Possible Non-Destructive Method to Test CMBS Function

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007 | 03:20 PM
Instructor

Possible Non-Destructive Method to Test CMBS Function

Especially for SpicyMikey: This week's issue of AutoWeek (Sept. 17) contains an article that suggests a possible method of actually testing the Acura CMBS system without a simulated collision situation.

In an update article on a long-term test of a Lexus LS 460 L, they mention a situation in which the Lexus Pre-Collision System slammed on the brakes and fully tightened the seat belts in preparation for a crash. In this instance nowever, the system was apparently falsely triggered by, what the writer descibes as, "a large slab of steel covering a construction site on the road".

Since the Acura CMBS system relys on radar for triggering, as does the Lexus system, I wonder if this might be a way of testing its operation without the danger trying to simulate an actual collision event?

It calls for finding a similar road condition, but assuming someone on the list with a CMBS equipped car could locate such a site, it might be worth a try.

Any thoughts about trying it??
Old 09-15-2007 | 03:40 PM
Pro

its actually listed in the manual as one of those conditions that will trigger a false collision.
I have experienced it, and its unsettling when you dont expect it.
I have since conditioned myself that whenever I am driving and come across of those metal plates, to simple touch the brakes as I approach which overrides the system and prevents it from falsing.
Old 09-15-2007 | 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I've had mine triggered (only stage 1 though) by signs at the bottom of a hill, railroad tracks (also at the bottom of a grade), and a couple of weeks ago, a wet bush (it was raining) straight ahead where the road curves. Acura "warns" of these types of false alarms.

LL