RL Haters!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Talking RL Haters!

I know I spend way too much time on the web boards (while billing by the hour)....

But it really tickles me to see a few RL haters who mission in life is to infiltrate web communities and spew venom. Its the same pattern, they know everything, their opinion is the only that matters, they have evaluated every minute detail and they know what is best for all.

Is it just me, or does the RL seem to attract more haters that other cars? It seems like haters put a lot of effort to keep an eye on the RL communities as if we might get out of control and RLs might become widely accepted.

The hater latches onto a deficiency in a vehicle like a pit bull onto a raw hide. Every thread converation is an opportunity for the all knowing hater to make his point. No one can appreciate anything unless the hater approves. The hater will burst any and all bubble of enthusiasm or excitement outside of the hater's small, shallow world. The hater would spontaneously combust if someone enjoyed the RL simply for what it is.

No thread can be left alone unless the hater posts the last period. The hater will push buttons until someone loses it, and then the hater claims the higher road for self affirmation of his RL hate.

So what would make a hater happy? There would be only one car in the world. It would be the only car the hater approved. No one would have an opinion. The hater would post and reply to himself.

But maybe I see the world throught and RL winshield. Maybe other car boards suffer from the same small people. Maybe cell phone boards suffer the same dysfunction. Maybe this venue is the only place where the hater is ever given attention.

But when I peruse other RL boards, I see the same haters. They are absolute in thier reign of the web community. The bully, bludgeon and fuss about the RL - a car they do no own, drive nor write the check for. Why? Dunno...but I've all but abandoned them.

Here, while heated debate at times, I truly do not see absolute haters. Some strongly disappointed or fiercely misguided, but ultimately don't we allow people to state their opinions and seek what makes 'em happy?

Dear hater: I love my RL. I do not expect everyone to love, like or know a RL. I realize I am an automotive minorty. Allow me to love my RL. Allow me to state so and why.

I can only presume that the need to predate enthusiast bords and spew venom is a defense mechanism for something more seriously deficient than the RL's trait/metric/style/under-over-whatever. Maybe it is truly tortured admiration? Maybe it is simple jealousy.

As Shakespear pointed out: "Me thinks he doth protest too much".

So hater...I don't think the RL is for you. I don't think you know what car is for you. I doubt any car will make you happy. In fact your happiness is much more a challenge that a car alone can conquer. And if you are done sewing your seeds of toxic wisdom, please find a new hobby, like tripping nuns.

OK...I am better now. Beer anyone?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:47 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ironic... a hater thread about haters!
Old 10-23-2007, 08:33 PM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

save one for me.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6
Ironic... a hater thread about haters!
Things must be slow at the MB dealership.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
O'Doul's for me, please, I'm on duty.

I don't concentrate on haters, I put 50-70 miles a day in my RL and I'm happy with my little piece of sporty luxury.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:23 AM
Honda Fanboy

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
One of the biggest RL haters on the web is 1SICKLEX, someone who probably hasn't even sat in one at a car show.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:21 AM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC Racer
One of the biggest RL haters on the web is 1SICKLEX, someone who probably hasn't even sat in one at a car show.
How about Mr. D.
You know who I am talking about.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
EXCELLENT topic!

I used to frequent clubrsx.com, as until my current 06 RL, I 've had 5 Integras\RSXs(bought the RL because I wanted AWD, and was getting an RDX, but the G/F wanted one, so got the RL instead)

The "haters" were there too, and I think it's unique to Acura websites, though I have no proof of that.

You'd think they'd have something better to do with their time....
Old 10-24-2007, 07:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
So let's enjoy our exclusivity. What if the "haters" win and everybody bought an RL, I would then have to find another great car that not everybody and their grandmother drives.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AsianTL
How about Mr. D.
I agree he enjoys arguing, but then again so do we. All in all, I wouldn't call him an "RL hater". He makes valid arguments eventhough his perception is warped towards Infiniti right now since that's what he owns. So what, we're all seeing things thru warped glasses, aren't we?

Which brings up the interesting thing brought up by TampaRL. I also find it odd how some people spend a lot of time on a board where they generally disagree with the crowd. Not sure why that's enjoyable to them. I think MB's are generally overpriced and unreliable. For that reason, I wouldn't even think of signing up for an MB forum and sharing my thoughts there. I'd just be pissing off those guys and making things unpleasant for myself and others. What's the benefit?

After all, this isn't our business. We're not being paid to be here. It's just a temporary escape during the day. Being on these forums is kind of like a hobby or a sport. It's like we're just a bunch of guys out on a boat fishing. I wouldn't join a Fishing club and then get together with everyone to talk about how the sport sucks and is boring. Would that make sense?

So we all basically agree in the same ideas in this RL forum. So what? Does that make us fanboys? I guess so. But then again, what do people expect? It's different then maybe the "Car Talk" forum, etc. where there is no focus on any one type of car. However, even there, the general theme is "cars". So, it would also be odd if someone got on there who thought enjoying cars is stupid.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:15 AM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slightly OT, but Acura could take an advertising lesson from Lexus. The new GS 460 ads are great. Showing GS's doing doughnuts & powerslides, saying we dont recomend this, but it is possible.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
AsianTL, you should do your research before you make rash judgments about people, because I have never hated on the RL. Actually, I challenge you to find a post where I say the RL is a terrible car or that it sucks.

I'm not an RL hater, I think it's a great car. I would have chosen it over an M35 or M35x for that matter. But it's not selling, and there are reasons for that, and I have given my opinion on that subject. Whether I speak of the reasons or not doesn't change the fact that these reasons exist.

So is discussing reasons why the RL doesn't sell now "things of which we do not speak", otherwise you are called a hater?
Old 10-24-2007, 10:36 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AsianTL
How about Mr. D.
Why, oh why, couldn't we let sleeping dogs lie????
Old 10-24-2007, 10:50 AM
office monkey

Anyone who hates on a piece of metal, plastic, leather has serious issues....
Old 10-24-2007, 11:07 AM
Instructor

brilliant thread.
There will always be haters, there are many psychiatric books written about them also, in the case of car enthusiats, some are trying to justify with "logic" their emotional purchases.
What makes the Legend superior IMHO is the overall execution, sure its not perfect but heck if I want power/torque I would buy a cheaper pos V8 muscle car, but thats not the point.
Sales numbers alone are no true reflection of a car's quality, unfortunately the RL is in a segment were most people are more interested in image, excess, horsepower, etc.. and it doesn't help that Acura is directed by engineering people instead of marketing people; however there is a small -and intelligent- market (like in this forum) who really appreciates a well engineered and valued car, regardless of what the totally biased media tells us. And from the posts in this forum i can tell most Acura owners (compared to other forums) are more down-to earth, educated and open, which clearly reflects in their choice of car.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:17 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by cai06
brilliant thread.
There will always be haters, there are many psychiatric books written about them also, in the case of car enthusiats, some are trying to justify with "logic" their emotional purchases.
What makes the Legend superior IMHO is the overall execution, sure its not perfect but heck if I want power/torque I would buy a cheaper pos V8 muscle car, but thats not the point.
Sales numbers alone are no true reflection of a car's quality, unfortunately the RL is in a segment were most people are more interested in image and horsepower, etc.. and it doesn't help that Acura is directed by engineering people instead of marketing people; however there is a small -and intelligent- market (like in this forum) who really appreciates a well engineered and valued car, regardless of what the totally biased media tells us. And from the posts in this forum i can tell most Acura owners (compared to other forums) are more down-to earth, educated and open, which clearly reflects in their choice of car.
Agree on the last point. Of course the people on this RL forum tend to be biased (I am), but it seems like there's less of it then some other forums. I think that makes it more enjoyable and maybe why some other non RL owners come here to debate.

You want fanboys, go to ClubLexus. I've lurked around there on many occasions when considering a new car. Didn't even bother posting any thoughts or comments. Believe it or not, BimmerForums.com has some good people on there. I did a bunch of posting there when cross shopping the MDX and X5. Got a lot of honest good opinions. But once again, we all have our biases. It's human nature. No one need apologize for that.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:09 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

I've sold 3 C Classes for over sticker, things are great. I'll never be too busy to bust TampaRL's balls a little.

Originally Posted by dwboston
Things must be slow at the MB dealership.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CL6
I've sold 3 C Classes for over sticker, things are great. I'll never be too busy to bust TampaRL's balls a little.
Rich and stupid. CL6's favorite kind of customer.
Old 10-24-2007, 02:52 PM
Instructor

That's ANY salesman's favorite.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:25 PM
Racer

Did they pay over-sticker because the doors can hold a 200lb man?
Old 10-24-2007, 04:27 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by CL6

There is NO car that I'd be willing to pay over sticker. I'd just as soon wait.

I'd even have a problem with sticker, but I can understand if you're in a situation where you are buying and the car you like is hot. I remember that was the case when the 2nd gen TL and the 1st gen MDX came out. I'd stilll wait if I could.

Rich and stupid is right.
Old 10-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
So hater...I don't think the RL is for you. I don't think you know what car is for you. I doubt any car will make you happy. In fact your happiness is much more a challenge that a car alone can conquer. And if you are done sewing your seeds of toxic wisdom, please find a new hobby, like tripping nuns.

Wow -- that wood steering wheel really gave you some additional RL cajones! [Insert your own "woody" joke here.]

I really don't see too many "haters" around here. Some folks express themselves more strongly than others, and that's fine.

A forum like this tends to invite a certain amount of strong words. People may answer quickly using words that probably read more aggressively than if they were spoken. Other can let a thought or point linger/fester and then craft a pointed response.

The participants have to filter who is who, and by now many of us recognize how others express themselves (I can be long-winded). We, the writers, have to understand that a forum tends to amplify our words - even with emoticons.

Rob144
Old 10-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob144
Wow -- that wood steering wheel really gave you some additional RL cajones! [Insert your own "woody" joke here.]

I really don't see too many "haters" around here. Some folks express themselves more strongly than others, and that's fine.
Rob144

cajones??? Is that something I can get at an Italian Resturant?

Actually, my thoughts in initiating this thread was due to some SERIOUS RL haters I see in OTHER forums. I really don't see haters here (just some sleazy car salesmen and a few lacking in general social skills ). I think the haters I have observed (again on a few other forums) may lurk here, but don't have the 'cajones' to post here. I think the AZ RL forum is too intelligent to accomodate whatever makes them so vehiment in their condemnation of the RL.

I just makes me wonder why someone who does not own, drive and pay for an RL (as we do) take such a crusade to prove us wrong?

M'kay?

Oh,,,this round is on me....order up!
Old 10-24-2007, 06:15 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Wow, you must be fun at parties.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CL6
Wow, you must be fun at parties.
Well, one thing is certain. I don't call my clients deadbeats when they want to discuss fees.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:40 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Show me where I called someone a 'deadbeat'?

And 'fees' are what the government gets, btw.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CL6
Show me where I called someone a 'deadbeat'?

And 'fees' are what the government gets, btw.
Sorry, the appropriate epithet was "mooch". Which apparently you define as a customer looking for the best price on their purchase. Here are a few examples:

"Today's thought is that the 'mooch' customer nearly always leaves unhappy while the 'laydown' leaves overjoyed."

and

"The reason I prefer the RL forums to most of the other ones on Acurazine or anywhere else is because this type of declasse mooch behavior is rarely in evidence here."

And customers in my industry pay fees. As in "performance based management fees."
Old 10-24-2007, 08:41 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

In the car business, a 'fee' generally is something the government charges.

A deadbeat doesn't pay, a mooch does, just not much. My time is valuable, and the two statements I made are accurate. If you sold cars, you'd understand and agree. It's okay you don't see where I'm coming from, but being as how you have been so personally negative with me I really couldn't care at all because you're a garbage truck trying to dump your trash on me and my job is to ignore people like you and move on so I don't get crapped out.

After this post, I'll do just that.

Regards.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CL6
In the car business, a 'fee' generally is something the government charges.

A deadbeat doesn't pay, a mooch does, just not much. My time is valuable, and the two statements I made are accurate. If you sold cars, you'd understand and agree. It's okay you don't see where I'm coming from, but being as how you have been so personally negative with me I really couldn't care at all because you're a garbage truck trying to dump your trash on me and my job is to ignore people like you and move on so I don't get crapped out.

After this post, I'll do just that.

Regards.
Likewise.

Enjoy selling your POS MB's. But be sure to keep hanging around here every day to provide your unique wit and wisdom.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:46 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
This forum is definitely the most civilized - and haterfree - one I've participated in, and I've been in a few.

One important thing everyone in internet forums needs to remember is that the written word generally doesn't convey the true attitude of the writer. That may be because the writer isn't skillful at expressing his feelings, because you simply don't get his point, or because you misinterpret his words.

I could say "Kiss my ass", for instance, and you wouldn't necessarily know whether I was grinning or gritting my teeth when I said it ...

The best bet is to not get too upset when someone says something you don't like. It's just a discussion forum.

(Oops - the little exchange above occurred while I was crafting my beautifully-worded post. Maybe some posts DO express the writer's true feelings!)
Old 10-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
This thread is becoming useless fast. Before it degenerates further....