RL Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 09:45 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RL Brake Pads

My Acura NSX tech told me today that brake pad material on 06 is reformulated from the 05 pads.
This may be part of the 05 pad/rotor issues some are having.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:47 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I asked the tech today when I stopped by my dealer. He indicated there was a change, but did not admit to any warping issues. He just said there were complaints about squealing brakes.

I am one of those people who had several vehicles needing rotor replacements constantly on my prior vehicles. My magic mileage was usually 10-15 needing new rotors. Only 7K on my RL thus far, but I have to say I have had no squealing, no noticable fade and virtually no brake dust. I also do not stomp the brakes, or ride them, and I avoid driving flooded roads.

Maybe there is a difference, maybe not...but I can say I am please with my RL's brakes compared to previous vehicles owned. We'll see what I find at 15K.
Old 04-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by TampaRL
I asked the tech today when I stopped by my dealer. He indicated there was a change, but did not admit to any warping issues. .

I have never seen a warped rotor. And that is after doing countless brake jobs on my own and other cars. This includes racing a Corvette for many years. It's a common misconception because it exhibits the same symptoms and can be "cured" by the same rotor turning. But my guess is the real culprit is pad buildup.
See:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
Old 04-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by Rich in NC
I have never seen a warped rotor. And that is after doing countless brake jobs on my own and other cars. This includes racing a Corvette for many years. It's a common misconception because it exhibits the same symptoms and can be "cured" by the same rotor turning. But my guess is the real culprit is pad buildup.
See:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml

I atually have seen warped rotors. SEVERLY warped rotors. In my younger days I had a 1991 Eagle Talon TSi AWD. It would develope a vibration about every 7K miles that nothing else would cure. I had rotors turned, and / or replaced which would cure it for another 7K miles. At 21K when it drove like it had square wheels, my brother in law (mechanic) took the rotors off for inspection. They wobbled when rotated and were warped like an old vinyl LP. He told me many Diamond Star (Mitsu / Chryslers) were prone to this issue. He recommended I try an aftermarket rotor as the OEMs ad proven futile.

I replaced the OEM rotors (3rd time) with aftermarket crossed drilled rotors. I traded the car 8K miles later with no vibration at speed, nor pulsations in braking.

When my RL was new, before I accepted delivery, there was a slight highway vibration and slight pulsation under moderate braking. They swapped the tires, and it was better, but not gone and some pulsation remained when braking. Then they put new rotors on, and all was well (and still so). The tech told me that the rotors tend to build up rust when the car sits (mine was on the lot 6 weeks in Florida summer). The rust causes the pads to lay deposits on the rotors which likley was the vibration and pulsation issue. He said it would have worn off, but I was not willing to accept delivery and wait for it to cure itself. So I do believe pad deposits can also be culprit.

But that is my conclusion from my personal experience.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:12 PM
Race Director

You should have seen my TL before I had them replaced. Anything about 35ish would shack like an earthquake. And I dont mean vibrating I mean the whole car would shake. It caused my car to have a really bad rattle in the dash for awhile and this is a 2G TL which not to my knowledge dont have rattle problems. However the new ones are great and its very smooth.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:35 AM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Do those of you who have experianced warped rotors, torque your lugnuts to the correct amount of torque, I believe its 92 ft lbs of torque. I used to have issues with all the GM's I owned until I started loosening and torquing the lugnuts to the correct settings after reading an article years ago about warping caused by the lugnuts not all being torqued the same.

After I started removing the locking lugnut whenever the car went into the garage and taking control myself, I have never had any issues on the 2 Grand Prix GTPs, 2000 Bonneville SSEI, 2004 TL, 2006 RL, and now 2007 RL.

Just curious if I've just been lucky, or if it really does help reduce the issue.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:05 PM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by ddswv
Do those of you who have experianced warped rotors, torque your lugnuts to the correct amount of torque, I believe its 92 ft lbs of torque. I used to have issues with all the GM's I owned until I started loosening and torquing the lugnuts to the correct settings after reading an article years ago about warping caused by the lugnuts not all being torqued the same.

After I started removing the locking lugnut whenever the car went into the garage and taking control myself, I have never had any issues on the 2 Grand Prix GTPs, 2000 Bonneville SSEI, 2004 TL, 2006 RL, and now 2007 RL.

Just curious if I've just been lucky, or if it really does help reduce the issue.

I think there are still a lot of information that was relevant for the old single plate cheap discs that used to be out there in the early days of rotors but doesn't hold true anymore..

Modern rotors made with any quality of assembly at all are pretty bullet proof. The joining of 2 very strong plates held together with a zillion square inches of cooling vanes make these the toughest component on the whole car. They just don't warp if they came out of the factory with any quality control. I raced for years, did my own and other racer's service on the brakes. (Brakes never made it past more than 2 track nights) and saw all kinds of abuse but have never seen a ventilated rotor that was warped by hard service or incorrect torque. Now the old skinny cheap single plate rotors would warp in a heartbeat if torqued incorrectly.
Old 05-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Banned

I had 60,000 miles and my friends documented my Acura brake pads as having 7 MM lining. Last month, I went to a different Acura dealership for the first time, my miles were 60, and they said I only have 1.8 MM lining on my brakes.