Rl - Tl

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by TriniBwoy
Now to say the TL is a bit short on power is quite puzzling to me. There must be a reason why car and driver, for example, complain about torque steer on TL's.
I know the TL, and you are right. The TL, even with its (adjusted) 258 HP, had plenty of pull and accelerated like a bat out of He11 with its AT's gearing. However, now that I own an RL, I fully understand how much torque steer there was on the TL. When I launch the RL, SH-AWD shifts much of the power to the rear wheels, and I have noticed I don't have to hold the steering wheel as hard as on the TL.

With that said, the torque steer on the TL wasn't THAT bad, it was tolerable and actually better than many other high-powered FWD cars. And in addition, the interior of the TL can't be beat in its price range--its logical and tasteful arrangement is one of the car's best features. It even beats the RL for organization of the center stack.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Indian Acura Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL (Total Luxury) sells pretty well actually
No. Touring Luxury.

TSX - Touring Sports Experience
TL - Touring Luxury
RL - Road Luxury
MDX - ?
RDX - ?
NSX - New Sports Experience
RSX - Road sports experience
Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Paying $15K more for the things you mentioned doesn't seem to worth it at all. Given the number of TL's on the road, alot of ppl agree with me.
Although whether the RL is worth $15K more than the TL is certainly a matter of opinion, I don't think you can reasonable draw the conclusion that you do above. I've had two TL's before I got my current RL and loved them both (now all three). I didn't immediately get the RL because finances didn't allow it at the time. So, it may be that people don't get the Rl because the can't -- rather than a specific choice -- at least in all cases.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:20 AM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
did you just make all those names up?

Originally Posted by Brown Chaos
No. Touring Luxury.

TL - Touring Luxury
RL - Road Luxury
MDX - ?
RDX - ?
Old 10-10-2006, 03:32 PM
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown Chaos
No. Touring Luxury.

TL - Touring Luxury
RL - Road Luxury
MDX - ?
RDX - ?
MDX - Multi Dimensional Crossover(X)
Old 10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Instructor

I just had my TL in for service today and they gave me an 06 RL as a loaner. Now I am completly torn, do I get a left over RL or a 07 TL Type-S for roughly the same price? The RL has a much smoother ride and the seats are much more comfy. I love all the toys in the RL but the center controlls (Navi, Radio etc.) seems a lot more confusing and a bit of a pain in the ass with the confrol nob. And I will admit as I from day one was not at all interested in hearing about this SH-AWD business, but that car handles amazingly well and didn't seem all that slower than my TL. Granted there was a noticable difference, but not a lot. The only real bad thing about that RL that really bothered me was the interior looked real nice and well put together, until I looked down at the shifter. You have all these leather appointed surfaces and wood trim, and then you have cheap crappy plastic center console. (it was silver on black if that makes a difference) Other than that it was a nice ride.

And worst of all since I got my TL back I hate my seats. Damn Sunnyside Acura, they did this to me on purpose.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:28 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
The knob is very intuitive. I sugges you play around with it a bit.

I had the touchscreen nav in my old TL, and in my Landcruiser, and I don't miss a thing at all with the knob in the RL. Actually I mostly use the voice commands, but when I do use the knob, I don't have any issues.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
gdfthr, it takes a bit of time to get used to the functions and controls on the RL, but once you get the hang of things it's very efficient and easy to use I think. In the snow the sh-awd will come really handy too.
Old 10-10-2006, 07:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Touge
gdfthr, it takes a bit of time to get used to the functions and controls on the RL, but once you get the hang of things it's very efficient and easy to use I think. In the snow the sh-awd will come really handy too.
This is totally true. I have had my car almost three weeks and I only got around to adjusting the stereo settings this week. I haven't even started fooling around with the navi yet. I'm only halfway through the manual. Just waiting for more time off to do this, and admittedly I care more about the driving dynamics right now (see sig).
Old 10-11-2006, 06:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by gdfthr
I just had my TL in for service today and they gave me an 06 RL as a loaner. Now I am completly torn, do I get a left over RL or a 07 TL Type-S for roughly the same price? The RL has a much smoother ride and the seats are much more comfy. I love all the toys in the RL but the center controlls (Navi, Radio etc.) seems a lot more confusing and a bit of a pain in the ass with the confrol nob. And I will admit as I from day one was not at all interested in hearing about this SH-AWD business, but that car handles amazingly well and didn't seem all that slower than my TL. Granted there was a noticable difference, but not a lot. The only real bad thing about that RL that really bothered me was the interior looked real nice and well put together, until I looked down at the shifter. You have all these leather appointed surfaces and wood trim, and then you have cheap crappy plastic center console. (it was silver on black if that makes a difference) Other than that it was a nice ride.

And worst of all since I got my TL back I hate my seats. Damn Sunnyside Acura, they did this to me on purpose.
I started this thread and I will reiterate my opinion: There is NO comparison. (OK - they both have 4 wheels).
Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 AM
Celestial Silver 05 RL

I've had a TL for the past few days as a loaner while my RL is in service. I must say the TL is a fun car to drive!!!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
NO COMPARISON!! Now, if y'all can just convince the fellows over at Temple of VTEC that there is no comparison between the RL and the TL. . .
Old 10-12-2006, 03:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
NO COMPARISON!! Now, if y'all can just convince the fellows over at Temple of VTEC that there is no comparison between the RL and the TL. . .
What about the TL Type S and the RL?...still no comparison? They basically have the same engine
Old 10-12-2006, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Same engine but sending that power through the front wheels is no fun on the Type S imho
Old 10-12-2006, 10:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Touge
Same engine but sending that power through the front wheels is no fun on the Type S imho

Torque steer is not fun. Now that I own the RL, I can actually say that!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Torque steer is wicked AND evil.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
What about the TL Type S and the RL?...still no comparison? They basically have the same engine
Correct - "Still No Comparison". It's not the engine, it's the car - the TL is a totally different car, I see very few similarities. G35/TL = maybe. M35/RL = maybe. TL/RL = never.