Retrofitting cooled seats?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 07:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Retrofitting cooled seats?

The seat cooling was one of my "must-have" features that I was ultimately willing to live without given all the other great features of the '05 RL. So, I posed the question to my dealer, but they were unable to check on the ability to retrofit parts since they don't have access to non-US microfiche. I did notice the seat heaters are simply insertable modules - but I would suspect the cooling "module" is more complex and may need to have access to ductwork from the AC system.

So, has anyone explored this? The US microfiche is, of course, available online at acura.com - but we would need a friend in Canada to compare fiche/part numbers to the Canadian version.

Of course, this may simply not be achievable. But worth a try for those of us in warm climates.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:24 PM
Instructor

I know nothing about it, but darn I miss cooled seats a lot! Highly interested if somebody can figure this out for us.

Konstantin
Old 03-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Cool Canada?

Why would the Canadians have "ventilated seats" and it is not an option in California? This is GM thinking not that of Acura but I, like others, am very dissapointed in it not being available.
Old 03-15-2005, 03:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by db22
Why would the Canadians have "ventilated seats" and it is not an option in California? This is GM thinking not that of Acura but I, like others, am very dissapointed in it not being available.
Acura Canada had to give us something extra. Canadian RL does not have:

Acuralink
OnStar
XM Radio
Traffic Update feature

so they gave us headlight washers, cooled seats and we get to pay the equivalent of $ 57,900 U.S. for the car. Damned expensive seats don't you think ?
Old 03-15-2005, 10:56 PM
office monkey

Originally Posted by snowbound
Acura Canada had to give us something extra. Canadian RL does not have:

Acuralink
OnStar
XM Radio
Traffic Update feature

so they gave us headlight washers, cooled seats and we get to pay the equivalent of $ 57,900 U.S. for the car. Damned expensive seats don't you think ?
hey, if the cdn dollar tanked tomorrow and got back to being where it was with the U.S. buck a year ago you wouldn't think you were paying too much...a year ago the cdn price would be equiv to U.S. price based on exchange.

oh and I am glad we got the seats rather than that other stuff that you have to pay yearly subscriptions for. My cooled seats are free of charge each year and actually serve me a good purpose
Old 03-20-2005, 04:57 AM
Cruisin'

Political decision to have cooled seats in Canada and not USA...

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal. Canadian Parlament told Honda they could only distrubure RL if is cooled seats were included. Main reason Canadians have much hotter asses than Americans. This the expresion Canadians are "hot asses!" Where do you think Hockey originated?
Old 03-20-2005, 10:18 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by pgeorg10
There was an article in the Wall Street Journal. Canadian Parlament told Honda they could only distrubure RL if is cooled seats were included. Main reason Canadians have much hotter asses than Americans. This the expresion Canadians are "hot asses!" Where do you think Hockey originated?

What is this "hockey" you speak of?
Old 03-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Cruisin'

Karl, hockey is a sport, formerly played professionally in the US and Canada. Now extinct.
Old 06-04-2005, 10:26 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by aphotog
The seat cooling was one of my "must-have" features that I was ultimately willing to live without given all the other great features of the '05 RL. So, I posed the question to my dealer, but they were unable to check on the ability to retrofit parts since they don't have access to non-US microfiche. I did notice the seat heaters are simply insertable modules - but I would suspect the cooling "module" is more complex and may need to have access to ductwork from the AC system.

So, has anyone explored this? The US microfiche is, of course, available online at acura.com - but we would need a friend in Canada to compare fiche/part numbers to the Canadian version.

Of course, this may simply not be achievable. But worth a try for those of us in warm climates.
How does one access the US parts microfiche on the Acura website? Is this an order item, like the service manual?