Official neuronbob™ one-year review of the RL--long

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 07:34 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Official neuronbob™ one-year review of the RL--long

Subtitle: Acura/Honda hits the mark with a few exceptions

When I owned my 2004 (3G) TL, I was one of the first 3G TL owners on AZ, maybe THE first. I thus took it upon myself to provide regular updates, usually every three months or so, on the ownership experience such that others considering the car might benefit from mine. This turned out to be a very popular move. I have not been so fastidious with reports on my RL because by the time I purchased mine one year ago Friday, it was already a known quantity. However, a one-year report is appropriate.

Some previous post highlights:

Pre-purchase qvetching:
A good time to buy an RL? In which my conclusions about RL sales turned out to be WAY off as the RL continues to be a good buy--I could've waited another year to purchase.
Test drive #2, RL vs TL impressions, in which I made my final decision to purchase the RL

Initial reports:
New RL owner!
This car feels ALMOST as fast as the TL...
Three month review

Taking a hit for the AZ fam by dynoing my girl:
My RL dyno'd!
My RL dyno'd part 2

With that said, I move into the review.

Current mileage: 15724

Service required:
A1 service February 2007, $120
B16 service July 2007, 12650 miles, $270

Extra service performed:
A-Spec suspension and wheels, Toyo Proxes 4, installed 11/06
Tint installed 12/06
Rearview camera installed 12/06
CAI and 5zigen exhaust installed, pre- and post-install dynos performed 3/07
Installed wood steering wheel and shift knob myself 7/07

Unexpected service:
MusicLink replaced with rev. 2 12/06
Two tires replaced due to bubble in sidewall, 9/07, tranny whining investigated

Upcoming service:
Propeller shaft replacement

Interior
The driver's side seat bolster on the left has not held up well. I have lines running the length of the bolster that are indicative of premature wear. The rest of the seat is fine. Will provide pictures another time. Otherwise, the leather has held up well this first year, even with a child seat and seat protector covering one of the rear seats.

I’m used to the stereo buttons by now, but I only use them when my iPod is connected as I listen to XM 95% of the time, and my favorite channels are all preset. I therefore use the steering wheel for most of my listening pleasure. The interior looks much better, more cohesive, with the wood-look steering wheel and the wood shift knob. I did a detailed interior analysis earlier this year and still find the RL stacks up to the competition. Everyone I drive in my car is duly impressed by the interior. Acura hit the mark here.

The sunroof squeaks on bumpy roads. I plan to eventually buy some silicone lube to fix the issue myself, but until then will just put up with it. The glove compartment also squeaked, but that is because of the multiple times it had to be taken apart with my MusicLink troubles. I’ve had it fixed and all is fine now. Other than that, no rattles!

Trunk
I complained that the trunk was small. After a year of use, it’s actually not that bad, the layout is just weird. I can fit a mega-box of the baby’s diapers and the rest of our groceries in the trunk with no difficulty.

Technology
Navi: I am awaiting the new navi disc so don’t have any comments about it. I run this totally by voice now, it’s so easy. I still wish for a touch screen but have adjusted to life without it. I haven’t figured out yet how to get rid of restaurant listings thousands of miles away when I do a simple search. Frustrating.

NavTraffic: After looking at the GoogleMaps coverage for Cleveland (very limited), I understand why the trafflic flow service is not available via XM. I have been in Boston, where the coverage is available, and found it reasonably accurate. The traffic reports are rather slowly updated, however. All the road construction in the Cleveland area is listed, though. Confusingly, some of the road construction is labeled as “incidents” with “lane blocked”. I will likely have to call XM on this to get these items corrected. I am sure Cleveland is NOT on their hot list for corrections or accuracy, though. Even so, I paid only $47.88 to renew the service for a year. If my concerns aren’t addressed, I won’t be paying for another year of service.

OnStar: I have never used it and hope never to have to. I renewed it because my wife told me to. It gives HER peace of mind about me. I agreed only because of the potential for theft. I know that if the battery wires are cut or if the thieves go quickly where there’s no cell signal, then I’m toast, but in that situation I’m not sure I’d want the car back anyway—it’d likely be in a chop shop.

Does anyone use the paddle shifters? I don’t.

I like the adaptive headlights. They really do work when you turn the wheel at speed. What one notices is a subtle change in the spread of the light in the direction you are turning. This is more noticeable in areas where there is poor lighting. Is it a “make or break” feature for the RL? Nah. Is it nice to have if you can get a Tech model? Sure!

Rearview camera: I use this on a daily basis and it is great to have. It is best at night. The backup lights provide a surprising amount of illumination for the camera and as a result, it is easiest to use at night. It’s most difficult to use on a bright, sunny day when you are backing up toward the sun—the picture totally washes out. On the whole, with a baby, this is still an invaluable device as I back in to park at my home.

MusicLink: I still haven’t replaced the software on my iPod. I use it in shuffle mode in the car and it works fine. I would switch to the Neo or USASpec systems but given the install issues on my car (dealer installer knocked out my AC connector and I had a buggy device at first), I don’t want anyone taking my dash apart again. Sound quality is superb, especially with uncompressed music. I will be purchasing an iPod Touch shortly and will test it with the connector. Because the new iPod runs MacOS X rather than the old PortalPlayer OS, I don’t expect it to work. Worth a shot, though!

Driving
The experience can be summarized thus: You point it, it goes where you tell it to and it stays planted. In a turn, it’s stable.

A-Spec: Ride quality after almost a year of A-Spec hasn’t deteriorated from when I had it installed. Without A-Spec, this car is a “sporty” sedan. With A-Spec and decent rubber, it becomes nearly a sport sedan. It’s not tossable like my modded TL or like a very light TSX, but I still feel the handling is more than adequate for my needs.

SH-AWD: I note there is mild understeer that appears near the end of a steep turn, but if you keep the gas evenly applied through the turn, the SH-AWD will correct for most of that. It is clear that this car is FWD-biased, though, because of that understeer. It’s too bad that Acura fails to mention that the KEY feature of SH-AWD is its handling in DRY weather. I have been through a winter and a wet spring with the RL and find the SH-AWD also makes the car very stable in inclement conditions. After owning this car, I’m not sure I can go back to FWD again because of the improvement in handling.

Six months with the 5zigen exhaust and CAI: I was originally planning to take these off and return to stock after my experiment and dyno. However, I love the sound at launch so much that I decided to keep them. It makes me popular at the dealer! I have no engine rattles, check engine lights, or any other issues related to their installation. I don’t notice a significant difference in low-end torque. I do notice a major difference in VTEC mode—the power is there far after it was with the car stock. In about six months, I’ll have to figure out how to clean the filter so I don’t FUBAR the engine, but otherwise with AEM’s quality, I do not fear that particulates are ruining my engine with the CAI. With a lesser brand, I would be concerned enough to not install.

Conclusion
I really love my RL, and even more so after my mods. As many who post here say, it is not a car that screams “buy me now!” or “I’m successful!” or “I have BIG balls!” like a MB E-series or a BMW 5-series would. It doesn’t have the best low-end torque. Having lived with it for the last year, though, I think it is like my TL was—a jack of all trades, master of none, but competent enough to give one pause about the competition. It is a steal at the street price of $40-45k for the Tech, and is frankly a steal even at MSRP. The best feature of this car is that it simply grows on you, and no matter how hard you look at the competition, what you get for your money in the RL simply cannot be beat.

Price an E or 5-series comparably equipped to the RL and you are already at almost or over$60k. With those cars, one is looking purely at showing the size of their success or of their balls. Even the comparably-priced GS300 has issues for me, like its truly teeny-tiny trunk, though it has a very beautiful exterior. The Infiniti M is probably the car that compares closest to the RL, and regulars here know I almost bought one on two occasions. The big advantage to that one is low-end torque.

Why mention the competitors? I do so merely to emphasize the point I made above that for those who prefer to invest their money rather than spend lavishly, the RL definitely rewards you. For the first time in years, I don’t have “newcaritis”.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Neuronbob,

Thanks for the 1 year review!

If you recall, I was looking for an 07, but there aren't any new ones left in the Northern NJ area, as I mentioned in my posts on previous threads. I'm planning on going for the 08 base but have this itch for the tech package. I like all the features of the package, backup camera, adaptive headlights, and intergrated navi. Thinking the $2-3K extra is going to worth it right now...

Anyway, a couple of questions.

1) The A1 service, $120? I thought it was just an oil change? Did they do anything else?

2) The propeller shaft replacement. Why are you replacing the drive shaft? If you're going to replace that with another carbon fiber reinforced one, won't that be $$$$? I don't think carbon fiber is cheap...

3) Was the car's ride before A-spec "good enough"? After I get the RL, I was thinking of going just with the A-spec suspension as well...

As a comment, I agree with you. The RL doesn't scream "I'm the man!". It's a Q-ship, which is so nice........ Hey, I'm comfortable in my own skin!
Old 09-23-2007, 09:09 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
The best feature of this car is that it simply grows on you, and no matter how hard you look at the competition, what you get for your money in the RL simply cannot be beat.
This says it all for me - even into the current model year.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by geronimomoe
1) The A1 service, $120? I thought it was just an oil change? Did they do anything else?
They also replaced the cabin air filter and a couple of other things I forget. I'll have to dig out the invoice. There was a good reason I didn't complain about the price, IIRC.

2) The propeller shaft replacement. Why are you replacing the drive shaft? If you're going to replace that with another carbon fiber reinforced one, won't that be $$$$? I don't think carbon fiber is cheap...
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2156

The thread above pretty much says it all about the drivetrain whine. I'm not yet sure it's a huge deal as it doesn't affect driveability (yet), and others have heard this in the new MDX as well. It is being replaced under warranty--developed after diff change for me.

3) Was the car's ride before A-spec "good enough"? After I get the RL, I was thinking of going just with the A-spec suspension as well...
I spent 995 long miles on the stock Michelins before I got the A-Spec and decent rubber. The car had a bit of tendency to float. Not like a Toyota/Lexus product, mind you, those cars are boats, which I why I don't buy them. A-Spec took care of that in a hurry! Please take my words with a grain of salt, as I came to the RL from a highly modded 3G TL with A-Spec suspension, 18" wheels, and Comptech rear sway bar (e.g. thicker). ANYTHING would have been floaty after that.

So long answer short, "yes, it's good enough", but the great thing about A-Spec is the maintenance of a stately ride despite sharper handling.

As a comment, I agree with you. The RL doesn't scream "I'm the man!". It's a Q-ship, which is so nice........ Hey, I'm comfortable in my own skin!

I AM the man, but I don't need to scream that to everyone on the street.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:43 AM
07 RL (non-tech)w/06 Nav

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the moderator needs to move this thread...too much rambling....

just kidding
Old 09-23-2007, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by larrynimmo
the moderator needs to move this thread...too much rambling....

I DID warn it was long, didn't I?
Old 09-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Pro

Nice write up, thanks.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:27 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Good write-up as usual, Bob, but the most newsworthy thing about it is that you've had some odd problems. Driveshaft? Gee. And you mention replacement of the differential? What's that about? I must have been out of the country when that happened.

If this post had been on certain other car forums, I might have expected to hear about transmission replacements, major electrical problems or other equally calamitous issues. But with the RL, I'm actually surprised to hear you even have a rattle.

The other thing that surprises me is that on an RL forum, the auto spell-checker (which puts a little red line under misspelled words) always shows "RL" as a misspelling.

Thanks for the report.

Old 09-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Price an E or 5-series comparably equipped to the RL and you are already at almost or over$60k. With those cars, one is looking purely at showing the size of their success or of their balls.
Actually, Bob, I have determined empirically that it is not the gonads but the phallus that is at issue here. And those who feel they need an extender generally choose their vehicle accordingly...

Can you say BMW 5-series (needs a little reassurance)? Ford F-350 duallie pickup (extreme hypotrophic phallus syndrome)??

Nice write-up. I don't use the paddle shifters either. Like the vermiform appendix, it is a vestigial organ designed solely to provide income to those qualified to deal with it!!
Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Good write-up as usual, Bob, but the most newsworthy thing about it is that you've had some odd problems. Driveshaft? Gee. And you mention replacement of the differential? What's that about? I must have been out of the country when that happened.

If this post had been on certain other car forums, I might have expected to hear about transmission replacements, major electrical problems or other equally calamitous issues. But with the RL, I'm actually surprised to hear you even have a rattle.

The other thing that surprises me is that on an RL forum, the auto spell-checker (which puts a little red line under misspelled words) always shows "RL" as a misspelling.

Thanks for the report.

I don't think he's referring to having the differential itself changed but rather the differential fluid.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:51 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by dwboston
I don't think he's referring to having the differential itself changed but rather the differential fluid.
Correct. I started noting issues after that service. It was probably just chance as I don't see how a change in diff fluid would cause the driveshaft whining noted on our site.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:33 AM
AcurAdmirer

Correct. I started noting issues after that service. It was probably just chance as I don't see how a change in diff fluid would cause the driveshaft whining noted on our site.
Whew! I'm glad I misunderstood that! I was afraid you had blown a rear end when I wasn't looking.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:55 PM
Proboscis-free zone

... I don't see how a change in diff fluid would cause the driveshaft whining noted on our site.
Whining?? On our site???

Ohhhhh. You mean the car.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:03 AM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Great post Bob!

I have used the paddle shifters, but only in straight line driving. And only to prove to myself that it actually works. For me it seems more natural to keep my hand on the center console gear selector and manually shift...if I "need" too!

I just completed my A1 service and it was just an oil change and tire rotation. I just looked at my invoice and didn't see anything about a cabin air filter. Should I have?

Personally I find the codes for the services kinda confusing. I'm sure it's just me...
Old 09-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
No you should not have for the A 1 service.

The A 1 service is just oil and rotate tires.
A=Change Oil
1=Rotate Tires

The 2 service is much more extensive, and includes the dust and pollen filter, and an advisory to change every 15,000 miles if you live in a high particulate area.

o Replace air cleaner element. If you drive in dusty conditions, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
o Replace dust and pollen filter. If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
o Inspect drive belt

06 Owners Manual on Pages 357-358 has extensive details that I did not want to bother to copy here. They codes are a lot to remember. You need the book.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:10 AM
'10 A5 & '07 TL

Originally Posted by Chas2
No you should not have for the A 1 service.

The A 1 service is just oil and rotate tires.
A=Change Oil
1=Rotate Tires

The 2 service is much more extensive, and includes the dust and pollen filter, and an advisory to change every 15,000 miles if you live in a high particulate area.

o Replace air cleaner element. If you drive in dusty conditions, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
o Replace dust and pollen filter. If you drive primarily in urban areas that have high concentrations of soot in the air from industry and from diesel-powered vehicles, replace every 15,000 miles (24,000 km).
o Inspect drive belt

06 Owners Manual on Pages 357-358 has extensive details that I did not want to bother to copy here. They codes are a lot to remember. You need the book.
Thanks Chas2!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the write up. I absolutely agree with you on how the car continues to grow on you.... and I started out very satisfied!!

I have had the sun roof "squeak" on my Legend Cpe, my 98 RL, my 05 MDX and now my 06 RL. I have found a good fix is to spay a very small amount of STP silicone spray on a clean paper towel and wipe the rubber around the glass. (Open slightly for the front and part of the side and "tilt" to catch the rear part and the rest of the sides) I do this about once every couple of months or when I notice the "squeak" return (usually after driving around with the roof open)
Norm
94 NSX
05 MDX
06 RL
Old 09-27-2007, 02:12 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A good summary. i also have an 06 RL. It was recently serviced in Cleveland and I had a TL loaner. The RL is simply better. Seats, ergonomics material quality is great. My newest main complaint is the poor material choice for the steering wheel and the stitching. The new MDX also has poor leather feel and very rough stitching. One would think that the single most frequently touched instrument would have the highest quality material and assembly. (think Lexus LS ad). I don't think the wood wheel is any better. I love the wheel on the 07 TL and my 05 MDX. Perforated at 3+9. Thumb grips at 10+2, and an overall smooth stitch that doesn't feel like it will cut you if the wheel spins quickly
Old 10-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kssod
I don't think the wood wheel is any better. I love the wheel on the 07 TL and my 05 MDX. Perforated at 3+9. Thumb grips at 10+2, and an overall smooth stitch that doesn't feel like it will cut you if the wheel spins quickly
Thanks for the comments! The advantage to our wood wheel over the regular is the thumb rest at 10 and 2. That's what sold me on it initially. Once I got used to the steering wheel, I didn't notice the stitching.

As far as getting a loaner, I wish I could get an RL, but usually get TLs at my dealer. Hey, it's better than an Enterprise rent-a-car, so I won't complain.

Norm, as noted above, I'm looking for the silicone cream. I'm going to do the sunroof myself before winter sets in.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I just got a Chevy Cobalt from Enterprise because all the loaners were gone! I am spoiled. Manual mirror adujstments. Roll up windows and I had to go around to each door to lock or unlock it.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:03 AM
Advanced

Driving
SH-AWD: I note there is mild understeer that appears near the end of a steep turn, but if you keep the gas evenly applied through the turn, the SH-AWD will correct for most of that. It is clear that this car is FWD-biased, though, because of that understeer.

Have you tried dropping your rear tyre pressure by 2 psi? It will have a negligable affect on your tyre wear, but will probably surprise you in how much it affect's the cars transitional response to steering input.

Secondly, during the cornering phase, if you accelerate from just before the apex and through the turn, rather than keep the throttle constant, the SH-AWD will actually help the car rotate, inducing overteer.

Driven like this you have a car that is neutral when not on the power, and it oversteers when on the power. I find the only time I notice understeer, is in VERY tight turns [as in carparks or small round-abouts, or if you carry way too much speed into a tightish corner.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:19 AM
Senior Moderator

sadlerau, I read the TOV track report you made on your Legend. Fabulous work! I've never tracked my RL, which is probably the best place to practice using SH-AWD. I appreciate the advice. I currently run with 34-5 psi all around, so it's worth a try. I have noticed the oversteer when I really push the car, but I try not to do that often on public roadways as they are not in the best of condition around here.

Totally off topic for you, sadlerau, but have you test driven one of those Commodores that's supposed to be coming Stateside next year as a Pontiac? Is it even out yet there? People are starting to salivate over that here.

Chas2....a Cobalt? It's been a long time since I last drove an entry-level car. Reading that, I remember how spoiled I am as well. Manual door locks? Hellz no!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 AM
Advanced

Totally off topic for you, sadlerau, but have you test driven one of those Commodores that's supposed to be coming Stateside next year as a Pontiac? Is it even out yet there? People are starting to salivate over that here.
Firstly tracking a car comes naturally to me, I've been competing in club level motorsport for 18 years

You would be surprised at how competent the RL is in keeping you out of trouble if you managed to mis-behave a little bit too much.

Now to continue the off topic -

I've never been a fan of the Holden Commodore [I am a Honda Fan Boy after all]
but the HSV Clubsport R8 really does impress me. I've never driven one myself, but they seem to be very popular on the roads here in sunny Western Australia. A friend has one, which he loves.

See http://www.hsv.com.au/index_eseries.asp

To give you some idea of what this 4 door, well appointed sedan is like as a Sports Sedan, at the Barbagallo Race Track where I tracked my Legend, it was doing 74 second laps [2.42km high speed circuit]. I can get into the 71 second laps in my '97 NSX Coupe. My friend, with very little track experience was doing 69 second laps, in his standard R8! I think that is awesome.

The local magazines give the R8 a low 13 second time in the quarter mile drag, and they wax lyrical about how good it is.

Soon you will be able to judge for your self!
Old 10-04-2007, 01:57 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by sadlerau
Have you tried dropping your rear tyre pressure by 2 psi? It will have a negligable affect on your tyre wear, but will probably surprise you in how much it affect's the cars transitional response to steering input.
The RL owner's manual recommends that the rear tires be 2psi LESS than the front tires, so your advice is supported by the mfr.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by gavine
The RL owner's manual recommends that the rear tires be 2psi LESS than the front tires, so your advice is supported by the mfr.
Actually, I was saying you should try 2psi less than recommended. If you want that RWD feel. It's not for everybody.
Old 10-04-2007, 06:18 PM
White and Nerdy

Bob

Great review. Agree that the RL grows on you fast.

One question: Since you aren't too far away from PA, and winter is coming, was wondering if you use snow tires on your RL in the winter, and, if so, what do you recommend/use? I know there's a whole thread on the issue, but since your winter is similar to ours, I figure whats good for you is likely good for me!
Old 10-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sadlerau
Firstly tracking a car comes naturally to me, I've been competing in club level motorsport for 18 years

You would be surprised at how competent the RL is in keeping you out of trouble if you managed to mis-behave a little bit too much.
Maybe now's the time to learn how to do a few hot laps. I've got good enough suspension mods and tires to try it. It's good to know that the RL will take care of you (to an extent) when you flog it.

Originally Posted by Godwhacker
Bob

Great review. Agree that the RL grows on you fast.

One question: Since you aren't too far away from PA, and winter is coming, was wondering if you use snow tires on your RL in the winter, and, if so, what do you recommend/use? I know there's a whole thread on the issue, but since your winter is similar to ours, I figure whats good for you is likely good for me!
I went the entire winter with my Toyo Proxes. I absolutely had no trouble on these tires at all in light-moderate snow. I never switched to snow tires. In fact, in 17 winters living in Cleveland, I have never once used snow tires.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:05 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great review. I had my doubts about it when I first got it and my wife took the TL, but the RL
definitely grows on you!

Hope to add a-spec suspension before winter sets in and a-spec wheels next spring.
Told my wife the a spec suspension would make a really nice Christmas present!!
We'll see.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Advanced

neuronbob have you tried fiddling with your tyre pressures yet?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

No, but I plan to. This weeked I have off, and it's time to check my pressures anyway.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

No, but I plan to. This weeked I have off, and it's time to check my pressures anyway.
Press the button on the MID, Bob.

*ducking*
Old 10-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TampaRL
*ducking*
:troutslap Not fast enough, buddy!

Somehow, there's something comforting about the old analog tire pressure meter, even with the electronic equipment, though...
Old 10-16-2007, 09:52 AM
AcurAdmirer

Somehow, there's something comforting about the old analog tire pressure meter, even with the electronic equipment, though...

It's probably just a transient neo-Luddist reaction to all the high technology that surrounds you in your profession Bob. Drink plenty of fluids and get some bed rest.

Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

m'kay. But when you decide to manually verify the torque vectoring of the SHAWD let me know. I want to remind you to strap on your helmet before you harness your ass to the outer rear wheel hub with a stopwatch in one hand and counter / clicker in the other.