New 06 RL Pics + Opinion / Other Wash DC Owners? / XM Traffic Prob on I-66

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2006, 12:34 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 06 RL Pics + Opinion / Other Wash DC Owners? / XM Traffic Prob on I-66

I just bought an '06 RL from a dealer in Fairfax VA (actually had the best experience i've ever had, in case anyone is local; email me and i'll give you the sales rep's info).

Here's my initial impression:

Pics (some of the "artsy fartsy" variety showing off the RL's lines) at http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...3&x=0&y=7mxhcf (no need to log in, just click on the photo).

I paid $48,500 for the RL w/o tech pkg with the following: Backup camera, extended warranty to 7 yrs / 100k miles, 5 year dent & ding protection, rubber trunk mat, floormats. That is excluding taxes (DC taxes SUCK! 7%)

I actually walked into the Acura dealership planning on driving the MDX. The RL hadn't even crossed my mind (Acura marketing, are you listening? You've got to step it up!)

What caught my eye was an Automobile Magazine review they had posted in the dealership. Since i'm a technology guy and I run a real estate company, needless to say I was pretty interested in the navigation, and the fact that it was no longer Front wheel drive only definitely helped. (Note: this SH-AWD system truly is "super". None of the FWD torque steer issues common in FWD vehicles).

I had just sold my Infiniti QX-56, hence the stop in the acura dealership to drive the MDX (which incidentally, I did NOT like). But I sat in the RL and was instantly hooked.

The XM traffic feature looks to be absolutely stunning. I'm only on my 2nd day of ownership but i'm already impressed. Although I have to say - for any other Washington DC RL owners, the part of I-66 inside the beltway doesn't seem to have any XM traffic info on it - have you experienced the same problem? As you would well know, that is one of the roads where it's needed most!!!

I also got the backup camera option, which I had on my Infiniti. This is one of those options that you think is just a gadget, but after having used it, I've found it's REALLY hard to go to a car without it. Especially handy for parallel parking and in parking garages. Totally worth the price (and you can probably negotiate it into the price).

One thing I really don't like is that the "today's destinations" list is limited to 5 entries. As a Realtor, this is especially useful because you can put all the homes in that a client wants to see, and the system will automatically calculate the most efficient route between them.

The V-6 is incredibly powerful (feels like a V-8); I hadn't even been considering a V-6. The other car I was seriously looking at was the BMW 7 series. The BMW is faster and does handle better, but for the $30k price difference, you can own the Acura RL and get a used M3 to boot!!!

The nav system is amazing. Heads and shoulders above any other I've ever seen. the big knob dial allows me to zoom in and out easily, and I can say "show entire route" and the system repositions the map to show me where it's taking me. As one magazine reviewer said, Acura's nav system should be government mandated as standard on all cars.

I paired my Treo 650 phone up with the car and it's worked great so far. And the nav system integrates well into the phone. I was going to a store and I wasn't sure if it was open, so I looked it up on the nav system and then called it to verify its hours, all within about 20 seconds. Very thrilling to be able to execute on that knowledge at your fingertips.

I am not especially smitten with the RL's exterior lines, although the more I look at it, the more I like it. It's not at all displeasing, it's just not especially engaging to me. Maybe it's like the old saying about the girlfriend vs. the wife - you want to party with a girlfriend, but you'd want a responsible woman as a wife. I'm beginning to suspect that the RL is a girlfriend in a wife's clothing! And some of those pics I took (see link above) really do show off some awesome lines.

Just my $.02. Hopefully someone at Acura will read this and whomever was the brainchild of this car will get a big raise. I have owned many vehicles (Porsche Boxster, BMW 528, Infiniti QX-56, Range Rover, and many others) and this was the absolute most enjoyable dealership experience I've ever had (much better than Infiniti) and the car has impressed me more than any other so far.

If anyone else lives in the DC area, I'd love to hear from you. It'd be good to trade notes with someone local.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:57 AM
Racer

I would like to know the dealer you brought from. Please email me. Thanks.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:26 AM
Pro

Good luck with the car. I love the color!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Congrats on the '06 RL! I bought my '05 last March from Radley Acura in Bailey's Crossroads, not far from where I live. Here are some random thoughts:

1) NavTraffic will show traffic/construction incidents on I-66 inside the Beltway, but it won't show traffic flow. In other words, if there are not accidents or construction, then you won't see anything. Just assume 66 traffic sucks at all times and you'll be fine.

2) The same goes for Route 50, by the way.

3) If you like using the nav system with the big knob, you'll love using the voice commands! The RL's systems makes others look like Atari.

4) I also have a Treo 650! It works well with the car.

5) The RL is an excellent Realtor's car, in my opinion, although I am not a Realtor.

6) The more I look at the RL, the more I like the looks. It reminds me of my previous car, the 2001 CL Type S.

7) If you want a quick overview of accidents, etc., push the button and say "display traffic incidents." I love that!

Good luck and enjoy the car!
Old 01-02-2006, 12:34 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the new car!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:56 PM
Cruisin'

Contact info for Acura RL Blue

Hey AcuraRL Blue, I tried emailing you but the system is saying your mailbox is full. (Doh!).

So here's the guy's information:

I bought the car from a salesperson named Andrew.

He was VERY knowlegable about the car.

His contact info is:

703.968.6600 work
703.618.0925 cell

(He didn't mind me calling him on his cell at all).

Good luck!!!

DROdio
Old 01-02-2006, 09:03 PM
Cruisin'

Some further questions about functionality

Hey jhr3uva90 - any idea why I-66 doesn't show info inside the beltway?

Seems like an eggregious error for an otherwise great system.

Here are some things I haven't been able to figure out - anyone have ideas?

1) My Infiniti had the ability to calculate a Nav route by "fastest time". I am seriously dumbfounded not to find this option on the Acura system. There is only "easy route" (what the heck does that mean anyway), max freeways, direct route, etc. But after playing around with it, I find that different options provide the shortest calculated time depending on the route, which means you'd have to sit there and try each option when inputting each route (no way Jose). Anyone find a better way for this?

2) Can anyone tell me how quickly XM traffic messages appear after an accident? And are they always fresh? I.e., after an accident clears, how long does it take for them to be removed? Just wondering how trustworthy they are.

3) One REALLY cool feature would be to be able to send an email message to the car. I.e., if you had a "to-do" list, you could email it to your car and pull it up via the AcuraLink system. I'm assuming this is not possible, but let me know if anyone has found out a way to do this. Obviously it's technically possible since Acura sends messages to the car.

Thanks!

DROdio
Old 01-02-2006, 09:06 PM
Racer

DROdio: Thanks for the info.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:10 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by DROdio
Hey jhr3uva90 - any idea why I-66 doesn't show info inside the beltway?

Seems like an eggregious error for an otherwise great system.

Here are some things I haven't been able to figure out - anyone have ideas?

1) My Infiniti had the ability to calculate a Nav route by "fastest time". I am seriously dumbfounded not to find this option on the Acura system. There is only "easy route" (what the heck does that mean anyway), max freeways, direct route, etc. But after playing around with it, I find that different options provide the shortest calculated time depending on the route, which means you'd have to sit there and try each option when inputting each route (no way Jose). Anyone find a better way for this?

2) Can anyone tell me how quickly XM traffic messages appear after an accident? And are they always fresh? I.e., after an accident clears, how long does it take for them to be removed? Just wondering how trustworthy they are.

3) One REALLY cool feature would be to be able to send an email message to the car. I.e., if you had a "to-do" list, you could email it to your car and pull it up via the AcuraLink system. I'm assuming this is not possible, but let me know if anyone has found out a way to do this. Obviously it's technically possible since Acura sends messages to the car.

Thanks!

DROdio
1. Direct route is supposed to be the quickest.

2. It is not reliable, yet. Sometimes it is quick, sometimes it takes a long time to update.

3. It has not been done by anybody here...and I don't think anybody has even thought about it until you mentioned it.
Old 01-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
My guess is that the NavTraffic system doesn't show traffic speed information inside the Beltway because it isn't available.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:11 AM
Cruisin'

Emailing the car

Emailing the car would be one of those useful things that you wouldn't know how you lived without, i'm sure of it.

For example, I wanted to get the car's windows tinted, so i looked up three or four places that do window tinting. but then I had to leave, and i was out all day, so i was unable to call them. Well, if I could email my car, I could've emailed the list of places w/ phone #'s to the car, and then pulled it up on the car's display and called them while I was out.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Very true. It would be very helpful for some people. Syncing the calander in the car to a PDA would be another thing people would like.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:50 PM
Advanced

"any idea why I-66 doesn't show info inside the beltway?"

XM NavTraffic just extended the traffic display on Rt.66 all the way out to Rt.28. Seems in doing this they created problems with the system. NavTraffic now displays about half the time for Rt.66. . . I'd recommend calling XM to complain. . They need to fix this. I look NavTraffic daily to decide on taking Rt.66 or the Dulles Toll Rd.