New RL Owner Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 09:36 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New RL Owner Questions

I've serached to see if any of my questions have already been answered and didn't come across anything. Just picked up my new RL on Saturday and I love it. My previous car was a 3 Series BMW and my only adjustments have been getting used to a larger car (my arm won't reach the door arm rest when holding the wheel). Here are my questions:

- Is there a way for the multifunction display to remember the last item displayed (e.g. MPG) when the car was turned off? I need to click through to my favorite item (e.g. MPG) everytime I turn on the car since the multifunction is blank.
- Does anyone know what (if any) roads will display XM traffic in NJ? The Parkway, Turnpike, and part of Route 1 always display RED even when traffic is flowing. Thoughts?
- Does anyone know how to prevent the day/night change for the screen? Even if I set both night and day to the same colors, the intensity of the screen deminished at night. I understand why but would like it bright all the time without having to manually change it.

Thanks and this car is great!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:03 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jmmsumru
- Does anyone know how to prevent the day/night change for the screen? Even if I set both night and day to the same colors, the intensity of the screen deminished at night. I understand why but would like it bright all the time without having to manually change it.
I know with the TSX, there is a day & night selection in the setup screen. I'm not familiar with the changing of the colors you are refering to, but if you select day, it will stay bright.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:38 AM
Instructor

- Is there a way for the multifunction display to remember the last item displayed (e.g. MPG) when the car was turned off? I need to click through to my favorite item (e.g. MPG) everytime I turn on the car since the multifunction is blank.

Don't think so. That info could definitely be found in the manual.

- Does anyone know what (if any) roads will display XM traffic in NJ? The Parkway, Turnpike, and part of Route 1 always display RED even when traffic is flowing. Thoughts?

That sounds like incorrect traffic data coming from XM. Nav traffic is far from perfect from what I can see.

I don't think you can. When the headlights come on, the cluster, nav screen and LEDs all change to a lower intensity.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:27 PM
Racer

Regarding traffic inaccuracies, be sure to complain to the providers of the information. It's not a free service so they should know about your dissatisfaction. I'm still a bit unsure if I'm going to get an RL but I sure hope the traffic part works well in NY/NJ as that's where I'll move to next year :-)
Old 10-04-2005, 12:47 PM
Instructor

Hey whats up I just traded up my TL for an RL too. For your first question I don't know. For your second question it takes about 5-10 mins I notice to get the xm traffic to display correctly. It has to update. I live in noerthern Virginia about 20 mins outside of DC where xm is based out of. Also if you turn the gray rotary dial to zoom in and out on the navi the xm traffic only works in certain range of zoom. I don't know which roads are monitered in your area. In mine it is only the major ones such as Route 66 and 495/95 395 etc. For your last ques on the right side of the instrument panel if you press the plus button once at night it will turn the navi back to day mode. I have read the whole instruction booklet twice since there is allot to now and found that when you press the setup button for the navigation. You can adjust the screen for day or night mode and also the contrast, brightness as well as color and a bunch of other thing. You can even use the driver setup in the center info display and adjust the sencitivity of the day noight mode so that the navi will only dim when it has no light whatsoever. Ithink theres like five settings for that. Its all in the Regular rl manual and not the nave manual. Hope I was of some help. This car ROCKS.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Just got a new RL. Awesome car. Look at the lines next to the main highway line. On the NAV, highways are RED, while the lines parallel to the road/highway show traffic speed/congestion (Blue, Yellow, Red). In central Jersey, its not providing much information. Once you get north of Exit 11 on the Turnpike, the updates seem better. I am going to call them this weekend to complain about the updates.

Another note mentioned on the forum, just say "Display Traffic List" and they will show you all the traffic accidents/construction in your area. This works, but as mentioned, it takes about 5 minutes to update.

Awesome car.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:04 PM
KHC
Intermediate

I've had my car for about 6 weeks now, still with some questions...

1. Why don't titles show up on my audio CD's when played. This occurs with the original purchased CD and DVD audio. I can understand if the MP3 burned CD's don't show titles, but these are the commercially purchased ones.

2. Has anyone found a DVD audio burning program (besides the one listed on another thread in this forum...name escapes me, but its some $600 program). There must be others out there able to do the same for a lot less.

3. How long is AcuraCare good for (Acura's roadside service)? Does my RL turn into a pumpkin after a year?

4. I understand the 2006 RL will have a new and improved graphic interface for NavTraffic. Will we be able to obtain this as 2005 owners? Seems like a software upgrade rather than a hardware upgrade. I do find it hard to discern at times when the road is "red" and the traffic flow is "red"...its a lot more clear with the black background...now the accuracy problem is what they should really be improving...I find it only about 50% accurate at best in the South Calif area.

5. What is the range for the qualifying VIN #'s for the Service Bullitin updates?

6. Lastly, how are 20 something's able to afford this car? (some ages noted in the forum) I'm in my early 50's and this is my 1st luxury car...the car I owned in my 20's was a used Chevy Vega (paid ~$900) that broke down on me 7 times in one year...the autoclub threatened to drop me.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Hey static808 that is why I love this site. I did not know about the display traffic feature on the nav. Thanks. As far as the other questions from other people I am not sure about everything. I have learned allot about this car besides the manual from this site. Everyone on this site is very wise and nice. As far as ques. # 6 about affording the car, I really can't afford it I just stoped paying my rent so I could get the rl J/K. I am an account manager for a Telecom Recruiting firm. My wife makes more money than me and helped me get it. I guess I will do allot of laundry,cooking and kissing up. LOL