Rattle me this!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 06:47 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I posted in May that my RL had no rattles. I have now noticed a rattle that sounds like something loose in the suspension. I have read it other posts that this may be caused by the front brake pads being loose. Next time I drive it I am going to try applying the brakes slightly and see if the rattle stops. Hardly ever drive the RL - wife won't let me.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:44 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by legendguy
My rattle is from the front driver's side dash near the round air vent. In fact I reported to the dealer it would stop if I pressed on this vent while driving. They test drove it too, noted the location and applied some type of sealer around the inside of the vent. Did not work at all. I am experimenting myself now as it seems that I can push anywhere on the dash near the vent (even on the plastic BELOW the wood) and the rattle is silenced. Does anyone else have a driver's side rattle?
I have a similar sqeak to the driver's window vent on the dash (the round one and not the driver's vent). So far the dealer said they couldn't reproduce it,...jerk, jerk, squirt... Anyway, so far they said they would order a new one... We'll see....
Old 08-18-2005, 06:58 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only squeak I ever hear (usually only on hot days) in the RL is located somewhere to the left of the center console, just to the right of the glove box. I can even force the noise to occur with a couple well placed "presses". This should be an easy one to fix as it's just plastic rubbing plastic. A couple well-placed pieces of felt should do the trick.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:56 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by fifty_rocks
Interesting info, thanks.

I test drove an RL and was amazed at the number of rattles in a car with 14 miles on the odometer. (I also didn't like the dynamics, so rattles weren't the only reason I chose not to buy an RL just yet).
My heart has been set on this new RL for weeks, but this and many of the other posts are sounding pretty discouraging. These creaks and rattles are looking more and more common in this car.

I have a Honda Accord, and I am so used to loud road noise that whatever rattles it has just don't seem to matter. But for 50 grand - I think Acura should have conducted a "Search and Destroy" mission to find these rattles and creaks before ever tossing these things out for retail distribution!

Similar problems were noted with the first of the new TLs (including potentially serious transmission quirks, from what I read) with the 2004 models.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:09 AM
Intermediate

I've had my RL since Nov. There was a suspension rattle that actually turned out to be in the brakes and was just fixed after several attempts by the dealer. HOWEVER, everything else has been fabulous. Don't let these forums be the deciding factor in your choice. Read the BMW forums and you'll find every love/hate story there is. Same with Mercedes, etc. There is no other luxo car available at this time that is AWD and has the seamless comprehensive technology of the RL. Maybe the BMW i-drive will turn you on .... or the service at a Mercedes dealer. I've had them all & you could find fault enough fault with any of the manufacturers to talk yourself or anyone else out of it. Good luck find perfection!
Old 08-21-2005, 02:48 PM
Instructor

I've had my RL since October 15th of last year. Not one rattle, creak, or problem. Not one! No problems with the brakes clattering, no problem with XM or Nav Traffic, etc. Of course, I test drove the car I would be taking home and checked everything first. That is probably the best way to make sure nothing is amiss with the vehicle you choose.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by DCRL
I've had my RL since October 15th of last year. Not one rattle, creak, or problem. Not one! No problems with the brakes clattering, no problem with XM or Nav Traffic, etc. Of course, I test drove the car I would be taking home and checked everything first. That is probably the best way to make sure nothing is amiss with the vehicle you choose.
Sure you checked out your car first. You could tell if there was going to an XM or Nav Traffic problem If you are that good, you should advertise that you can test drive a car and tell whether or not it will have any problems in the first 10 months of ownership. I guess you could call yourself the "Auto Medium"
Old 08-22-2005, 02:46 AM
Instructor

Look, no need for sarcasm. With regard to testing my purchase, I was referring to the subject of this thread, namely rattles. I took my prospective RL out for a nearly twenty-seven mile trip through and around town and over some of D.C.'s worst streets. When the interior remained rattle free, I decided the car had passed what tests I could put it through.

Obviously I did not foresee any of the other problems that some owners have reported, such as slow-to-refresh XM data. (The car debuted the day before, so none of this had even been discussed yet.) Nonetheless, the car has been totally problem and care free thus far. And the service I've received for regular maintenance items (from Chevy Chase Acura) has been exemplary as well.

But obviously, being snide knows no date or bounds with some people.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:30 AM
Racer

The only rattle I have had in my RL is the brake pad. Haven't tried to have it fixed yet. Someone posted that there is a TSB on this problem, but I haven't seen it.
When you consider all the parts that go into a car it is amazing that there are not more rattles, not just in the RL but all cars.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:19 PM
Racer

Look, no need for sarcasm. With regard to testing my purchase, I was referring to the subject of this thread, namely rattles. I took my prospective RL out for a nearly twenty-seven mile trip through and around town and over some of D.C.'s worst streets. When the interior remained rattle free, I decided the car had passed what tests I could put it through.

Obviously I did not foresee any of the other problems that some owners have reported, such as slow-to-refresh XM data. (The car debuted the day before, so none of this had even been discussed yet.) Nonetheless, the car has been totally problem and care free thus far. And the service I've received for regular maintenance items (from Chevy Chase Acura) has been exemplary as well.

But obviously, being snide knows no date or bounds with some people.
My reason for my post is that for everyone on the boards with a problem you BOAST how good your car is and seem to imply that perhaps they should have checked out the car better. You could make your statement about how good your car is your "signature"

Any way don't take it too hard and enjoy your "perfect" car. I hope it stays that way for you.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Racer

Below is one of your posts. In my opinion, this is a problem !

"Yes, the RL's XM system (at least mine) resets to the preview channel only when the car has been in a covered area, such as a covered parking lot or garage. " DCRL
Old 08-23-2005, 12:33 AM
Instructor

As you may have noticed by now, I don't value your opinion too highly. But as for the XM system, I park in a downtown garage on occasion. It is underground and covered. When I exit, the XM radio resets to the preview channel. Only time it happens. I'm told some units will do that if turned on before they can read individual signals. To you it's a problem. To me it is nothing. Not even an inconvenience, since I park at this garage maybe once or twice a month. Otherwise, my XM is perfection and never, ever lets me down. No slow refresh, no delay on traffic updates, etc.

Why don't you grow up?
Old 08-23-2005, 09:46 AM
Racer

As you may have noticed by now, I don't value your opinion too highly. But as for the XM system, I park in a downtown garage on occasion. It is underground and covered. When I exit, the XM radio resets to the preview channel. Only time it happens. I'm told some units will do that if turned on before they can read individual signals. To you it's a problem. To me it is nothing. Not even an inconvenience, since I park at this garage maybe once or twice a month. Otherwise, my XM is perfection and never, ever lets me down. No slow refresh, no delay on traffic updates, etc.

Why don't you grow up?
I shall end this conversation now as you are too conceited for me to deal with.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:52 AM
Racer

Why don't you grow up?
I park in many undercover garages. May not get the FM signal due to the garage, but the XM system never resets to the preview channel. The fact that yours resets exhibits a problem. Because you wish to consider that situation "nothing"
does not mean it is not a problem.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:57 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by monwe
I've had my RL since Nov. There was a suspension rattle that actually turned out to be in the brakes and was just fixed after several attempts by the dealer. HOWEVER, everything else has been fabulous. Don't let these forums be the deciding factor in your choice. Read the BMW forums and you'll find every love/hate story there is. Same with Mercedes, etc. There is no other luxo car available at this time that is AWD and has the seamless comprehensive technology of the RL. Maybe the BMW i-drive will turn you on .... or the service at a Mercedes dealer. I've had them all & you could find fault enough fault with any of the manufacturers to talk yourself or anyone else out of it. Good luck find perfection!

What did they tell you was wrong/lose on the brakes?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:10 PM
2006 RL Carbon Gray/Ebony

First, let me say I'm glad that your RL is trouble free. Unfortunately for many of us, it just isn't the case.

However, I am curious how you got the dealer to let you test drive a brand new car for 27 miles before agreeing to buy it. There is no way that I would take delivery of a car with more than 10 miles on it without a damn good explanation from the dealer (or a substantial discount).
Old 08-23-2005, 03:40 PM
Instructor

I called several dealers, until one told me I could keep the car overnight. There was a big proviso, however. I had to show I could pay for the car. I showed them a cashier's check and got the car overnight. That's when I started testing. I also agreed that if I found anything out of the ordinary, or that would negate the sale, I would return it without adding any more miles.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:23 AM
Intermediate

The rattle from the front end

According to the dealer, the rattle from the front end was caused by the brake pads. The dealer received a bulletin on it & the repair is fine so far.
Old 08-24-2005, 08:25 AM
2007 Lexus GS 350

Originally Posted by monwe
According to the dealer, the rattle from the front end was caused by the brake pads. The dealer received a bulletin on it & the repair is fine so far.
Does anyone know what VIN #'s are covered under this TSB?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:49 AM
Intermediate

What is the 05-006 update?
Old 08-24-2005, 08:52 AM
Intermediate

What is the 05-006 update / fix???
Old 08-24-2005, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PeterL1
What is the 05-006 update / fix???
05-006 Product Update: AcuraLink Control Unit Does Not Receive Real-Time Traffic
More info on this is available at acura world website.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:50 PM
2nd Gear

Deck Rattle

I've got it too. My package tray rattles. Does anby one know where to start on this I just go the car. Let's see if they can find it at first service.

Robert
Old 04-22-2006, 11:55 AM
7th Gear

I too have had numerous problems with rattles. There was a recurring noise to the left of the steering wheel in the dash somewhere. If you touched and I mean just gently touch the 'wood' under the air difusser the noise would stop. I had it in to the delear several times. At first they could not replicate it. The next time they found it? and did remedial work to stop it. It came back and back again. Finally they took out the dash and 'taped it up'. It went away for a few weeks. Back to the shop again and they claimed they found it in the A post or something named like that. Anyway, I have a new rattle, it is not in the inital location but now in the A post.
Additionally, I have always had a rattle in the back window area. I don't have any way of ridding in the back and listening to it at the same time. I read on the forum that someone had problems with rattles in the rear sunshade. That sounds about right. The next time I go in with rattle-ice-is I'm going to complain and say the culprit is the sunscreen just for fun. Maybe they will fix it.
Other problems I have had.
1. The metal caps on the tire air valves rusted on solid over the winter. I had to use a set of vice-grips to take them off. Acura changed them to plastic ones without me even asking at a routine maintenance. The next week Acura sent me and I presume other owners a set of plastic caps in the mail as a courtesy.
Oh Yeah...I noticed a lot of rattling in my front end. With all the other rattles I had I thought I must be just a pain in the rearend owner who just complains and complains. You know the feeling. You go into the dealer and tell them of a minor nuciance item and they say..we have never had anyone ever have that problem. Well, during a routine service they replaced springs on the front brake systems. I asked why?...they said it was a campaign initiatiated by Acura because of a a rattling noise issue in the front end.
One more thing. FOB #1 opened the doors sometimes and other times it wouldn't then it would etc etc. I phoned the dealership. How is FOB #2...no problems. Well just re-program #1. Then it worked then it didn't. Then FOB 2 wouldn't work. Long and the short of it. Both front door handles have been replaced and I've had not had problems since.
One more thing. When I accelerated the driver's outside mirror would move freely. When I called the dealership they said they were startled...never had that happen before. I brought the car in and they promply replaced both mirrors.
I live in a northern climate. I'm not sure but I think a few of the problems are related to the extreme cold weather. I would suggest Acura do more cold weather testing before sending AWD units to the North.
Other than that I like my car.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
[FONT=Arial] Hello all, I'm new to this site, have read this thread and figured I'd contribute. First off, I regret I sold my 1993 Acura Legend LS 6 speed coupe.

I bought a 2005 Acura RL in November '04. Acura did a fantastic job with the black paint job in Japan.

I noticed the rattle coming from the front right area of the dash and localized it to the round vent. I took it to my dealer, they pulled the dash, the rattle remained but they scratched the gorgeous wood trim.

My wood trimmed steering wheel finally arrived, they installed it, and gave my car a courtesy buffing. I figure they rested the buffer in the sand between breaks. Here's what my dealer did to my gorgous RL.

I took it back and the dealer said they took it to a local body shop which specializes in Ferraris for a custom wet sanding. The body shop said they were told to just buff it out. The finish was ruined - the worst swirl marks I've ever seen and the deep black was transformed into an insipid dark milky non-color. Still had the rattle. My headlight assembly filled with water after a rain storm. Had problems with my driver door controls ... when they pulled the door panel, I'm told a substantial amount of water poured out.

The car was also a slug. There was no way that car had a 300 HP engine. So, after much back and forth, the dealer put me into a new Lakeshore Silver RL.

Not my favorite color, but it was the only one on the lot, at that time, which had not received the attention of the dealership's buffer crew.

Well, this car has 300 HP (or 290) and is very quick. I had the rattle from the same place - the right front roundish vent, but after a few thousand miles, it went away. Dunno why.

I've had no problems with the car except for a droning, slight grinding sound at 50 mph, and dreadful gas economy. Around town, some highway, I average (according to the computer) low 14s. Pretty awful, but I have not had the chance to accurately measure mileage the old fashioned way yet.

Blue tooth with my Treo 650 is intermittent, sometimes it engages, sometimes it doesn't.

The screen is dim on start up. I live in Southern California and don't think the car has ever experienced temps below 50.

The ride is a bit jittery, but much better with the stock 17s than the optional 18s which I had put on the black RL before I gave it back to them.

All in all, I have to say the RL is a great car, the handling is superb, SH-AWD is terrific, the look of the car is growing on me, to the point where I like it.

It's no Legend. My 93 LS 6 speed coupe had 150,000 miles on it when I sold it. Never a rattle. At about 90,000 miles I put in a Dinan Stage II chip, RM Racing CAI intake, Kone exhaust, Konis, Eibach prokits, 17" lightweight forged wheels, Brembo rotors, Porterfield RS4 pads (terrific!), stainless/kevlar braided brake lines. The interior and exterior were perfect, the car was as comfortable as an old leather bomber jacket, and very quick - G-Tech Pro best time to 60 was 6 seconds flat. I wish Acura made a comparable car, updated for the 21st century.

Anyway, I like the RL, but can't say I love it.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:25 AM
Intermediate

In case Acura monitors this site, I figured I'd make my recommendations as to how Honda could make the RL a class leader.

1. Raise the redline to 7750 and the HP to 330.
2. Give the RL at least a 6 speed automatic transmission and the driver the ability to select shift modes from soft (current) to sporty (firm)
3. Make a 6 speed manual an option.
4. Offer the option of a longer wheelbase model for increased rear leg room.
5. Offer reclining rear seats for the stretch version.
6. Put the car on a diet and somehow lose at least 200 lbs.
7. Rework the power moon roof to reduce interior draft when open.

Put Helga from the House-of-Pain in charge of dealer relations and whip those guys into shape.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by 2x6spds
In case Acura monitors this site, I figured I'd make my recommendations as to how Honda could make the RL a class leader.

1. Raise the redline to 7750 and the HP to 330.
2. Give the RL at least a 6 speed automatic transmission and the driver the ability to select shift modes from soft (current) to sporty (firm)
3. Make a 6 speed manual an option.
4. Offer the option of a longer wheelbase model for increased rear leg room.
5. Offer reclining rear seats for the stretch version.
6. Put the car on a diet and somehow lose at least 200 lbs.
7. Rework the power moon roof to reduce interior draft when open.

Put Helga from the House-of-Pain in charge of dealer relations and whip those guys into shape.
So you want a bigger engine, a bigger transmission, a bigger car, more features AND lose 200 lbs? Next you will want it to be cheaper too!
Old 05-25-2006, 10:29 AM
'06 RL

Originally Posted by db22
So you want a bigger engine, a bigger transmission, a bigger car, more features AND lose 200 lbs? Next you will want it to be cheaper too!
And wings! And a bar, and a disco. Oh, and it needs to get 60 MPG!

Yeah, that's the ticket....
Old 05-25-2006, 12:05 PM
Intermediate

I figure Honda can get 330 HP from 3.5 liters without much problem. The RL seems to be just starting to cook at higher rpms when it shifts. With a 290 HP 6 cylinder engine and a 5 speed automatic (which is obviously controlled to back off engine output at shift points) the car can be left flat footed when you want it to scoot. Highway passing ability is not on par with the RL's 8 cylinder competitors. I applaud Honda's use of a 6 to compete against other marques' V8s, but if Honda wants to do this then it should tweak its 6 so it is not outclassed by the V8s.

I think the the RL is a bit heavy and that weight is the enemy of both fuel economy, performance and vehicle dynamics. Maybe Honda would have to use a bit more aluminum to lose the weight and maintain the luxury virtues of the RL, but I'm sure they could do it.

As to price, I think the RL is a great car, but at $50,000 it is not a flaming deal.

Anyway, no offense intended. Just sharing my impressions as to how Honda could make the RL a better car.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

The problem is not the Horsepower it's the torque. Yes Honda can tweak it but it costs more than you and I want to pay. The easy way out is a V8. I'm sure that some of you have been in a Z28. Goes like a bat out of hell with less horsepower.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Intermediate

I think HP and torque are related functions. More HP means more torque. Because of iVTEC shouldn't lose any down low just because we pump up the upper rev range.

Yes, the Z28 and the GM OHV (2 valve/cylinder) small block V8s can be made powerful, light, and compact but it's not Honda's way.

The RL is very quick off the line, but it starts to really cook higher up the rev band. Have to dance with the one you brung - Hondas are high revving thoroughbreds. I'd just like a bit more of the good stuff. Honda may have thought that tuning the 3.5 with a higher red line and output would result in white hot acceleration from 5-7500 rpm and that might scare some of the customers.

I say, if Honda wants to make the RL an extremely luxurious sports sedan, work on the sports side of the equation. Except for the want of a bit more back seat leg room, Honda has the luxury part of the equation in place.
Old 05-26-2006, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by 2x6spds
I think HP and torque are related functions. More HP means more torque. Because of iVTEC shouldn't lose any down low just because we pump up the upper rev range.

Yes, the Z28 and the GM OHV (2 valve/cylinder) small block V8s can be made powerful, light, and compact but it's not Honda's way.

The RL is very quick off the line, but it starts to really cook higher up the rev band. Have to dance with the one you brung - Hondas are high revving thoroughbreds. I'd just like a bit more of the good stuff. Honda may have thought that tuning the 3.5 with a higher red line and output would result in white hot acceleration from 5-7500 rpm and that might scare some of the customers.

I say, if Honda wants to make the RL an extremely luxurious sports sedan, work on the sports side of the equation. Except for the want of a bit more back seat leg room, Honda has the luxury part of the equation in place.
The RL really acts like a sports sedan if you use manual shift and keep the revs up. BTW - the LS 400 sold well for 10 years with less performance than the RL but the bar has been raised - I don't think that the M45 has "scared" any potential customers with 340 HP?
Old 05-28-2006, 11:03 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by db22
The RL really acts like a sports sedan if you use manual shift and keep the revs up. BTW - the LS 400 sold well for 10 years with less performance than the RL but the bar has been raised - I don't think that the M45 has "scared" any potential customers with 340 HP?
I forgot one of the items on my RL wishlist ... rev matching on down shifts in 'manual' mode. I have an S2000 whose wide-open-throttle performance is relatively undistinguished at low revs, but between 6000-9000 rpm it's white hot. I have the feeling that if the 3.5 were tuned to 330 HP with a 7750 redline, it would have 'white hot' performance in the 4500-7500 rpm range.

I think it's incredible that Honda got so much output from a SOHC design. Certainly, DOHCs and iVTEC would permit a significant bump in output and would get much more out of iVTEC.

Please don't take my comments to mean that I am criticizing Honda for the RL. I like it more and more. However, Honda could do much more with the RL, an extra gear, rev matching on downshifts, another 40 HP and the RL would be a class leader instead of a superb midpack runner.

I have a good friend who has the last of the BMW 740iLs. It has a nice V8, and the 6 cylinder Acura RL is quicker than the last generation BMW V8. The thing is that Acura's competition presents moving targets. So, the 6 cylinder RL is quicker than the last generation BMW 740 and the last generation LS400, but each marque has come out with a new V8 which will walk away from the 6 cylinder RL.
Old 05-28-2006, 11:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
It seems like this thread has drifted too far from its original topic...