Now I am getting close!/Caddy CTS vs RL

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:41 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dwest1023
I don't car how fast a car is, if it is not reliable. Lots of car out there are wicked fast (wrx) , but in the 50K league it better do other things well too. That is the beauty of the Rl. It does nothing great, but does everything well. For this reason, I have not found ANYTHING better. Even though the CTS seemed to be as nice or nicer than the RL, I still would not jump to buy it, knowing the History of American reliability. So far all my Jap cars have served me well and never needed any major repair. I just got rid of my 24 year old Toyota pickup and it has never seen a shop. I am sure the next gen, RL will be awesome, as the bar has been raised.
Yea, the reputation of a car maker lingers for many years. That can work both ways. I think MB is still riding a reputation from decades past. GM may be getting it's act together, that's GREAT! But for me, I'm going to need many years of consistency and reliability before I am ready to plunk down $50k on one of their cars. If they continue to do what they are doing now for another 10 years then we can safely say that they're "back".
Old 09-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Yea, the reputation of a car maker lingers for many years. That can work both ways. I think MB is still riding a reputation from decades past. GM may be getting it's act together, that's GREAT! But for me, I'm going to need many years of consistency and reliability before I am ready to plunk down $50k on one of their cars. If they continue to do what they are doing now for another 10 years then we can safely say that they're "back".

As been said many times. Rl buyers are educated, enthusiast, car buyers for the most part. I agree about the reliability of German cars, as the MB and BMW have been going down hill in that department. I took out a MB clk out of the showroom and the transmission was bad right out of the box. Not to mention the after warrantee repair cost. I own 4 06's at this time, but the 50K car is always leased. I start looking early for the lease replacement hence my weekly test drives. I hope the Americans get there act together too. It seems the sleeping Giant is finally waking
Old 09-11-2007, 11:53 AM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by briny319
Also, to get back on topic. I don't think caddy will ever be considered a luxury brand to anyone under 55. 90% of caddy drivers are old men with big hats (no offence to any old men who wear big hats), that drive 10mph below the speed limit (I got stuck behind two of them today). I can't understand why anyone would buy one. While their lineup has improved and is improving, they put out so much crap in the last 25yrs it ruined the status of the brand. What was the cavalier version... the catera? Now that's high end luxury.
The Caddilac cavalier was the Cimaron, unfortunately my dad had one, it may have been the biggest money pit GM ever created.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ssim3
you would be a fool to turn down a sts-v or cts v, those cars are wicked fast.
If I wanted a fast car I would get a SRT-4, STI, or EVO. I do not. Wicked fast doesn't make it a good car. I'd rather be wicked slow in comfort.

Speaking of which, I find myself driving much slower in my RL compared to my old TSX. I just sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
The Cimmirran (sp?) was Cadillac's rebadged Cavalier.
I knew they had some car that looked like a chevy crapalier.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:02 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you been in an sts-v you can be wicked fast w/out shaking your kidneys out. & have a very classy interior with a leather covered dash sup to th RL's. A DTS is your grandpa's caddy. & next years cts v will make most manufaurers envious.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:43 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
I have to admit, based on this thread I went over to the Caddy website and took a look at the CTS.

GM is FINALLY making interiors that can compete with the interiors of the luxury Japanese makes. That is one sharp interior.

I first noticed the improvements in the new Saturns. Can it be that the "Interiors by Playskool" school of design is finally gone at GM? What did it take them 30 years?

If the reliability proves itself over time, the CTS could be a viable alternative in the future.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:39 AM
Time to Climb

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
fyi, the cts will be offered in a number of varieties very soon: sedan, coupe, convertible, and wagon (probably only in europe). and, of course, a v model is in development
Old 09-28-2007, 02:57 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 CTS vs RL

A fully loaded CTS specs out nicely vs the RL at about 7k less. Interestingly, a loaded CTS AWD has many "luxury" features that should be standard on the RL available as factory options: rain sensing wipers, heat and cooled seats, back-up sensors. I think it is probably a little smaller, and I doubt the AWD is equal to SH-AWD, but the interior is now gorgeous (IMO) and the exterior is distinct and would never be mistaken for another GM family product, like the RL is for an Accord.
Quality....wait and see
Old 09-28-2007, 03:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
I saw a black CTS downtown while I was serving jury duty. It looked pretty nice -- in a way it reminded me of the RL in terms of having "hunkered down" styling (more blocky/chunky than the RL). The instrument cluster looked somewhat like the RL's as well.

One area where it didn't shine was in paint quality and smoothness of sheet metal. The paint did not shine like the RL's, and the sheet metal was just a bit wavy in places.

Overall, though, it was a compelling car from an American manufacturer. Nice.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
yes, the paint on my RL is top notch, very similar to my Jag. I don't know if the European and Japanese laws allow for different paint but my RL is much better than my previous Accord, MDX (05) and integras. The hand wet sanding creates a great finish.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:07 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Unlike most vehicles, I think the new CTS is one car that photographs better than it looks in person.

I pulled my RL up next to one at a local Caddy dealer, and a few things became painfully apparent:

- The CTS is still narrow and tallish-looking
- It is also chunky to the point of looking a little flabby (which apparently is the case, with a curb weight close to 4,000 lbs.)
- It has a tall beltline - sitting in my RL, I had to look up to see the bottom of the side windows
- That grille is just 'way too big and garish - it overpowers the styling of the rest of the car
- It still looks too much like the previous model

Now GM insiders quietly admit the new DI engine has design flaws that make it rough in the upper rev range. It looked promising, but it sure doesn't get my pulse racing.

(Oh, yeah - the foregoing is just my opinion. )

Old 09-28-2007, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Unlike most vehicles, I think the new CTS is one car that photographs better than it looks in person.

I pulled my RL up next to one at a local Caddy dealer, and a few things became painfully apparent:

- It is also chunky to the point of looking a little flabby (which apparently is the case, with a curb weight close to 4,000 lbs.)
- It has a tall beltline - sitting in my RL, I had to look up to see the bottom of the side windows
- That grille is just 'way too big and garish - it overpowers the styling of the rest of the car
- It still looks too much like the previous model

Now GM insiders quietly admit the new DI engine has design flaws that make it rough in the upper rev range. It looked promising, but it sure doesn't get my pulse racing.

(Oh, yeah - the foregoing is just my opinion. )

Plus - it is a Cadillac!
Old 09-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
The CTS looked pretty sharp in black with chrome highlights.

I'd be interested to see the interior in person and judge the layout and quality. It seems like GM is doing a better job with interiors and instrument panels these days (though anything would be better than the last CTS).

I rather like that it isn't try to be another car. Rather it is building on the first CTS with enough newness and differentiation to be a real improvement and a class-competitor. It isn't trying to be a Mercedes or a BMW or a Lexus, but a Cadillac on its own terms, using their new design language.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:14 PM
Go Big Blue!

Now GM insiders quietly admit the new DI engine has design flaws that make it rough in the upper rev range..
Note To Self: Avoid GM cars with Direct Injection for a few years......
Old 09-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Saw a black CTS yesterday; it was gorgeous. The paint was as deep as any I've seen at an auto show. Cadillac will sell a ton of them like the 1G. If I didn't still have bad memories of my '03 I would consider buying one in a year or two. The CTS also has some really nice wheels, something I wish my RL had.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:16 PM
Racer

I agree about the paint issues. The CTS that I saw had the tell tale "orange peel" look to it. Disappointing on a brand new car. I also agree that the CTS is tallish in profile and less sleek than it looks in pictures. I haven't gotten to actually drive one yet, but I hear good things...
Old 09-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts

Continue the discussion here...may merge threads later....

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4574
Old 09-29-2007, 09:11 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Agree with Mike_TX

With the exception of the new CTS looking too much like the previous model I completely agree with him when he states:

"Unlike most vehicles, I think the new CTS is one car that photographs better than it looks in person.

- It still looks too much like the previous model"

Granted it's a subjective call but the CTS grill looks humongous and borders on being garrish! The ride is way too tall! However, I must give credit where its due, the interior is very nice...
Old 09-29-2007, 03:05 PM
B A N N E D

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=122751
The CTS is really nice, and dyamiclly correct too, with excellent ride quality and handling to match.

Discuss.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:10 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Shotgun
- It still looks too much like the previous model".
I agree 100%
Old 10-06-2007, 01:18 PM
AcurAdmirer

How's this for reopening a dead thread?

Went to the Texas state fair the other day and the Automobile Bldg's are always our first stop. And since my wife is a diehard Caddy fan, we spent some time with the new CTS. They even had it powered up, so it was possible to actually adjust the seat position, etc.

I have to say the seating position is really good. It seems much more roomy than the first-gen CTS (which she had and I hated). In the driver's position, there is ample knee room and elbow room, and the seats seem comfy and supportive. What surprised me was the rear seat room - with the driver's seat in the position I'd drive in, I was able to get in the back seat behind it and have 3 inches of space between my knees and the back of the driver's seat. that's as good as the wife's STS, which is a bigger car.

The comments about the interior are spot on. the materials and fit-and-finish are really nice, and thatnk God, they've taken away that silly protruding, black platicky center stack. It's now pushed back into the dash and is made of much more attractive stuff. The overall interior design is reserved, but classy and modern.

I'm kinda pumped about the hard drive Nav (although I still haven't determined if you can access all functions while the car is moving ... it'll be a GM first if you can, but some people are saying you can). The Nav also has real-time weather, which I have been campaigning for for years. I love the thought of that. Also, the radio has a Tivo-like function, where you can back it up, replay stuff, or record programming if you want to. I LIKE that!

The ugly side of it was that the car they had on display had a really, really ill-fitting hood (shame on you, Cadillac - this is a display car!). The passenger side was warped up down near the headlight about 3/4 of an inch, to the point that you could see into the engine bay with the hood closed. I pressed down on the hood at that point, and it seemed to move down, but it sprang right back up when I released it. Bad form, typical GM.

One other thing I noticed right away was that the leather on the driver's side bottom seat bolster was all wrinkled and nasty-looking (tan interior). Granted, a lot of people had gotten in and out of the car, but that still only approximates a couple months of normal use ... and the leather looked like crap. Hmmm.

This is still an impressive car, at least sitting still. Haven't driven it yet, but we will soon. I'm urging the wife to trade the STS in on one of them as soon as the prices get sane. I want her to have Nav, and I want to occasionally whip that 304 hp, 6-speed tranny around.

Now ... Acura can, for once, take some lessons from the Americans. I'm more than ready to see the following in the next-gen RL:

- A hard drive-based Nav (ideally with automatic map upgrades)
- Real-time XM weather overlaid over the Nav map
- Tivo-type controls for the sound system
- A 6-spd auto trans
- 300+ hp direct-injection engine (that can actually run on regular gas without damage)

These are once again exciting times in the car world.

Old 10-06-2007, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Went to the Texas state fair the other day and the Automobile Bldg's are always our first stop. And since my wife is a diehard Caddy fan, we spent some time with the new CTS. They even had it powered up, so it was possible to actually adjust the seat position, etc.

I have to say the seating position is really good. It seems much more roomy than the first-gen CTS (which she had and I hated). In the driver's position, there is ample knee room and elbow room, and the seats seem comfy and supportive. What surprised me was the rear seat room - with the driver's seat in the position I'd drive in, I was able to get in the back seat behind it and have 3 inches of space between my knees and the back of the driver's seat. that's as good as the wife's STS, which is a bigger car.

The comments about the interior are spot on. the materials and fit-and-finish are really nice, and thatnk God, they've taken away that silly protruding, black platicky center stack. It's now pushed back into the dash and is made of much more attractive stuff. The overall interior design is reserved, but classy and modern.

I'm kinda pumped about the hard drive Nav (although I still haven't determined if you can access all functions while the car is moving ... it'll be a GM first if you can, but some people are saying you can). The Nav also has real-time weather, which I have been campaigning for for years. I love the thought of that. Also, the radio has a Tivo-like function, where you can back it up, replay stuff, or record programming if you want to. I LIKE that!

The ugly side of it was that the car they had on display had a really, really ill-fitting hood (shame on you, Cadillac - this is a display car!). The passenger side was warped up down near the headlight about 3/4 of an inch, to the point that you could see into the engine bay with the hood closed. I pressed down on the hood at that point, and it seemed to move down, but it sprang right back up when I released it. Bad form, typical GM.

One other thing I noticed right away was that the leather on the driver's side bottom seat bolster was all wrinkled and nasty-looking (tan interior). Granted, a lot of people had gotten in and out of the car, but that still only approximates a couple months of normal use ... and the leather looked like crap. Hmmm.

This is still an impressive car, at least sitting still. Haven't driven it yet, but we will soon. I'm urging the wife to trade the STS in on one of them as soon as the prices get sane. I want her to have Nav, and I want to occasionally whip that 304 hp, 6-speed tranny around.

Now ... Acura can, for once, take some lessons from the Americans. I'm more than ready to see the following in the next-gen RL:

- A 6-spd auto trans
- 300+ hp direct-injection engine (that can actually run on regular gas without damage)

Acura had a hard drive based Nav before going to the current DVD-based system. The next step would likely be flash memory based - less chance of failure than an HDD.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I agree, the HD-based nav system would be a step back for Acura. As I said today in another thread, now that SD and SDHC cards have as much storage space as a dual-layer DVD (8 GB), the next logical step would be a flash drive system. One could see a system in which we could just replace the SD card every year for upgrades.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
I agree, the HD-based nav system would be a step back for Acura. As I said today in another thread, now that SD and SDHC cards have as much storage space as a dual-layer DVD (8 GB), the next logical step would be a flash drive system. One could see a system in which we could just replace the SD card every year for upgrades.
The JDM LEGENDS do have a card slot in the dash panel where the side mirror adjustments are located. I did not understand completely what it does as it offers voice queues (in Japanaese of course). It was all Greek to me.

My understanding is that it offers more detailed information to the NAVI in localized / urban areas. Messages about approaching tolls, passkeys for parking garages, garage parking available / full, and even some 3D graphics import into the NAVI based on users personal and localized settings. It is my understanding it also allows personalized settings including media, to 'travel'with the driver / user from the car and integrate with other deivces (cell phones, media devices & PCs). They do not have the smark keys the US models have, so this card slot offers a medium for personalize car / driver settings, pertinent NAVI interfaces and media content in liew of te smart key (or not-so-smart key) we have.

The Caddy may have nice 'new' features, but they have had 3+years to mimic and leapfrog the RL, which has not been "Advance(d)" significantly since it's introduction.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:25 PM
AcurAdmirer

I get the impression the newer HDD systems are the "coming thing" ... Infiniti I guess had the first one in the new '07 G, and now Caddy is following. Maybe the side benefit is the storage for music, videos, etc.

I see what you're saying about flash memory being perhaps more stable, though. But I'd like to get updates through the ether rather than by buying a new card each year. I mean, come on ... if they made updates automatic for everyone instead of selling DVD's to maybe 10-15% of owners each year, the unit price would be low enough it could be priced right into the system. If nothing else, make it automatic for 3 years, then charge after that. Kind of an XM-type subscription system, maybe.

I just want the latest map info all the time, not once every few years, and the technology is there to do it, whether it uses a HDD or solid-state memory.

Old 10-06-2007, 11:34 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Lightbulb

Chrysler is using 20G Hard Drives for Navi, Music (including burning CDs) and Pictures (critical for driving). I think the Sebring, Nitro and Wrangler are the current models with the 'MyGig'.

I would pefer obtaining Navi downloads online and tansferred to the car with a flash drive / thumb drive / memory card. Such a device interface would also allow for personal portable music not just for the car, but your laptop, etc. It would be nice to also have an online interfce to store personalized carsettings (via Ownerlink?) tha can be synched with the car (my XM presets and personalized car settings). That would be a snap to transfer to the car should you lose them (dead battery), linking new remotes and simply updating personalized info.

Heck, with PDA / Smart phones it could better integrate / synch address books. If I wanted to get whacky, transfer emails to the NAVI and have them read to you via text to speach. I already check all my voicemails sitting in traffic on the ride home.

I would expect this in the next gen technology from Acura leapfrogging the Caddy to again play catch up 3+ years later.
Old 10-07-2007, 09:32 AM
AcurAdmirer

Just confirmed (by reading the manual!) that the new Caddy Nav DOES grey out destination functions ... not only when the car is moving, but IT HAS TO BE IN PARK!!!

This is for touchscreen entry of things like addresses, POI's, etc. The car has to be stopped and put in PARK! Holy smokes - that's adding injury to insult!

Now, the new CTS does have VR, and it does accept entries via voice command, so it may still be usable. I was highly suspicious when I first heard it could be programmed while moving. After all, this is GM.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Go Big Blue!

Just confirmed (by reading the manual!) that the new Caddy Nav DOES grey out destination functions ... not only when the car is moving, but IT HAS TO BE IN PARK!!!

This is for touchscreen entry of things like addresses, POI's, etc. The car has to be stopped and put in PARK! Holy smokes - that's adding injury to insult!

Now, the new CTS does have VR, and it does accept entries via voice command, so it may still be usable. I was highly suspicious when I first heard it could be programmed while moving. After all, this is GM.

Those type of things are deal breakers for me. I want convenience. Now, if the VR was as good as the Acura then it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I hardly ever use the dial anymore for anything. Even entering destinations is easier and faster by VR.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:34 AM
AcurAdmirer

Those type of things are deal breakers for me. I want convenience. Now, if the VR was as good as the Acura then it wouldn't be that big of a deal. I hardly ever use the dial anymore for anything. Even entering destinations is easier and faster by VR.
Interesting you say that. I was a real touch-screen fan for years, but I use the RL's (and the MDX's) VR for virtually everything now, too. The RL's dial interface is the best on the market, but I seldom need it anymore.

The people on the Caddy forums are saying the CTS's VR is hugely better than past versions, but I have no idea how it stacks up against our system. And if it limits displayed results like the Infiniti system (shows only 4 or 5 nearest POI's, etc.), it's a POS.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:15 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I took an '08 CTS on a test drive on Friday. First of all it competes with the TL (no matter what Caddy says about competing with 5-Series BMWs and the that class of car. I personally liked the TL-S that I drove a week ago more than the CTS. Don't get me wrong the CTS is a big step forward for American cars in general and a big improvement from the first generation CTS, but it still felt somewhat cheap to me. When I lifed the hood, the trim on the front edge of it was so flimsy that I felt it move in my hand, also the map pockets in the front doors have a trim piece that moved also, the door panels felt hard, not plastickly, but hard just the same. Those "thin" seat they advertise look lopsided and don't come with leather as standard, they took a page from the Germans and made leatherette standard. Furthermore, my 4 year old son said "Daddy I like the Acura Advance more." He's a big car enthusiast as much as a 4 year old can be and he loved the TL-S we test drove. I drove the 3.6L CTS with 263 horsepower, but it felt considerably slower than the TL-S (both were automatics). Caddy wanted $40K for that car without navi, I could've gotten the TL-S for $34K with everything. The Caddy dealer had a pre-owned TL on the lot and the salesmen kept hiding the keys to it from each other and kept getting excited about showing it to customers and driving off the lot in it (the salesperson has to drive the cars off the lot to the designated test-drive route). Anyway, I was impressed, but the longer I rode in it, the more I realized that not much has changed over at Cadillac, but they have the right idea and are headed in the right direction. I own a 2005 TL 6-speed, does anyone else see the Acuraness of the the CTS's interior?
Old 10-07-2007, 08:18 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
I would pefer obtaining Navi downloads online and tansferred to the car with a flash drive / thumb drive / memory card. Such a device interface would also allow for personal portable music not just for the car, but your laptop, etc. It would be nice to also have an online interfce to store personalized carsettings (via Ownerlink?) tha can be synched with the car (my XM presets and personalized car settings). That would be a snap to transfer to the car should you lose them (dead battery), linking new remotes and simply updating personalized info. .
You would have to make sure that the operating system is "disconnected" from the rest of the car as I could see people transferring a virus to their car.

Weren't there issues (I think either with Toyota or Mercedes) where cars were being infected via Bluetooth.

I see a new market, automotive virus software.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:44 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Talking

Originally Posted by GoHawks
You would have to make sure that the operating system is "disconnected" from the rest of the car as I could see people transferring a virus to their car.

Weren't there issues (I think either with Toyota or Mercedes) where cars were being infected via Bluetooth.

I see a new market, automotive virus software.
Let's partner on this and get this baby to market!
Old 10-08-2007, 07:10 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by blakura
I took an '08 CTS on a test drive on Friday. First of all it competes with the TL (no matter what Caddy says about competing with 5-Series BMWs and the that class of car. I personally liked the TL-S that I drove a week ago more than the CTS. Don't get me wrong the CTS is a big step forward for American cars in general and a big improvement from the first generation CTS, but it still felt somewhat cheap to me. When I lifed the hood, the trim on the front edge of it was so flimsy that I felt it move in my hand, also the map pockets in the front doors have a trim piece that moved also, the door panels felt hard, not plastickly, but hard just the same. Those "thin" seat they advertise look lopsided and don't come with leather as standard, they took a page from the Germans and made leatherette standard. Furthermore, my 4 year old son said "Daddy I like the Acura Advance more." He's a big car enthusiast as much as a 4 year old can be and he loved the TL-S we test drove. I drove the 3.6L CTS with 263 horsepower, but it felt considerably slower than the TL-S (both were automatics). Caddy wanted $40K for that car without navi, I could've gotten the TL-S for $34K with everything. The Caddy dealer had a pre-owned TL on the lot and the salesmen kept hiding the keys to it from each other and kept getting excited about showing it to customers and driving off the lot in it (the salesperson has to drive the cars off the lot to the designated test-drive route). Anyway, I was impressed, but the longer I rode in it, the more I realized that not much has changed over at Cadillac, but they have the right idea and are headed in the right direction. I own a 2005 TL 6-speed, does anyone else see the Acuraness of the the CTS's interior?
Interesting review and comparison. Without having done the same comparison, I'd be inclined to believe your assessment is accurate. I've been suspicious of these glowing reviews. Sounds like they've made improvements but maybe not enough yet.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Interesting review and comparison. Without having done the same comparison, I'd be inclined to believe your assessment is accurate. I've been suspicious of these glowing reviews. Sounds like they've made improvements but maybe not enough yet.
Not really. The one I dove had 330hp and awd. A whole different animal. It IS and felt faster than a TL. I had a 05TL and I have driven the new S. You can Nit pick ANY car. The CTS I drove was very nice, enough to make me consider it, if the next gen RL does not wow.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:09 AM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by blakura
There is absolutely no "acuraness" in the interior. All the panels are aligned properly, lloll.(At least, in the one I was in)

The front of the CTS looks like a Sentra, to me.

The fact that the TL-S is FWD only wrote it off the list immediately, are you Kidding me? FWD ONLY in a performance sedan? Next!

The ride is also Much better than the ride on the super stiff TL-S.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:06 AM
Instructor

- A 6-spd auto trans

Would our Acura Nav system be able to show real time weather if the service was available. Does the caddy have real time weather because of the hardware installed? Or is it a service that is offered to Cads and not to Acura's. If XM offered real time weather to our RL's could our system show it and if not why. Maybe down the road?
Old 10-11-2007, 09:43 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by gdevine
Would our Acura Nav system be able to show real time weather if the service was available. Does the caddy have real time weather because of the hardware installed? Or is it a service that is offered to Cads and not to Acura's. If XM offered real time weather to our RL's could our system show it and if not why. Maybe down the road?
First, let me say I don't know for sure. But I think it's both.

First, the software in the head unit would have to be able to process and display the weather data overlay. But the unit would also have to have the right hardware to be able to receive and process the data required for the software.

I'm guessing XM is marketing this new tech to all the mfr's, and it's probably only a matter of time before it's available in the RL.

Old 10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Instructor

I've always wanted to know what a firmware update is as opposed to a software update. Its too bad that these units are not expandable for the future. I would subscribe to real time weather in a heartbeat. So it sounds like there is probably no possible way of Acura offering that service on our vehicles w/o a change in the hardware?
Old 10-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by gdevine
I've always wanted to know what a firmware update is as opposed to a software update.
Some of the logic is driven by instructions that are loaded directly onto a circuit board in a Programmable memory chip. The instructions stay loaded and available when the device (car) is powered down - thus the term "firm" ware. It's usually where the base instructions are stored in order to get things going , i.e. boot up processes. It's also where you tend to load critical device code and communication code for specific components.

The stuff commonly referred to as software is usually the bulk of the logic code and is loaded into some volatile RAM memory from a storage device. In our case it's all the code coming off the CD.

Not sure if you were really interested in knowing all that or were just thinking out loud, but that's a fairly good explanation.

Quick Reply: Now I am getting close!/Caddy CTS vs RL