Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Official 2007 RL pricing directly from Honda

Straight from Honda News.....

Base RL $45780
Tech Package $49400
CMBS/PAX $53100

Add $670 for destination on all.

No official description on the difference between Base and Tech on Honda News yet. However, based on this description of the new MDX packages on Honda News, I suspect the RL is headed the same way (base is without navi).

While the MDX is generously equipped right from the start, it is also available with three option packages. Priced at $43,495, the MDX with Technology Package engages the tech-savvy buyer with a 10-speaker, 410-watt, Acura/ELS Surround(R) Premium Sound System engineered by legendary recording producer Elliot Scheiner to create an unmatched listening experience. In addition, the Technology Package also includes several visual and audio communications features such as the Acura Navigation System with Voice Recognition(TM) and rearview camera and the AcuraLink(TM) Satellite Communication System with Real Time Traffic.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:41 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$3.6k for the navi, even with the rearview camera and voice recognition, seems a bit steep. Bob, looking at the new price, you got a great deal on your 06 RL!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:19 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They're not selling enough of the RL with Navi at $42,000 right now. What makes them think they'll be able to sell them *without* Navi at $45K?

Honda's marketing of this car keeps making me scratch my head.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I definitely got a good deal. I suspect it would've been more difficult to get such with the decontented base RL for 2007. Just imagine this time next year if a base RL could be had for about the same as a TL-S! (shudders).

Acura needs to market the heck out of this car. From my standpoint, they are sitting on their duffs. This is one incredible car, but Acura needs to depend on more than word of mouth on the 'net from fans/owners like me, or osmosis in the very few ads it has.

They need to be like Toyota/Lexus--advertise everywhere, from where the ballers hang out to where the golfers and upper crust do. Those are the people who won't much care about dropping $50 large on an RL once they can see what it does.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
They're not selling enough of the RL with Navi at $42,000 right now. What makes them think they'll be able to sell them *without* Navi at $45K?

Honda's marketing of this car keeps making me scratch my head.
If the base MSRP is about $45K, then the invoice is probably $40K at most. I'm sure people will be getting the base RL for $39K or less. The RL might become the lowest-price car in its class, when it comes to the actual purchase price.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by neuronbob
I definitely got a good deal. I suspect it would've been more difficult to get such with the decontented base RL for 2007. Just imagine this time next year if a base RL could be had for about the same as a TL-S! (shudders).

Acura needs to market the heck out of this car. From my standpoint, they are sitting on their duffs. This is one incredible car, but Acura needs to depend on more than word of mouth on the 'net from fans/owners like me, or osmosis in the very few ads it has.

They need to be like Toyota/Lexus--advertise everywhere, from where the ballers hang out to where the golfers and upper crust do. Those are the people who won't much care about dropping $50 large on an RL once they can see what it does.
Acura IS doing a helluva job marketing. . . the RDX. I really don't think Acura wants to put much effort into this car. Maybe they don't think of it as a "true" Acura, since they didn't design it.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm a Honda and Acura enthusiast (Accord, Accord, Prelude, Legend, Legend, RL), and love to see them sell well. But as long as the company is viable, and can service my car for the 10 years I plan on owning it, I'll be a happy and satisfied camper.

In fact, with the RDX and MDX having SH-AWD, and similar interior controls as the RL for the NAV and stereo, we're driving the technology leader of the Acura line. Perhaps SH-AWD will become ubiquitous in the Acura lineup, much like all Subarus are AWD, and Audi has Quattro. People may come to better understand the sense of a great handling AWD luxury car thanks to Acura and the RL.

If you Google between the quotes and pick the first link returned (from the Independent) "LJK Setright: The best car in the world. By Honda motors", you'll read a great commentary about Honda and the NSX, and a reference to an upcoming 4wd luxury saloon.

Maybe the salesmen don't know what the RL is all about, but we do.

Lucky us!

Rob144
Old 09-24-2006, 10:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't wait to see the invoice prices. I agree with the rest of you, acura needs to step up there marketing.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob144
In fact, with the RDX and MDX having SH-AWD, and similar interior controls as the RL for the NAV and stereo, we're driving the technology leader of the Acura line. Perhaps SH-AWD will become ubiquitous in the Acura lineup, much like all Subarus are AWD, and Audi has Quattro. People may come to better understand the sense of a great handling AWD luxury car thanks to Acura and the RL.
Rob144
I agree with you, the RL/Legend was Honda Japan's test case, to see if they can put SH-AWD in a production vehicle. We RL drivers were the avant guarde and the other Acura drivers will benefit in the future.

As far as RL sales are concerned, I think of the RL the way I think of the RL the way I think of the new Battlestar Galactica. It is an excellent show and I hope they find more viewers, but it will never be popular among the American Idol watching mainstream. Even with more advertising, the RL might not appeal to the mainstream drivers who are status whores or who lack attention to detail, and that's okay with me.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
That is Honda's intent, to make every Acura SH-AWD. This should distance the cars from their Honda counterparts not only in luxury content, but handling and control as well.

Originally Posted by Rob144
Old 09-29-2006, 06:28 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gbriank
That is Honda's intent, to make every Acura SH-AWD. This should distance the cars from their Honda counterparts not only in luxury content, but handling and control as well.

The base price is without NAVI and NAVTRAFFIC.

http://www.hondanews.com/CatID3008?m...63168&mime=asc
Old 09-29-2006, 10:15 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
If the base MSRP is about $45K, then the invoice is probably $40K at most. I'm sure people will be getting the base RL for $39K or less. The RL might become the lowest-price car in its class, when it comes to the actual purchase price.
If this were Chevy or Ford, that pricing model would be valid. However, for an import, they *really* don't want to be selling them at invoice, because the holdback is much smaller on those cars. They want to be selling them at close to MSRP, with smaller discounts.

They're discounting them deeply now because they're not moving.