PCV valve.....better have a plan B if u dare!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PCV valve.....better have a plan B if u dare!

My car......new to me has 113k miles on it and I know most people dont know to change the PCV valve so I ordered one up and waited for it to arrive. My 2006 is having a rough idle at start up then smooths out nicely so one of the first areas I thought I would check was the easy repl PCV valve. I have replaced a PCV valve on a Honda Element with great success.......a Honda Pilot I failed but was able to save the day.....and now a Acura RL which I also failed but was able to save the day.
All I can tell anyone that clicked on this thread is that if you plan to replace your PCV valve you had better have a plan B if it cracks and breaks during removal. Yes there are methods to retrieve the cracked portion still stuck in the hole.....but the portion that breaks off inside your valve cover is a whole different animal!!!!! Long story short for me.....I was able to retrieve the broken piece from my valve cover using a shop vac with a smaller hose.....it took me a couple of hours but I am so happy to have that fixed.

Question for those who have installed theirs successfully........With our car you use a collar to fill the gap during install. I used my collar and tightened the bolt but not crazy tight.............My question for u guys if you dont mind checking for me......can u still wiggle your PCV valve when totally installed? I can still wiggle mine...the collar prevents pressure on the valve....the pressure is being put on the collar. I think as long as the O rings are seated we are good to go.....lt me know.....thanks
Old 10-31-2019, 09:41 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Mine has no play
Old 10-31-2019, 09:49 AM
Advanced

Thanks projek.........hmmmmm so u tried to twist it right? My bolt is good and tight but since it is bottoming out on the inner collar it leaves the PVC with some wiggle. Essentially the collar is doing its job by not letting me crack the plastic valve ....but I wish it was a "no play " situation.....its just a vent so I guess its ok......that me trying to justify it. I guess I could grind the collar down a bit. After 4 hours of removing the old broken valve from the valve cover I am not too excited about going back in.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:02 PM
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
Originally Posted by JPV74
Thanks projek.........hmmmmm so u tried to twist it right? My bolt is good and tight but since it is bottoming out on the inner collar it leaves the PVC with some wiggle. Essentially the collar is doing its job by not letting me crack the plastic valve ....but I wish it was a "no play " situation.....its just a vent so I guess its ok......that me trying to justify it. I guess I could grind the collar down a bit. After 4 hours of removing the old broken valve from the valve cover I am not too excited about going back in.
I will be replacing mine soon. I will take some pics and report back. This is my second time replacing it.
Old 10-31-2019, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Ya thanks.....I am the kind of person that this little bit of wiggle in my PCV will drive me crazy until I do something about it. Again the bolt cant be tightened any further so just picture the bolt sqeezed up against the collar sleeve yet it put zero tension of the plastic mounting base.....thus I can wiggle the side of the base that there is no bolt. I am hoping that the bolt is at least holding my valve in far enough to seat each o ring.
Old 10-31-2019, 05:43 PM
Advanced

Let see if I can load a pic of my old and new......I assume my new part was correct....it is OEM....same as my brothers Honda Pilot.
Old 11-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, I just replaced mine on the 2008 RL and 2010 MDX.
Both came out without issues.
Old 11-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Hey Blaser.....I am not sure if there is any difference in a 08 and a 06 but can you tell me......

1. did you use the inner collar that came off of your old PCV valve?
1. If you grab your installed PCV valve on the opposite side of the bolt and wiggle is there any play?

Thanks
Old 11-02-2019, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JPV74
Hey Blaser.....I am not sure if there is any difference in a 08 and a 06 but can you tell me......

1. did you use the inner collar that came off of your old PCV valve?
2. If you grab your installed PCV valve on the opposite side of the bolt and wiggle is there any play?

Thanks
1) yes, I didn't get one with the new pcv valve
2) not sure, my daughter has the car but I remember when I pushed it in it felt snug.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:47 PM
Advanced

Just took my RL on a 400 mile trip after the PCV valve replacement. I believe mine has been broken for a long time.....I am reporting smoother idle upon cold start which is great. The car ran great for the whole trip. The way the tranny shifts takes a little getting used to compared to my other cars but over all I am enjoying this new to me car. I think they are a great value for the dollar. I am starting to think the only reason Acura didnt sell many of them is due to the technology packed into the console area....I have only owned the car for a couple of weeks and done drive it often. I find navigating through the XM stereo stations confusing as well as other menu's. Anyway.....I will eventually get comfortable with the buttons and have a great road trip car to enjoy.