Plan of action (performance wise)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008 | 03:47 AM
Instructor

Plan of action (performance wise)

Well, after have owned the car for a week I can say this:

Dollar for dollar, this car is unmatched in the degree of luxury you get.
It is wonderful to drive. My wife and 2 year old love it. Again, I love driving it. There was already one evening where I just sat in the car checking it out and enjoying the comfort of the seats.

As far as it's performance it has two personalities - grandma and a forty-year old athlete. The car has decent power and speed for its weight, but you really have to keep your foot to the floor and take control of the gearbox. I don't know why, but I keep hitting the rev-limiter when I rely on the paddels so I have to use the shifter.

I've read just about every post on this site and some articles on the web. It seems that the cheapest and best route to get reasonable HP gains is in the intake area. The spoon endurance RL, aside from getting the internals balanced and remapping the A/F curves, only had it's throttle body enlarged and some basic modifications to the stock airbox.

That being said: I'm going to grab the AEM CAI and the TB spacers for starters. If I can find a cheap enough TB, I'll have someone enlarge it for me. I have no clue on what the specs should be so I'll have to research it and/or solicit input from others. I cannot bring myself to purchase the underdrive pulley. Everything I've read and the local mechanics I've talked to all seem to agree that, to some degree, the crank pulley still acts as a harmonic balancer. The exhaust will probably be last. I'll wait to see if there are any gains from the yet-to-come custom J-pipe and from there, probably pick up the mugen exhaust. I have to start sniffing around the car to see where some weight can be lost, but I doubt there'll be much worth removing.

So that's my plan. I'd love to hear from anyone whose done any of these mods or has investigated other things. Unfortunately, we're all aware of the dyno problems and this is compounded for me as last time I checked there were only two dynos on this island. That means, when it's all said and done the final judge will be the butt.

I'll probably order the CAI and Spacers tomorrow and install them the weekend after I recieve them.
Old 10-08-2008 | 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

If you need the AEM CAI or the P2R TB spacer with gaskets we have them in stock. On the RL you will want to make an additional bracket to secure the intake which we do not have.

If interested check out http://store.excelerateperformance.com and look under a 04-08 TL for reference.
Old 10-08-2008 | 11:39 AM
Senior Moderator

You beat me to it, Excelerate, I was going to direct him to you for the TB! The TB is the same as fits the 3G TL. I'm still interested in seeing someone do a dyno after install.

Frankly, I'm another 20k miles from installing it. I'll do it when the factory warranty runs out and re-run a dyno at that time. My dynos were done with only 7k miles on the car so I'm sure I'll do better the next time.

As far as the CAI WITH bracket, there's only one place to get that, and that's Visionary Racing. Comes with all instructions. Or, as Excelerate says, you can also buy the CAI from him and fashion your own bracket.

Here's my dyno thread if you haven't seen it yet:
https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/m-003-my-rl-dynoed-part-2-post-mod-results-videos-pix-499256/