Severe Brake Fade!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Severe Brake Fade!!!

Has anyone else experienced major brake fade on their RL?

I'm not talking about continuous heavy braking either...

I mean there have been a few instances where I'm driving and had to make a quick and abrupt stop and each of those times I felt an instant fading of my brakes.
I thought I was going to crash each time. In fact, one time I gave a new bimmer a little love tap (nothing major)

Anybody else? maybe something wrong with my brakes? Either way I'd like to beef up my brakes but I don't see any cross drilled rotors, or high performance pads on the market?!@?
Old 12-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Advanced

Get your brakes checked.

This is not normal. You should not see brake fade in a modern car under street driving conditions.

Originally Posted by PWLegend2007
Has anyone else experienced major brake fade on their RL?

I'm not talking about continuous heavy braking either...

I mean there have been a few instances where I'm driving and had to make a quick and abrupt stop and each of those times I felt an instant fading of my brakes.
I thought I was going to crash each time. In fact, one time I gave a new bimmer a little love tap (nothing major)

Anybody else? maybe something wrong with my brakes? Either way I'd like to beef up my brakes but I don't see any cross drilled rotors, or high performance pads on the market?!@?
Old 12-06-2007, 08:03 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Check the brakes at the dealer. The brakes on the RL really don't need beefing up. They are pretty darn good for luxury car driving. Now if you are tracking the car, that would be a different story...but who would track an RL?
Old 12-06-2007, 09:59 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I hate to be the one that asks this, but are you familiar with the way ABS feels under "panic" braking? The brakes don't lock up and squeal the tires like in the old days - in fact, it feels like they are "slipping" a little as you try to jam the brake pedal into the floorboard.

Is it possible that's what you're feeling, and mistaking it for fade?

If not, I agree with the others - get them checked soon.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Safety Car

Great point mike...in fact ABS may lengthen your braking distance, but the trade off is control. you can still steer around objects rather than plowing straight into them with a car and no ABS, despite all your attempts to steer around. And all that pulsating, knocking and groaning does sound like the brakes are not working...

The winter, if you live in an area that gets snow, is a great way to get the feel of ABS, with very little speed and danger.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chas2
Check the brakes at the dealer. The brakes on the RL really don't need beefing up. They are pretty darn good for luxury car driving. Now if you are tracking the car, that would be a different story...but who would track an RL?
Me It is actually a great tool for mucking around, just not quite light enough [or powerful enough]. Doh.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ing+the+legend

But seriously, the brakes took a hammering for all of 10 laps on a circuit which is pretty hard on brakes before they started to fade. No way could you approach those conditions on public roads!

As for ABS brakes, there are only a couple of very specific circumstances where us humans can improve on a modern ABS system. The first few generations did have pitfalls, but the programming gurus have taken care of most situations.
Old 12-07-2007, 12:20 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I hate to be the one that asks this, but are you familiar with the way ABS feels under "panic" braking? The brakes don't lock up and squeal the tires like in the old days - in fact, it feels like they are "slipping" a little as you try to jam the brake pedal into the floorboard.

Is it possible that's what you're feeling, and mistaking it for fade?

If not, I agree with the others - get them checked soon.

yah it's not the abs.. there wasn't the distinct chatter of the abs system kicking in.
i'm pretty dam sure it's brake fade.. just like how it felt when i took my rsx to the track before getting the hawk pads
Old 12-07-2007, 12:28 AM
Advanced

If your sure it isn't the ABS, then it could be brake "glazing". In continues stop/start traffic siuations, over time the rotor and pads develop a glaze, which severly affects brake performance. Easiest way to fix the problem, find a lonely, straight stretch of road, then do repeteated HARD stops until your brakes start to stink and smoke. Usually does the trick.
Old 12-07-2007, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sadlerau
Me It is actually a great tool for mucking around, just not quite light enough [or powerful enough]. Doh.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ing+the+legend

But seriously, the brakes took a hammering for all of 10 laps on a circuit which is pretty hard on brakes before they started to fade. No way could you approach those conditions on public roads!

As for ABS brakes, there are only a couple of very specific circumstances where us humans can improve on a modern ABS system. The first few generations did have pitfalls, but the programming gurus have taken care of most situations.
I am sorry for the comment, sadlerau. I forgot you did that down there where they give you Yokohama Advan Sport tires instead of the Michelin all seasons they give us here in the States. I very much enjoyed reading your accounts about that event and the other posts you contribute to here and on TOV!
Old 12-07-2007, 03:42 PM
Pro

Was it brake fade or did the pedal lose pressure and go further down to the floor?
Have you had any brake work done, new pads, fluid, anything.
Any accident with the car.
The RL has excellent brakes and you are most likely not getting brake fad from too much hard braking in a very short period of time.
We need to know more.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
The RL brakes will not show any evidence of fade in anything other than outright racing conditions. The RL's braking in general is stellar and has nothing to envy from my S2000, one of the best braking cars in the market. If you have fade something is definitely not right.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
Was it brake fade or did the pedal lose pressure and go further down to the floor?
Have you had any brake work done, new pads, fluid, anything.
Any accident with the car.
The RL has excellent brakes and you are most likely not getting brake fad from too much hard braking in a very short period of time.
We need to know more.

No brake work done.. I just hit 10k miles and everything is exactly the way it was when I took the car off the lot (besides one oil change but that's besides the point)

No accidents besides the gentle tap I gave to the BMW 525i

It definitely feels like brake fade for me, although, when I went over to an empty road to try to duplicate the fade again, I do feel the pedal sink a tiny bit towards a floor.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Advanced

The pedal sinking a "bit" towards the floor is normal for our braking system. I still think it might be "brake glaze" or possibly some pick up from the road which splashed onto your rotors and caused a once-off loss of brake performance. If you get a chance try the method I advised earlier. Not only is it good for your brakes [yes really] it also gives you the oportunity to experience just how good your brakes are! If the problem is still occuring then you do have a problem that the dealer will have to work on.

Chas2 no problem. I know no one expects to track our machine, but more should do it, to enjoy and learn more about our vehicles' very high capabilites. The trick is not to over-drive the car or your tyres. It never ceases to amaze me how some people go out on track days and do everything to destroy their tyres and car by over-driving. The important thing about a track day is to go out and learn as well as enjoy yourself and your equipement [including tyres]. Yes I know that is easier said than done

But I can still have fun driving around in the Legend, going 9 seconds a lap slower than in my race car. I wouldn't do it all the time, but as a learning experience it was quite useful. And fun!
Old 12-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by sadlerau
The pedal sinking a "bit" towards the floor is normal for our braking system. I still think it might be "brake glaze" or possibly some pick up from the road which splashed onto your rotors and caused a once-off loss of brake performance. If you get a chance try the method I advised earlier. Not only is it good for your brakes [yes really] it also gives you the oportunity to experience just how good your brakes are! If the problem is still occuring then you do have a problem that the dealer will have to work on.

Chas2 no problem. I know no one expects to track our machine, but more should do it, to enjoy and learn more about our vehicles' very high capabilites. The trick is not to over-drive the car or your tyres. It never ceases to amaze me how some people go out on track days and do everything to destroy their tyres and car by over-driving. The important thing about a track day is to go out and learn as well as enjoy yourself and your equipement [including tyres]. Yes I know that is easier said than done

But I can still have fun driving around in the Legend, going 9 seconds a lap slower than in my race car. I wouldn't do it all the time, but as a learning experience it was quite useful. And fun!
Ok I'll give it a try.. so I should get up to about highway speeds and brake hard to almost a complete stop and repeat several times??

And I agree with you about taking any car to the track. As I learned from taking my RSX to Thunderhill, you learn a lot about your car from even the first 15 minute session and it will help you enjoy your car more when you are driving daily.
I plan on taking the RL to the track when spring time comes around.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:47 PM
Pro

Be careful with this test, for if you have a bad master or something else it could be very dangerous.

You are under warranty, go to the dealer.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by kirbyflorida
Be careful with this test, for if you have a bad master or something else it could be very dangerous.

You are under warranty, go to the dealer.
what he said, you are under warranty...dealer time.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If your going to the track I would suggest Stainless Steel brakelines. Much stiffer than the oem rubber lines. When we switched we also upgraded to better brake fluid and did notice a performance improvement over the stock setup in just street driving. The pedal was alot more firm.