Old 07-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Need a simple Explanation Please

I keep reading about PAX...what is PAX?
Old 07-06-2010, 08:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
It's "run-flat tires". Early RL's came with it as part of a deeeluxe option package. The PAX system is heavy in use, and expensive to replace tires for, ergo the general dislike for it here on the forum.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Please search. There are plenty of threads on it, and dePAXing. Also, look on Wikipedia at the Michelin PAX System. I wrote much of it, and it is still up to date from my standpoint.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Pro

I spoke with the dealer that serviced this car since new. I found out that the warranty just ran out the end of May, that doesn't do me any good at this point. If I don't want to use the PAX tires and rims, they will have to be replaced. That to me as the consumer is an unnecessary expense that we should not have to bear. Does this mean that as long as I have the PAX rims, that I am required to use PAX tires i.e. Michelin? Or can I use another tire if I choose? How do I know if I have PAX tires? I do have the tire pressure monitoring system.

Last edited by alfadoctor; 07-06-2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by alfadoctor
I spoke with the dealer that serviced this car since new. I found out that the warranty just ran out the end of May, that doesn't do me any good at this point. If I don't want to use the PAX tires and rims, they will have to be replaced. That to me as the consumer is an unnecessary expense that we should not have to bear. Does this mean that as long as I have the PAX rims, that I am required to use PAX tires i.e. Michelin? Or can I use another tire if I choose? How do I know if I have PAX tires? I do have the tire pressure monitoring system.
Assuming you have 06 Tech Package (not to be confused with the 07+ tech package trim), you do have the Michelin PAX system installed on your car, unless you have been previously de-PAXed.

Remember that the PAX tire is part of a system that includes a unique asymmetrical wheel and a polymer inner support ring. The wheel is unique and designed to only fit with PAX tires, currently, and for the foreseeable future, only made by Michelin. So unless you change your PAX system wheels and tires out for standard wheels and tires, you must use Michelin tires. For the RL specifically, you have two choices, the Pilot HX MXM4 all season tire or the X-Ice winter tire.

How do you know whether you have PAX tires? Look at the sidewall of your tires, and look for the PAX logo.

Also look for the tire size. If it is 245-680R460A, you have PAX

TPMS in a feature on the RL regardless of the type of tire you have, and in fact, is now mandated by federal safety regulations. Say thank you to Firestone and Ford Explorer roll overs for that mandatory federal safety system feature (which I happen to like, and use every day to check my inflation, especially since I am playing with my air pressure now that I have de PAXed and gone to 245/40-19's).
Old 07-06-2010, 02:22 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you didn't want to "bear" that expense you could have bought a different car.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:23 AM
Pro

Looks like I got the lucky ring...the tires I have on the car are 245/50/17 Michelin Pilots. I didn't see anything that looks like PAX.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:05 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks like I got the lucky ring...the tires I have on the car are 245/50/17 Michelin Pilots. I didn't see anything that looks like PAX.

In that case you should be in good shape....you can get whatever tire you want in that size, although the choices are somewhat limited.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Safety Car

So just out curiosity do you have ACC or CMBS?

If not, another reason not to worry, because only those cars came with PAX and have the MID software that counts down the miles you can drive with no air.

You can tell if you have own an original 06 Tech Package (i.e. ACC/CMBS/PAX) if there is a CMBS off button to the left side of the tach, above the VSA off button.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 AM
Pro

No CMBS button. These tires on the RL are close to the same size as my Alfa Romeo 164Q +1 Zender rims and I will probably choose to go with a Kumho for a softer ride with better handling. Albeit though, the Michelins come with a high mileage and all weather consumer satisfaction rating. Now it is just time to rotate and rebalance. I did notice some wear on the outside of the fronts, which I find interesting to note.