OBD II Code Reader: What do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 01:20 PM
2005 MDX & 2006 RL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OBD II Code Reader: What do you use?

With the recent purchase of my '06 RL, I now have two Acuras and am thinking about picking up an OBD II code reader but there are a lot of options. Hand held readers are cheap but may not give the kind of data dump that a laptop with a OBD II interface cord could give. So, what does everyone use and what sort of good/bad usage stories do you have?

Thanks!
Old 07-09-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I would just rent one from Autozone. You pay a deposit to rent it, and once you return it, they return the deposit in full. I'm pretty sure it allows you to clear codes and all that, and I don't really need to run a code that often so it works out great for me.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:49 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I am highly interested in this thread. I asked the guy at the Acura dealership if these type of code readers worked on my car 05RL. His response was no and the dealership owner always complained about having to fork out $24,000 for the reader/programmer.

Is he not telling the truth so I keep coming to him for flash updates or clearing codes? I know I spent $105 for a flash update and they could not even tell me what the update was for.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I have a Scangauge II. http://www.scangauge.com

I read codes with it and it also clears codes. Originally, I purchased it as part of my plan to supercharge my S2000, since dropped. I have used it to clear a gas cap code on my S2000, and an ECU reset code on my CTS-V. Overall, it is a useful tool to have and it is very easy to use. It doesn't dump to a PC but for my needs, it works just fine.

For the record, I never had to use it in my RL, though I did connect it to see how close the data was to what was shown in the MID.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:59 PM
Instructor

FYI, did a quick search and it appears Federal Law mandates a universal code be used from the car mfg's so mechanics can read codes from all cars. Now I don't know if code readers can do more than read codes but Acura's machine reads, programs, and forces operation. I believe it's referred to as an HDS.

In some of the service work the use of the HDS is referred to in the sevice manual.

Even if you could get flash updates would the code readers be able to send it to the cars OBC?

Could a code reader extract an update and be use to put in another car?

Can code readers force operation?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
No, no, and no. You would need Acura's HDS to do that.

Many store-bought code readers also clear codes, but beyond that, no. There are code readers that can program. An example is a code reader by SCT into which you can code specific parameters for the transmission and engine, that is available for my CTS-V. The same thing can be done on the RL, but it hasn't been done as no one has shown enough interest in chipping the car to do it.

As an aside, on the V, the available handheld can lead to a power boost of up to 45 whp.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Instructor

Thanks Neuronbob. You have confirmed what I thought.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:56 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stevesrl
I am highly interested in this thread. I asked the guy at the Acura dealership if these type of code readers worked on my car 05RL. His response was no and the dealership owner always complained about having to fork out $24,000 for the reader/programmer.

Is he not telling the truth so I keep coming to him for flash updates or clearing codes? I know I spent $105 for a flash update and they could not even tell me what the update was for.
hi when you mention about the flash update. is it necessary? when i log into the diagnostic on acura by pressing menu cancel map, i saw the flash update option. Anyone here has done it before, any shares would be appreciated.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:59 PM
Instructor

I can't tell any difference and I was floored when they (Acura Dealership) said they don't even know what it's for.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I do not believe the flash version displayed in the NAVI diagnostics is related to the ECU. I believe that flash version refers to the flash memory of the NAVI system and XM HIP controllers. This flash can be updated via smart card or data port in the NAVI drive.

I may be incorrect, but the ECU is only managed by the HDS, which I have seen several references to in the TECH Bulletins posted in this forum. I believe Honda maintains pretty tight controls of updating the ECU flash and the resulting diagnostics. The over the counter readers may offer some generic code reading and resets but when I watched my Acura Tech hook up my RL to the HDS, there was a suite of applications and parameter driven variables. Just glancing at the GUI, it was beyond my novice understanding.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Old thread I know, but I found it by searching. Will an OBD tool read/reset codes that are unique to Acura? Almost every code has the standard codes, but proprietary equipment and options add to that standard list. Like out car has the VSA and HFL. I have a few stored codes that resulted from my Honda mechanic changing the tranny fluid and running it on a jack, which resulted in many codes. Of course, all systems are operating fine, but the codes won't leave. Will an OBDII tool display the code, at least a number, and allow me to clear it?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,248 Likes on 4,859 Posts
It should.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 PM
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by shahram72
Old thread I know, but I found it by searching. Will an OBD tool read/reset codes that are unique to Acura? Almost every code has the standard codes, but proprietary equipment and options add to that standard list. Like out car has the VSA and HFL. I have a few stored codes that resulted from my Honda mechanic changing the tranny fluid and running it on a jack, which resulted in many codes. Of course, all systems are operating fine, but the codes won't leave. Will an OBDII tool display the code, at least a number, and allow me to clear it?
A generic scanner will only read the standard code set that pertains to all vehicles. The unique Acura codes can only be read by the Honda HDS tool. Same with clearing some of the unique codes that are stored but don't trigger the check engine light, like low battery voltage or low air in your tires, the AFS system, etc. There are tons of codes like that that are stored, but you won't see them in a regular scanner and they won't trigger the CEL, so you can't clear them unless you have the Honda HDS tool.

Hope that helps...

Last edited by Megatron; 05-21-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
My friend visited me few months ago, he had this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ELM327-A...#ht_2829wt_952 for his car (Skoda 1.8T) and we connected it to my Legend also, it showed all data on my phone, you have to have that program (i think that was OBD Auto Doctor) in your phone, free "lite" version or full version that costs about 2$.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:14 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Megatron
A generic scanner will only read the standard code set that pertains to all vehicles. The unique Acura codes can only be read by the Honda HDS tool. Same with clearing some of the unique codes that are stored but don't trigger the check engine light, like low battery voltage or low air in your tires, the AFS system, etc. There are tons of codes like that that are stored, but you won't see them in a regular scanner and they won't trigger the CEL, so you can't clear them unless you have the Honda HDS tool.

Hope that helps...
That means I'll never clear them, because the dealer will want hundreds of dollars just to clear the codes. I'm sure my Honda mechanic does not have the HDS tool or he would have cleared the codes himself. I hate the dealer, I would pay them an hour labor to clear the codes for me, but they will want far more than that. They will say they have to inspect the car and it's systems to make sure all is ok with the car and in the end they will certainly hand me an estimate for anywhere between $2500-$5000 to repair the car, and it won't work right after they touch the car (even though it all functions fine now) if I choose not to do the repair. I've seen this before. I'd bet money on this exact scenario.

It's cheaper to buy a new car than to let a dealer mess with it, out of warranty.

We once had a "dealer maintained" Mercedes diesel need a new engine at only 100K miles.

Last edited by shahram72; 05-22-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Racer

Hey, I just found this. There are plenty on ebay, and not very expensive. Leave it to the Chinese, I guess... I would be happy to buy one to try out. $140 is not much, but a bricked ECU is! I need to find someone who has used these devices. Should be safe, but this car is a computer that happens to go places, not a car!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Honda-Di...#ht_2459wt_932

Woudn't it be wonderful if this thing worked? Plus, I have two Hondas, and my mechanic would be tickled to find this as well if it worked.

Last edited by shahram72; 05-22-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Pro

Hey, I just found this. There are plenty on ebay, and not very expensive. Leave it to the Chinese, I guess... I would be happy to buy one to try out. $140 is not much, but a bricked ECU is! I need to find someone who has used these devices. Should be safe, but this car is a computer that happens to go places, not a car!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Honda-Di...#ht_2459wt_932

Woudn't it be wonderful if this thing worked? Plus, I have two Hondas, and my mechanic would be tickled to find this as well if it worked.
NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!! DO NOT and I REPEAT DO NOT BUY the chinese units on E-Bay claiming to be the Honda HDS units. At least, don't buy them them if you expect them to work like the real HDS!

I know from experience! I bought one once (and a better more expensive one than you posted above) at $750. They sent me what looked like a real HDS unit with a massively hacked version of the HDS software on a burnt CD. Installed it and it seemed to work somewhat... but a lot of the different functions in HDS menus didn't work right and when you plug it into a newer car like 2008 and up, anything you did triggered all the lights on the dash to pop up and errors everywhere! Fortunately, a reset cleared it all up. Then I thought maybe it just needed the latest HDS software, but the "real" HDS software will not talk to the fake hardware module. It was just a mess! DON'T DO IT!!!!

Just curious, though.... why do you care to clear codes that you can't see and doesn't trigger the Check Engine Light anyways??
Old 05-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Racer

Well, why not? I don't like having the messages in there that say there is something wrong with my AFS, VSA and 4 wheel drive system. The AFS one is from 2008, long before I owned the car, and they work fine. The others were triggered when my Honda mechanic ran the vehicle on a lift as he changed the tranny fluid twice to flush it clean. I really should just call him, I don't know for sure he does not have one or he might know someone who does. He does have a buddy who's an Acura tech whom he consulted about the car before working on it.

Sounds pretty scary all the dash lights coming up. Could really FUBAR the system I guess. But here's the thing... These sellers have plenty of good feedback on the same units saying they worked. I know those can be faked by shadow buyers, but then there would be some negatives as well. Do Honda dealers have HDS? They might be less snooty than the Acura dealer. They lady there seemed annoyed that I bought a USED Acura, the riff raff that I am.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts
Craftsman OBDII Scan tool with Live data

this one gets the job done for me
Old 05-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Pro

Well, why not? I don't like having the messages in there that say there is something wrong with my AFS, VSA and 4 wheel drive system. The AFS one is from 2008, long before I owned the car, and they work fine. The others were triggered when my Honda mechanic ran the vehicle on a lift as he changed the tranny fluid twice to flush it clean. I really should just call him, I don't know for sure he does not have one or he might know someone who does. He does have a buddy who's an Acura tech whom he consulted about the car before working on it.

Sounds pretty scary all the dash lights coming up. Could really FUBAR the system I guess. But here's the thing... These sellers have plenty of good feedback on the same units saying they worked. I know those can be faked by shadow buyers, but then there would be some negatives as well. Do Honda dealers have HDS? They might be less snooty than the Acura dealer. They lady there seemed annoyed that I bought a USED Acura, the riff raff that I am.
I'm just warning you that's all! If you are willing to spend the money on some half working messed up hack job of a HDS system with counterfeit, non-fully functional hardware that may or MAY NOT even read the codes let alone clear them, then by all means. You asked why not... my statement right here is why not.

How did you know the messages were even there since they don't trigger a check engine light and they won't show with a non-HDS scanner?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:21 PM
Racer

I meant why not because if you could, safely, clear those codes, then why not? The codes were showing as new messages on my center nav screen after my mechanic worked on the car, same as when my 7 year old son sits in the front seat(not while driving) to listen to the surround sound with me, I get a message, but that one can be erased. I don't get it, if the code is not persistent, then why does it not disappear after a time. There's an AFS one in there from '08. I'm with you, very nervous to plug in some cheap hack job into the extremely complicated and expensive computer system of my RL. I was just trying to find someone who might have had some success. I have seen some reports of success, but not with an RL.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Pro

I meant why not because if you could, safely, clear those codes, then why not? The codes were showing as new messages on my center nav screen after my mechanic worked on the car, same as when my 7 year old son sits in the front seat(not while driving) to listen to the surround sound with me, I get a message, but that one can be erased. I don't get it, if the code is not persistent, then why does it not disappear after a time. There's an AFS one in there from '08. I'm with you, very nervous to plug in some cheap hack job into the extremely complicated and expensive computer system of my RL. I was just trying to find someone who might have had some success. I have seen some reports of success, but not with an RL.
AHHHHHH!!!! Now we get the details. ;-)
Clearing the messages stored in the engine computer does NOT clear the messages in the NAV screen! The messages in the NAV screen should be clearable by deleting them. If they are not, then it's more of a NAV issue and not the messages stored in the car computer.

I know exactly what you are talking about though... I have a friend with an 05 RL where there is always an envelope in the upper right of the NAV screen and no matter what you do, you can't get rid of all the messages so that the envelope goes away! I have gone into his car with a genuine HDS tool and have cleared every message out of the engine computer and the NAV screen still shows the messages. That's how I know they are not related. Also, I myself have seen errors stored in my 06 RL's engine computer that are not in my NAV messages.

Bottom line is that the two are not directly inter-connected.

I'm afraid I don't know how to fix and clear the NAV screen messages. Maybe someone else has an idea. I know it's NOT done from the HDS for sure though!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:16 PM
Racer

Some messages, non system critical ones have an erase button. Others, this option is not there. I don't have the envelope, only when a message first appears, then you view it and the enevelope (new message indicator) disappears.

I had another thought, there have to be some Honda tuner shops around, and with the mods they do, they have to have an HDS tool. Maybe they will charge me a small fee to clear them.

But you say the HDS does not clear them, then what does?
Old 05-23-2012, 04:44 PM
Pro

Some messages, non system critical ones have an erase button. Others, this option is not there. I don't have the envelope, only when a message first appears, then you view it and the enevelope (new message indicator) disappears.

I had another thought, there have to be some Honda tuner shops around, and with the mods they do, they have to have an HDS tool. Maybe they will charge me a small fee to clear them.

But you say the HDS does not clear them, then what does?
That's what I am saying, I don't know what clears those warning messages in the NAV screen. The HDS definitely does NOT do it. I know because I have access to one any time I want and I have cleared ALL messages from the engine computer before (including AFS ones and stupid little ones like low batt voltage, tpms low pressure, etc.) and there would still be messages in the NAV.

So unfortunately, no idea...

Last edited by Megatron; 05-23-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:29 PM
Giant Blue Car

Received 161 Likes on 125 Posts
I love your picture, by the way!!!
So, you can rent a reader at AutoZone with limited capabilities? I'd love to know what my car thinks is wrong since it's been acting strange for the last few days, and I can't afford to take it to the dealer!
Old 06-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Giant Blue Car

Received 161 Likes on 125 Posts
MaintenanceMan...I was talking about your picture....