SH-AWD Full Bars

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SH-AWD Full Bars

I got the rear left wheel to get full bars last night on a merge ramp. It was a 180-degree ramp. I approached it in 3rd gear going about 35mph. When entering the turn, I pushed about half throttle and leaned toward the center of the cabin so I could see the SH-AWD gauge. I had full bars on the wheel and the car whipped around the turn amazingly. By the time I hit the straight-away, I was going about 70mph (still in 3rd gear).

It was quite incredible and if any other cars were behind me (I was too busy looking at the road and my gauge to notice) they were probably amazed too.

I love this car.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:28 AM
Racer

Yeah... I got full bars too when my dad and I were first out test driving the RL. He wanted to check out the MDX as well and the sales lady wanted to come with us. My dad didn't understand the system completely (the whole give gas to whip around turn concept was new to him) and wanted to see it working. So I got behind the wheel of the MDX, switched to sport-tronic shifting, had it locked in second and went around this turn. Regardless to say, I scared to sales lady a little, my dad was smiling, and I was quite happy with the SH-AWD performance. Later on the sales lady commented that she was happy that I was not afraid to push the car to its limits, as most people come in and barely do anything on the test drives. I haven't driven my dad's RL enough to have much fun with it, but hope to change that soon. =)
Old 04-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Racer

The MDX, from what I've heard, has a much more willing gauge. It's very uncommon for anyone to get full bars in the RL but much more common on the MDX. There was discussion as to whether the MDX just had the gauge calibrated more aggressively or if the system-itself was more aggressive.

When you do get to push your dad's RL, you'll see what I mean. It takes some guts to get the RL to show full bars.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This is one of the main reasons why I would still stick with Acura, because SH-AWD rocks!

But their styling is getting me to look at Lexus even more..

Anyhow, I wonder how our RL's SH-AWD matches up with the 09RL's...isn't the 09's supposedly more responsive?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by gavine
The MDX, from what I've heard, has a much more willing gauge. It's very uncommon for anyone to get full bars in the RL but much more common on the MDX. There was discussion as to whether the MDX just had the gauge calibrated more aggressively or if the system-itself was more aggressive.

When you do get to push your dad's RL, you'll see what I mean. It takes some guts to get the RL to show full bars.
And that may be in part because of the handling limits of each vehicle, and how the SH-AWD works in each vehicle. I believe max wheel acceleration in turns, the MDX 50% torque to any one rear tire, whereas the RL is 70% or 80% (depending on your source).

This cornering dynamic is different SHAWD behavior than on straight acceleration, where the MDX can transfer up to 90% torque to the rear if it is going up hill, hauling a load.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Pro

I still say this car is the best kept secret on the market, just amazing. I do this all the time on the on ramps, with A-spec, really great.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
Anyhow, I wonder how our RL's SH-AWD matches up with the 09RL's...isn't the 09's supposedly more responsive?
We're still several weeks away from mags' reports on the '09. I am curious myself about the comparo.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:48 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you know, I love going fast in the cloverleafs, but I don't have the presence of mind to peel my eyes away from the road long enough to see my bars...they've got to be there, I just don't see them!
Old 04-15-2008, 09:16 PM
UrLEGEND

I've had an MDX and currently an RDX loaner. One thing i did notice in regards to the differences in the SH-AWD systems in the line up is; When I punch the MDX/RDX, its more FWD emphasized (four,five bars in front, and two in the rear) But on the RL its two bars all around off the line. Great system!!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
you know, I love going fast in the cloverleafs, but I don't have the presence of mind to peel my eyes away from the road long enough to see my bars...they've got to be there, I just don't see them!
I had to look this time...dangerous, I know but the curiosity was overwhelming. I had to lean towards the middle of the cabin to be able to see it around the steering wheel. You could bring a passenger with you next time and they'll be able to see it just fine.

I still say they should integrated the SH-AWD display on the NAV screen. That would be cool. I think passengers would be impressed seeing it to the point that it might sell a few more cars.
Old 04-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by gavine
I had to look this time...dangerous, I know but the curiosity was overwhelming. I had to lean towards the middle of the cabin to be able to see it around the steering wheel. You could bring a passenger with you next time and they'll be able to see it just fine.

I still say they should integrated the SH-AWD display on the NAV screen. That would be cool. I think passengers would be impressed seeing it to the point that it might sell a few more cars.
I'd love to see the SHAWD display in a heads up display.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:02 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I'd love to see the SHAWD display in a heads up display.

Even better. Acura has an incredible feature/technology and they hide the extremely cool graphical representation of it under the speedometer. Make it stand-out.