my thoughts/comments on the RL

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:29 AM
go like hell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
my thoughts/comments on the RL

I myself work for Honda of America. I've worked for them for about a year at the Anna Engine plant. My father has worked at the same plant for about 25 years. I own 3 Hondas(94 Accord,2000 Odysee(sp), and 91 CRX si which is built to autocross)

Even though the RL is built in Japan solely I like to buy or drive stuff my father or myself have built or help build.
I got one word to describe the RL: DAMMMMMMMMMMMN.
They had one back in the "yard" about 2-3 nights ago. this is where we keep loaded and unloaded trailers with parts. It was before work and my father works 1st shift and I work 2nd. He got the keys to it. He said "I could drive it as long as I didn't wreck it or tear it up too bad." I put it through it's paces. I've driven Lexus GS,Benz E and C classes, tons of Accords, tons of Camrys, tons of Altimas(both 4 cylinders and V-6's), BMW 3 and 5 series. We took a corner in my Accord usually I take at 35-40 I feel my car start to say "hey let up a little"
we had it at 50 mph and it was complaining a bit.

The thing I like about the RL is I'm 6 ft 4 and about 250-260 lbs. It's a little bigger than an Accord so it's a nice fit for me
second thing I like about it is AWD. BMW 530xi is just a "normal" AWD system it doesn't transfer power according to the wheels needing grip.
the last thing I like about it is a nice blend between performance if some ricer wants to "play" but yet it's not over the top like a WRX sti or an Evo.

so congrats guy on picking the RL and wish you luck with you car(s)
Old 02-24-2006, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
Welcome to the AcuraZine forums!

It is great to hear from someone who actually works for Honda. And you, sir have truly made my day. After a week of RL criticism, it is heartening to hear some praise for the car, especially from somone who knows Hondas.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Water-S
I got one word to describe the RL: DAMMMMMMMMMMMN.
Thats the same word I muttered when I bought mine...I have owned BMWs', Benzs', Infinitis', Lexus' and you just cannot find a better car below $50K.

I paid $43,500 for my 06.

Z
Old 02-24-2006, 08:36 PM
go like hell

Originally Posted by CHIEFZUSAF
Thats the same word I muttered when I bought mine...I have owned BMWs', Benzs', Infinitis', Lexus' and you just cannot find a better car below $50K.

I paid $43,500 for my 06.

Z
as far as "bang for your buck" you can't touch the RL. everything in the E-class,5 class,Lexus GS is about 10 grand over the RL.

My next car will be an RL. for 2 reasons #1. it's powered by Honda(the engine will last forever)#2. All wheel drive.
Now I live in Ohio so winters can be slick. Plus I drive 20-30k a year so I drive in some nasty conditions. I have Front Wheel drive on all my Hondas. I've driven in the winter with Rear wheel drive (my dad's old Dodge Ram no 4x4) that sucked SOOOOO bad. yeah drifting fun but it sucks when you're trying to get somewhere or do something and you're in the ditch.

now I got a question for you guys. on highway what kind of mileage do you guys do. and in the city what kind of mileage do you guys do?

I got a 94 Accord.(I'm a hard driver) I get 25 mpg combined highway and city.
Old 02-25-2006, 01:36 AM
Quit stealing my avatar!!

I do mostly city driving and get between 16 and 19 mpg. I think the last time I took it out on a road trip I was getting around 24.

There are a lot of good things about the RL, but fuel economy is not one of them. On a positive note, however, the RL is an ULEV (ULTRA-Low Emission Vehicle), so even though it burns a lot of fuel, it burns it clean.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:48 AM
'05 Acura RL - CGP/Ebony

now I got a question for you guys. on highway what kind of mileage do you guys do. and in the city what kind of mileage do you guys do?

My daily drive to/from work is a combination of highway/city miles -- about 20 miles each way (probably 60%highway). With about 4500 miles on it, my RL is getting approximately 20-22 now. It's been cold, so that's a factor. When I take it on 300+ mile trips (three so far), it gets about 27-29. As it breaks in and gets warmer, I expect it may increase a bit but not much.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:20 AM
Instructor

I'm a fairly soft driver when it comes to acceleration and cruise at around 70mph on the highway. My commute to work is about 25 miles each way with mostly highway miles...my first couple of tanks gave me around 24 mpg.

Hope you get an RL soon...I love everything about mine.

Cheers, Z
Old 02-25-2006, 12:39 PM
Instructor

So whats the cheapest you paid for your '06 RL's?
Old 02-27-2006, 12:57 PM
go like hell

Originally Posted by AltecBX
So whats the cheapest you paid for your '06 RL's?
I didn't buy an RL but whatever model of Acura or Honda you look up list and take 20% off that's what I pay. without tax,title or tags.
The "regular RL" no tech package
you're looking at 40 grand. probably with tags,taxes and the works 43 grand
with tech package
43 grand without tax and all that crap. with tax and crap probably 46 grand.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:03 PM
go like hell

oh comment about above that's bare models that's no options.
however I get options at cost to dealer.
most Honda/Acura dealers get pissed when I tell them I'm a Honda employee because it just blows their chances of making money.
I can't buy like 15 new cars at a discount and resell them to anyone. I "aloud" 1 car purchase with the purchase program ever 6 months.
However I've had a friend trade cars every year and he sometimes trades "even up" because what he as an employee pays vs resale of Honda/Acura.
so he gets best of both worlds. New car and he doesn't have to pay the difference.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:38 PM
Instructor

So how can I get away to paying cost at dealer?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:13 AM
go like hell

Originally Posted by AltecBX
So how can I get away to paying cost at dealer?
for options or the actual car.

Only way I could hook you up with a 06 (or wait about 6 months 07) is if you come around Ohio and I put it in my dad's name for 6 months after that it's your's

now options we'd run it through under dad.(dad been at Honda for 25 years so he gets cars and options damn cheap)

I've talk to my buddy's dad who works at a Honda dealership(they are also putting in a Acura dealership) he said himself working at the dealership can't get cars as cheap as my dad.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Instructor

but how would that work if the car was in your dad's name for 6 months and someone else was driving it?
Old 03-01-2006, 12:03 PM
go like hell

Originally Posted by atomarchio
but how would that work if the car was in your dad's name for 6 months and someone else was driving it?
It works fine because my aunt did it with her 97 Accord. you can take insurance out on it and everything. it's just for 6 months. bottom line to it:
It's to allow the employees get best deal. and NOT BE LIKE GM and allow everyone to get Employee discount.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:15 PM
office monkey

employee discounts bug me. They get paid to do their job so why should they get discounts for stuff they were paid to build/sell which in turn adds (slightly) higher costs to the end consumer? It is especially bad in the car industry since plant workers don't get paid in peanuts. We have some clients who work at auto plants and they make some pretty good cash for attaching some nuts and bolts and having their union reps whine when the company may need to save some cash since employee salaries are out of whack for what they do.

BTW I am overpaid in my job as are 95% of all people out there in North America who work full-time.
Old 03-01-2006, 12:20 PM
Instructor

WaterS,

Since I live in OH, when I can stop down there and buy a brand new RL at dealer cost?
Old 03-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Instructor

for options or the actual car.

Only way I could hook you up with a 06 (or wait about 6 months 07) is if you come around Ohio and I put it in my dad's name for 6 months after that it's your's

now options we'd run it through under dad.(dad been at Honda for 25 years so he gets cars and options damn cheap)

I've talk to my buddy's dad who works at a Honda dealership(they are also putting in a Acura dealership) he said himself working at the dealership can't get cars as cheap as my dad.
Ok, mail me personally and I'll take a trip one of these weekend to pick up a RL. Let me know the price and option for the car through email.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:01 PM
go like hell

Originally Posted by atomarchio
WaterS,

Since I live in OH, when I can stop down there and buy a brand new RL at dealer cost?
what you'd have to do is probably wait till fall and I can get you a 07. I just got a 05 Goldwing(leftover) under this program. and I can only do it every 6 months. so late 06 dad should be able to get whatever. anything from a Civic to an RL. that includes bikes too.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:14 PM
go like hell

I'm also saving for a RL or atleast a TL under this program. so probably 2-3 years I'll atleast 15-20 grand down on a RL with tech package.so the payments are crazy each month.
what they do they still send it to "certain dealers"(I know Dayton Acura,and I think 2 Columbus Acura dealers are employee pickup dealers) there's more i think but you can't have the car sent to any dealer in America or Canada.
My sister lives in Oregon they were gonna try to do that. They came back to Ohio got the CR-V at Immke Honda(Columbus) and took it back with them. then she sold it and got a Element (sorry but I don't like the looks of the Element).
same goes with Honda cars. you gotta pick it up at Honda employee pickup dealers.

They used to (BACK in the day)Like when they got my 94 Accord new you could pick it up at the Honda Service Center(which is for employees to get their cars serviced and where you get options put on about at cost). you'd pick up the car there. However about in 1995 or 1996(can't remember exactly when sorry) a local dealer ALLAN NOTT Toyota/Honda(Lima,Ohio) threw a fit about that sued Honda. basically long story short: He got his way and have to pick up your new Honda or Acura car or SUV at dealer.