MMC trunk lid spoiler DIY install

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 12:34 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
MMC trunk lid spoiler DIY install

Hey guys, just a quick and easy DIY for installing a trunk lid spoiler on a MMC RL. This particular one was installed on my '09. I have seen the DIY's for the 05-08's, but this goes on a little different. Hope it helps someone. BTW, if someone wants or needs this template I will save it and mail it to you for free. If you find a spoiler maybe that doesn't come with one.
I got this spoiler off of E-bay for an amazing price and had a friend paint it as it was blue not black. But, still came in $300+ cheaper than buying the proper color and having a dealer install it. Luckily this came with the template which made install ultra-easy. Just hated to drill into the trunk.

The template fits snugly over the emblem. Center it, tape it in place. Tape the other part of the template in place as well. Center it vertically as close as you can get it.. (but doesn't have to be perfect as the second template will line it up vertically.)
Name:  IMG_03001_zpsrayapa42.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  145.5 KB

Line up Center Punch Template "A" with Slit "A". This gives you your vertical line. This will fit the exact profile of your trunk lid. I used a tack to mark this. Poking though the paper into the paint.
Name:  IMG_03011_zps2001v4zv.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  107.4 KB

The same with Center Punch "B" and slit "B" you can see here how vertically it doesnt line up. Mark it (with the tack, or whatever you're using) where the line and the slit (yes there is an actual slit in that horizontal template. lol) intersect.
Name:  IMG_03021_zps2dcmlxot.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  123.9 KB

These snaps slide into that slot. there is a surprising amount of play in these. So, if you drilled slightly off you would still be good.
Name:  IMG_03041_zpsww7rikgi.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  154.0 KB
After drilling my pilot holes (where your tack marks are) I was able to check it to see if I was lined up properly before drilling the bigger ones... They lined up perfectly, so I continued to drill the large holes. This was a 3/8' bit. The aluminum is soft and doesn't require a lot of force. Take your time and let the bit do the work. No need to force it.
Name:  IMG_03081_zpsqwrc2onk.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  129.6 KB
One thing.. in hindsight. I should have masked the reverse light chrome piece. Some metal filings got in there. I just used some air to blow them out.
Name:  IMG_03111_zpspnplhf1y.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  158.4 KB
Peel the advesive tape top and sides. bottom piece is just foam to keep it from rattling maybe? LOL
Name:  IMG_03131_zpsr4jhqrgh.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  173.2 KB
Wipe down with some isopropyl alcohol or better. I used an actual wax/silicone remover.
Name:  IMG_03141_zpspo8wg8ud.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  147.0 KB
Snap it firmly into place.. et voila!!
Name:  IMG_03151_zpsorkzrgwa.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  301.1 KB

Last edited by Fuchfaccio; 07-13-2015 at 12:38 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Fuchfaccio:
JDMCRX (07-13-2015), oo7spy (07-13-2015), titomang (07-13-2015), woodek (07-14-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 01:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
That looks really good!
The following users liked this post:
Fuchfaccio (07-19-2015)
Old 07-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Racer

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts
...looks good. I've been noticing that accessory parts for MMC RL can be had for a steal such as the spoilers, mud guards, and back up sensors.
Fuchfaccio (07-19-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Jeff

Received 815 Likes on 726 Posts
looks good buddy
Fuchfaccio (07-19-2015)
Old 07-18-2015, 03:35 PM
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 73 Posts
looks good. I like that spoiler better than the 05-08 Aspec spoiler
Fuchfaccio (07-19-2015)
Old 08-01-2015, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks great,

I was looking at one of your other posts. You said you have the issue with Check CMBS, ACC, Airbags, Transmission, and AFS. Did you ever get the problem fixed, if so, how? I am having the exact same issue, I am looking to find a solution.

Any help?
Old 08-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Hello RLX3G... I did have these issues. However, I only got the CMBS, ACC and Airbag messages, and strangely, my driver's side mirror would not stay set. I never did get the Transmission and AFS messages.
Messages came up after owning the car for almost a year. After researching this forum, I was convinced it had to be the battery.
I replaced the battery and the messages continued the very same day.
Thinking the new battery might just need a good charge, I stopped running my lights "on all the time" which I normally did.
I started running the headlights in Auto (off daytime (DRL)/on at night)and haven't received a message since, even when lights run at night... But, I have read on here as well, it may just need a day or 2 to reset.
I will try running them "all the time" again soon and report back.

I would suggest running with your headlights off/auto... and/or invest in a good quality battery.
Hope this helps.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fuchfaccio
Hello RLX3G... I did have these issues. However, I only got the CMBS, ACC and Airbag messages, and strangely, my driver's side mirror would not stay set. I never did get the Transmission and AFS messages.
Messages came up after owning the car for almost a year. After researching this forum, I was convinced it had to be the battery.
I replaced the battery and the messages continued the very same day.
Thinking the new battery might just need a good charge, I stopped running my lights "on all the time" which I normally did.
I started running the headlights in Auto (off daytime (DRL)/on at night)and haven't received a message since, even when lights run at night... But, I have read on here as well, it may just need a day or 2 to reset.
I will try running them "all the time" again soon and report back.

I would suggest running with your headlights off/auto... and/or invest in a good quality battery.
Hope this helps.
Very interesting. I think I have found the fix.
https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...mation-789213/

This is the TSB link for 2G, follow the instructions and then open TSB 09-025TSB 09-025: (2009 RL) Steering Angle Sensor Causes False SAS, VSA, CMBS, or AFS Messages. When you read the TSB, I found that I am having the false AFS, CMBS messeges depicted. But I am also have ACC messages, I feel as since ACC and CMBS are essentially the same control unit and parts, that where their are CMBS messages, naturally I think ACC messages might appear.

The TSB also talks about VSA errors, mind you, we have never had VSA messages, at least to my knowledge. However we have had Airbag messages, and I have had a Transmission message. I think that both the Airbags and Transmission are part of the VSA system, this is why we both may be having these VSA 'related messages". At this point, I think that the SAS or steering angle sensor depicted in the TSB must be the cause. I have already replaced the battery; no help. When I get some time, in the next few couple of weeks, I am going to have the TSB done at the dealer, but it will probably take some time for it to be done. I'm not sure if you have already has this TSB done? But I will report back with my Post-TSB synopsis.