RL VS Jaguar XF

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
RL VS Jaguar XF

After seeing how ugly the new RL will be, me and the lady went out to see what else we might replace our 06 with. The only car I have driven that came close was the new Cadillac CTS. However I am not a fan of American cars, so very leery to purchase that. So tonight we went to the Jaguar open house in Chantilly, VA. I already read up on the car, but what I saw was what everyone here says they want the RL to be! What a car! V8, rear wheel drive, one of the most gorgeous cars inside and out I have seen. B&W audio system(very very nice). navi, voice commands and all the regular stuff you would expect in a high end car.

Out for the test drive, and the car is silky smooth, I did not feel the tranny shift at all.
When I stomped on the peddle, the engine made a glorious noise, but I am not sure thats sound belongs in a luxury car. The engine at wot was much louder than the RL's, but it was not objectionable, just had a race car sound if you like that sought of thing. Handling was very very good, and better than the RL It had handling characteristics of a BMW in the curves. This is the first car I have been in, that made the RL feel cheap when I got back in it. The fit and finish in the Jag was just superb.
This is the first car I have driven that put a smile on my ladies face. She gotta have it!
I would like to hear someones else opinion of the car. Want to make sure I am not dreaming. WE are going to wait till all the noise about this car dies down ,so we can do better then MSRP. Right now the car is just hot. Not a good time to buy. Our RL lease has a few months to go, so we can be patient. Hate to leave the Rl family but this car it just too good, and the 09 RL is just too ugly. The new TSX is ugly too and to me they destroyed the interior, so I guess I will be holding on to my 06 for awhile. Sure hope ACura does not destroy the TL, because thats all that got left in my book.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:00 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
"made the RL feel cheap when I got back in it" Grrrrrrrrr.

Even though I like the look of the new Jaguar, I personally wouldn't go that direction because AWD is a necessity where I live.

It seems to me that Jaguars are notorious for having transmission problems. But since I don't follow that brand maybe they have corrected their reliability issues.

Bottom line; It's your money and if the car exites you and yours as you suggest, then go for it. Good luck
Old 03-29-2008, 05:02 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
However, that Jag will be in and out of the service dept. Will need you to buy a extended warranty!!! Our Rl will be still on the road Your Jag will be in the Junkyard. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:27 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by christopher1
However, that Jag will be in and out of the service dept. Will need you to buy a extended warranty!!! Our Rl will be still on the road Your Jag will be in the Junkyard. Good luck.
That might have been the case when Jaguar was owned by ford. I say do your research first.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:41 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Jaguar has been this way since day one....they are sexy cars that break often. I would buy an American car(gasp) before I'd buy a Jaguar.

To the OP; buy and 08 RL...great deals!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:32 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Indeed, Jaguar is a iconic sexy car. I had a 1974 XKE V-12 convertible (sans the Union Jack on the bonnet). And even though it needed carb tweeking for every ride, it was a very rewarding car to drive, own and bathe in it's iconic image.

It is a shame Tata will be using Jaguar and Range Rover to elevate itself into luxury brand status. I think it will further impede the two brand's ability to rise above quality quirks and durability reputation....moreso than Ford ownership.

As aware of Jaguar's rep for durability, I am still drawn to them and respect the iconic image and sexy styling. The new XF looks to be a serious attempt by Jaguar. I love the styling and the sophisticated details. It is different yet mature, the Transformers were left in the Kiddie playroom.

I hope the model succeeds despite the brand ownership changes. It is a valliant effort.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm actually a big fan of the XF. Jaguar has really improved its products greatly. The XF is the first Jag to head in this new direction of luxury, sport, and reliability. They invested many dollars and testing to perfect this ride and I believe that the bar has been raised for other Jags to follow. Acura's reliabilty is still top notch, but now the competitors are taking aim.

Acura must improved their designs and give the customer what they desire without compromising its heritage. I've seen a lot of threads about other cars on this forum, which means Acura's fan base is seeking change. (not a good sign for profits)

Maybe Acura should turn that gigantic grill on their new RL upside down because it will be a sad day.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

They may have problems with the Jag, but since I am leasing, its a non issue. I don't buy high-end luxury cars. All maintenance is covered during the lease. The major components of this car have been out 3 years and there has been no particular problem with it. Again if you have not seen the seen the xf you should. Whether it has trouble or not, when it running its much better that the RL. When it comes to interior, exterior, there is no comparison, not to mention the 09Rl. What a mess.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:41 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by SlimTL
Acura must improved their designs and give the customer what they desire without compromising its heritage. I've seen a lot of threads about other cars on this forum, which means Acura's fan base is seeking change. (not a good sign for profits)

Maybe Acura should turn that gigantic grill on their new RL upside down because it will be a sad day.
Indeed! Acura's current styling trend seems to e less mature, less sophisticated and more about shock and attention.

When I look at a 15 year old LEGEND and the 09 RL, I see a regression in style. In a LEGEND I see handsome, tasteful, mature, intelligent. In an 09 RL I see: HEY! LOOK AT ME!

I remember when I first saw an 05 RL in an autoshow, I thougt to myself, that is a very elegant, mature styled car. It is kinda 'Jaguar-esque' And the best thing about Jaguar styling is that you KNOW it is a Jaguar.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:02 AM
Proboscis-free zone

Hmmm...that is a sexy looking ride. Compared to the current RL, the side view looks more, uh, feline. The roofline reminds me of Lexus. The front is very muscular, with a grille that looks like what Audi should have done. The rear looks like a mash-up between a Bangled 7-series and the ginormous fugly chrome crossbar of the 2009 RL. The interior is very retro to my eye, though admittedly it works. With the low roofline I'd worry about headroom and exterior visibility.

All things considered, I'll stick with the RL. For now.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:08 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Based on everything I read and see, Ford's ownership of Jaguar was the best thing that ever happened to it (even though my British friends don't agree - but for purely sentimental reasons).

Prior to Ford's buying them, Jaguar was a cottage industry car, with antiquated manufacturing facilities and equipment, crummy electrics, questionable drivetrains and poor quality control. Great coachwork, yes, but it was just good makeup on an old lady.

Ford brought modern equipment and mfg. practices to Jag, as well as reliable mechanicals and electronics. They allowed Jaguar to keep steering the styling, but took them into the 21st Century under the skin. The XF is probably the first "real" new Jag since everything got modernized, and it's a shame Ford couldn't hold on longer. Tata made a killing by capitalizing on Ford's huge expenditures and getting Jag for a song.

My only concern about buying one would be the skimpy dealer network and what Tata might be planning to do with Jaguar in th next few years. If they support it and promote it, and the lines of communication between here and India aren't too long, it will probably be okay. But it will still be a boutique car to some extent.

If you're leasing, you're probably going to be fine. I wouldn't worry too much about quality or reliability myself. I figure this car has been engineered as well as any. It's beautiful, it's quick, it's exclusive and the price isn't bad.

I'd say go for it and be sure to post some pix and give us a review after you get some miles on it!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I traded my 02 X-type 3.0 sport for my 06 RL because of quality and end of warranty. Huge hit in depreciation. But, even the X has it over the RL in looks and passion. It drove great but was very unreliable, maybe because it was an early first year production. The new XF has many new electronics (dash and tranny selector)that may be a concern long term but the powertrain is tried and true and probably is not an issue. I would wait a year or so and lease or purchase a CPO vehicle. JAg has the best rated CPO program and since there is such a large depreciation(historiclally) the price will be better.

Go to Windingroad.com they just did a comparo of the CTS vs XF. Dead heat and they feel the competitor based on size is the 5 series.

I live in Cleveland and AWD is a must based on my experience and long commute. The RL is excellent in bad weather, but I just am left uninspired by the exterior look of the 09 RL.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:42 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

The XF is very intriquing to me.It offers all of the toys I want & is a very appealing package. I would not buy the 1st year model & will want to see how Tata's quality will be. I like the package best of the comp, better than the M or 5 series, but the new E class will be out next year & if it is similar to the C it should be a good choice also.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
The XF is hot, but not droolworthy. I'd wait to buy until after the first year. I don't think Tata's ownership makes a difference as this model was created under Ford's leadership of the company.

Originally Posted by kssod
I just am left uninspired by the exterior look of the 09 RL.
You are too kind to that hideous front end. "Uninspired" is only the beginning!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:50 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by neuronbob
The XF is hot, but not droolworthy.
What!? You tapped out?

We better test the plumbing Bob....

Think "CTS -V", repeat "CTS-V"

*running for the mop*
Old 03-31-2008, 08:16 AM
office monkey

I saw one of these last week in a parking lot and first thought it was a maserati quattroporte as I BRIEFLY glanced at it. It wasn't until I drove by and saw it was a Jag that I knew it was well, a Jag as I had not heard/seen pics of this new model.

It is one sexy looking car and no doubt to me looks better in person than in pics which I am looking at right now.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:38 AM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
i didnt read above, idk if this was shared: but Jag was taken over by ford. my family has owned ALL fords for years! and i am the only one thats "weird" having the acura [CL as you see]. Anyway, all fords have electrical problems, and this HAS carried over to previous jaguars! I think they could have fixed this problem b/c they totally redesigned everything, but beware:

electrical on older jags WILL go bad by 60,000miles...

if you wont keep a car that long as it doesnt look like it, then buy the XF. IT IS A WAY BETTER CAR. i drove in my buddies Jag Stype, it is 2x more luxrious than my CL, so maybe 1.5x more luxurious than the RL [in terms of fit and finish, etc...the details]

a supercharegd V8 for the right buyer destroys the RL in my book, but then again, im 18 and would love that engine!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
stopped by the local Jag/BMW/Maserati dealer today. the XF is very nice, almost like the Maserati. Most cars were the premium luxury with a few options and had a MSRP for 59k. On the Jag site the supercharged XF is 62k and has every available option standard except adaptive cruise and heated steering wheel. To me this would be a no brainer 100 extra hp for 3k, and is a steal compared to the BMW 5 or E.
If only an AWD version was available.
The only negative is that the wheels are boring compared to Jags of the past few years, very similar to the ones on the RL. I would hope to get the modular 3 piece wheels like on the XKR.
I wonder of Tata will offer the Ford A plan?
Old 03-31-2008, 08:45 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 04acptizzy
That might have been the case when Jaguar was owned by ford. I say do your research first.
I feel the same way.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
The TATA deal is not even consumated yet. I think by second quarter is the forecast. This is a Ford developed car through and through. I think Ford spent a lot of money getting Jaguar into the 21st century with modern manufacturing, quality control and logistics techniques. TATA will reap the benefits if they can keep the Jaguar unit on track.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:24 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Chas2
The TATA deal is not even consumated yet. I think by second quarter is the forecast. This is a Ford developed car through and through. I think Ford spent a lot of money getting Jaguar into the 21st century with modern manufacturing, quality control and logistics techniques. TATA will reap the benefits if they can keep the Jaguar unit on track.
Indeed. Car design and execution is years before the launch. The XF and current models will carry the Jaguar of Ford legacy for a few years to come. TATAs influence (for better or worst) will 1st show up in sales, service and operations. Likely they have also purchased next gen model plans that were in the works and may choose to execute them as well. The only thing TATA in the near future is TATA to Ford.

I do like this car and I expect it will have Jaguar refinement and feel, regardless of the durability concerns. What a shame it does not have the opportunity to revive the brand without ownership change.

What cracks me up about the XF are the numerous references to the profile being very Lexus GS. The 1st Gen Lexus GS was a design by Pininfarina which is now the source of the Lexus signature style called 'L-Finesse'.

Pininfarina had designed what was to become the Lexus GS originally for Jaguar. Jag passed on the design thinking it was too modern for Jaguar. Lexus scoffed up the design, and the rest is history. Now the style finally makes it to Jaguar, possibly as a hit (it is to me), but just at a time when the company is sold with a waning reputation.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dwest1023
They may have problems with the Jag, but since I am leasing, its a non issue. I don't buy high-end luxury cars. All maintenance is covered during the lease. The major components of this car have been out 3 years and there has been no particular problem with it. Again if you have not seen the seen the xf you should. Whether it has trouble or not, when it running its much better that the RL. When it comes to interior, exterior, there is no comparison, not to mention the 09Rl. What a mess.
How much is the leasing? I do love the XF inside and out. Wish they license SH-AWD from Honda. I might just least it too, if the price is right. I don't drive that often with the gas price being that high and I don't speed that much with the kind of traffic us NOVA-ians has to deal with.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Pan0k
How much is the leasing? I do love the XF inside and out. Wish they license SH-AWD from Honda. I might just least it too, if the price is right. I don't drive that often with the gas price being that high and I don't speed that much with the kind of traffic us NOVA-ians has to deal with.

I did not talk much about leasing at this point. There are no deals on this hot car, right now. Wait it out if you can. Remember the RL? 52 for tech package, 42 we bought.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dwest1023
I did not talk much about leasing at this point. There are no deals on this hot car, right now. Wait it out if you can. Remember the RL? 52 for tech package, 42 we bought.
Bummer. I could wait, not a big deal. I thought maybe they have one of those introductory low leasing price.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
What cracks me up about the XF are the numerous references to the profile being very Lexus GS. The 1st Gen Lexus GS was a design by Pininfarina which is now the source of the Lexus signature style called 'L-Finesse'.

Pininfarina had designed what was to become the Lexus GS originally for Jaguar. Jag passed on the design thinking it was too modern for Jaguar. Lexus scoffed up the design, and the rest is history. Now the style finally makes it to Jaguar, possibly as a hit (it is to me), but just at a time when the company is sold with a waning reputation.
I think that you will find that Jaguar passed it up because it was ugly. Jaguars have always looked great and have always turned heads. They never will endorse boring and now that Lexus have the market covered in boring it doesn't make sense to compete. Also, Jag is European and europeans will not endorse boring looks, driving or reputation. (They will, however, tolerate "quirks - Saab, Citroen, Alfa etc..
Old 04-04-2008, 05:15 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Saw the XF in person today at the Dallas Auto Show, and I think it's awesome looking. And the price isn't bad - I wouldn't have been surprised to see a $65,000 price tag on it.

A couple of things bothered me, though ... on one of the two XF's on display, the trunklid wasn't lined up well, and I saw some noticeable uneven gaps on the hood of that car, too. And on BOTH of them, the passenger-side exhaust finisher was sticking out a full inch and a half farther than the driver's side. Enough to be really noticeable, since those chrome finishers are pretty good-sized.

Maybe that's just early production sloppiness, but the guy on the right-hand side of the line needs to get with the guy on the left side and agree how far the finishers should stick out past the bumper.

Otherwise, that's one sexy-looking car. I just wonder how TATA's ownership is going to affect things ...

Old 04-05-2008, 10:20 AM
Advanced

I don't know, must be me. The local Jaguar dealer (Rahal) has an XF out front and when you drive by, your view is mostly profile. To me, that profile view just looks like a Buick! The looks of the XF just don't grab me for some reason like 05-08 RL or say the 3 series coupe (which I think is just luscious).

Then of course, my old British car prejudices come into play in terms of reliability especially. Having been a Honda/ Acura driver since 1990, I'm pretty spoiled when it comes to overall quality & reliability. The first Honda V6 engine I drove was a 91 Legend and the smoothness & turbine like power of this engine impressed me so much, I just had to have it. I hadn't felt anything like that since my 6 cyl BMW days in the 70's (had a 2002 followed by a Bavaria, 2.8 liter that I fitted with dual downdraft Weber carbs... smooth & fast).

Anyway, I just don't find the Jags as pretty anymore and the looks of this new one just leave me cold. The thought of potential reliability issues just scare me to death.