Rumor: 3rd Generation Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 05:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Lightbulb Rumor: 3rd Generation Hybrid

TOV is reporting a rumor that the 3rd generation RL will be a hybrid w/ 0% of a v8. It does not specify, so I hope that this does not mean that it will be a dedicated hybrid. A hybrid option would be nice but sales would be even worse than now if it came only as a hybrid, IMHO.

I think that the key to this would be if Acura can make the hybrid system as cheap as possible & not have a ~$3k premium ....
Old 12-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
ARGH. I'm think I'm almost done with Acura.

Strike one: fugly styling.

Strike two: No NSX. :thumbsdow --the TOV article says the NSX replacement is really, irretrievably, dead. Boooooooo!

Strike 3: Hybrid "flagship" sedan. Knowing how Acura provisioned the 2G RL as AWD only, I am quite sure they will offer the 3G RL ONLY as a hybrid. THAT would be a disaster sales-wise. AND they'd probably screw up the marketing again. We'll see how this actually turns out. If the hybrid system offers more power than the current NA engine, I'd be willing to look at it. I'm sure having an electric component would give us low-end torque.

Maybe I need to pick up my pitchfork, fly to Tokyo, and protest in front of Honda HQ.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Senior Moderator

OK, I could accept this drivetrain in the RL.

http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2001/aut...nit/index.html

Comments?
Old 12-07-2009, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
ARGH. I'm think I'm almost done with Acura.

Strike one: fugly styling.

Strike two: No NSX. :thumbsdow --the TOV article says the NSX replacement is really, irretrievably, dead. Boooooooo!

Strike 3: Hybrid "flagship" sedan. Knowing how Acura provisioned the 2G RL as AWD only, I am quite sure they will offer the 3G RL ONLY as a hybrid. THAT would be a disaster sales-wise. AND they'd probably screw up the marketing again. We'll see how this actually turns out. If the hybrid system offers more power than the current NA engine, I'd be willing to look at it. I'm sure having an electric component would give us low-end torque.

Maybe I need to pick up my pitchfork, fly to Tokyo, and protest in front of Honda HQ.
Bob, my Lease on my mercedes e-class is about to expire. I have tried buying an RL 3 times now, saturday was my 4th attempt at getting an RL(new from dealership). I thought you know what, ill do the RL this time. My dealer said, his 1 RL sat for 6months, after that, he stopped ordering them. so now I can't even test drive the car. have to order it!!

i felt so frustrated and tired of this, i can't even show my face in that Acura dealership anymore. They have nothing I want.

He tried to push me towards a MDX, i'm in my late 20's and single....what do i need an mdx for?!! I looked at TL...loved interior, just couldn't get over overstyled nose and rear. TSX too small. then nothing left. He suggested I come back in a few weeks to look at the all new 10' model MDX. I'm like uhh what for?! ....all new 6-speed!! blah blah. Acura seriously, 6-speed?? ur only 3yrs late(for a 7-speed!!).....and your dealer's dont even want to carry your flagship.

If anyone from Acura is reading this....i hope you all resign, ur doing a piss-poor job. Please get it together, I WANT TO give you my money. Take cadillac for example.......CTS great car(sure quality wise, lagging a bit)...they built that sucess into a Coupe(gorgeous)....and a beatiful Wagon. With V-variants coming. Acura, has no coupe, no convertible, no wagon(sorta coming). ZDX = FAIL.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
For the first time since I bought my Acura, my dealer is bereft of any RL's in new or used. I was just surfing the net the other day to see how many RL's were for sale within 50 miles radius of my location and I started with the local dealer. Makes you wonder about the future of the model when the prospective buyer can't even test drive because there aren't any on the lot!?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:24 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

I do not beleive any RL Rumors until I see a car. Which version is this rumor of the Mk 3 RL? There was a V10, a V8, a V6, now hybrid what next a 3 cyl based on a micro car with an ugly beak? Time for some substance not 15 million rumors.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:46 PM
Advanced

Acura built my loyalty over the years with great looking, great performing products, now, the erosion process is in full swing.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
yea Acura definitely going in the wrong direction, they need to restyle and introduce a Honda v-8 to the market as well as a nice honda/acura sports car.
If they want to sell any RL's they have to restyle because the 2009 is just a really luxurious TL
Old 12-08-2009, 02:16 PM
Needs to clean up

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Typically RL at the end of its cycles always becomes a Glorified TL... remember in 02/03 the TL-S was better than RL in specs and almost matched or bettered all features. Then the 04 TL was leaps and bound above 04 RL. Until the revised 05 came in it was a shame to say that RL was flagship. I see the same cycle repeating it self until the next gen RL debuts which, if the rumor mills are true, probably will be another 2-3 years.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Advanced

You know, if this was 1990, I might have some confidence that Honda/Acura would hit the sweet spot with the next RLegendo, but at the moment......

Seriously, the only way they can redeem themselves with the next RL [as a serious contender in it's market segment - which will HAVE to be S-class/BMW 7 territory] will be to have a thumping 350bhp V6 in the nose, and 20 - 40 KW electic motor/s in the rear properly geared so that it obviates the need for the SH-AWD transaxle. Class leading weight savings and technology would be a minimum. Anything less would be "pissing into the wind".

With all the engineer's coming back from F1, I would think that would be a minimum target.

Oh, and they need to find a decent marketing department, no make that A marketing department!

Last edited by sadlerau; 12-08-2009 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old 12-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
As others have mentioned, Acura is lost. They used to make captivating cars that stirred the soul and were reasonably priced. However, lately they have created some ghastly turds especially with that atrocity of a grill (power plenum).

I used get excited about Acura's upcoming models hoping to acquire the latest and greatest; however, lately when I see a new Acura I simply gasp in disgust. My thoughts then turn to how I can keep my existing Acuras running strong. When they do ultimately reach of point that they are no longer serviceable, if Acura doesn't straighten up, I'll just move on to another vendor as many others have on this & other Acura forums.

As for the death of the NSX, this is not a surpise to me. What they seemed to have developed was cool from the perspective that it had a V10, but otherwise fell short in the styling & body design. Acura set the standard in 1991 with the gorgeous mid engined NSX and anything short of that simply is not going to work. It seems that Honda/Acura executives have used every darn excuse to explain why it is not being produced. As others have mentioned before, one of the reasons the project may have been killed was that it didn't significantly stir the interest of the community and enthusiasts.

So all in all, Honda/Acura needs a really good enema.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sadlerau
You know, if this was 1990, I might have some confidence that Honda/Acura would hit the sweet spot with the next RLegendo, but at the moment......

Seriously, the only way they can redeem themselves with the next RL [as a serious contender in it's market segment - which will HAVE to be S-class/BMW 7 territory] will be to have a thumping 350bhp V6 in the nose, and 20 - 40 KW electic motor/s in the rear properly geared so that it obviates the need for the SH-AWD transaxle. Class leading weight savings and technology would be a minimum. Anything less would be "pissing into the wind".

With all the engineer's coming back from F1, I would think that would be a minimum target.

Oh, and they need to find a decent marketing department, no make that A marketing department!

I have to agree with you. The rumors would be more believable if the RL came in FWD or RWD(yeah right) but with the AWD I would have to say zero chances. If by any chance they do build one with the AWD, if Acura is listening, may the power of prayer be with you because they will need it and be ridiculed unless they have something up their sleeves. At this point I would not put it past them.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 420 Likes on 314 Posts
hate to buck the trend here, but I would welcome an RL hybrid. How about independent electric motors to each wheel to provide fully variable AWD?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
I wouldn't want a $55K hybrid... reminds too much of an expensive golf cart.

Hey Acura, News Alert: Drop the front-end treatment, fit in a "V-type" series eight cylinder, sit it on a RWD platform and you'll have a repeat RL buyer.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:15 PM
Safety Car

no offense, but sounds like a Nascar
I want to move forward in technology, not backward
Old 12-11-2009, 05:26 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
would rl owners pay...

$58,000 or more for a v8 hyped up Rl in this job market? why would Acura make such a car.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
I walked into my local Acura dealer and was looking into a 2010 RL they had in the showroom and of course the sales guy was trying to get me out of my 1st gen RL and into the 2010. I told him I'll wait until the next model, and asked him when was that coming. He also told me or rumors of a hybrid. I asked "Really!" He said who knows though. Lol

he seemed just as disapointed as the rest of us.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I thought we were talking about this a month ago?

I would guess the Dualnote Concept (Acura DN-X) will have much of the formula for the next Gen RL. And now the timing seems right.

300HP 3.5 I-TECH V6
100HP 3 motor IMA
400 Total HP
42 mpg
Active Torque Transfer System (aka SHAWD)
Voice Activated controls
Touch Sensitive Door Locking
Aluminum Body Structure

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=Dualnote

I personally will be waiting a model year, maybe two before writing my check. And yes, once again....assuming the styling does not vomit over the engineering. (Am I bitter? You betcha).
Old 12-11-2009, 06:16 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I thought we were talking about this a month ago?

I would guess the Dualnote Concept (Acura DN-X) will have much of the formula for the next Gen RL. And now the timing seems right.

300HP 3.5 I-TECH V6
100HP 3 motor IMA
400 Total HP
42 mpg
Active Torque Transfer System (aka SHAWD)
Voice Activated controls
Touch Sensitive Door Locking
Aluminum Body Structure

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=Dualnote

I personally will be waiting a model year, maybe two before writing my check. And yes, once again....assuming the styling does not vomit over the engineering. (Am I bitter? You betcha).
I'm with you, but I may have to pull the trigger sooner than later. Will break the 105K barrier soon.
Maybe we're the only ones into the hybrid becasue of our other big carbon footprint toys
Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by getakey
I'm with you, but I may have to pull the trigger sooner than later. Will break the 105K barrier soon.
Maybe we're the only ones into the hybrid becasue of our other big carbon footprint toys
Then I will wait for your one year report! I never buy 1st year and my RL just hit 28K miles today!

I do not want a hybrid for fuel efficiency alone. But to extend the performance and luxury of the RL. I do not want to compromise what I have now. But if ADDING Hybrid technology extends power and performance while doubling efficiency, I am very interested. Lexus is already treading this territory if lukewarm acceptance by the market. Honda's Accord Hybrid also breached the Prius perception of hybrids, but the market and timing was not ready to embrace it.

If the electric motors do two things to the existing RL,,,,,bring plentiful torque and dramatically improve efficiency, they can be a contender and I would buy.

Just as the Prius made econo hybrid sexy to the market, Acura, Lexus and Infinity can make hybrid RLs, LSs and Ms sexy to the luxury market. Expect the same from the Europeans who are using green diesels in the interim to hybrids.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Safety Car

Well said - I do not want to compromise performance with a hybrid either. I think it can improve performance certainly from a low end torque perspective.
A friend of mine has the all electric Tesla - certainly no lack of performance there. It would give Bob's ride a run for the money!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

It would give Bob's ride a run for the money!

LOL. I can see Bob now. With an electric sportscar,,,, the torque making him grin ear to ear. He would also have Jr. strapped in the back car seat making the 'Vroom Vroom' growls he would miss from the combustion engine exhaust note.
Old 12-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Safety Car

only one problem - no room for Jr. in that car. No back seat!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

only one problem - no room for Jr. in that car. No back seat!
Bob knows the many uses of duct tape.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, the little guy would have to be duct-taped in the trunk, along with the Trunk Monkey--click.

As I said above, I would accept a high-po IMA setup in the RL as this would give great mileage AND low-end torque. I'd wait a year, too, to be sure that the little gremlins are worked out. However, most people are not ready for a hybrid, and there would have to be a compelling V6 solution for the masses. Honda hasn't let on yet what their plan is, but I maintain my position that a hybrid-only RL would be a sales disaster, just as the SH-AWD-only RL has been a sales disaster (though lately that's been more due to inventory constraints than anything else).

Oh, and the next RL had BETTER be SLAMMING in the looks department or for me it's already DOA. I desperately want Acura to farm out the next RL's exterior design to a design house. Karmann? Pininfarina? Acurazine? Anybody but Honda/Acura?

Yes, I love my Cadi, but I'm a Honda fanboi at heart and want Acura to make something that will cause me to come back in a few years.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
not much new, but TOV reports rumors confirmed about the Acura move to "smart luxury" which includes hybrids done the "Acura" way, no V8 or rear wheel drive and an "amazing flagship model". The previously claimed FMC or MMC every 6 months has been slowed down to something once per year with a much slowed pipeline....another 9 years for the RL??? Let's hope not...

http://vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=868825
Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Senior Moderator

I read that and posted on the TOV yesterday. I dearly hope Acura doesn't screw up the next RL's looks....that will torch any fabulous new tech they are planning for this "amazing flagship model".