Man, this car just grows on you.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:24 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Wink Man, this car just grows on you.

I have to admit I was one of those who bought (well, actually leased) this car with a certain amount of doubt in my mind. I had just come off a not-entirely-satisfactory experience with an '06 Infiniti M45 and frankly, nothing else looked attractive to me.

I wanted something with some class, some luxury and lots of trinkets, and after owning a string of Lexuses and Bimmers, the RL looked like a mixed bag to me. It had all the right trinkets, but its looks were underwhelming and I longed for it to have more zoom-zoom. But I didn't want another Lexus or BMW at the time, and M-B, Audi, etc. weren't in the cards, so I went for it, hoping I'd like it.

Like many others here, I've grown to like the RL more and more as time has passed. It just has a lot of innate goodness to it. The Nav is probably the best on the market, the voice recognition and Bluetooth are both top-notch, the sound system is excellent, the ride and handling are terrific and driver/passenger comfort are first rate. The engine, which I first thought was a little anemic, has proven to be up to any challenge I've thrown at it, and it delivers good gas mileage in the process.

This is just another way of saying the RL is a a pleasure to drive, and it has exceeded my expectations. I'm a little fickle when it comes to cars, but the RL looks like a keeper.

I guess this is another post for the subject of this forum, but it's a pleasure to be able to make a post like this.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:57 PM
UrLEGEND

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I went from 93' Legend sedan, 95 Legend coupe, 2000 RL3.5, and now my dream 05. I just love these cars! They love being driven all day everyday
Old 05-13-2007, 09:58 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
You are a perfect example of what seems to be the issue with the RL. If I remember correctly, you were probably one of the most vocal critics of the RL, and you were already in the Acura family. You can imagine how daunting the task is to get people who don't currently own an Acura to look at this car.

Like I've said before, putting an L on the grill would make this car an instant success. Acura has written off this car, and even if you were to add a V8 to this car, I can't imagine it faring any better.

This is an Acura problem, not an RL problem.

If more people objectively looked at this car, more people would feel the same as you and I.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GoHawks
You are a perfect example of what seems to be the issue with the RL. If I remember correctly, you were probably one of the most vocal critics of the RL, and you were already in the Acura family. You can imagine how daunting the task is to get people who don't currently own an Acura to look at this car.

Like I've said before, putting an L on the grill would make this car an instant success. Acura has written off this car, and even if you were to add a V8 to this car, I can't imagine it faring any better.

If more people objectively looked at this car, more people would feel the same as you and I.

Lutz once commented on the failure of the Pontiac Aztec. 'If the Aztec had the Honda logo on its sheetmetal, it would have been a success'.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:01 PM

Not sure about that, but that car was fugly. Although the Element isn't much better looking.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:05 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted something with some class, some luxury and lots of trinkets, and after owning a string of Lexuses and Bimmers, the RL looked like a mixed bag to me. It had all the right trinkets, but its looks were underwhelming and I longed for it to have more zoom-zoom. But I didn't want another Lexus or BMW at the time, and M-B, Audi, etc. weren't in the cards, so I went for it, hoping I'd like it.

Like many others here, I've grown to like the RL more and more as time has passed. It just has a lot of innate goodness to it. The Nav is probably the best on the market, the voice recognition and Bluetooth are both top-notch, the sound system is excellent, the ride and handling are terrific and driver/passenger comfort are first rate. The engine, which I first thought was a little anemic, has proven to be up to any challenge I've thrown at it, and it delivers good gas mileage in the process.

This is just another way of saying the RL is a a pleasure to drive, and it has exceeded my expectations. I'm a little fickle when it comes to cars, but the RL looks like a keeper.

Good stuff here. I owned a TL when the RL came out and the minute I saw the RL I liked it. For me the RL has more of what I wanted in a car- more luxury, more refined ride, better handling and no rattles. I do like it's very understated good looks too.

I guess this is another post for the subject of this forum, but it's a pleasure to be able to make a post like this.

.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-13-2007, 11:36 PM
Instructor

I've owned the vehicle for about 8 months with 10k miles. Driving the RL is like driving it the first day I purchased the vehicle. I love this vehicle and every weekend find an excuse to drive it in the hills. Its just too much fun. Last week I stumbled on prgramming the Nav via voice commands for addresses. I thought you had to type, or speak each letter for the name of the city, street and address. I didn't know you could speak the word. Does any one know if you can do this with places? For example a specific restaruant in a specific city?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I've had my RL for about 25 months now. I appreciate it more each day, especially now that I have to "commute" (be stuck in traffic, really) between Colma, CA and Santa Clara, CA. The comfort and the toys keep me sane.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 AM
Proboscis-free zone

I was lukewarm the first time I drove an RL. The cabin is so quiet that the car doesn't seem all that fast. The handling is so poised that it doesn't feel all that agile. The exterior design is elegant and subtle--it doesn't hit you over the head. The interior and the tech toys are really nice, but all that takes awhile to sink in too. Ultimately though, I realized this is much more car than the TL. (Consumer Reports hasn't figured that one out yet. ) Had the car been called what it is, a Legend, I probably would have "gotten it" much faster.

After 7500 miles and 5 months of ownership, this one is a keeper!!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts

Well said. I can't find any other car that measures up, overall. Don't even mention value.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:19 AM
office monkey

Or the BMW prop or the MB 3 pointed star or the audi 4 rings or whatever the Infiniti symbol is (a mountain peak?)...you could put any on and the car would sell better.

No doubt the reason the RL sells poorly is because it is an Acura and not one of the "bigger players" out there. I also agree that a V8 would do very little to sales.

I have no problems with the car being a sales failure because I personally don't give a rip if peope are too dumb to give the car consideration.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:30 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Great thread. I feel the same way about my RL and am not sorry for moving up from the TL.

Ummm, what was a TL again?
Old 05-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
"Innate goodness" is a great way to describe this car. It is an intangible that doesn't appear on the showroom floor, but rather after months of ownership.

It keeps reminding you and surprising you with its talents. You want to go fast on the two-lane: you have unobtrusive SH-AWD to keep you going. You want to turn up the tunes: Bose 5.1 Stereo. You want to cruise on the interstate: smooth quiet ride & decent mpg. On the inside, you've got one of the best driver's seats in the business, and a striking but functional dash layout.

Rob144
Old 05-14-2007, 11:00 AM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Great thread. I feel the same way about my RL and am not sorry for moving up from the TL.

Perhaps the right analogy--for us guys anyway--is that the (fill in the blank: 5 series, TL, M, etc.) is the popular cheerleader that everybody in high school was falling all over each other to date. The RL/Legend is the smart, quiet, pretty, athletic girl in the back of the class that one discerning guy got to marry.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:49 AM
Wheelin' Dealer

Originally Posted by Rob L
or whatever the Infiniti symbol is (a mountain peak?)...
Actually a road going off in the distance toward the horizon.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Another comment. When my wife and I go out, I often ask her which car she wants to ride in. She generally requests my car. She likes the seats better and on the one long trip she went on in the RL, she felt the seats were great.

This is as opposed to our new Pilot EX-L, which has cheap, hard leather. Great for short trips, not so good for long trips. The wife loves it and the handling is pretty good, but it doesn't beat that luxury car feel.

As a result, we are considering taking the RL for our yearly summer trip to Colorado (3k+ miles round-trip) and shipping the baby's stuff ahead so we can use the trunk for our bags.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:50 PM

Yesterday was a busy day for us. Mother's Day brunch, visiting relatives, and my son had a hockey game. A lot of driving and we had taken the RL.

At one point my wife decided that she wanted to drive. Being Mother's day and all, I obliged, and I had the rare opportunity to sit in the passenger seat.

Different perspective, but more of the same. It was a nice day out so we were driving around with the moonroof open, and it was such a pleasant experience. THe interior feels so luxurious, the car is planted and it just "felt good".

Can't explain it more than that.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:00 PM
AcurAdmirer

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my TL is starting week #3 in the shop getting the hail damage fixed, so I've been doing all my driving in the RL (including two 4-hour round trips to my brother's house in East Texas).

My wife has already commented that it's going to be an adjustment when I go back to using the TL as a daily driver. She says the RL is spoiling us.

(I guess she's forgotten that I've hinted about trading the TL when it gets fixed ... )

Old 05-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Not sure I've had my RL long enough to get "spoiled" but I've certainly already noticed the marked difference in cabin noise from the other car in our family ('04 Toyota Sienna). That Bose "noise cancelation" system really does work.

One thing I'm definitely getting used to is the voice control. Find myself already wanting to "talk" to the Sienna. Man, what are our cars going to do for us in ANOTHER 10 years?
Old 05-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jcbridges
Actually a road going off in the distance toward the horizon.
hmmm... thats kinda cool actually.

I always thought the Infiniti emblem was just a modified version of the infinity symbol. They both look very similar.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:51 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
When I purchased my TL I was excited by the styling and features, and I was wowed by the reviews. When I test drove it it felt very unlike anything esle I was comparing too. So I bought it. Not long afterwards, within a few months as the car became 'familiar' to me, my focus was on it's faults. Assembly issues, harsher ride than I want for daily driving, and ultimately long term wear concerns. The reason I bought the TL were being trumped, relatively quickly.

Then I bought the RL. as others stated, each time I drive it it has that new car appeal. It still is smooth and solid. I feel confident in the assembly moreso than TL and I am continually amazed how much thought has gone into the engineering. It feels confident and substantial. It certainly grows on you, instead of initial impression which tends to wear away. These are the attributes I seek for a 'keeper' car. High fashion becomes passe, whereas I see the RL looking handsome still in 10 years (as I do with LEGENDs).

I was reading on the Honda website That the RL (LEGEND)was designed with harmony in style, enviromental impact and driving characteristics. That is what pleases me in the long term. The 'fashionable' TL wore off too soon. I still love to lok at them, but I prefer to drive the RL.

It is very odd how the RL grows on you.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:57 PM
Advanced

2006 14 Months old Not one problem to report I must admit our 2007 tls is on great looking car you could possibly say a lot of fun to drive but there is just something about the feel of the rl I would not trade with my wife
Old 05-14-2007, 07:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from an 05 TL to an 07 RL just a little over a month ago, (my wife now has the TL), and was definitely having second thoughts about the RL the first few days of ownership.
The more I drive the car, however, the more I appreciate the car. Performance is decent and the handling to me are great even in stock form.

I love the looks of the car and its interior and feel the design will wear well with time.

All I know is the more I drive it the better I feel about my choice and hope to enjoy this car for some time.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Instructor

You guys are killing me! I can almost hear the soft music playing in the background.

Everytime I convince myself that I am going to buy a TL Type-S 6spd, I come here and hear all of these glowing comments about the RL. My wife says I'm wishy washy and to make up my mind. I agree, but it is tough.

I know that ultimately, I can't win. If I get the six speed, I will keep thinking about the RL interior and the gadgets. If I get the RL, I will keep thinking about the 6spd performance.

I'm going to bed!
Old 05-14-2007, 11:01 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I hear ya. I'm wonderin what kind of remorse I will have if I get an RL to replace my CLS 6speed (same shifter as the TL). Honda makes the best shifters I've ever paddled, it's a lot of fun.
But the RL ramps up the refinement and pampers with more tech goodies.
Both great cars, would love to have a 6speed RL coupe.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:07 PM
Intermediate

I agree. My car has grown on me too. Believe it or not, I think the styling of this car really stands out the more and more I see it. I love the agressive look on the front and the rear looks very classy. BTW, the tail lights look awesome, especially at night with the lights on.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:39 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by allykahn
You guys are killing me! I can almost hear the soft music playing in the background.

Everytime I convince myself that I am going to buy a TL Type-S 6spd, I come here and hear all of these glowing comments about the RL. My wife says I'm wishy washy and to make up my mind. I agree, but it is tough.

I know that ultimately, I can't win. If I get the six speed, I will keep thinking about the RL interior and the gadgets. If I get the RL, I will keep thinking about the 6spd performance.

I'm going to bed!
Get both!

One for you and one for your wife. You can trade off as the mood hits you.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Intermediate

Hey, Mike. Great post. Your thoughts exactly parallel mine in making the RL purchase decision. Must be a Texas thing...

After having my first two RL deals fall through at local dealers, I was considering going another route, but your post helped put me over the edge. I put a deposit on an RL yesterday with "CL6" AKA Price from Marin Acura. I look forward to joining you all behind the wheel in a couple of weeks!
Old 05-15-2007, 03:49 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by jswearingen
Hey, Mike. Great post. Your thoughts exactly parallel mine in making the RL purchase decision. Must be a Texas thing...

After having my first two RL deals fall through at local dealers, I was considering going another route, but your post helped put me over the edge. I put a deposit on an RL yesterday with "CL6" AKA Price from Marin Acura. I look forward to joining you all behind the wheel in a couple of weeks!
Congrats! The waiting is the hardest part, but it will be worth it.

Good job CL6, finding the RL jswearingen was looking for.

It takes a village....
Old 05-15-2007, 04:23 PM
AcurAdmirer

I really and truly think you'll be happy with the car - it's a peach.

As we've posted elsewhere on the forum, it may seem "soft" in the acceleration department at first blush, but it's just a matter of throttle calibration, and if you just push a little harder it will give you all the oomph you want.

There's a little learning curve on all the accessories, too, but you'll sort them out pretty quickly and start getting the goodie out of them.

More than anything else, though, I think you'll continue to be pleased with the overall comfort and feel of the RL. As someone else noted, it's keeps on feeling like a new car after some other cars have become daily drivers.

Color? Tech?

Old 05-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Racer

I sold my RL after year of ownership... not because I didn't like it, but I just wanted to upgrade to a car in a different class and price range, BUT.....

Even when driving the E55 around, I still gaze at RL's I see. It's a really really nice car. I miss some of the features such as the amazing navigation system. My Benz nav sucks in comparison. Also, the RL's stereo is top notch.

I am still glad I got the E, but the RL is something I do somewhat miss. It's a helluva car and the looks grew on me too, so now I really admire them when I see 'em.

My old car wound up at this broker (I didn't trade it to them directly, and am not associated w/ them in any way). It's a good car and not a bad price for it.

My RL for sale at some dealer here in town

I know the URL b/c I like to look at it. hehe. My dad actually found it online when he was car shopping. Sure enough, it's mine. Weird to see it for sale.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:28 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Geez I've been outed! Your new RL will be on its way to you shortly. I hope that you enjoy it. Working with you has been a pleasure. Please send me a picture of you in your car.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:59 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Scott in Houston
Even when driving the E55 around....
And I still say....mmmmm......E55...... .....mmmmmm.........yes, you still look at RLs alright...before you smoke them in the E55!
Old 05-23-2007, 03:16 AM
Back after 1 Year!

Received 33 Likes on 4 Posts

It's that car you bought in 2003 when it first came out.

I bought my 05 TL and a month later my parents bought an 05 RL and 1 week later my parents took their friends to buy a RL becuase they liked my parents car so much. So 3 cars bought in 1 1/2 months from Acura.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:30 PM
Racer

And I still say....mmmmm......E55...... .....mmmmmm.........yes, you still look at RLs alright...before you smoke them in the E55!

LOL

Yes, there's no comparison in acceleration. The E55 is mind boggling with gobs and gobs of torque. It feeds my HP addiction.

Just for grins... sorry if it's a thread hi-jack (delete if you like), but here is my RL's replacement:

Old 05-23-2007, 10:40 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Except for the three-pointed star in the hub, those wheels look suspiciously like A-spec. Of course, Acura gets no RE-spec. (Cue Aretha.)
Old 05-23-2007, 10:42 PM
Intermediate

In the 3 weeks since I bought my '07 RL, I have had 3 people come up to me saying it is the classiest looking car they have seen in awhile. One guy said he thinks the new Mercedes are copying some of the RL/Legend design cues, oval exhaust, similar tailights, etc. While some of the manufacturers are trying to blitz a new style every couple of years, ending up looking outdated in a short period, the styling of the RL is classic enough to look great for a long time, while bearing contemporary design cues that are forward and classy, not tacky. All those articles that say that TL is better value for similar car, thats hogwash. Absolutely totally different class of automobile!
Old 05-23-2007, 10:47 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Originally Posted by sdacuraguy
... All those articles that say that TL is better value for similar car, thats hogwash. Absolutely totally different class of automobile!

From a former TL owner: word up. NO comparison.

TL = hot GF.

RL = hot wife (for life).
Old 05-24-2007, 11:48 AM

My wife and I swapped cars today. I needed the Land Cruiser because I'm going to pick up our boat to get it home and prepped to get in the water.

Anyway, my wife calls me and tells me how much she just loves the RL, and was raving on and on about it.
Old 05-24-2007, 08:08 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Cool Love this Car!

I just bought a 2000 RL from my brother a couple of months ago (he made me a deal I could'nt refuse.) My daily driver for the past 15 years has been my 1985 Mazda RX-7. 15 years of seat of my pant's driving with a manual trans and manual steering allows me to truely appreciate the Acura 3.5 RL. It is a solid, responsive ride that is quiet, comfortable, and has a BOSE sound system to boot. I am "one happy camper."

Quick Reply: Man, this car just grows on you.