaming moron. At least he only caused himself to get into an accident, and not anyone else. Stupid people.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:28 PM
office monkey

How old would you say the guy looked?

Funny story and am glad nothing happened to you because of this guy's idiocy. As for him...oh well, his choice. I feel no sympathy at all for him.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I forgot to add, but it would have been alot more hilarious if instead of a TL, it was either a BMW, lexus, or any "premium luxury" brand that crashed. So then it'd be like, who's the premium luxury car now? or like, how come a "premium luxury" car can't out corner a "semi luxury" car like an Acura?

then again...I guess you can't base a luxury cars solely on cornering, but I guess it still plays a part.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:19 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Oh man what an idiot. I certainly wouldn't have held back at all in the lecturing. I would have also hung around till the cops got there to make sure the fact that it was 100% his fault ended up in the police report. For all you know, he could've claimed some anonymous driver ran him off the road and wah, wah, it wasn't my fault.

That story reminds me of a time a number of years back when some punk ass teenager tried to pass me on the shoulder doing something like 120 in a riced out 3000GT. It was early spring and the ground was really soft from the snow melt. He dropped a tire off the road and the corner of his car started digging into the mud. He spun out and ended up on his roof. I had seen him coming and had my signal on to get into the other lane but he was too impatient to wait the 5 seconds for me to get where I could move over. People were flying all over the place trying to avoid the chaos so I wasn't able to stop but I did get a good look at the guys face right as he started getting into trouble and eyes were about as big as head.

Stupid kids.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Racer

So that's two accidents that TampaRL "caused" with his fancy-handling car.

Note to self: Never follow Tampa around an off-ramp (or any turn for that matter) in anything but an SH-AWD equipped vehicle.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:28 PM
UrLEGEND

Ha ha! Good read.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by gavine
So that's two accidents that TampaRL "caused" with his fancy-handling car.

Note to self: Never follow Tampa around an off-ramp (or any turn for that matter) in anything but an SH-AWD equipped vehicle.
NOPE! Only ONE. The tanker truck was following my Isuzu. Trust me, the ZuZu will only corner like the RL when sliding upside down on it's roof!

Nobody saw ANYTHING....you CAN'T prove it!
Old 12-19-2007, 06:33 PM
White and Nerdy

HA! I can't believe I guessed right about the turn. What I love about that turn is that its a great test to see who's a local and who is a tourist coming to/from the airport. Most locals know to slow down a bit before the turn comes, but the tourists don't and usually end up slamming on their brakes early to mid turn.

It doesn't help that there is the added distraction of airplanes landing a mere half a mile away.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Instructor

Roy,

My office is in the Westshore / Cypress. Let me know when you are overnighting again. Burgers & Beer on me.
I might have to take you up on the invite! I'll let you know.

Later,
Old 12-19-2007, 11:49 PM
TSX Addict

Hopefully the 2009 TLs and TSXs get SH-AWD...
Old 12-22-2007, 04:04 PM
The Doctor

I wonder if the RL had Quattro, or other AWD systems would it perform the same on a ramp like that?
Old 12-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by UW RL
I wonder if the RL had Quattro, or other AWD systems would it perform the same on a ramp like that?
I doubt it. I have driven Audi Quattros, BMW xi, and Subura AWD systems. They may be very capable, but I have to say SHAWD is less brute and more organic.

The key is the SHAWD dynamic capabilities. It is adjusting wheel torque through the curve ('front to back & side to side'). I can see it on the MID and feel it in my seat. It is linear and progressive, but it changes as you journey through the curve. The advantages of each axel and wheel is capitalized on where it performs most beneifical in the turn geometry.

And for those of you who have pushed the RL through a turn whereyou get the rear outside wheel to accelerate, it is a very unique sensation I have not felt in other AWD systems. It feels as if the chassis itself is rotating at it's midpoint and not simply wheel traction. MOST drivers would not experience this in a test drive or until the vehicle driving characteristic become familiar. The RL begs to be driven in a manner we have be cautioned against.

While AWD systems do offer impressive grip, the RL's SHAWD makes it a carnival ride. One that I indulge in nearly everyday on my work commute.
Old 12-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Back in a TL again.

Old 12-22-2007, 06:21 PM
The Doctor

Yeah, I do agree with you. I have pushed my RL a few times through a 90 degree turn (accelerating into and out of the turn) and the car simply felt like it was on a track. Let's see what other companies' imitation to SHAWD can do....

I doubt it. I have driven Audi Quattros, BMW xi, and Subura AWD systems. They may be very capable, but I have to say SHAWD is less brute and more organic.

The key is the SHAWD dynamic capabilities. It is adjusting wheel torque through the curve ('front to back & side to side'). I can see it on the MID and feel it in my seat. It is linear and progressive, but it changes as you journey through the curve. The advantages of each axel and wheel is capitalized on where it performs most beneifical in the turn geometry.

And for those of you who have pushed the RL through a turn whereyou get the rear outside wheel to accelerate, it is a very unique sensation I have not felt in other AWD systems. It feels as if the chassis itself is rotating at it's midpoint and not simply wheel traction. MOST drivers would not experience this in a test drive or until the vehicle driving characteristic become familiar. The RL begs to be driven in a manner we have be cautioned against.

While AWD systems do offer impressive grip, the RL's SHAWD makes it a carnival ride. One that I indulge in nearly everyday on my work commute.
Old 12-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
I forgot to add, but it would have been alot more hilarious if instead of a TL, it was either a BMW, lexus, or any "premium luxury" brand that crashed. So then it'd be like, who's the premium luxury car now? or like, how come a "premium luxury" car can't out corner a "semi luxury" car like an Acura?

then again...I guess you can't base a luxury cars solely on cornering, but I guess it still plays a part.

That would be a pretty good commercial.

Quick Reply: SH-AWD Sets a Bad Example?