Remote Window Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 03:20 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Window Control

When I purchased the car, the dealer told me that the remote can control the windows. I've since found that only opening is controllable and closing can only be done from the car. This is a severe disappointment. When I told this to the dealer, they told me I was wrong and spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out why it didn't work... It seems that they simply never tried it.

Does anyone know how to close all of the vehicles windows remotely? After reviewing the acura website, it does not appear that the car has this function.
(WHICH STINKS!!!!) I can remotely open my windows... which is marginaly usefull, but when it is raining, remotely closing the windows is much more usefull...

Anyone?!
Old 12-05-2005, 06:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by glassermike
When I purchased the car, the dealer told me that the remote can control the windows. I've since found that only opening is controllable and closing can only be done from the car. This is a severe disappointment. When I told this to the dealer, they told me I was wrong and spent about 30 minutes trying to figure out why it didn't work... It seems that they simply never tried it.

Does anyone know how to close all of the vehicles windows remotely? After reviewing the acura website, it does not appear that the car has this function.
(WHICH STINKS!!!!) I can remotely open my windows... which is marginaly usefull, but when it is raining, remotely closing the windows is much more usefull...

Anyone?!
As far as I know on the 2005, you cannot remotely close the sunroof/windows.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:12 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is correct, you cannot remotely close the windows. It is the same on the TSX and TL. If I am not mistaken this is a legal reason - so you can't be standing away while some kid has their hand in the window and gets stuck while closing it.

Somebody on the TL forum had figured out a way to bypass this and remotely close it. I don't know if it will work with the RL or not.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:44 AM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
If I am not mistaken this is a legal reason - so you can't be standing away while some kid has their hand in the window and gets stuck while closing it.
I dont think that this is the reason.

I got curious yesterday and put my hand in between the window as it closed. The moment the window felt resistance, it immediately opened right back up.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Then I am not sure why, I know this has been discussed in the TL forum and generally people thought it was legal reasons.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM
Cruisin'

Seems like it should be easy enough... If you turn the key to the left, it closes everything... If I can ever figure out my remote start problem, I may have one of the extra keys on it's controller hit the input the turning the key to the left does.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:34 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vp911
Then I am not sure why, I know this has been discussed in the TL forum and generally people thought it was legal reasons.
I would guess it was so that someone doesn't leave their dog or baby (!) in the car and walk away, and then inadvertently roll up the windows on a summer day.... since you CAN put the windows up from the driver's door lock with the key, and can't do it remotely, I'd guess the reason is something like that.

Also, does the sunroof have the same feature where it retracts when it feels resistance? Some kid could be standing on the console looking out of the sunroof.....
Old 12-05-2005, 11:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Yes the sunroof does have that also.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:23 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by bkw
I dont think that this is the reason.

I got curious yesterday and put my hand in between the window as it closed. The moment the window felt resistance, it immediately opened right back up.
For safety reasons (as in if someone is trying to snatch you out through the window) you can override this by holding up all the way on the window switch.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:18 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
on my Audi A4 and S4 I had to reprogram the ECU to allow for window closure. No idea why VW/Audi put radio and "personalization" functions there, but it was the only way to do it. Wonder if there is a similar hack for Acura/Honda...
Old 12-07-2005, 08:37 AM
Cruisin'

What tool did you use to gain access to the ECU's programming on your Audi, or was it done through the cars controls?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:00 PM
Racer

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...03#post4836703

We've never done an install on an RL, but this module should allow you to put the windows up with the OEM remote. We've had positive results with the TSX and the TL.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Instructor

I had a 1998 BMW 528I and had the same thing: you can open windows and sunroof remotely but need to use the key to close them.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:46 PM
Racer

We have put a few window modules on BMWs, but have found the BMW market to not be the best market when spicing wires is concerned. They all seem over worried about warranties!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:06 PM
Instructor

FWIW, on the new Lexus ES350, I read that the remote can open/close driver's side or all windows.

On a side note, it would be nice if Acura had a similar on-line presentation as this from Lexus (for the ES350): <http://www.lexus-eshowroom.com/eshowmac/eshowroomnew/esdemo.asp>
Old 05-06-2006, 11:37 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by glassermike
What tool did you use to gain access to the ECU's programming on your Audi, or was it done through the cars controls?
sorry for the huge delay in responding to my first post.

My dealer used the VAG 1551 (I believe) tool which is used for diagnostics/analysis (via OBD-II port in the car). Others have the notebook computer-based software which interfaces with the OBD-II port.

It's based on an aggregate number, so you pick and choose your options and then have the dealer update the overall value. Sounds a bit odd but it all works in the end.

Driver-selectable functions (minimal on TL, moreso on RL, and beyond comprehension on the BMW M5 or Mercedes-Benz S550) have limited the need for low-level programming, but things like window down and up are still restricted due to liability (catching ones fingers in the window).