Recommend the RL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:17 PM
Safety Car

Received 486 Likes on 249 Posts
Recommend the RL?

Hi guys,

I am getting close to paying off my student loans around the end of this year. I am currently driving a 1998 3.2TL (so I keep things forever). It's been a nice car, but it is just getting high in the miles. I've had to replace quite a few thing recently.

I can't pass up the value of a used RL. I am thinking of getting a CPO 2005 or 2006.

I have not driven one yet. I figure I will test drive one when I get closer to buying.

I watched the stickied video. I'd also like to get some owner's thoughts. How have the cars held up over the years? In addition to the RL, the 3rd gen TL-S is on my shortlist along with Cadillac CTS (and any suggestions you guys might have)

Things that are important to me are reliability, handling, and decent power. I'm not looking to burn any streets in a big sedan. But it shouldn't be sluggish.

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2009, 08:13 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought an '06 recently and am very happy with it... the car lives up to the glowing technical and user reviews. I enjoy the car the more I drive it. I see the TL as being more sporty and RL as more luxurious so it just depends on what you want most, but give both a test drive and see what you think.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,612 Likes on 2,193 Posts
You wouldn't go wrong with any of the three. The RL is the best of the three in terms of fit and finish, lack of rattles, etc. It's also the best bang for the buck. The TL-S is the sprightliest and, as a previous 3G TL owner, I must say that the TL handles quite well for a FWD car. If you go with a Caddy CTS, buy the 2G--it's heads above the 1G CTS...and make sure you buy the DI engine so you get a little extra power. If you like spirited driving, you might order an FE2 or FE3 suspension (FE3 being the most sport-oriented).

Again, the RL is the best bang for the buck of the three.
HTH!
Old 02-22-2009, 09:55 PM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
buy the RL

I have owned my 2006 RL CMBS for one year. I have put 40k mikes on it (came with only 4700 miles on it).
Had a rattle in the sunshade repaired. That was the only issue.
I think these things are pretty much bullet proof and relatively cheap to maintain.

I had considered a new CTS, but I spent 10 years in Detroit as an OEM supplier to GM and know all too well (and experienced it with my 3 new GM Co Cars) how their 4 main criteria for component selection works and ultimately affects long-term customer satisfaction (Price, Price, Price, and Price!).

The new CTS is an excellent driver, but I do not trust long term reliability and do not like wasting time at dealer service depts. I know they had some water pump issues on the original CTs's and Caddies are famous for oil leaks too.

The 3rd gen TL is an excellent choice. I came very close to buying a new 2008 TL-S but could not get colors and 6 speed. Torque Steer was a major issue with the Type S. I had the 2003 Acura Cl-S 6 speed before my RL and Torque steer in the CL was much better controlled in that chassis compared to Gen 3 TL.

The RL is a bargain, not the most exciting car, but an extremely competent car overall. The Nav and safety features (especially the CMBS) are world class.

Good luck!

Ed
Old 02-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Safety Car

Thanks for the responses guys. I am learning new stuff about it just from reading this (had to look up CMBS). I like the RL's design. It looks pretty classy to me.

The only reason I am hesitant on the TL-S is because it looks too edgy and boy-racer. Plus I have not driven it, but I have qualms about 300 HP in a FWD.

My parents owned domestic cars when I was younger, and they were falling apart. I had heard so much about them going up in quality. But I guess they still have some ways yet.

Is there any extra tire wear or low mileage associated with the SH-AWD?
Old 02-23-2009, 07:35 AM
2020 Acura RLX Advance

Received 177 Likes on 99 Posts
My fuel mileage is 18-20 with severe in-town use. Mid to high 20's hwy. I drove it from DC to Florida twice within the past 2 mos and averaged between 26-29 mpg for all 4 830 mile legs.

My car had the PAX (run flat tires that require a unique wheel to "lock" the tire bead to the sidewall during rapid deflation and also have an insert attached to the wheel so the deflated tire can ride/be supported on the insert.....as opposed to standard run flats that rely on stiff sidewall to support an airless tire....(std run-flats give a rougher ride and increase rolling resistance....this was the main selling point of PAX to combat the std run flat negatives).
Anyway, because I travel to remote areas where I probably could not get a replacement PAX tire, my selling Acura dealer kindly swapped out my PAX with a brand new RL's standard Michelins and spare tire kit.
I have put 40k on the OEM Michelins and I expect to get 60k......of course most of my driving is highway. I was getting 60k out of each set of Michelins on my 2003 CL-S over the 183k miles I owned it.
The tires have shown absolutely no irregular wear. Acura/Honda engineers are among the best in the industry.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Senior Moderator

On winter gas, I'm getting 17-18 mpg in my mixed driving, 25-26 mpg on pure freeway trips.

Tire wear with the SH-AWD is no problem as long as you keep the alignment good, just like on any car. I tend to buy UHPAS rubber and these by their nature last less time. I had Toyo Proxes that lasted 29k miles before they started hydroplaning in the rain (despite having good tread), and now have been on Goodyear F1 A/S for nearly 7k miles. I expect to get more mileage out of them. The OEMs will last 50k miles easily according to others on the board.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 AM
Advanced

I had an '97 3.2 TL that I loved. I bought it used and drove it for 100k miles and never had to perform any non-routine maintenance except for a new starter. When we were expecting our baby, my wife and I traded it in for a Volvo XC70 (which I also love) since we wanted a car with Latch for the baby seat and more cargo room. Since we lived in downtown Boston at the time, having two cars wouldn't have made sense so we traded in the TL. This was about two years ago and we still fondly remember the great ride and complete lack of squeaks and rattles.

This summer, we moved out of the city and I recently picked up an 05 RL for my commute and I love this car too. As the other posters have said, the RL is the flagship and is a great car!
Old 02-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Safety Car

Hi guys. Thanks for the advice in this thread. Today I took home my RL. Some small things came up that threw my timetable off for a year (like losing my job). But in the end, things are working out.

I wasn't actively searching for an RL, but it was in my top 5 of cars. Then I came across a 2005 RL that was in great condition with a great price.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Congrats on your purchase
Old 02-10-2010, 09:34 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
I considered both the TL-S and the RL - so I was in your shoes not that long ago.

they are similar but also very different.... both are nice and luxurious but they feel very different. The TL-S feels much sportier and faster. It also has a lot less body roll. To me, the TL-S feels like it handles better, but it could be subjective, as the RL has AWD. I suspect in certain scenarios, the TL would be more fun to drive b/c it is firmer and would have less body roll in turns. If I was going to take one out on a twisty mountain road fo ra "fun" drive, I'd rather be in he TL-S, no question.

In terms of overall bang for the buck I think teh RL is a better deal. the RL is FAR FAR more luxurious than the TL-S. You get a LOT of luxury, but it is more of a luxury car and less of a sports sedan than the TL-S.

It all depends on what your priority is. If you are hte kind of guy, that deep down, wishes you were in a 911...then you'll like the TL-S better. Yeah, it torque steers if you really hammer it and drive it at 10/10ths..but at 7/10s...driving "kind of" fast, it feels sportier and feels like it handles better. the AWD of the RL is deceiving, while the RL is more floaty and softer, the AWD can actually make it handle better than a TL in some respects...so while the RL mgiht actually outhandle a TL in some or many aspects, the TL-S will FEEL sportier...I think everyone would agree on that.

in terms of which one is more luxurious, which one conveys more of a sophisticated and upscale image - that's easy. the RL. I would say a TL-S is in the same class of cars as a 3 series, while the RL is more on par with a 5 series or E-class Mercedes.

If you really want it "all", and you like the luxury of an RL, get a used RL and add the aspec suspension and some better wheels/tires and I suspect you woudl have the handling of a TL-S - only better b/c you woudl have AWD. and you woudl not have the boy racer look.

i agree teh TL-S is a bit boy racerish...but not too bad.

if the size of a TL-S is what you like and you want that kind of power - and you can live with something marginally smaller - you might like an IS350 or 335. i test drove both and they are very quick.d the IS350 is fast and the 335i is even faster. both are small..with the IS350 being super small, especially in the back, but both were very very nice cars.

if I didn't have kids, and I didn't need the space of the RL, Iw ould have got a 335i..or course it woudl cost more and off warranty if you have to fix stuff..prepare to pay a LOT..

if you stay Acura and you are choosing between an RL and a TL-S you need to decide what youw ant.

the RL is luxury first, sporty second. i
the TL-S is sporty first, luxury second.

both are great cars. but go about things very differently.

i thoght that I migh regret my RL purchase as it's not super sporty, but after having it for six months, I have come to really enjoy it. it's a unique car, well made, fast enough, ahndles great b/c of AWD and you dont see them on every corner.

and they are great values.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 208 Likes on 167 Posts
Congratulations!

Originally Posted by wackjum
Hi guys. Thanks for the advice in this thread. Today I took home my RL. Some small things came up that threw my timetable off for a year (like losing my job). But in the end, things are working out.

I wasn't actively searching for an RL, but it was in my top 5 of cars. Then I came across a 2005 RL that was in great condition with a great price.
I was in a very similar situation a couple months ago, and got an '06 RL after a long selection process and a long wait. I'm very happy with it -- it's a subtly excellent car whose charms come out more over time. I think you're going to be smiling a lot.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:59 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
congrats man!
Old 02-11-2010, 04:39 PM
Intermediate

Congrats and many happy years of enjoyment...
Old 02-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Congrats and enjoy the RL, it's a great car. Pix please and if you haven't posted in the RL owner sign in thread, please do.