In the market for a RL

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question In the market for a RL

What years should I stay away from or what specific years should I look at as far as the 05-08's.

Are there any issues I should look at when looking at one?
Old 04-16-2011, 11:55 AM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
there all good !! just get it looked at and check for accidents and service records
Old 04-16-2011, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol, stay away from 05s... (I just bought one 2 weeks ago). but here's some things to check for that are common issues:

1. drive shaft/shaft bearing: common failure causes noisy drive train $1500 part + labor

2. torque converter: whirling noise at certain speeds, mainly noticeable at low speeds $900 part + labor

3. AC compressor $900 part plus labor

4. Auto Frontal Light System issues (normally either the AFS ECU or the rear wheel well sensor). The sensor is only $150 os so, but the ECU is nearly $1000

5. Door handles: the smart lock system on them quits working when they get wet $about $250 per handle plus labor or about $400 total installed per side (mine worked fine when I test drove the car, but when I went to pick it up, they washed the car which caused them to temporarily stop working)

6. If you get an 06+, you can wire in a factory back up camera. 05 requires aftermarket install (which is just as easy to install and probably cheaper... but some people prefer OEM). I like my aftermarket backup camera, just like OEM but only $225 for the camera and relay box (navtool).

You can call all the Acura dealers that have serviced the car and ask them what major components have been replaced. But the ones I listed above are the main ones to watch for. In the 2 weeks that I've owned my RL I've had my AC make noise one day (sounded like the compressor), my frontal lighting system gave me an error (but went away), my passenger door touch-lock function quits working whenever the door gets wet and even after a tranny flush, I heard my TC whining one day (hasn't done it since).

These were all things I checked before buying the car that just intermittently popped up (and luckily have gone away). But any of those issues could have been VERY costly.

A. GET A WARRANTY

B. USE OEMACURAPARTS.COM FOR PARTS (WAY CHEAPER THAN MOST DEALERS)

C. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION HERE, MOST ISSUES ARE FAIRLY COMMON AND HAVE DIYS ON THE FORUM.

I dont regret getting an 05 because I know I can get the parts fairly cheaper from oemacuraparts.com and a lot of the things I can fix myself, or have a local independent shop do for half the price of the dealer. Also, I did pay extra for a 6month/6000 mile warranty through the dealer (I probably should have gone for the 24month/24000 mile but it was more than twice as much as the 6 month one).
Old 04-16-2011, 03:53 PM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
why not consider the 2009+ ones, too?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jacob king
lol, stay away from 05s... (I just bought one 2 weeks ago). but here's some things to check for that are common issues:

1. drive shaft/shaft bearing: common failure causes noisy drive train $1500 part + labor

2. torque converter: whirling noise at certain speeds, mainly noticeable at low speeds $900 part + labor

3. AC compressor $900 part plus labor

4. Auto Frontal Light System issues (normally either the AFS ECU or the rear wheel well sensor). The sensor is only $150 os so, but the ECU is nearly $1000

5. Door handles: the smart lock system on them quits working when they get wet $about $250 per handle plus labor or about $400 total installed per side (mine worked fine when I test drove the car, but when I went to pick it up, they washed the car which caused them to temporarily stop working)

6. If you get an 06+, you can wire in a factory back up camera. 05 requires aftermarket install (which is just as easy to install and probably cheaper... but some people prefer OEM). I like my aftermarket backup camera, just like OEM but only $225 for the camera and relay box (navtool).

You can call all the Acura dealers that have serviced the car and ask them what major components have been replaced. But the ones I listed above are the main ones to watch for. In the 2 weeks that I've owned my RL I've had my AC make noise one day (sounded like the compressor), my frontal lighting system gave me an error (but went away), my passenger door touch-lock function quits working whenever the door gets wet and even after a tranny flush, I heard my TC whining one day (hasn't done it since).

These were all things I checked before buying the car that just intermittently popped up (and luckily have gone away). But any of those issues could have been VERY costly.

A. GET A WARRANTY

B. USE OEMACURAPARTS.COM FOR PARTS (WAY CHEAPER THAN MOST DEALERS)

C. USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION HERE, MOST ISSUES ARE FAIRLY COMMON AND HAVE DIYS ON THE FORUM.

I dont regret getting an 05 because I know I can get the parts fairly cheaper from oemacuraparts.com and a lot of the things I can fix myself, or have a local independent shop do for half the price of the dealer. Also, I did pay extra for a 6month/6000 mile warranty through the dealer (I probably should have gone for the 24month/24000 mile but it was more than twice as much as the 6 month one).
Thanks for the info. I think I'll try to look for a 07-08 since I will probably want one within the factory bumper to bumper. As far as the backup camera is that only standard on the Tech models?

Originally Posted by wall e
why not consider the 2009+ ones, too?
I'm wanting to stay in the 20k price range but. If I hold off another year I'll probably look at some 09's then. I'm early in the researching stage.
Old 04-17-2011, 12:53 PM
Instructor

for about 20k you should be able to find a clean 06. if you buy from a big dealer they can sell you a good warranty (Total Protection Plan is a good one, stay away from C.A.R.S. warranty). my warranty is "pretty close" to the Acura warranty.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:03 PM
Instructor

for about 20k you should be able to find a clean 06. if you buy from a big dealer they can sell you a good warranty (Total Protection Plan is a good one, stay away from C.A.R.S. warranty). my warranty is "pretty close" to the Acura warranty.
Lpoke like I'll need to look for a 07 at least in order to yet the Acura care extended warranty.

Is the backup camera not standard on the RL?
Old 04-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Instructor

no, you'll want the tech package w/ nav which is pretty common. what city are you in?
Old 04-17-2011, 03:39 PM
Missing my

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Weird thing about the handles is that my passenger side unlock only works when it is wet. Otherwise it only locks.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Instructor

no, you'll want the tech package w/ nav which is pretty common. what city are you in?
I'm in Louisville, KY doesn't seem to be a good selection around me.

Is there a key in the VIN number to find these models? Sort of like how the MDX's vins you can tell if it's a base, tech, tech w/ ent and etc...?