Musty stink from AC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Musty stink from AC?

When I first start up the RL, there is a mustry stink that comes from the AC. Seems to be affected by humidity. I replaced the filter (which was quite dirty), but to no affect.

I'm taking it in for the "B" service soon, and I want this checked out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by JMikeF
Seems to be affected by humidity.
Sounds like mold growing somewhere in the ducts.

LL
Old 02-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
lysol spray. thats the solution. you spray it into where the air enters the system from where the wipers sit.
Old 02-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Pro

This can happen to all AC units in all cars.
Old 02-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Take the dirty underwear out of the vent!
The musty smell is usually a condenser issue and it can be precipitated by changes in the weather. If it persists the condenser will probably neeed to be replaced.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Racer

Every car I've ever owned has given a musty smell when I first turn it on. Ironically, I haven't noticed it in my RL but I bought it on October 2006 so I haven't used the A/C when it was hot and humid out (New Jersey)
Old 02-05-2007, 08:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sotiri
lysol spray. thats the solution. you spray it into where the air enters the system from where the wipers sit.
The dealer has given me a can of spray w/ anti-bacteria - I've tried one application and it seems to work. I've also heard that it can be a condenser issue, but I'm wondering if that would be covered under warranty.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
The absolute correct way to resolve this is to spray the correct stuff where your AC filters reside. SHAME on your dealership for fooking you over......
Here is the commerical product they use:
www.wurthusa.com
Wurth Air conditioning & Heating System Treatment! For use on Commerical, Home, and Portable Systems. Excellent for use on Car, Truck, RV, Boat, Plane and other motor vehicle systems...

I condition my system every 6 months. What actually happens is the same if you were to leave your glass of ice water untouched in a warm climate. Moister builds up on the "out side" of your glass. Meldow starts and that exactly whats going on in your AC system in your car ! NOT healthy at all. Again SHAME on your service folks for sending YOU home to do THEIR JOB !

Tell them to GET with the program!
Old 02-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Fabvsix
The absolute correct way to resolve this is to spray the correct stuff where your AC filters reside. SHAME on your dealership for fooking you over......
Here is the commerical product they use:
www.wurthusa.com
Wurth Air conditioning & Heating System Treatment! For use on Commerical, Home, and Portable Systems. Excellent for use on Car, Truck, RV, Boat, Plane and other motor vehicle systems...

I condition my system every 6 months. What actually happens is the same if you were to leave your glass of ice water untouched in a warm climate. Moister builds up on the "out side" of your glass. Meldow starts and that exactly whats going on in your AC system in your car ! NOT healthy at all. Again SHAME on your service folks for sending YOU home to do THEIR JOB !

Tell them to GET with the program!
When you change the cabin air filter (it's an easy DIY - it takes 5 minutes and the only cost is the $37 OEM filter vs. $100 and up at a dealer) it's a good idea to spray some Lysol or the spray the dealer gave you through the air intake vents near the wipers and also the filter compartment itself (when you have the filter removed).
Old 02-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dwboston
When you change the cabin air filter (it's an easy DIY - it takes 5 minutes and the only cost is the $37 OEM filter vs. $100 and up at a dealer) it's a good idea to spray some Lysol or the spray the dealer gave you through the air intake vents near the wipers and also the filter compartment itself (when you have the filter removed).
Yes, this is exactly what I've done. Replacing the filter was easy as you state.
Old 02-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Well reverse engineer that job and spray the correct stuff in that area. Spraying in the vents is a WASTE OF TIME ! Ever heard of "half ass job" ???????
No pun .....