MID Display behavior

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
MID Display behavior

As everyone knows, the MID display can toggle through several displays such as SHAWD, TPMS, Trip Computer, etc. However, my RL does not remember the current setting when you turn the car off and restart. It always reverts back to the default "blank" screen. I assumed that was intentional until I picked up my MDX yesterday. The MID on the MDX retains it's last setting and redisplays it the next time you start the car.

How does everyone elses RL MID work? Is my RL broken or did they just get smart with the MDX and realize people would want to have their settings remembered?
Old 10-19-2007, 04:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
As everyone knows, the MID display can toggle through several displays such as SHAWD, TPMS, Trip Computer, etc. However, my RL does not remember the current setting when you turn the car off and restart. It always reverts back to the default "blank" screen. I assumed that was intentional until I picked up my MDX yesterday. The MID on the MDX retains it's last setting and redisplays it the next time you start the car.

How does everyone elses RL MID work? Is my RL broken or did they just get smart with the MDX and realize people would want to have their settings remembered?
On both my old 05 and current 06 RL, the MID is blank upon startup. Also once you press the up or down arrow to cycle through the MID screens, you cannot "blank it out" without shutting the car down.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 works just like yours - which is another minor pain.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:31 PM
Go Big Blue!

Hmmm, this is what I suspected, but, I just wanted to check. To bad they didn't figure out this obvious feature until after they designed the RL in 05
Old 10-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
My 06 starts out blank and does not remember where you are, but pressing the up will take you one back to where you were. Say you were on the torque graph, shut down, start up, blank screen, press up button and the torque graph displays, and not something else like the mpg graph, etc.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Mine works exactly as Chas2 describes. Just press the up or down button to go back to where you were, once you restart the car. Sounds like this "feature" was fixed for the MDX.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:31 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Mine works exactly as Chas2 describes. Just press the up or down button to go back to where you were, once you restart the car. Sounds like this "feature" was fixed for the MDX.
Yep, I agree with that also.

OK, looks like mine is not broken. Seems they just changed the behavior for the MID when they engineered the MDX. Personally I like how it works with the MDX. I leave mine on the AWD setting. JNot something you need to see to drive the car, but it looks cool

By the way, if we can assume the AWD display is representative of what's really going on with the SHAWD, the MDX works very different then my RL. The MDX is definitely FWD biased while my RL seems more balanced. Even when cruising the MDX shows 3 bars in front and 2 bars in back. The RL is usually very even across all 4 wheels Accelerating the MDX also sends way more power to the front most times (but not always), again, the RL is more balanced. The rear lateral adjustments also seem more pronounced in the MDX. You have to really push the RL to see side-to-side shifts in rear torque. My MDX throws power to the outside wheel even on a "normal" turn.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Yep, I agree with that also.

OK, looks like mine is not broken. Seems they just changed the behavior for the MID when they engineered the MDX. Personally I like how it works with the MDX. I leave mine on the AWD setting. JNot something you need to see to drive the car, but it looks cool

By the way, if we can assume the AWD display is representative of what's really going on with the SHAWD, the MDX works very different then my RL. The MDX is definitely FWD biased while my RL seems more balanced. Even when cruising the MDX shows 3 bars in front and 2 bars in back. The RL is usually very even across all 4 wheels Accelerating the MDX also sends way more power to the front most times (but not always), again, the RL is more balanced. The rear lateral adjustments also seem more pronounced in the MDX. You have to really push the RL to see side-to-side shifts in rear torque. My MDX throws power to the outside wheel even on a "normal" turn.

I think we have discussed this before Mikey. The SHAWD of the MDX (and the RX) would have to behave differently between these vehicles and the RL. The yaw sensors, center of gravity etc will respond differently in each of these vehicles and case the SHAWD to react differently.

Without SHAWD the RL is lower and more stable, and requires less 'correction' input by the SHAWD. The taller, dynamically different MDX will input different information into the processor and subsequently the SHAWD will react differently...perhaps as more SHAWD response in a curve where the RL requires little.

I still expect the SHAWD MID was tweaked to look more responsive as I read too frequently it appears the SHAWD in the RL is ineffective. Perhaps a better visual representation of what SHAWD is doing was re-programmed into the MID?

But overall, I would expct the SHAWD to work less in the RL than an MDX, and that would be reflected in the MID display.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Racer

I still wish the SH-AWD status could be displayed on the NAV screen. How cool would that be?
Old 10-23-2007, 11:41 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by gavine
I still wish the SH-AWD status could be displayed on the NAV screen. How cool would that be?
Anywhere but the MID! I would love SHAWD display as a head up!
Old 10-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Somebody, somewhere wrote the code for the operation of the MID. Wouldn't you just like to ask him a few questions?
1 - What were you thinking?
2 - Are you still employed?
3 - This is a joke isn't it?
Old 10-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Racer

I don't mind the MID at all....it's just not visible when turning the wheel and that's when you want to see the SH-AWD status (when turning the wheel). If it was on the NAV screen, you would be able to see it batter and so would the passengers.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:31 PM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gavine
I don't mind the MID at all....it's just not visible when turning the wheel and that's when you want to see the SH-AWD status (when turning the wheel). If it was on the NAV screen, you would be able to see it batter and so would the passengers.

And when you're turning the wheel and pressing the gas to make the SH-AWD do enough to actually move the bars, your eyes should be ON THE ROAD. Which is why the display is completely stupid, anyway.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jftjr
And when you're turning the wheel and pressing the gas to make the SH-AWD do enough to actually move the bars, your eyes should be ON THE ROAD. Which is why the display is completely stupid, anyway.
How about for passengers to see? Why not show-off the technology and get non-Acura owners interested in SH-AWD.

Also, Tampa's suggestion of it on a HID would solve that problem and make the display usable.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:17 AM
Go Big Blue!

When you think about it though, the display really has no value. You don't need it to driver better. The system is automatic and you have no influence on what it does. It would be like having a display for the VSA or ABS system. Clearly they added it simply to show off the unique technology, however, I can't imagine them spending additional money to make it more visible. In a way, I'm surprised they spent money to even display it in the first place.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

When you think about it though, the display really has no value. You don't need it to driver better. The system is automatic and you have no influence on what it does. It would be like having a display for the VSA or ABS system. Clearly they added it simply to show off the unique technology, however, I can't imagine them spending additional money to make it more visible. In a way, I'm surprised they spent money to even display it in the first place.
Just about every review of the RL and the MDX points out the display as a feature that no other car has and that it is entertaining.
I do think that it makes you a better driver too - I now go much faster around curves while mashing the accelerator, twisting my body under the steering wheel to see a display that has no value. Only RL drivers can do that!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Go Big Blue!

Originally Posted by db22
Just about every review of the RL and the MDX points out the display as a feature that no other car has and that it is entertaining.
I do think that it makes you a better driver too - I now go much faster around curves while mashing the accelerator, twisting my body under the steering wheel to see a display that has no value. Only RL drivers can do that!
LOL, I have to admit doing it too eventhough I know it's stupid. Pushing extra hard to see those white bars move up and down. My wife can't understand it, and I can't explain it to her. I've seen Saving Private Ryan a dozen times, she's seen Sleepless in Seattle just as many. It's just one more of those things that falls in the gap between us.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

LOL, I have to admit doing it too eventhough I know it's stupid. Pushing extra hard to see those white bars move up and down. My wife can't understand it, and I can't explain it to her. I've seen Saving Private Ryan a dozen times, she's seen Sleepless in Seattle just as many. It's just one more of those things that falls in the gap between us.
I think I know what you mean: when I'm driving and my wife puts her head on my lap I'm supposed to ask her if she's looking at the MID!