RL admirers: who stared at your car and what they drove

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
RL admirers: who stared at your car and what they drove

I guess I'll start off from todays story:

Holland tunnel, slow traffic. A young guy with WRX STi and full exhaust got half way out of his car (which was still moving) and was inspecting my car through the window while I was rolling maybe 5mph from mid passenger side till the front.

At one point we were dead even and he gave me the go ahead to show em what I've got (he had a very loud exhaust), well, he gave me the thumbs up (I take my wife's word on that) after the demo.

on another fine day, going into the same Holland tunnel (always traffic) a guy in an older Honda Accord parked in the 4th lane (which was not going to the tunnel) and came out and was staring at my car, asked a few questions, went back.

I let em into the 3rd lane figuring he was trying to get in anyway. The guy gets out of the car again, comes to ask a few more questions and goes back. I see him talk to a female passenger and the guy walks out a 3rd time and walks around (we're still standing in traffic to Holland).

Tell me your stories
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Only have one. A guy at work has a 3rd gen TL, asked me about the RL and also asked me how I'm able to afford to own one. He thinks I'm in my early 20s but I'm well into my 30s (look young I suppose)
Old 02-21-2011, 09:47 AM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
When I first bot the car in 2006, a little old lady who was walking by in Fort Lee NJ said, " Why that is a very nice looking car. Is it a Mercedes ? "

Dunno if that is a compliment or a veiled put down.

Anyway ...
Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 178 Likes on 100 Posts
Never in DC or Metro DC suburbs have I had anyone stare at or ask about the RL (I guess I need a set of RonJon rims). The exception is my Acura dealer service tech who really likes my car and tells me it is the cleanest RL they service, even at 137k miles so I take that as a great compliment.

I have had a few clients ask about the RL and offer flattering praise when I have been in Toledo Ohio on business.

I have complimented a few people I pass in parking lots on their cars and most people you can tell genuinely feel great when someone else tells them how great their car looks.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:20 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got lots of respect from my friends when I picked up my CPO 06 RL. It also got a lot of "wow your car is never dirty" and "your car always smells great!" and when I got the Aspecs and powdercoated them Black it was even more . Im happy my mom has the car now she gets compliments even with the stock wheels on it lol I joke and tell her its cause I did the tailight tints sans the turn signal area and I tinted the turn signals on the mirrors lol
Old 02-21-2011, 04:04 PM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CadiGTi
Never in DC or Metro DC suburbs have I had anyone stare at or ask about the RL (I guess I need a set of RonJon rims). The exception is my Acura dealer service tech who really likes my car and tells me it is the cleanest RL they service, even at 137k miles so I take that as a great compliment.

I have had a few clients ask about the RL and offer flattering praise when I have been in Toledo Ohio on business.

I have complimented a few people I pass in parking lots on their cars and most people you can tell genuinely feel great when someone else tells them how great their car looks.
I didn't have the RJ's on when the subie driver was hanging out of his window, too bad I didn't have my camera rolling
Old 02-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NJ06RL
When I first bot the car in 2006, a little old lady who was walking by in Fort Lee NJ said, " Why that is a very nice looking car. Is it a Mercedes ? "

Dunno if that is a compliment or a veiled put down.

Anyway ...
Funny first time I noticed the RL before I bought one...I was driving MY mercedes (SL500) and thought one thing I liked about both cars was the treatment of the "back end" with the chrome tailpipe tips. I don't think it was a put-down...I've only been driving this RL for a few days now and it is at least AS well-built as my Benz.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:04 PM
Cruising in ATL!!

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
First day I bought my RL, took it to a local acura dealer for their point inspection. As soon as I pulled in, lady who was getting her TSX serviced asked me what year it was. Told her I just bought it... gave her more info. she asked if she could sit in and started. I let her and she wouldn't stop talking about how nice it was... and that I got such a great deal! Lady was speaking so loud it got everyone's attention around it. Needless to say, I was pleased with my choice!
Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 AM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
A young guy (around early 20's) in the passenger seat of a pickup truck was checking out my RL about a month ago. The truck was passing my car in a parking and the kid kept turning his head towards the RL's direction. I'd be he's either thinking:

1. Wish I had A car.
2. I'm gonna jack those wheels.

Other than that, the RL doesn't get much action, that I know of, anyway.

On the other hand, my Fiance said the RL isn't "fancy". Not sure what she means by that.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:10 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
I had an old (78 yrs old) guy tell me he loved the lines of my car at Starbucks the other day. I think I should take it as a compliment, although it doesn't do much in countering the "old man's car" stereotype.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The owners of a Mercedes S550 tried to get into my car in the parking lot (we were both parked in end spaces in different rows).

And someone followed me into a parking lot some weeks ago to ask if my car was the new Legend with a V8 (no doubt because I rebadged mine to LEGEND).

Other than that, not many glances that I know of. I think it is a car that will age better than most precisely because it isn't trendy or flashy.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just last night, walking out of a restaurant...a guy and a girl who were walking in front of my friend and I literally stopped in their tracks and said "I like that!", pointing to my car. My RL had a prime parking spot in front of the restaurant. The lights from the restaurant were gleaming down on the car. It was even better when they realized we were the ones getting into it and had heard them.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:26 AM
Randy is the Future

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
I've had a million encounters involving admirers of my car. When I first bought it some couple drove around traffic to come and ask me what kind of car do I have.

Whenever I have my rims on, I usually catch people walking around my car checking it out. Its always assume to walk up to the car at that point, stick your hands on the handle and have the door unlock. People always just look like "OMG, did you see that".

I've had serveral people ask me if this is a Benz.... and when i'm like "uh naw its an Acura", they always look like oh um wow this is nice, like they forgot that Acura is actually a luxury brand also.

I've had my car since i was 20 so when people see me they are always like wow how did you afford a car like that and what do you do for a living? Now that i'm 25, i dont seem to get asked that as much but occasionally when people see the inside they are always in amazement at how luxurious it looks and feels.