New on ACURAZINE

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 09:43 PM
True Aural Bliss=Gallardo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post New on ACURAZINE

Hi everyone,

After months and months of observation, I've decided to join the forum. I'm personally interested in a future 07 black RL. After a full month looking at the competition namely a GS430, a 530i and a M35. I was sold on the infiniti after looking at all the specs but a test drive quickly reminded me of its sheer size. No stranger to Acura, my daily drive is a black TL, very satisfied but has to return it since lease is over. I think the RL will be it but before signing any cheque I want to be aware of any problems the car has ever had. Also i think you will help me upgrade it's engine output since 290-300 seemed low to me but EVERYTHING else seems to be perfect. Technology,style,comfort everything is good.
Hoping to receive some feedback from you guys, and hoping that I'm making the right choice buying an Acura RL since it's ahead of the curve .

P.S RON JON WHEELS are F***** hot!!!
Old 02-26-2007, 10:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome to AZ and thanks for delurking.

If you swap your TL for an RL, you will be in good company as there are many of us who have done the same, including myself.

Most issues raised here have to do with the 2005s. There are scattered, minimal issues with the 2006s and I can't think of any major issues with the 2007s so far. The engine output is more than adequate, especially if you keep your foot on the accelerator and push the rpms past 3500, just like in the TL.

The RL is definitely a good choice, though ultimately you have to decide which car will be best for you. All the choices you list are excellent cars.
Old 02-27-2007, 09:21 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Yep, you need an RL to decompress after all those M5's and 911 Turbos.

Seriously, it's an excellent car and one I think you'll enjoy.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Search on the screen name Touge, and you will find references to intake and 5zigen exhaust, plus a custom underdrive (10%) pulley, etc.

There are more suspension choices trickling into the market place, most notably a Tein coil over, in addition to the Acura A-Spec which can be found at various dealers over the internet.

HOWEVER, if you are thinking suspension, do not think ACC, CMBS and PAX options. Apparently there is an incompatibility in the rear suspension in ACC, CMBS and PAX optioned cars, such as I have , with the A-Spec, and one would think that same incompatibility would stretch to other similar aftermarket suspension components.

I cannot really find out what is incompatible. Acura just says on its info sheets PAX equipped cars, implying the PAX is the problem, but others say that it might be related to the CMBS, which is only available with PAX.

Love the car, and I do love the ACC, CMBS, and I am really pretty satisfied with the PAX tires--I just worry about the future when it comes time to replace the PAX tires, and my only choice is the Pilot MXM4 and not something more aggressive, and the fact that I have apparently lost the choice to replace suspension components.
Old 02-27-2007, 05:37 PM

Arrow That's it I'm sold!!

Hey Guys,

First of all, I need to thank the few users that replied to my message. Always feels great to be welcomed. So let me tell you a little story. Each time I want to buy a new car, I always have headaches,mostly because I'm debating with my self either it's a good choice or not. So this evening, driving back from work in the M5 i drove past the Acura dealership,as i always do since it's only ten minutes away from my house. And I couldn't help but remember this forum and the RL then, the light turned red so I had to stop. Looking in my rear view mirror I told myself: YOU KNOW you want that RL. Then I asked my self what was wrong with it and a good reason I wouldn't buy one?( because its not a bimmer?? give me a break!!) Then the answer came straight to me: Nothing. Saluted by several horns since I had forgotten the light had turned green, did a quick U-Turn, floored all my 500 horses to the Acura dealership and there I was.
So it is what it is. I'm picking it up on friday. Here are a few details:

-07' Nighthawk Black Pearl RL (CMBX-PAX)
Tech Package
A-Spec Package
Adaptive Cruise control and everything else...
Onstar
Backup Camera

It took 85 canadian grands away from my pocket since I decided to buy it and not to lease. It was a little more than I expected I would pay but this includes dealer installed 35% tint all around and 20% rear.

I sincerely think I made the right choice and I will certainly not regret it. Now my next goal is to convince my wife to sell that Escalade and get a new MDX(call me crazy but i have something for that new styling)!!
Old 02-27-2007, 05:39 PM

First mod will be those new ron jon wheels. I'm already drooling just looking at them. Can anyone tell me where I can get those?
Old 02-27-2007, 05:55 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
nice. good choice. i'm sure you won't regret it.

Originally Posted by dailycommuta
I sincerely think I made the right choice and I will certainly not regret it. Now my next goal is to convince my wife to sell that Escalade and get a new MDX(call me crazy but i have something for that new styling)!!
i don't think you're crazy. i'd take the MDX over the escalade in a heartbeat.
Old 02-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!. I'm sure you will be very happy with the RL. There are alot of mods available for it if you decide you need more power or better handling .
Old 02-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
First mod will be those new ron jon wheels. I'm already drooling just looking at them. Can anyone tell me where I can get those?
For those RonJon wheels, go to www.ronjjonwheels.com or e-mail him at info@ronjonsportdesign.com

By the way, Welcome. And like others have already said, you're gonna love the RL
Old 02-27-2007, 08:02 PM
Safety Car

Hey Guys,
...I'm picking it up on friday. Here are a few details:

Tech Package
A-Spec Package
Onstar
Backup Camera...
I am probably going to sound like a broken record but...in Canada, is the backup camera and onstar part of the standard equipment package or options?

If you got the A-Spec package, please give me more details. What parts did you get?
Body kit?
Suspension?
Wheels?
The reason I ask is because I am told that PAX and A-Spec suspension are incompatible in the US.
Same goes for A-Spec wheels and PAX system.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-27-2007, 10:51 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Question

bn=
Tech Package
A-Spec Package
Onstar
Backup Camera
Congrats!

Is ONSTAR on 2007 models in Canada? I thought it was dropped form 2007 models? Maybe just another weird packaging shuffle by market. I know I would prefer cooled seets (offered in Canada) over heated seats here in Florida!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Congrats!

Is ONSTAR on 2007 models in Canada? I thought it was dropped form 2007 models? Maybe just another weird packaging shuffle by market. I know I would prefer cooled seets (offered in Canada) over heated seats here in Florida!
First off let me say thats prety backwards how acura does that put the heat in the hot state and the cold in the cold country (although doent canada have both.) I think acura should put the AC seats in the america RLs. My dads car has that and its REALLY nice.

As far as you new car congrats on it and I hope you enjoy it. Also you are not crazy for trying to convice your wife into a new MDX that is one nice car and I dont blame you at all.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Chas2
I am probably going to sound like a broken record but...in Canada, is the backup camera and onstar part of the standard equipment package or options?

If you got the A-Spec package, please give me more details. What parts did you get?
Body kit?
Suspension?
Wheels?
The reason I ask is because I am told that PAX and A-Spec suspension are incompatible in the US.

Thanks in advance

Hehe this is because live in greater Toronto towards Fort Erie. The border is just five minutes away. I work in the United States but I live in Canada.

And as for the A-spec package I received the Body kit,wheels and suspension.

Notice: My car was bought and registered in America.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:39 PM

Congrats!

Everyone seems to be a little confused. I forgot mentioning that I work in Buffalo on the other side of the border. I wrote Toronto as the place where I lived since it's not so far from Fort Erie, a little city close to the Falls. As it is, all our cars are registered in Buffalo.I just needed to go through little paper work to get them on this other side although I've already got warned and pulled over for having a US license plate and being a canadian citizen. Best of both worlds
Old 02-28-2007, 02:42 PM

Body kit?
Suspension?
Wheels?

Thanks in advance

Sorry I didn't answer fully to your question,as for the A-spec package I received only the body kit and the wheels so the suspension came stock. And if you were wondering if the backup and onstar were stock or options it's just like on your side of the border. Or is it...my dealer charged me
Old 02-28-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Treblig
For those RonJon wheels, go to www.ronjjonwheels.com or e-mail him at info@ronjonsportdesign.com

By the way, Welcome. And like others have already said, you're gonna love the RL

Thanks for the input !! These are very nice rims. BTW very nice color combo you got my first choice was the white pearl color but wifey had to get involved...
Old 02-28-2007, 05:40 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Am I incorrect about ONSTAR? I thought it as dropped from the 2007 models.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Moderator

You are correct, there is no more OnStar in American RLs in 2007. Not sure about the Canadian models.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:55 PM
10th Gear

Canadians never got OnStar in the RL ...
Old 02-28-2007, 09:35 PM

Then I have no idea...may be it is a mid-2006,07 model but the pamphlet I received sure says there is OnStar as an option in this car.... May be I paid for an option that doesn't even exist on this car!! I gotta call him tomorrow morning and make sure about it.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:11 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Then I have no idea...may be it is a mid-2006,07 model but the pamphlet I received sure says there is OnStar as an option in this car.... May be I paid for an option that doesn't even exist on this car!! I gotta call him tomorrow morning and make sure about it.
Do you have the "shark fin" antenna on the roof? '07 models don't have it due to the deletion of OnStar.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Safety Car

Sorry I didn't answer fully to your question,as for the A-spec package I received only the body kit and the wheels so the suspension came stock. And if you were wondering if the backup and onstar were stock or options it's just like on your side of the border. Or is it...my dealer charged me
Thank you very much for your answers, and congrats on the great car! You made a great choice, and I am sure you will be very happy with the car. Any pictures? A black A-Spec should look great gracing the pages here.

I have a similar, but 2006 model RL, NBP/Ebony Tech Package with ACC, CMBS and PAX, and love the car! It drives well and is very comfortable. My wife seems to be wanting to use it more and more! Hmmm....

Sorry to keep badgering you, but if you don't mind answering me, I would appreciate it. If you want to PM, me, that is OK too.

As everyone is tired of hearing, and am interested in the A-Spec parts. Not getting the A-Spec suspension fitted is consistent with the story I get from Acura dealers in the US. They say that they are unable to fit the A-Spec suspension on Tech Pack equipped with the PAX system, though it is not clear if PAX or CMBS is the real culprit. If you also got the A-Spec wheels, then they took off the PAX system wheels and tires? Out of curiosity, what kind of tires came on the A-Spec wheels? Are you running 245/45-VR18s of some kind?

If you did get the A-Spec wheels, did they also give you a spare?

With regard to the back up cam, if it is a 2007, it is standard equipment, but dealer installed equipment in the 2006.

You can tell the difference by the actual location of the backup camera. In the 07, like other backup camera installations in the RDX and the MDX, the back up camera is slightly off centerline, to the right as you are facing the trunk, if I remember. There is a small rectangular, rubberized "micro lever" trunk release that is oriented on the centerline of the car.

In the 06, the camera is dealer installed on the centerline, using the space where the micro lever trunk release was, and they put a new rubberized trunk release button to the right of the centerline.

I know I am a litte OCD on the RL, so bear with me! Thanks in advance.
Old 03-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Senior Moderator

dailycommuta, you definitely have an American 2006 RL if you've got OnStar. Don't worry, it's an awesome car!

6800 miles and haven't looked back.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:29 PM

Thank you very much for your answers, and congrats on the great car! You made a great choice, and I am sure you will be very happy with the car. Any pictures? A black A-Spec should look great gracing the pages here.

I have a similar, but 2006 model RL, NBP/Ebony Tech Package with ACC, CMBS and PAX, and love the car! It drives well and is very comfortable. My wife seems to be wanting to use it more and more! Hmmm....

Sorry to keep badgering you, but if you don't mind answering me, I would appreciate it. If you want to PM, me, that is OK too.

As everyone is tired of hearing, and am interested in the A-Spec parts. Not getting the A-Spec suspension fitted is consistent with the story I get from Acura dealers in the US. They say that they are unable to fit the A-Spec suspension on Tech Pack equipped with the PAX system, though it is not clear if PAX or CMBS is the real culprit. If you also got the A-Spec wheels, then they took off the PAX system wheels and tires? Out of curiosity, what kind of tires came on the A-Spec wheels? Are you running 245/45-VR18s of some kind?

If you did get the A-Spec wheels, did they also give you a spare?

With regard to the back up cam, if it is a 2007, it is standard equipment, but dealer installed equipment in the 2006.

You can tell the difference by the actual location of the backup camera. In the 07, like other backup camera installations in the RDX and the MDX, the back up camera is slightly off centerline, to the right as you are facing the trunk, if I remember. There is a small rectangular, rubberized "micro lever" trunk release that is oriented on the centerline of the car.

In the 06, the camera is dealer installed on the centerline, using the space where the micro lever trunk release was, and they put a new rubberized trunk release button to the right of the centerline.

I know I am a litte OCD on the RL, so bear with me! Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone,

First off,let me start by answering chas2;don't worry about asking questions I'm always ready to answer so as for the A-spec package you were talking about I'not sure or positive about exactly what tires I received but I recall him mentionning they were 18's! Yeah as neurobob said my backup camera is situated in the centerline so it is a 06 model.I verified about the shark fin antenna and it was present which weirdly reminds me of the bmw; call me a car freak but just this little detail makes me think it's even more sexier. So the RL IS a 06 not to mention I lost my temper on the phone while he was trying to explain to me it was a 06 model but a TECHNICAL mistake it said 07 on my receipt. I trust neurobob and all other members as you say there will be no defaults with the 06. Only good thing or bad...is that I received heated seats which is great for canadian winters but annoying during Buffalo summers. No pictures yet as the car gets done on Friday
Old 03-01-2007, 03:44 PM

and sorry again but no,no spare tire I just received a normal tire. I noticed the ride on the A-Spec wheels was slighty less comfortable than the one with the stock tires. But I am ready to sacrifice a little ride comfort for the aesthethics those A-spec wheels give me. As soon as the RL arrives home, I need the RJ Legend wheels . Can I order already ?
Old 03-01-2007, 04:08 PM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How in the world would a dealer make a mistake selling a 06 and calling it a 07? What about all the paperpwork that came with the car and what about the papers that you had to sign when buying the car. The whole situation just doesn't make sense to me. What about the manufacturer spec sheet that came with the car. I mean, buying a new car is not like buying a pair of shoes.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by UW RL
How in the world would a dealer make a mistake selling a 06 and calling it a 07? What about all the paperpwork that came with the car and what about the papers that you had to sign when buying the car. The whole situation just doesn't make sense to me. What about the manufacturer spec sheet that came with the car. I mean, buying a new car is not like buying a pair of shoes.
It's a bit of my fault because I didn't finish receiving all my paperwork. The problem is that this new kid that works in the dealership sold me the 06 which was in the lot and needed some work to tint it and etc..but when it came to financing and all that stuff,he marked an other similar car with the same color I hear. And it's not fully sold yet, I only gave my deposit.Everything is correct now and they hardly apologized since I was doing the I'm a good customer speech since I got my TL from them.Trust me it is possible to sell the wrong car,guess you can never pay attention enough.The good side is that I didn't end up being scammed.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by UW RL
But I have to say thanks to all the members of this board because without them I would of had probably taken and paid for the wrong pair of wheels. I cannot imagine how mad I could have been. PLEASE someone tell me if RJ Legend is already available?
Old 03-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Senior Moderator

PLEASE someone tell me if RJ Legend is already available?
They are available for preorder in 18 and 19 inch sizes. CLICK HERE to get the phone number. Just call and preorder, it's easy as that.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:58 PM

thanks for your input neurobob! If I ever go with the 19's how much will that affect the ride. I'm not expecting anything close to a Lincoln Continental but I don't wanna feel all the little imperfections on the road. Another question I had ...sorry for asking so much..is what is the best radar on the market today?Being a heavy footed driver as they say I need one very soon because last week's ticket convinced me. I hear about Valentine One but I notice that most of you here have the Escort 8500?
Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 AM
The Doctor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well it's a good thing that you joined Acurazine, as a lot of us were able to help you out, trying to identify which year your RL was.

It's a bit of my fault because I didn't finish receiving all my paperwork. The problem is that this new kid that works in the dealership sold me the 06 which was in the lot and needed some work to tint it and etc..but when it came to financing and all that stuff,he marked an other similar car with the same color I hear. And it's not fully sold yet, I only gave my deposit.Everything is correct now and they hardly apologized since I was doing the I'm a good customer speech since I got my TL from them.Trust me it is possible to sell the wrong car,guess you can never pay attention enough.The good side is that I didn't end up being scammed.
Old 03-02-2007, 10:25 PM

Hi to all again,

First of all thanks to all members that helped me go through all this. THe TL will be returned on monday so in 2 days and I will receive the RL on friday of next week. Since I have owned only one Acura which was a daily driver I really never got the time to look into any aftermarket products they offered. I read about Comptech which apparently does wonders in Acura and Honda products. I noticed people talking about CAI or CIA?? and not too sure of what it is. To sum this up, I think my RL is/will be perfect,only things I need from you guys since you have more experience than I do here,is to suggest any aftermarket parts to improve: Performance/acceleration( I drive 3 people to work everyday so add about 220 kgs to the initial weight of the car)but nothing brutal to ruin the smoothness,suspension and a GOOD radar detector..and since I haven't heard the Acura under heavy acceleration do you think I should consider an aftermarket exhaust system(I'm a big fun of engine vocals) but of course nothing too dramatic. I will probably have more questions later on. Thanks in Advance

My regards
Old 03-03-2007, 04:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
dailycommuta, cai = cold air intake , this item definitely improves performance. Also I would suggest a pulley for your car. These two items should give you another 25hp. 5zigen makes a nice exhaust for the RL. Not loud at all, there is a sound clip in the gallery section. Pm or email me if you need more info on these parts.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:03 AM
Senior Moderator

Comptech which apparently does wonders in Acura and Honda products.
Comptech is closing, perhaps, forever. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
However, they don't make any RL parts. Since the RL is made in Japan, there are aftermarket parts available to do what you suggest.

The RL has a nice deep exhaust voice during acceleration already, it sounds like the TL's big, musclebound brother. Will be adding a 5zigen exhaust shortly to add some power and maybe a little more to that nice bosso. Go listen to that audio clip, it's in the Photo gallery. Mugen (#1 Japanese Honda tuner) also offers an aftermarket exhaust but I don't know anyone on the board with it yet.

There's also the intake Touge mentioned. It's an AEM intake--"modded" from the TL. It's exactly the same as the TL's other than the bracket used to install it. I am also considering this but want to add one bit at a time, then dyno, to provide another data point for objective evidence of gains. Stay tuned.... Touge already mentioned the pulley, so I won't go into detail.

Suspension--A-Spec suspension from Acura is probably your best bet. It drops the car between 1/2-1 inch (mine is closer to an inch) and improves handling even in everyday driving without sacrificing the ride significantly. Mugen and H&R also make springs for the RL.

Last, radar detectors. Most people here are running Valentine 1 or Escort 8500. I own a Valentine 1 and it's really true what they say in the ads--once you use the arrows, you're hooked!

A little wordy but I hope it helped.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Comptech is closing, perhaps, forever. aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!
However, they don't make any RL parts. Since the RL is made in Japan, there are aftermarket parts available to do what you suggest.

The RL has a nice deep exhaust voice during acceleration already, it sounds like the TL's big, musclebound brother. Will be adding a 5zigen exhaust shortly to add some power and maybe a little more to that nice bosso. Go listen to that audio clip, it's in the Photo gallery. Mugen (#1 Japanese Honda tuner) also offers an aftermarket exhaust but I don't know anyone on the board with it yet.

There's also the intake Touge mentioned. It's an AEM intake--"modded" from the TL. It's exactly the same as the TL's other than the bracket used to install it. I am also considering this but want to add one bit at a time, then dyno, to provide another data point for objective evidence of gains. Stay tuned.... Touge already mentioned the pulley, so I won't go into detail.

Suspension--A-Spec suspension from Acura is probably your best bet. It drops the car between 1/2-1 inch (mine is closer to an inch) and improves handling even in everyday driving without sacrificing the ride significantly. Mugen and H&R also make springs for the RL.

Last, radar detectors. Most people here are running Valentine 1 or Escort 8500. I own a Valentine 1 and it's really true what they say in the ads--once you use the arrows, you're hooked!

A little wordy but I hope it helped.

Thanks