Let's talk performance!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 04:28 AM
Unemployed or retired?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fatalvenom
Well Ford went back to the cast-iron block because they knew the capabilities of that 4.6 DOHC. You can take a 03-04 Cobra and spend less than 3,000 and have almost 750HP. Ford knows that the people that buy these cars are about 85% more likely to mod these cars than someone who is buying, say, a GT Stang, sure there are alot of modded GT's, but compare it to the number of modded Cobras!!!

A Jaguar S-Type R has a Supercharger on its 4.2 AJ V8, and let me tell you from first hand experience......that bitch isnt a slouch at 5000rpm+.

As to you saying you cant do it because of a warranty......Steeda, Saleen, and Roush all Supercharge their top of the line cars and they have a full warranty from FORD, thanks to the Technology Transfer Program. Ford shares all of their ECU codes with these companies to help them make the cars faster, but they also do it so Ford can warranty these cars. There is no reason Comptech couldnt accomplish the same thing if they are given AHMC's blessing.

And the aluminum block overheating.........hahaha, thats why they invented an Intercooler!!!!!!!! If you run too much boost with too high of a compression, you will create detonation, everyone who knows anything about motors knows that. But Intercooling cools the incoming air charge, thus with the proper air/fuel/spark settings you can achieve a good gain in HP with PROPER TUNING, and suffer NO ENGINE DAMAGE!!!!!!!!!

Oh and Ford changed the Cobra over to a cast-iron block not because the aluminum was too heat sensitive, its because it wasnt strong enough to withstand the amount of power the engine could produce.

Thanks for your time,

Your local Mustang freak and RL lover =)

I think you need to go back and read over the posts. Mostly, you are agreeing with what I posted.

Do you know what compression ratio the S/C JAG runs? Any guesses? How about 9 to 1 with intercoolers!

Intercooling, would be nice but it seldom shows up on bolt on systems.

Go out and look at your engine. It doesn't point north and south. It points east and west. Coming up with a induction cooling system that equalized temperatures for all 6 cylinders would be some trick! Let alone equalized head temperatures/pressures.

An add on forced induction system with a factory warranty from Acura?
Please! Honda hates forced induction! Name one production vehicle that Honda/Acura has produced that has it. They are on record for stating this is not a good design solution for production engines.

Ford didn't roll back the calendar with a cast iron block because of their concern with people going higher with further horsepower. They simply did not get the durability at current power levels with the aluminum block. The information at: http://www.blueovalnews.com/ was all over that at the time.

And again for the umpteenth time. Does anybody even have a starting clue on what average troque levels the SH AWD system is designed to? How about the 5 speed transmission?

We keep going over the same ground of what is sound engineering principles and what is a "make a wish" design. I hope you guys find what you are looking for. There have been lots of design breakthroughs in the past and maybe there will be one for the 3.5 that can add signifigant power with durability, but it would have to be a new breakthrough.
Old 10-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rich in NC

Go out and look at your engine. It doesn't point north and south. It points east and west.
Dang, Rich, how'd you know which way my car was parked? You been looking at those satellite photos again?
Old 10-02-2005, 09:30 AM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago
Dang, Rich, how'd you know which way my car was parked? You been looking at those satellite photos again?
Karl,
I think I am going to give up on this "free lunches are never free" thread. I wish some of these guys should see how poorly most bolt on supercharged cars do on Gingerman!

Photos! That's so 90s! I have live video on you!
That shirt you are wearing now is not a good look on you. Leave your den go back to the bedroom and change to the Gingerman black long sleeve T.
I'm watching!
Old 10-03-2005, 09:28 PM
Advanced

I

And again for the umpteenth time. Does anybody even have a starting clue on what average troque levels the SH AWD system is designed to? How about the 5 speed transmission?
ignifigant power with durability, but it would have to be a new breakthrough.
opinons are like arseholes - everyone got one, and they all think the other person's stinks.

600% more power (then honda anticipated) to, say, the left front wheel. That would be "interesting".

Rich. I concur. RL Stock is plenty fast. FOR ITS CLASS.

If I wanted a car with "racing" dna from the ground up, I'd probably buy something else - the Alfa gt or Brera comes to mind, but that's just me. (here comes another flame war)
http://www.alfacentro.com/features/brera/
http://www.autodelta.co.uk/autodelta_2.htm

Truth is - NO ONE HERE has actually done any mods. None. Nor will they.

Lets face it.

The RL is a "safe" yuppie car, with sporty pretensions. (Boy, am I about to be flamed). I doubt the "profile" of this buyer is going to rush out and spend another 5-10k on proper performance mods. They'd probably get another car in the first place.

Give it 5-8 years when the RL has lost 75% of its value, and is in the hands of modders.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:58 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Karl,
I think I am going to give up on this "free lunches are never free" thread. I wish some of these guys should see how poorly most bolt on supercharged cars do on Gingerman!

Photos! That's so 90s! I have live video on you!
That shirt you are wearing now is not a good look on you. Leave your den go back to the bedroom and change to the Gingerman black long sleeve T.
I'm watching!
LOL, tune in your cameras to Road America this weekend when we'll be up there for 2 days (Gawd, am I gonna burn up some brakes!). I still remember the Ford Lightning that cut in front of me at Blackhawk Farms a couple years ago during staging for a practice run. I was kinda pissed . . . and then even moreso when (surprise!) he couldn't keep speed through the turns but waved me by after turn 7 but never let off the gas (hello! your 385 bhp is more than my 345 bhp on my '99 vette). So I just stayed on his butt until he almost rolled it in turn 3a; think he made a permanent stain in his shorts. I did notice once the afternoon timed runs started (and we were in different classes) that his engine sounded decidedly differently than it had in the morning - and it wasn't a real good sound. Factory superchargers can be great but don't exceed the intended usage options - flogging a pickup truck around a race course might not have been one of them. Long range weather has a nice cool weekend up north dere, eh, so we should get some smoking lap times once the rubber heats up. Sorry you won't be there - we'll toast a round at Siebkens in your name.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Unemployed or retired?

Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago
LOL, tune in your cameras to Road America this weekend when we'll be up there for 2 days (Gawd, am I gonna burn up some brakes!). I still remember the Ford Lightning that cut in front of me at Blackhawk Farms a couple years ago during staging for a practice run. I was kinda pissed . . . and then even moreso when (surprise!) he couldn't keep speed through the turns but waved me by after turn 7 but never let off the gas (hello! your 385 bhp is more than my 345 bhp on my '99 vette). So I just stayed on his butt until he almost rolled it in turn 3a; think he made a permanent stain in his shorts. I did notice once the afternoon timed runs started (and we were in different classes) that his engine sounded decidedly differently than it had in the morning - and it wasn't a real good sound. Factory superchargers can be great but don't exceed the intended usage options - flogging a pickup truck around a race course might not have been one of them. Long range weather has a nice cool weekend up north dere, eh, so we should get some smoking lap times once the rubber heats up. Sorry you won't be there - we'll toast a round at Siebkens in your name.

Karl,

Have a great time at Roadamerica. Keep her smooth through 12!
Old 10-04-2005, 10:13 PM
The Yankees SUCK !!!

Well it doesnt matter if the car is supercharged or not. If you beat a car on a race track(or truck) for long enough and you dont do it correctly, or smoothly, you will destroy a car. F1 cars are made with the most expensive and exotic materials, yet they require a new motor almost every race. Even me a 23 yr. old wont beat my RL into the ground if I got a supercharger, thats why I have my 500HP Cobra!!! If that breaks, well I can replace the motor for around $3,900. Thats why it pays to have a daily driver, and a weekend cruiser=)