The RL Makes Growing-Up Easier.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2005, 11:13 PM
The Yankees SUCK !!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation The RL Makes Growing-Up Easier.....

As you may have noticed, I am a newbie to your community. My automotive past has consisted of many Mustangs that I have owned and repaired, along with such choice automobiles as Porsche, Ferrari, and BMW race cars. I have driven my fair share of crazy, punishing, but rewarding cars that make the line between road car and race car more gray than ever. I've been very lucky as to my career dispostion. I am currently 23 yrs old and I have had the fortune to work on and drive some of the most sophisticated cars on the planet we roam. From Ferrari 360's to a Porsche GT3 race version, along with many ZO6 vettes and other assorted high-performance autos I've put to the test on the great 2.25 mile road course at Moroso Motorsports Park in Jupiter, FL. I am actually an engineer by trade and degree, but I also have a second job freelance testing for many race teams. While it may sound like I am blowing myself up right now, all of this bragging has a meaning.

The majority of my life has been taken up by the brainwashing thought that only a balls-to-the-wall performance car will satisfy me. Be it a 900HP Turbocharged Corvette or a 750HP Supercharged Mustang Cobra. But with gas prices being what they are and my desire to find a car that I can lay back and enjoy driving without looking like a nerd when I pull up to the bar left me with few options. Having driven many cars that people wish they could have seat time with, I only found one option for a competent 4-door Luxury Sedan, the Acura RL.

Sure it might not have the balls of the M45 or S-Type R, it might not have the status-whore lineage of the BMW or Mercedes, and it might not have the sex appeal of an A6 or a GS430, but no car in this class handles on the same level as the RL. Car and Driver and MotorTrend might suck-off BMW with their "Steering feel" accolades, but no car offers the true grip of a race-bred car like the RL. I am shopping for an "all-around" performer, and no car offers this kind of handling and so many features and technological advancements. I've been visting this site quite often and reading assorted reviews of the car for the last year. I've been on 2 test drives with a salesman that was eager for me to show him how I earned my SCCA License, and thankfully my local Acura dealer happens to be right next to an industrial park with a choice set of sweepers and S-turns, and that is a compliment considering I've driven tons of hot laps at Sebring, Homestead, Moroso, Road Atlanta and Daytona.

All in all, I will be buying a 06 RL A-Spec within 2 or 3 months. This is the car that I have been waiting for a long time to get me out of my "boyracer" stage. Besides, I have a 545hp 1995 Mustang Cobra, so if I need to smoke someone, I dont need to worry about the RL being too slow =)
Old 09-13-2005, 07:58 AM
office monkey

Great post and welcome officially to the forum.

BTW you are one lucky bastard to be able to drive all those sweet exotics
Old 09-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Instructor

I happen to agree with you but for somewhat different reasons and with different previous experiences. I'm coming out of an STI and the RL is a pretty big change for me.
I was always a Honda/Acura guy (CRX, Integra, Prelude) until I drove my buddy's Subaru in a snowstorm. I traded my Prelude for a 2.5RS, upgraded to a WRX and then to an STI when they were available. I got one of the first ones. I love the Subaru drivetrain - especially with a manual tranny.
The STI became a little young for me over the last year or so. Its loud inside, drives rough and has little creature comforts. My plan was to get a Legacy GT with nav.
Lo and behold, Subaru announced the '06 MY Legacy was not available with nav if you wanted a manual tranny. You also could not get Bluetooth or XM. So, that was very disappointing.
I looked at the Audi S4, but the lease prices were just way too high. I also checked out the M35x and tried to check out that new IS350 AWD, but they aren't even at the showrooms yet.
I really wanted a 6-speed sport sedan with AWD, nav, Bluetooth, XM and good brakes. (I got used to the Brembos on the STI)
I went to Acura to check out a TL. I was going to sacrifice the AWD to get everthing else I wanted. When I checked out the RL, I was impressed with it. The August lease incentive from AHM ($2500) made it possible for the lease deal to come within $40/month of a lease deal of the same terms on the TL. Even though the RL isn't a 6-speed manual, I felt as if the AWD was more important and I picked up the car on 8/31. I have just about 250 miles on it now.
The technology in the car is amazing and sometimes a little puzzling. (even for an IT Network Engineer)
It certainly is the most refined car I've ever owned. I've not pushed the motor yet.
I do have some of the probs that I've seen disussed here, but I'm sure they will be worked out.
I'd like to see AHM produce a slightly tougher version of this car. The A-spec is a good start, but I'd really like to see a manual tranny with a little more HP and much more torque. Maybe a forced induction version or a little more displacement.
All in all, the low-key but aggressive styling, perhaps best in class technology and overall refinement, I couldn't have said it better myself that this car makes growing up easier.
It'll still be tough to sell the STI.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:22 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't sell the STi!!

The wife is trying to make me sell the S2000, but for some reason I keep falling asleep or get a sudden case of severe ADD whenever the topic comes up

On a side note, If you do keep the STi, would you be interested in a new RFL for cheap? I picked one up from a neighbor and it's been sitting in our garage for ages thinking that I'd eventually get an STi.
Old 09-13-2005, 04:43 PM
Retired MOD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah awesome car. It just a very well made car. I can't wait to see and drive a 6-speed SH-AWD. I have been in morosso quite a few times, but only one the 1/4 mile trake. Thanks for your inputs and enjoy the car once you get it.
Old 09-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bkw
Don't sell the STi!!

The wife is trying to make me sell the S2000, but for some reason I keep falling asleep or get a sudden case of severe ADD whenever the topic comes up

On a side note, If you do keep the STi, would you be interested in a new RFL for cheap? I picked one up from a neighbor and it's been sitting in our garage for ages thinking that I'd eventually get an STi.

Unfortunately, the STI has to go. We don't need 3 cars between 2 people. Thanks for the offer on the RFL, but I already have one on mine. If you know anyone who is looking for an STI in NY State, let me know.
Old 09-13-2005, 10:55 PM
The Yankees SUCK !!!

Smile

Yes Rob, I am very lucky. I've been fortunate enough to grow-up exposed to endurance racing and old early 90's IMSA racing. My first job was when I was 15 and was working for a Porsche racing team, I didnt do much but sweep up and do crap jobs, but I stuck with it and I left when I was 19 and I was way beyond where I started. Needless to say I ended-up working for a corrupt Ferrari repair shop(how do you think I got to dogout a 360 spyder at age 19)but the shop got shut down six months after I sarted working there, my boss got busted by the IRS for something. Through both of these jobs I was lucky enought to make friends with a few well known endurance drivers such as Justin Bell, Shane Lewis, Andy Pilgrim, and Hans Stuck. This is why I was able to obtain the career I have today.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:05 AM
office monkey

Well one day when you get to drive the next kick ass exotic you should keep driving up here to Ontario and take me for a spin. hehe

How does the 360 drive? I loved the 360 and the 430 looks even more badass
Old 09-14-2005, 08:43 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Man, you guys make me jealous with all these cars. I think some of you RL guys should donate to us TSX'er so we can share the fun...
Old 09-14-2005, 11:20 AM
The Yankees SUCK !!!

The 360 is an amazing car. Its not nearly as fast as my Cobra in a straight-line, but very few other cars compare to it when it comes to being on a road course. It goes where you want it with little to no fuss, kind of like an RL, but as you can imagine, it is alot more nible and predictable. If you ever get the chance do drive it, DO IT, it will change the way you think about steet car handling capabilities. Plus even the most prude girl will spread'em wide at the drop of a hat for you.
Old 09-14-2005, 11:45 AM
office monkey

hahaha.

I want to drive the F430
Old 09-19-2005, 10:20 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Fatalvenom
The 360 is an amazing car. Its not nearly as fast as my Cobra in a straight-line, but very few other cars compare to it when it comes to being on a road course. It goes where you want it with little to no fuss, kind of like an RL, but as you can imagine, it is alot more nible and predictable. If you ever get the chance do drive it, DO IT, it will change the way you think about steet car handling capabilities. Plus even the most prude girl will spread'em wide at the drop of a hat for you.
Scratches chin. Hmmm? Yeah. A hat! I've got a few of those...
Old 09-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You sound like my sons (25 and 23 respectively). Growing up I always took them to the AutoX events, PCA events, SCCA events, Drag Strip, Auctions.. you name it. Now both of them are auto enthusiasts with a love for cars that you cannot believe. Keep up the good work, you appear to be light years ahead of the 23 year old Engineers I have working for me.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:37 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 997 Likes on 531 Posts
A buddy just sold his 360 Modena and he estimates that the car cost him over $100,000 for the two years he owned it (Canadian dollars). This includes insurance, maintenance, depreciation etc. Automotive bliss comes with a hefty pricetag.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:49 PM
The Yankees SUCK !!!

Thats very true hondamore.......have you checked into the price tag for an oil change and a brake job on an Enzo?? Lets just say that most of us would have to call the bank and get friendly with the head loan officer