Odered 2008 "modified" RL

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 09:51 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Odered 2008 "modified" RL

In plain english I'm swapping our odyssey for an MDX (sport+entertainment) The gobs of snow we got here in WI recently again convinced me that around here AWD should be standard rather than optional! Even with snow tires our ody couldn't negotiate climbing up our driveway Thus, despite my wife's recriminations the MDX is on its way. My expirience with the new MDX is that it feels like a tall version of the RL except in very enthusiastic driving and it includes all the goodies the RL does (except keyless entry ) plus some of the ody's (electric tail lift, DVD etc). It even includes a glaring ommision in the RL, the rear butt warmers I'm sure we will miss the Ody's passenger flexibility occasionaly (when we get multiple visitors) but the RL can always accomodate straglers if necessary
Old 12-26-2007, 11:18 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
We have a 2005 MDX and I had to bring it in for some service a couple of times in the last few weeks. My loaner was the new MDX- sweet ride. It has THE most car-like ride that I've ever had with an SUV. It has many of the goodies that our RL has. The ride and sound system were 2 of the biggest improvements.
Old 12-27-2007, 08:14 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I recently moved on from my mini-van phase. After 15 years of mini-vans we traded in our Toyota Sienna in September and bought an MDX. You are correct, you will miss the flexibility of a minivan for carrying gobs of people. However, if your like me, the need for that has gotten less and less as my kids have gotten into High School and started driving themselves. Everyone's going in different directions now.

As far as the MDX being a big RL; Not quite. I don't have the Sport suspension so yours may ride better, but, my MDX doesn't ride anywhere near as good as the RL. Also, there's a lot more interior noise with the MDX. On the other hand, the fit and finish seems comparable to the RL (to me) inspite of what some people seem to assert about superior Jap assembly quality. Also, I agree, the gadgets are right there with the RL except the one huge shortcoming of no keyless start. I REALLY miss that when I get in the MDX.

All in all, I think you made the right move. I test drove a bunch. It's definitely the best xover I drove.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
...except the one huge shortcoming of no keyless start. I REALLY miss that when I get in the MDX.
It's amazing how quickly you get used to the keyless system. Just about every time I get into our '04 MDX, I end up buckling in with the key in my pocket.

LL
Old 12-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by lland
It's amazing how quickly you get used to the keyless system. Just about every time I get into our '04 MDX, I end up buckling in with the key in my pocket.

LL
You know that's a sign of old age Larry
Old 12-27-2007, 02:35 PM
Pro

I can commiserate on the fob thing, in summer I use my S2K most of the time, remmembering to use the key IS a pain!
Old 12-27-2007, 02:57 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
And the biggest problem with the MDX is that the friggin' fob + key is HUGE! It's 4-3/4 inches long, and although it folds like a switchblade to put in your pocket, the damn thing never stays closed and it looks like you're always happy to see someone.

The MDX is a nice crossover/SUV, but I absolutely hate the key and I regularly call it very ugly names. Yes, Acura needs to get rid of that abomination and install the RL's keyless system.

And I agree with Mikey - it isn't an RL. After the MDX's heavier steering, slower engine response and more truckish ride quality, the RL feels like a sports car.

Old 12-27-2007, 04:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
You know that's a sign of old age Larry
Sad...but true. Sigh...

LL
Old 12-27-2007, 04:44 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sad...but true. Sigh...

LL
You're getting abused today, huh?
Old 12-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Go Big Blue!

To be honest, I do the same thing when I get in a car besides my RL. I guess I'm getting old too
Old 12-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
And the biggest problem with the MDX is that the friggin' fob + key is HUGE! It's 4-3/4 inches long, and although it folds like a switchblade to put in your pocket, the damn thing never stays closed and it looks like you're always happy to see someone.

The MDX is a nice crossover/SUV, but I absolutely hate the key and I regularly call it very ugly names. Yes, Acura needs to get rid of that abomination and install the RL's keyless system.

And I agree with Mikey - it isn't an RL. After the MDX's heavier steering, slower engine response and more truckish ride quality, the RL feels like a sports car.

I agree.

"And I agree with Mikey - it isn't an RL. After the MDX's heavier steering, slower engine response and more truckish ride quality, the RL feels like a sports car. "

I had dropped off my 07 RL for the power steering hose replaced and I had 07 MDX as a loaner and I felt the same way.

I am so happy to have my RL back and it rides so much better. The interior of the RL has better looking and the seat is more comfortable than the MDX.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

LL
I can't stand getting into our Pilot. I have to touch the keyfob! How late 20th Century....
Old 12-28-2007, 11:48 AM
Pro

Come on, no one is comparing the Rl's dynamics to the MDX. But for an SUV the dynamics are top notch. No one can make the laws of physics disappear. The MDX is much taller, heavier, and has "truck" tires, given those limitations, its dynamics are nothing short of spectacular. I must agree that at slow speeds the steering is a litlte heavier than it should be, however, on the highway its perfect and stability at speed is excellent. That is something we don't often discuss here as a trait of the RL, the car cruises at top speed (134) just as well and maybe even better than at 85! The acceleration at slow speeds seems a litlle sluggish but we have to remember that the MDX is geared to tow 5K! Interestingly, the MDX acceleration is very different when manualy changing gears, on the RL the stick doesn't change the acceleration much. AS far as tech is concerned and in regular commuting the MDX definitely feels like the RL! It maybe actually slightly quieter and tranny shifting is even a little smoother.