RL Spoiler & Rust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL Spoiler & Rust?

Well, I pulled the trigger on a new 2006 RL. ($41K, fixed price, no haggling, painless except for writing the check)

I had about decided to do the spoiler, but started wondering about rust exposure, since I assume they drill holes and don't glue it on. ;-)

Anyone done this or have any experience with the install? Any of you guys up north or on the coast that have experienced this....assuming you can see under there at all?

Splash guards I can do myself, but a bit ambivalent installing the steering wheel and spoiler myself..but @ $90/hr x 3-4 hrs it still hurts.

Thanks...
Old 08-15-2006, 11:02 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as they use touch up paint to cover the exposed metal from the drill bit, you'll be fine. I believe it also states this on the installation instructions provided by Honda.

When we purchased the car it came with the mud guards already installed, but I had installed the rear spoiler and steering wheel myself.
Old 08-15-2006, 01:27 PM
Intermediate

I talked to the install tech. He said the same thing. They use touch-up paint over the bare edges, then a tight grommet is used, so it seems pretty secure/protected. I did notice some flex or space in the middle of the span on a demo car. I assume there are just two bolts at each end?
Old 08-15-2006, 03:35 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is it possible to install the spoiler without drilling 2 holes on the trunk? Would it stay simply by using double sided 3M tape like what the TL spoilers use?

thanks.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:39 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

I would imagine that it would be possible to install it without drilling, but then you'd probably have to grind off the screws on the spoiler.

I too was wondering this as I was installing it. I'm very certain that we'll be seeing knock off inexpensive aftermarket lip spoilers for the RL's soon.
Old 08-15-2006, 06:34 PM
The Doctor

such as this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Nissa...17654532QQrdZ1 ?

but Nissan RL?

Originally Posted by bkw
I too was wondering this as I was installing it. I'm very certain that we'll be seeing knock off inexpensive aftermarket lip spoilers for the RL's soon.
Old 08-16-2006, 01:26 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I had the spoiler put on my '01 TL and never had rust problems. I wouldn't worry about it one bit. I would be more worried about using double-sided tape or some other non-permanent installation.

I'm considering getting the spoiler for my RL as well.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:47 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

I'd stay away from that one in the ebay auction. Besides calling it a Nissan RL, the colors arent correct and it states that it has an integrated 3rd brake light.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Intermediate

Re: Rust

I don't think that rust will be a problem as the deck lid is made of aluminum (as is the hood and front fenders). i would be very careful drilling so as not to scratch the paint.
Old 10-24-2006, 03:43 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

How much to install?

I just bought the deck lid spoiler from the dealer. Before I attempt to do the installation myself, can anyone tell me how much they got theirs installed (labor only)?

I am in the MD/VA/DC area. Maybe someone in this area has some connections at their local dealerships. Please let me know, thanks!
Old 10-24-2006, 06:02 PM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Mine was purchased & installed for $292.83. Foud out afterwards that the service writers price sheet was wrong - should have been $470 with installation. Anyway, my ticket said $45 for installation - so 1/2 hour labor.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Retired and Loving It

My 05 RL had the spoiler installed when I purchased it. Dealer had added $600 to the price of the car for the spoiler. I ended up getting it thrown in with other accessories in final purchase price. I think the spoiler really adds to the look of the RL. Makes the rear look less round.

No rust, trunk lid is aluminum.
Old 10-24-2006, 09:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I bought a spoiler for my 05 TL on Ebay, it was held on by M3 Tape, no holes and I never had a single problem
Old 10-25-2006, 12:41 PM
VIP

Forget paying to have it installed and forget about drilling holes. I bought my spoiler and installed it myself. There are no screws or bolts attached to the spoiler that you would have to grind off. The kit included some bolt, but they screwed into the spoiler.

The way I mounted mine was with 3M double sided tape. The kind with the red backing you can get at Home Depot. This stuff is amazing, I use it for everything. I liberally taped up the botom of the spoiler and after cleaning the trunk lid with alcohol and test fitting the spoiler I removed the backing from the tape gently placed it onto the trunk. But be careful, I accidentaly touched the spoiler to the trunk lid before I was happy with the location and I just about never got it back off, and I just barely touched it! When I knew I had it aligned right I pressed the spoiler onto the lid and made sure all the tape was seated. There is no way in hell that spoiler will ever come off or be stolen without it breaking first.

If you wanted to remove it for some reason, you could use fishing line and run it between the spoiler and trunk lid to cut it off. But trust me, it is not worth cutting holes in your trunk lid when using the 3M tape is so much easier.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:07 PM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Originally Posted by skiunow
Forget paying to have it installed and forget about drilling holes. I bought my spoiler and installed it myself. There are no screws or bolts attached to the spoiler that you would have to grind off. The kit included some bolt, but they screwed into the spoiler.

The way I mounted mine was with 3M double sided tape. The kind with the red backing you can get at Home Depot. This stuff is amazing, I use it for everything. I liberally taped up the botom of the spoiler and after cleaning the trunk lid with alcohol and test fitting the spoiler I removed the backing from the tape gently placed it onto the trunk. But be careful, I accidentaly touched the spoiler to the trunk lid before I was happy with the location and I just about never got it back off, and I just barely touched it! When I knew I had it aligned right I pressed the spoiler onto the lid and made sure all the tape was seated. There is no way in hell that spoiler will ever come off or be stolen without it breaking first.

If you wanted to remove it for some reason, you could use fishing line and run it between the spoiler and trunk lid to cut it off. But trust me, it is not worth cutting holes in your trunk lid when using the 3M tape is so much easier.
Skiunow -

I'm assuming you bought the OEM deck lid spoiler for the RL, right?

Thanks!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:08 PM
VIP

Of course.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:24 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by rpmjr
Well, I pulled the trigger on a new 2006 RL. ($41K, fixed price, no haggling, painless except for writing the check)

I had about decided to do the spoiler, but started wondering about rust exposure, since I assume they drill holes and don't glue it on. ;-)

Anyone done this or have any experience with the install? Any of you guys up north or on the coast that have experienced this....assuming you can see under there at all?

Splash guards I can do myself, but a bit ambivalent installing the steering wheel and spoiler myself..but @ $90/hr x 3-4 hrs it still hurts.

Thanks...
Congrats!! We just got ours there about 2-3 weeks ago for 41k. Last Celetrial Silver they had. The other colors were Black and Grey. Do not buy the spoiler from Gunn. They want $800 installed. You can get the spoiler from hondaacuraworld.com for $300~. I have done it on my TL, but not the RL yet.
Old 10-26-2006, 12:22 AM
Retired and Loving It

Did you take any pics? I'm sure some new RL owners would like to see how you did it.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Advanced

skiunow,
I like the idea...however, I'm just wondering how will the tapes hold up after a couple of years or so. I'd think the constant expansion/contraction cycles due to hot/cold changes in weather not to mention water and dust might eventually deteriorate the tape over time. Just a thought.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:15 AM
VIP

Ernie - Sorry, I did not take any pictures of it.

jkuniverse - I am not worried about it at all. I used this same tape to mount my fog lights and the front sensors to my Passport ZR3 laser shifter. In 3 years I didn't have a single issue and both the lights and the sensors were mounted inverted so gravity was pulling down as well as the rest of the elements. Being that they were mounted on the front of my car and took the blunt of everything, including car washes, makes me a believer. Nothing else was holding either the lights or the sensors on, no screws or anything, just the tape. And, after all that time being held on by just this tape, when I went to remove the them before I traded my CL in for this RL I expected deterioration in the tape exactly as you describe but I could not believe it, I about never got the lights or sensors off! I live in Idaho, so 8 months out of the year are freezing with a lot of snow and the other 4 months of the year we see 100 degree days, so the tape was deffinately put through a torture test. A long time ago I sold high-end home and car audio and we used this tape for everything. I chose to go this route because I did not want to drill holes in my trunk lid.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jkuniverse
skiunow,
I like the idea...however, I'm just wondering how will the tapes hold up after a couple of years or so. I'd think the constant expansion/contraction cycles due to hot/cold changes in weather not to mention water and dust might eventually deteriorate the tape over time. Just a thought.
skiunow, I'm convinced. I will definitely consider the option when I get the spoiler. btw nice choice of color. I've read somewhere that the white cars have a few more horsepower...
Old 10-26-2006, 11:40 AM
VIP

Sexy always feels faster!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I agree about the 3M tape, I've used it on a few products myself, including a rear Z emblem on my Z. No issues at all. I will also probably try the double sided tape on the lip when I purchase one.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

This tape is what holds on body moldings. Here is a site with good prices. http://www.hondapartsunlimited.com/
Old 12-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Advanced

This thread convinced me of using the 3M tape to secure the deck lid. I didn't want to drill into the trunk in case I wanted to remove the deck lid. Thanks for the great posts guys. The install went without a hitch but after I was done, I regreted not taking any pictures. The deck lid was purchased off eBay from acuraofescondido in CA... Part arrived in 4 days to NY.

The installation was so easy. First I parked the car in the garage to do this in a warmer environment. Then got a pail of warm water and a little bit of dish washing detergent and washed the trunk and bottom of the deck lid. Using 1 inch wide "Super Heavy Duty" 3M double sided tape (red backing), I applied almost an entire roll to the underside of the deck lid. I had to cut the width down to 1/2 inch in order to apply it so the tape didn't follow the bend of the spoiler. Before applying, make sure that the area is still clean and dust-free. Prior to peeling the other side off, I aligned the deck lid to the trunk. Then peel off tape and slowly press the spoiler on keeping the cutout centered around the Acura logo. The end result looks great! Can't tell that it's just taped on.

The tape is incredibly strong. Let's see how it stands up to a NY winter...
Old 12-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
stop being a tease... post pics!

Originally Posted by Fredo0709
This thread convinced me of using the 3M tape to secure the deck lid. I didn't want to drill into the trunk in case I wanted to remove the deck lid. Thanks for the great posts guys. The install went without a hitch but after I was done, I regreted not taking any pictures. The deck lid was purchased off eBay from acuraofescondido in CA... Part arrived in 4 days to NY.

The installation was so easy. First I parked the car in the garage to do this in a warmer environment. Then got a pail of warm water and a little bit of dish washing detergent and washed the trunk and bottom of the deck lid. Using 1 inch wide "Super Heavy Duty" 3M double sided tape (red backing), I applied almost an entire roll to the underside of the deck lid. I had to cut the width down to 1/2 inch in order to apply it so the tape didn't follow the bend of the spoiler. Before applying, make sure that the area is still clean and dust-free. Prior to peeling the other side off, I aligned the deck lid to the trunk. Then peel off tape and slowly press the spoiler on keeping the cutout centered around the Acura logo. The end result looks great! Can't tell that it's just taped on.

The tape is incredibly strong. Let's see how it stands up to a NY winter...
Old 12-20-2006, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

When you use the 3M tape, do you notice a gap between the spoiler and the trunk lid?

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:20 PM
Advanced

Nope... the gap isn't there because the bottom part of the spoiler is recessed in just slightly. The thickness of the double sided tape is just enough so that the spoiler looks like it's sitting flush to the top and the rear of the trunk lid.
Old 12-20-2006, 01:33 PM
Instructor

I ordered one yesterday from Hondapartsunlimited for the wifes new RL.Their prices beat everyone. I will post some picture getting the cars windows and 3m bra tomorrow. I should get the spoiler this week. I will take pictures of it and post. I plan on using only tape. I have used it before and it works very well. The side molding on all of your new cars are put on this way.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:17 PM
Instructor

Pictures Of Spoiler out of box

Here is what you get. There are no bolts to cut off like was said earlier.[IMG]IMG_1513.JPG[/IMG] [IMG]IMG_1514.JPG[/IMG]
Old 12-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Instructor

Here Is Waht You Get In Kit

These pictures show everything in the kit. No bolts to cut.[IMG]http:hostmypiconline.com/images/IMG_1513.JPG[/IMG]
Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Pictures Of Spoiler Kit

My spoiler just arrived this night. Just as expected requires 4 holes drilled(NOT) I will be using 3m tape. came with all the parts. If you go to my signiture and then click on 2006 album you can see what is in kit. I will be installing Saturday. I will post pictures here also along with photos of car with window tint and 3m bra.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:07 PM
Instructor

http://community.webshots.com/user/bubbletop62
Old 12-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Instructor

http://community.webshots.com/user/bubbletop62
Old 12-21-2006, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Cool Rl Spoiler Kit

I just received my spoiler tonight. I have posted pictures of what you get in the kit. It bolts on with (4) holes drilled NOT. I will be using 3m tape only. I plan on installing Saturday and will post pictures at my signiture site with pictures of car window tint, and 3m Bra. http://community.webshots.com/user/bubbletop62
Old 12-22-2006, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Smile Pictures Of Spoiler

At this site have posted many pictures of car with and without spoiler, window tint, and 3m bra http://community.webshots.com/user/bubbletop62
Old 12-23-2006, 11:25 AM
Instructor

Attachment

NO holes drilled just used tape. I heated thecar area and the tape with a hair dryer. Once I laid it down it was there. I applied pressure and I do not see anyway that it will come off. It is on like a rock.
Old 12-23-2006, 08:01 PM
Asian07RL

backfire,

Did you install the struts that came with the kit?
I am affaid over the time, the OEM struts might get weak because of the weight of the deck lid and the trunk might come down by its own when open.

Thanks,
Old 12-23-2006, 08:31 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Looks great, but there IS a gap at the front edge of the spoiler on the ends (see pic #1521). I assume (?) that's because of the thickness of the two-sided tape.

Whether that bothers someone or not is up to them, but it sure looks like you'd snag it when drying or polishing your car. For me, that's not enough to be a deal-killer, but I might opt to go ahead and drill it if it were mine.

As I said though, it looks good, and the spoiler gives the trunk just enough definition to make it look "finished".
Old 12-24-2006, 01:47 AM
Advanced

Hi everyone,

I just went to take a look at my install and it didn't have the gap that Mike_TX was talking about. I think it might have been that I cut down the size of the double sided tape from 1" down to 1/2" in order to follow the bend of the spoiler between the trunk's upper surface and the trunk's rear surface.

That gap might have been the tape's width covering the bend on the underside of the spoiler.

I'll post pictures of my install tomorrow during the day.

Quick Reply: RL Spoiler & Rust?