RL Salesmen arrogance......

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 06:32 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL Salesmen arrogance......

Frustrated somewhat over the high prices & wacky lease offerings on leftover 05 RL's, I walked out of 2 dealers only getting purchase prices of 45.3 & 45.7k

Both dealers called afterwards to whoo me back in telling me what a great deal I was getting. Not that they want to lower the price mind you......

I told each I could sit out for an 06 RL & pay a few grand more for a new model.

Both saleman thought that was amusing, insisting I would be paying MSRP for the new 06 upon launch.

I thought..maybe they could be correct. Initial 06's might command MSRP if the demand is strong.

After shopping a few Infiniti dealers for an M35x, I now feel they will be somewhat disappointed in their 06 MSRP asperations.

Even with strong "M" sales, dealers in my region are discounting 3k on them.

This is the competion the RL sales people are going to have to deal with in another month.

I think when they see the light, good 06 RL deals will be had right at the beginning of the model year! (At least 3k off MSRP to stay in line with the "M's"

Also, barring the added cost of the New Tech pack offering, I can't see how the 06 MSRP will be much different from the 05's, (Except for inflation & Yen/dollar adjustments).

Steve C.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
*sigh* dissapointing to see you are having problems with the dealers. My dealer without any hassle offered me 44,5 for the car back in July. Have you considered ordering the car from other places in the country and either flying there and driving home or having it shipped to you? I remember when I was looking into it a dealer in cali offered me 43k and 500 for shipping.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Racer

You do realize that Edmunds states a good price is $47K, and Autobytel.com states a good price is $46K (in my zip code). Given that, $45K doesn't sound outlandish.

The fact that these dealers let you walk, contacted you and then didn't drop their price isn't good for you, this typically means they have reached their limit, or the limit that the dealership will accept.

I suspect what is happening is that the dealers know that they have people interested in getting hold of the RL at the end of the 2005 model year, and are trying to hold up their prices accordingly.

Good luck in your search.

Pete
Old 08-28-2005, 08:02 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by Steve C
Frustrated somewhat over the high prices & wacky lease offerings on leftover 05 RL's, I walked out of 2 dealers only getting purchase prices of 45.3 & 45.7k

Unless you are in a major market area where dealers are very densely packed I think $45.3 is a good price. At least that is what I found while shopping limited dealers.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
You have probably already tried this, but if the dealers are stuck on $45, then do the rest of your negotiations on accessories - ie. have them throw in 18's or wood knob and wheel, mats, wheel locks etc etc. There is pretty large mark up on that stuff and maybe it is more palatable for them to stick to their price and throw in some extras. $46k for the RL with the 18's and Pirelli PZeroNero M&S tires is an OUTSTANDING deal.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:21 AM
Instructor

"$46k for the RL with the 18's and Pirelli PZeroNero M&S tires is an OUTSTANDING deal."

Ohhh!
That would be RL Nirvana for sure!

Steve C.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by petemc
You do realize that Edmunds states a good price is $47K, and Autobytel.com states a good price is $46K (in my zip code). Given that, $45K doesn't sound outlandish.
Must be a regional thing??

I was offered $44s back in May. I was on the dealer lot this past Friday and they had 38 RLs on the Front lot w/ one in the Showroom. No way they can charge high prices here in Houston. In my opinion there are not enough differences in the '06 to justify ANY price increase at all. If the base MSRP is kept in the upper $49s as before then there is no way they can get better than $47 at first. If sales don't show steady support then they'll have no choice but to continue discounting.

As pointed out above, the '06 GS and M are being discounted somewhat now because the newness has wore off. Its going to be a price war out there. Good for those of us who ain't bought yet
Old 08-29-2005, 04:40 PM
Advanced

I paid $48K for my RL this past January. I felt I got a bargain at that time and now, almost eight months later, I KNOW I GOT A BARGAIN! My RL is worth every penney I paid for it.

I guess its in the eye of the beholder.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:18 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good for those of us who ain't bought yet
Actually, better for those who already have one. We get to enjoy it right now.

There is something to be said about instant gratification.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:31 PM
office monkey

Yeah I got mine in December at list price. I dont really care that I could prolly go out now and save a few grand on one...not worth it to me for the 8.5 months I have had with the car.

Hopefully all thsoe who are in the market for the RL can get good reasonable deals meaning a low enough price yet the dealership is still making something because they need to make something. I'd think if it costs the dealerships 43.5 grand per RL then a 44.5 grand price is fair.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:06 PM
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts
Smile

I picked up my '05 RL this past Saturday. After reading about the lack of major changes and/or upgrades for '06 (I wasn't interested in the Technology Package) I knew this was the time to jump on an '05. I'm thrilled with my $44,384 purchase price. I keep going out to the garage just to look at it in the evening. Besides, I've always thought end of the model year is a great time to buy a car, as long as you know of no major changes coming for the new model year. I have a car that will be one model year old in just a few weeks, and I'll only have a few hundred miles on it. That mileage will make a big difference in a few years when it's time to sell.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:15 PM
3rd Gear

Gee..I feel bad that the dealer "Only" took off $4300 off the price. Man they must be crazy to think that they should make $2000 profit on you. I mean $200-$300 would have been enough. I mean... figure $300X 80 cars for the month = $24000. That should be enough to cover all salaries and expenses. I mean what could it cost to run a dealership these days? Electric bill only $5000 last month...ouch. FYI....dealers haven't ordered RLs in months..so you won't be seeing any until November December...06s haven't been ordered yet either...so what they have now is all they're gittin for a looong time.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:31 PM
Suzuka Master

I wonder how much resale is going to hurt from these deep discounts. -sigh-
Old 08-30-2005, 01:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
I wonder how much resale is going to hurt from these deep discounts. -sigh-
Vik:

Didn't you lease your RL?
Old 08-30-2005, 07:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by gbriank
Vik:

Didn't you lease your RL?
I bought out the lease a couple weeks ago. I don't want to make payments on cars forever, so I figured I can pay it off in about a year and hang on to it for a few years (hopefully).
Old 08-30-2005, 09:28 AM
office monkey

Originally Posted by eclipsevdr
Gee..I feel bad that the dealer "Only" took off $4300 off the price. Man they must be crazy to think that they should make $2000 profit on you. I mean $200-$300 would have been enough. I mean... figure $300X 80 cars for the month = $24000. That should be enough to cover all salaries and expenses. I mean what could it cost to run a dealership these days? Electric bill only $5000 last month...ouch. FYI....dealers haven't ordered RLs in months..so you won't be seeing any until November December...06s haven't been ordered yet either...so what they have now is all they're gittin for a looong time.
What is your line of work? I hope that if you are in a business that sells a product/service and that you dont mind people if they want you to only make a tiny profit for every product made/sold. You dont need to make any more than say 45 grand a year so if you make more I think you should take a pay decrease. Afterall, 45 grand salary can get one through life pretty easily. You need to take a pay decrease so the customers of your job can possibly get cheaper products/services. Seems only fair.

Always great when people in other industries expect people to not make any real cash in say the car industry or other type industries yet if the roles are reversed they demand they make top dollar because their job is worth it.

BTW you forgot to factor in tax that the dealership has to pay to the govt. That's a lot. 24 grand in income wont cover a dealership for a year unless only the owner and family work there and dont need to get paid to survive. That's PEANUTS to be truthful.

I see no probs with dealerships making 2 grand on a car listed at over 40 grand. It's less than 5% of the list price. That is LOW compared to 99% of the industries out there like electronics which have 30-50% markup. Then again, I actually know what it costs to run a business since I work in one.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:14 AM
Instructor

RobL wrote:
"What is your line of work? I hope that if you are in a business that sells a product/service and that you dont mind people if they want you to only make a tiny profit for every product made/sold."

Actually Rob,
Me think's eclipseVdr was being sarcastic when he posted $200 to $300 profit is good per vehicle. Actually, if you read his post thoroughly, you will see this.

His post does bring gross profit into into perspective, (bills must be paid!) but he fails to note that dealer holdback (1.5k) is profit to the dealer also. Rightfully so, we respect that, and do not dig into that arena.

It's a tough business indeed!
Steve C.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:48 AM
office monkey

yep, after reading it again I can see the sarcasm. Man I got like 3 hours of sleep last night and am so out of it this morning...I am blaming my lack of sleep on the fact I couldnt pick up the obvious sarcasm which I do 99% of the time.

I feel like a dumbass right now. Ah well.

Sorry eclipsevdr for being a tool in reply to your obvious sarcastic post which really is so similar to how I make points/posts that I still cant believe I didnt pick up on it, sleep deprived or not.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:13 PM
Racer

There seems to be some misconception about how car sales (especially regarding the Invoice) work. Folks the dealer has to pay the Invoice price to Acura (this number is readily available on Edmunds). However there is a dealer holdback built into that Invoice. The desaler gets the holdback refunded from Acura after the sale (discovering the holdback is not as straightforward as the Invoice, but the info is out there - its often a few percent). Thus IF the dealer sells for $300 over Invoice THEN the profit is $300 + the holdback - operating expenses.

In addition there are often other manufacturer incentives offered to the dealer based on sales performance and other factors. Thus the dealer can (and does) make money on any car sold UNDER Invoice.

While I agree that tyhe dealer has a right to make money, the buyer has the right to the "best" possible" price. When a dealer has 39 cars stacked on the lot 2 months prior to the next model years arrival, then I would refuse to buy for anything over Invoice.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:32 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the info on the dealer pricing. I am looking to buy a RL this weekend. So far, one dealer offered $4K off MSRP and mentioned, this is a great deal. Another dealer I emailed for a final price, mentioning that I got some better offers. The GM called me and said he will personally deal with me when I goto the dealer. I'll update the board if I pull the trigger this weekend. Anybody else close to getting an RL? I'm in NJ and working the emails with 3-4 Acura dealers right now.
Old 08-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by static808
Thanks for the info on the dealer pricing. I am looking to buy a RL this weekend. So far, one dealer offered $4K off MSRP and mentioned, this is a great deal. Another dealer I emailed for a final price, mentioning that I got some better offers. The GM called me and said he will personally deal with me when I goto the dealer. I'll update the board if I pull the trigger this weekend. Anybody else close to getting an RL? I'm in NJ and working the emails with 3-4 Acura dealers right now.
Static,
I asked about your friend & Infiniti because I gave up on trying to get a leftover RL at reasonable cost here in the NY/NJ region.

I priced M35x's at 2 dealers, (one in North Jersey, the other in CT).
I was surprised they worked with me discounting off MSRP without any serious haggling.

We were ready to pull the trigger on an RL, and now after a few road tests in the M35x & the competitive pricing, I am pulling the trigger on an M35x.

These are both such great cars....sigh.....!
Steve C.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:20 PM
Racer

I am pulling the trigger on an M35x.
Good luck; and FYI try www.infinitimclub.com (that site is struggling and needs all the help it can get - has potential however).
Old 08-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Congrats on the new car, I am sure it is excellent.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Just got a notice from my local dealer.....RL's are being sold $700 under invoice and 2.9% financing for 60 mos.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:46 PM
Instructor

Just got a notice from my local dealer.....RL's are being sold $700 under invoice and 2.9% financing for 60 mos.
Whooooooo! Stop the presses.........!!!
Is that 2.9% AHFC sponsored?
That $700 below invoice, is that a local dealer thing or is that Acura sponsored also???
Is it possible the above can be nationwide???
Any more details?

Oh My.....
Tomorrow I put down my deposit on an incoming M35x....this changes everything if above is true!
Thanks gbriank.........

P.S. static808: $800.00 above invoice on an M35x rocks... (unless the above is true!)
my M35x deal is 1775 above invoice.....
Old 08-31-2005, 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Whooooooo! Stop the presses.........!!!
Is that 2.9% AHFC sponsored?
That $700 below invoice, is that a local dealer thing or is that Acura sponsored also???
Is it possible the above can be nationwide???
Any more details?

Oh My.....
Tomorrow I put down my deposit on an incoming M35x....this changes everything if above is true!
Thanks gbriank.........

P.S. static808: $800.00 above invoice on an M35x rocks... (unless the above is true!)
my M35x deal is 1775 above invoice.....
It's the local dealer doing this. Drop me a message with your e-mail address and i'll forward the message on to you. Not sure if it's worth coming down here for...
Old 08-31-2005, 10:53 PM
Instructor

It's the local dealer doing this. Drop me a message with your e-mail address and i'll forward the message on to you. Not sure if it's worth coming down here for...
Thanks gbrriank.....
good looking out....the 2.9 seems to be national, but as you said, that 43k is from your dealer! Wont help me, I'm in NY/NJ

I'm putting deposit on an M35x tomorrow due in sept. 16th.

I'd be in an RL today if the one I purchased back in May was not damaged on delivery! This month has been grueling toggling between both cars.... road tested both several times! Wish I could have both! Hehe...
Old 09-02-2005, 10:20 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Perspective....

I bought my 05 in July...paid $42500+tax/lic...didn't have to buy any of the extra unwanted crap, either.
Old 09-05-2005, 12:12 PM
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Should've told you...

I should've told you that I bought my RL at Thomas Acura in Covina, CA. Maya was the salesperson. Google them, they have a website. Good luck...
Old 09-09-2005, 07:13 AM
Cruisin'

Just bought RL in NJ- Great PRice

Originally Posted by static808
If it helps, I just bout an RL over the weekend in central NJ, negotiated teh deal to $500 over invoice, got good money for trade in about 15 minutes of hassle free conversation. They have 05 RL's in stock and are willing to dealer trade them if they aren't the right color. Great experience and not that far from North Jersey.

Feel free to email me if you want more details at agroves@comcast.net.

PS- I never tip a sales person but gave mine a $100 tip for delivering the car to me and being so professional and hassle free.