MB's 4 MATIC vs. SH AWD

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 02:01 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB's 4 MATIC vs. SH AWD

Have not had an opportunity to drive the Benz 4Matic and was wondering how it stacks up with the SH AWD in 2nd. Gen.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I have never driven a modern 4 matic either.

As you would expect, the main difference appears to be the Acura has the ability to torque shift from front to back axles and between left to right rear wheels. The MB lacks the torque shifting ability between rear wheels, but it can shift torque between front and rear axles just as the Acura can. The MB uses its stability system in concert with the AWD system just as the Acura does, but again, only the Acura has overdriven rear wheels that can shift torque from side to side.

From a MB Press Release on the 2010 E Class:

With snow, sleet, freezing fog, black ice, temperatures hovering around zero and severe frosts, the winter months hold some unpleasant road conditions in store for drivers. Despite these impediments, however, drivers of Mercedes models equipped with the 4MATIC permanent all-wheel-drive system can set off for the daily commute to work or savour the drive to the next winter wonderland with complete peace of mind. This is because the 4MATIC drive concept boasts formidable performance on snow-covered or icy roads. The E-Class 4MATIC in particular stands out for its blend of high traction reserves, excellent directional stability, peerless safety and exceptional comfort levels. Mercedes-Benz is demonstrating the capa-bilities of the Saloon and Estate models by staging a 4MATIC Workshop in extreme winter conditions on the Timmelsjoch high alpine road in Austria.

As with the 4MATIC system's set-up on a dry or wet road, directional stability and, therefore, active safety are paramount at all times when wintry conditions prevail, too. The mechanical principle of the 4MATIC system, featuring a 45:55 torque split between the front and rear axles and a multi-disc limited-slip centre differential with a basic locking torque of 50 Nm, offers all the right ingredients. This basic design enables high levels of traction, as the dynamic shift in axle load toward the rear axle that occurs during acceleration is harnessed to deliver more drive torque to the rear wheels. However, the multi-disc differential lock is also able to shift the drive torque between the front and rear axles, varying the split between 30:70 and 70:30 as the road conditions dictate. Consequently, intervention by the ESP®, 4ETS or ASR electronic control systems can be delayed for as long as possible and the bulk of the drive torque converted into tractive power, even on slippery roads. All control system interventions go virtually unnoticed, yet drivers still know straight away if they are driving on the limit: in such instances, a yellow warning symbol flashes in the instrument cluster as a highly visible prompt to adapt their driving style to the road conditions.

The drive mechanism's permanently engaged design offers key advantages over other systems that first need to diagnose a lack of grip before activating the 4x4 drive. The 4MATIC on the E-Class will have already made use of this valuable time to start transmitting drive torque via the wheels to the road.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
The following is an excerp from an article comparing SH-AWD, AWD, and the 4-Matic

Of these three vehicles, the Mercedes was the least manageable in the slick conditions. The 4matic system felt crude and car felt very heavy—I was surprised to learn that the Acura actually weighed more. Driving was very unpredictable, with power being cut to stop the wheels from spinning, then returning when unexpected. Even with AWD and ESP, we almost spun the car twice. In conditions such as these, the E-Class would be handful to control.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robarsan
The following is an excerp from an article comparing SH-AWD, AWD, and the 4-Matic

Of these three vehicles, the Mercedes was the least manageable in the slick conditions. The 4matic system felt crude and car felt very heavy—I was surprised to learn that the Acura actually weighed more. Driving was very unpredictable, with power being cut to stop the wheels from spinning, then returning when unexpected. Even with AWD and ESP, we almost spun the car twice. In conditions such as these, the E-Class would be handful to control.
Could you please put the link?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
---> LINK
Old 10-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Sh-awd is amazing! I test drove a non awd e class and didn't like it as much as the Acura. Besides once you go off warranty the m/b dealer will rape you on service..
Old 10-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by robarsan
---> LINK
Thanks for the reminder.

Acura's marketing of this fantastic system is a total fail.

I say for the umpteenth time....SH-AWD is the shiznit and people are trying to copy it...then market it better than Acura. *cough*BMW*cough*
Old 10-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Thanks for the reminder.

Acura's marketing of this fantastic system is a total fail.

I say for the umpteenth time....SH-AWD is the shiznit and people are trying to copy it...then market it better than Acura. *cough*BMW*cough*

I agree about Acura's poor marketing. I always see "Cars or Luxury cars with the best bang for the buck" articles on MSN's & Yahoo's homepages & never see the RL. You see the base 5 series, E Classes & even the M37 (all at MSRP).. Yet the RL's features blow those cars out the water for the same price & on top of that, you can get a new RL tech as low as 5k - 8K below MSRP due to the last few years of relatively low demand & poor marketing!!

I will give those articles a little credit bc they also gave the CTS some love though!!