From RL to TL

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 01:01 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From RL to TL

While I am waiting for my claim to be settle, I am now contemplating whether to save the money downgrading from 05 RL to 06 TL, since my 05 RL is totaled. The dealer wants $3,500 more for an 06 RL. I just cant justifying paying the $3,500 more for a newer year model and $13,000 more than a 06 TL. Can anyone tell me why i might regret this? or if this is a good decision?
Old 01-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Well, I just went in the opposite direction, from TL to RL. They are different cars, as I'm sure you know, and they provide much pleasure and satisfaction for different reasons. The TL is much "sportier" (particularly A-Spec equipped, which mine was). I am finding that the RL feels more "solid" and by design more luxurious. The fit and finish appears to be a level above and its list of technological features and creature comforts are fun to live with. It is also very entertaining to drive (A-Spec equipped). For my purposes, it would be hard to go back to the TL although if I were abl, I would own both. Maybe you can negotiate that $3,500 difference down to a more "acceptable" amount.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Instructor

its really tough to downgrade from one of the best cars i driven. but yeah there are pros and cons for both sides. I really love the keyless entry and engine start on the RL but i also like the touch screen on the TL better. and to pocket $13 grands seem like ideal for now. but its just tough to part from this great car. Even my gf likes the RL a lot better. I tried to bargain more but thats the best they will do. decisions, decisions...
Old 01-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I certainly don't envy you. $13G is a lot to part with or keep in your pocket. After all the agonizing, you'll make the right decision for you.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Is there any way you can get ahold of a 2005 RL? That might reduce the price difference.
Old 01-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
Is there any way you can get ahold of a 2005 RL? That might reduce the price difference.
Agreed. If you can find one reasonably priced, you could have the best of both worlds - a nice RL to drive AND the extra cash in your pocket.
Old 01-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Instructor

yeah so far i seen used ones selling for almost the price i paid for a brand new 05 at the end of the year.
Old 01-18-2006, 04:20 PM
Racer

Sigh. How can anyone tell you what to do? Only -you- can decide if you want to buy an RL or not.

Frankly the mere fact that you're waffling tells me you shouldn't do it. Your heart isn't in it and you'l regret spending the money. Bad thing is, once you look at the TL there are dozens of other cars that now compete for your money. So now you like the TL, how about saving another $10K (or whatever) by getting a TSX instead? And then another $10K by getting a used Accord?

I really don't understand how two options with a $13K price difference can be on the table. Decide what you want to spend and then pick the car.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:32 PM
Instructor

I wont go that far as comparing the RL to an accord. i am just asking the ppl who has owned both cars if there is such a big difference between the 2. and based on their experience after driven both that if they would have pocket the money and keep the TL. i never owned the TL so i cant really say if i would like it and even test driving for such a short time is not going to tell me everything. for example, RL's seats are so compfy that i dont feel any pain at all after 2 hours drive but for a recent accord, i cant say the same.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by wasabe918
I wont go that far as comparing the RL to an accord.
Well neither did I. If you think I did you missed the point.

The TL is a great car I'm sure. It's so great that everyone has one. You can't seriously compare it against an RL. It's in a different class. Just like the TL is in a different class than the Accord or TSX.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:23 PM
4th Gear

We just bought the 06 RL. Went in thinking we would buy the TL, but the ride was just too nice on the RL. In our minds, the looks were a lot better as well. The final straw was AWD on the RL.

The price wasn't *that* different between the two. The dealer knocked quite a bit off the RL for us, which upsold us nicely.

Having said that, we are thrilled with the RL so far!

rod.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Congrats on the new RL!
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

Originally Posted by wasabe918
I wont go that far as comparing the RL to an accord. i am just asking the ppl who has owned both cars if there is such a big difference between the 2. and based on their experience after driven both that if they would have pocket the money and keep the TL. i never owned the TL so i cant really say if i would like it and even test driving for such a short time is not going to tell me everything. for example, RL's seats are so compfy that i dont feel any pain at all after 2 hours drive but for a recent accord, i cant say the same.
Previous to the '05 RL I now have, I owned both an '03 and '04 TL.
  • I love my RL
  • I loved both of my TL's
  • The TL and RL are quite different. Both are nice in different ways
  • The RL is more luxurious
  • The TL is luxurious as well but quite a bit more sporty
  • If finances dictated buying another TL in the future, I'd do so happily.
  • If finances allow me to, I'd get another RL.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great thread It comes down to the luxury vs. sporty side. If you want the luxury things like keyless entry, keyless start, better leather, etc. get the RL again. If you want the car that is more fun to drive, get the TL. But if you really want the RL, as others have said, look at cars.com autotrader.com and ebay.com for used RLs. There are plenty for sale - and you can probably get one for 36-37 with low miles if you look hard enough
Old 01-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Moto Enthusiast

Sport or Luxury? FWD or AWD? For me it came to the 2nd choice because I had planned on hitting Tahoe a lot for this ski season. Yes, I could have done it with any number of cheaper 4x4 or AWD cars, but I had my heart set on getting a luxury car. I would have gone with the TL, but I didn't want to get into the hassle of putting chains on whenever chain control was enforced. Plus, as someone else said, everyone and his mother drives a TL nowadays. So, IMO, if you don't deal with adverse driving conditions, go with the TL, invest the $13k, and live happily ever after.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:01 PM
DragVA/DCSpeed

Do it get the RL! I am sure if you tell the dealer your sob story they will sell it to you. Espicially an 05! You can usually find them on the showroom too.