Is the RL worth the extra cost over the TL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the RL worth the extra cost over the TL?

I'm looking for feedback from those who have chosen the RL over the TL. What features of the RL compelled you to spend an extra $10-15k over the TL?

I'm currently in the market for a new car and am trying to decide between the two. I will get the navi system either way. I prefer a luxury ride over a sporty ride, and plenty of interior space. I've test driven both cars. While the RL feels roomier, the interior measurements posted on Acura's website are almost identical. The TL has almost all of the same technical amenities as the RL. I don't need AWD since I live in Sacramento Valley (no snow or ice). We have a Tacoma for trips to Tahoe. Despite the larger engine in the RL, the TL feels snappier, probably because its 500 lbs lighter. I can clearly tell the RL is more refined and higher tech, but I'm struggling to justify the extra cost, especially because I actually prefer the styling of the TL.

My wife is currently leaning towards the RL though, so your input might help us.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:40 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
That "worth it" question is a tough one to answer since it is laced with personal opinion. I traded my TL for the RL so for me the obvious answer is yes. I traded for the RL because I wanted an all wheel drive car again. I do like and enjoy the added techincal features, the uplevel fit and finish of the car and what I perceive to be a notch up in quality. It feels more solid on the road and performs pretty darn well for what it is. Don't get me wrong, I certainly did grimace a few times at the price differential, but you know, you buy what you like. I loved my TL and do miss certain things about it, but overall, I'm happy with my RL decision.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:47 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
I'm looking for feedback from those who have chosen the RL over the TL. What features of the RL compelled you to spend an extra $10-15k over the TL?

I'm currently in the market for a new car and am trying to decide between the two. I will get the navi system either way. I prefer a luxury ride over a sporty ride, and plenty of interior space. I've test driven both cars. While the RL feels roomier, the interior measurements posted on Acura's website are almost identical. The TL has almost all of the same technical amenities as the RL. I don't need AWD since I live in Sacramento Valley (no snow or ice). We have a Tacoma for trips to Tahoe. Despite the larger engine in the RL, the TL feels snappier, probably because its 500 lbs lighter. I can clearly tell the RL is more refined and higher tech, but I'm struggling to justify the extra cost, especially because I actually prefer the styling of the TL.

My wife is currently leaning towards the RL though, so your input might help us.
If you can get new 06 RL for 42K, it is defiantly worth the extra 6.5K or so. Buy it! (I am assuming TL fully loaded is $35.5K). If the price is more than $45K, than I would recommend thinking about it hard. (Just my opinion)
Old 03-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
One of the greatest misconceptions of Super Handling All Wheel Drive (SH-AWD) is that it is only for snow or hills. Basically SH-AWD lets the RL, which is a mid-sized sedan, turn corners like a smaller and lighter car. Also SH-AWD frees the RL of the torque steer that plagued some of the TLs.

SH-AWD is a feature I use every day, regardless of the weather. I feel it when I'm trying to make a difficult left turn from a complete stop. I feel it when I'm taking a sharp off ramp from an interstate highway. And yes, it also helps in inclement weather.

SH-AWD was the main reason why I chose the RL over the TL, but it wasn't the only reason. Other reasons include: 1) RL plays MP3's but the TL doesn't, 2) RL has a generally superior audio system to the TL, 3) RL's navigation system also does traffic (very helpful in DC), TL's doesn't, 4) the RL's Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) results in the RL being quieter than the TL, 5) RL has real wood TL has fake wood, 6) RL has more supple leather, 7) RL comes with a free year of XM, TL comes with free 90 days, 8) RL's headlights move with the steering wheel, TL's does not, 9) RL has keyless entry and starter, TL does not, 10) I like the way the TL looks, but I like the RL's conservative look better (I think the RL will age more gracefully).

There's nothing wrong with the TL, I just recommend you look at the details. I'm glad you asked the question.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Treblig
That "worth it" question is a tough one to answer since it is laced with personal opinion. I traded my TL for the RL so for me the obvious answer is yes. I traded for the RL because I wanted an all wheel drive car again. I do like and enjoy the added techincal features, the uplevel fit and finish of the car and what I perceive to be a notch up in quality. It feels more solid on the road and performs pretty darn well for what it is. Don't get me wrong, I certainly did grimace a few times at the price differential, but you know, you buy what you like. I loved my TL and do miss certain things about it, but overall, I'm happy with my RL decision.
Since you've owned both, did you find that the RL felt roomier than the TL?

Also, how much more advanced is the RL navi system (assuming you had one)?
Old 03-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Racer

For me, after driving the RL I couldn't imagine getting the TL personally. It was night and day for me in terms of power, room, quality, tech and just plain overall everything. I love the look of the sportiness of the TL especially with the a-spec pkg but I couldn't settle for it over the RL.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:29 PM
Drifting

Since you've owned both, did you find that the RL felt roomier than the TL?

Also, how much more advanced is the RL navi system (assuming you had one)?
The RL does feel roomier but also cozier if that makes sense.

The RL navi is more advance in that it offers more features and NavTraffic. The RL gives up the touch screen function, but you can literally "voice command" your way all around and thru the system. It will even tell you what commands, what addresses are on the screen so that you don't even have to look away from the road to make your choice.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Intermediate

I purchased the TL and after 3 days returned it and got an 06 RL. I agree with almost all the points listed above but there is one very compelling difference that sold me on the RL. The front seats are supremely comfortable and the seat is much deeper than on the TL. Thats not to say the TL seats are uncomfortable but they don't come close to the comfort of the RL. This is a significant factor for when I go on long drives.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Intermediate

when I say deeper I mean the seat extends further out under the thighs. I felt like I was sitting on the edge of the seat with the TL as compared to the RL
Old 03-07-2006, 06:17 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ralteredstates
...The front seats are supremely comfortable and the seat is much deeper than on the TL. Thats not to say the TL seats are uncomfortable but they don't come close to the comfort of the RL. This is a significant factor for when I go on long drives.
The leather is much softer and doesn't seem to "sag" (butt print) like the leather in the TL.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:07 PM
Dr. E in TN

The responses to your question are fantastic, and I agree with all of them. I almost bought a TL after test driving it. It is a great car. Consumer Reports magazine loves it. However, if you can afford the extra cash, the amazing attention to detail in the RL will amaze you as stated in some of the responses. You will not be disappointed either way. It is simply a question of economics and whether or not you can afford to spend a little more for a significantly nicer car. The RL is not for everybody, but it was for me. The only way I will be trading mine in is if the new 2007 Lexus LS 600hL lives up to all of the hype I am reading about it, but again, I am not excited about spending into another price category once again. Great question and even greater responses!
Old 03-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Instructor

The superior handling alone is worth the extra money to me. The TL looks sportier and I used to like it better, but the looks of the RL has quietly grown on me and I like it better now. Much nicer interior, most comfortable seats, it feels much more substantial and even though the interior dimensions are very similar the RL just feels much more spacious, especially the area around the driver and the ingress to the back seat area. If you have the extra money and you don't mind too much spending it on a far superior car, buy the RL, it won't disappoint you.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yup, the RL is ALL about the details.

Now, wouldn't it be nice if Acura salespeople could explain to potential customers as well as you all did on this board today? THAT is what will increase RL sales.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:53 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Yup, the RL is ALL about the details.

Now, wouldn't it be nice if Acura salespeople could explain to potential customers as well as you all did on this board today? THAT is what will increase RL sales.
My salesman was GREAT and explained all of this and more to me but I bet it's not that way everywhere from what I've read and know about dealerships.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:51 AM
Instructor

Here in Cleveland we just had the National Auto Show. I like the RL but also thought I would like the A6, M35, and GS300 but I did'nt like any of them as much as the RL. I must have spent about 4 hours at the show going back and forth between cars from Acura, Lexus, Infiniti and, Audi.

The RL is not my favorite exterior but it's certainly my favorite interior of the bunch and the price is much better. and the Navi to me is still the best...
Old 03-08-2006, 10:48 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by stingerbtry
My salesman was GREAT and explained all of this and more to me but I bet it's not that way everywhere from what I've read and know about dealerships.
Our salesman is terrific too. Very honest, laid back, not at all pushy. He even said "I'm VERY excited about the RL, but if you want to buy the TL, that's fine too. We actually make more profit on the TL. But if you can afford the extra cost, the RL is a terrific car. You won't be disappointed."

Considering that he stated up front that he's willing to go down to around $44k on the RL, it will be a tempting choice.

My wife and I discussed this last night and agreed that we are going to go back to the dealer in a few weeks (when we are ready to buy), have the salesman park an RL right next to a TL, and REALLY look them both over very carefully, to get a better sense of how the details differ. We've already driven both cars twice, but the test drives happen so fast and it's hard to pick up all the details in 30 minutes of driving. I'm even looking into whether we can rent one for a day, but that's a long-shot.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:12 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

I've owned a two TL's -- one '03 S-Type and an '04 TL. I now own a 2005 RL. All of them were/are exceptional cars. So, was the change to the RL worht it, yes, but it wasn't an easy choice for me because I loved the '04 TL so much. The fact that it wasn't actually $15K more (more like $7K-$8K difference), made the choice a bit easier. The RL feels bigger -- although it's not a lot bigger. It feels more solid and more luxurious than the TL. However, the TL feels quicker and more nimble -- and gets better fuel mileage. I'm pretty sure the TL is not as much quicker than the RL as it seems, but it does feel that way. Handling is also decieving in the RL. It feels bigger and feels heavier (it is) than the TL but after having drivne the RL for a while now, I'm convinced that the RL actually handles better than the TL did -- and that's saying something. The better handling in the RL is a direct result of the SHAWD. Don't think if it as just something for the snow. Another things that is much better in the RL is the Navi. Much better voice control and features. The entire RL is about the details.

So for me, the extra handling, the extra luxury, fit and finish, etc made the extra $7K-$8K difference very worth it to me.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:16 AM
Instructor

I agree it's completely subjective. But the actual increase in cost is 7-8k not 10-15K as originally suggested.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by atomarchio
I agree it's completely subjective. But the actual increase in cost is 7-8k not 10-15K as originally suggested.
I will be able to confirm the actual cost difference when I sit down with the salesman and negotiate. He implied that he could be bargained down to about $33k on the TL w/ navi and $43k on the RL, but that's just what he threw out there. The Edmunds Invoice data seems to confirm this: Invoice on RL is $44,500 and on TL w/nav is $32,800. Not sure how much stock I should put in the Invoice numbers, or whether this dealer can be convinced to sell us an RL below invoice. From the posts on this forum, it looks like the low end that RL's are selling for is around $42k.

So I'm not seeing how the cost difference could be as low as $7k, unless comparing negotiated RL price with MSRP on the TL. But if the difference in actual cost is really that low, then I'm more likely to select the RL.

One thing that continues to make me nervous about the RL is the added complexity of the SH-AWD. I just don't want major maintenance headaches later.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:40 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
So I'm not seeing how the cost difference could be as low as $7k
....must be a TL A-spec w/Navi versus a discounted RL.
Old 03-08-2006, 03:30 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I own both a '04 TL (wife) & '05 RL (me).

No question the RL is more refined, better interior materials. The ride is more luxury than the TL. Drive both cars for about 1 hour at the dealer, TL first than the RL. You should notice a difference...

We wanted a luxury car with NAV for weekends and trips. Since our TL didn't have NAV, it was hard to get a smaller TSX with NAV (smaller than a TL or RL). I got a pretty good deal on the RL and went for it.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Retired MOD

For me NO and YES. No because the biggest feature I like in the RL is the SH-AWD, but without it or if the TL had it, I would buy the TL. One thing I love about the TL is 6-speed, there are other 6-speed cars available, but not with power, luxury and a Honda engine!!!!!!!!!!1

The biggest factor I would choose the RL over the TL, is that the TL is too popular. I love that the RL only sells 700 a month, gotta love driving the only car of a kind in your neighborhood.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Bitium
I love that the RL only sells 700 a month, gotta love driving the only car of a kind in your neighborhood.
That's going away more and more for me now that I see a few of them almost everyday here. I'm actually glad to see that it seems to be getting more popular.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Bitium
I love that the RL only sells 700 a month, gotta love driving the only car of a kind in your neighborhood.
That's probably the one upside to the RL's sales woes.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if there is any engineering reason why the RL doesn't have an optional manual transmission? I remember when the 2nd generation TL came out, it was auto-only until about 2001.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:18 PM
Senior Moderator

I wonder if there is any engineering reason why the RL doesn't have an optional manual transmission? I remember when the 2nd generation TL came out, it was auto-only until about 2001.
I cant imagine there'd be any engineering hangups, but I'm certain there are some marketing reasons (and maybe some financial reasons) as to why the RL doesnt have an optional manny tranny.

It's safe to say that the vast majority of buyers in the RL's category prefer a buttery smooth slushbox versus a row-it-yourself.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Retired MOD

I'm gueasing you are refering to the SH-AWD system? if so no, because I have seen videos of a Honda inspire with 6-speed and SH-AWD.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

I wonder if a manual would increase RL sales any? I wonder if it would be worth the cost? Maybe Acura could actually charge extra for a manual?
Old 03-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
One word answer: Yes.

I had a TL - which I think is a better looking car - but the quality and components are NOWHERE NEAR the RL.

Is the RL worth $42-54k? That's for you to decide.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:53 PM
'06 RL

I wonder if a manual would increase RL sales any? I wonder if it would be worth the cost? Maybe Acura could actually charge extra for a manual?
I doubt it would. Most people in the market for a luxury sedan dont want to shift gears themseves. Their wives would never drive the thing.....

If they had a really good manumatic, though (a REAL manumatic, not a Chrysler-style "paddle shift" that still shifts when it wants to) it might help.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well, there might be a few BMW drivers who beg to differ. . .
Old 03-10-2006, 03:58 PM
'06 RL

Well, there might be a few BMW drivers who beg to differ. . .
Yep. A *few*. What other make has an auto offered in this country on a car in this market segment?
Old 03-10-2006, 04:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Infiniti?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by jftjr
I doubt it would. Most people in the market for a luxury sedan dont want to shift gears themseves. Their wives would never drive the thing.....

If they had a really good manumatic, though (a REAL manumatic, not a Chrysler-style "paddle shift" that still shifts when it wants to) it might help.
Although I'd love to see a 6MT version of the M45 Sport, with your post.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
Interesting thread.

I'm thinking of getting rid of my TL and getting an RL.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Minor correction: the 2G TL was NEVER manual (I owned one, I know). It had the SportShift, but all TLs had that. It was the 2G CL Type-S that had the 6MT. It wasn't until the 3G TL that the TL had the optional manual.

I think the RL is a great looking car and last year I was seriously considering trading my TL for it. I could have negotiated the purchase down to $44k or so, the features are worth the upgrade at that price (but definitely not at MSRP). I ultimately decided, however, to get out of my pattern of car purchases every two years, part of my personal debt reduction plan. I am in the process of modding my TL instead, and I'll likely trade up in another couple of years, at the end of the model run.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by jftjr

Who wants to let their wife drive the car???? too bad my wife knows how to drive stick, can race and has a PhD.