Lakeshore Silver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 11:43 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lakeshore Silver?

I'm looking at a 2006 RL in Lakeshore Silver, with taupe interior, and am hesitant about that exterior color. In daylight, it seems to have a definite blue or violet cast. I would prefer Celestial Silver or Desert Mist, but there are none such around (northern NJ). I've never had, or considered, a blue/bluish car.

What do you guys think about the Lakeshore Silver? Besides the blue, does it look dirty fast, like dark colors, or slow, like light colors?
Old 10-13-2007, 11:57 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Lakeshore would be my 1st choice in RL colors to own. I never noticed any blue tint in it. I see browns, maybe slight purplish mauve, greys. I think it would hide dirt very well.
Silver looks okay, the Desert Mist is not a fav of mine on any car. Black looks best IMO but not fun to own.
Are you sure this car is not one of the blue colors that is offered?
Old 10-13-2007, 01:02 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
I've always thought of the lakeshore as a light gray. From what I've seen, they are pretty similar in terms of being a "low maintenance" color in terms of hiding dirt. When it comes to how noticable scratches are, I think Celestial Silver hides them best.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
That description almost sounds like the Meteor Silver color which was dropped in 07. It was a light silver - blue metallic that sometimes had a purple-ish hue. It was my first color choice, but alas, to get the bargain price I had to take what was available on the lot.

But if Lakehore exhibits the same hue, I may not see it being color blind!

I agree that Lakeshore & Carbon Grey would be better at hiding dust. I love my Opulent Blue, but like Black, it shows dust and dirt before you finish buffing it out!
Old 10-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Lakeshore is a great color, and my first choice in the RL. I have seen them dirty, and from a far, not bad looking.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
Lakeshore is a great color, and my first choice in the RL. I have seen them dirty, and from a far, not bad looking.
I agree. The first RL I ever saw in person was a Lakeshore Silver. Loved the slight bluish tint. It holds the dirt much better than the really dark or light colors.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:58 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My RL is Lakeshore, and it was my first choice in color. It hides dirt, dust, and fine scratches very well, yet when polished has a noticeable depth of shine to it.

I don't notice any bluish cast to it, I think it's a pretty neutral gray. Little darker than the metallic silver, and little lighter than the Carbon Gray Pearl.

Plus, it's a great "stealth" color, it doesn't stand out against traffic.... doesn't catch the eyes of the cops.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:47 PM
Racer

I have Lakeshore too....I love it....very low maintenence and looks good when dirty but GREAT when clean.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:14 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Lakeshore was my first choice, but the dealer sold that one before I could exercise my option.

I'm glad now, because I then opted for a Carbon Grey Pearl one and I LOVE it. It has much of the glamor of black without the downside of constantly looking dirty. The darker grey shows the gloss better than Lakeshore, and I think darker colors look dressier.

Lakeshore is nice, but check out Carbon Grey, too.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Just FYI - I have platinum frost (I think either that or desert mist was new for 07) and it is very good at NOT showing the dirt. I picked up a lot of road grime last weekend running around in misty conditions and some on gravel and dirt roads and it hardly showed.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by TampaRL
That description almost sounds like the Meteor Silver color which was dropped in 07. It was a light silver - blue metallic that sometimes had a purple-ish hue. It was my first color choice, but alas, to get the bargain price I had to take what was available on the lot.

But if Lakehore exhibits the same hue, I may not see it being color blind!

I agree that Lakeshore & Carbon Grey would be better at hiding dust. I love my Opulent Blue, but like Black, it shows dust and dirt before you finish buffing it out!
Meteor silver was more of a light blue. They made the RL and TSX in that color for a few years. It was discontinued on the RL, but still exists on the TSX but is called "Glacier Blue Metallic".

Meteor Silver was a bit of a confusing name for it as most people thought the car was light blue and didn't associate the color with silver at all.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Originally Posted by Don Melcher
Just FYI - I have platinum frost (I think either that or desert mist was new for 07) and it is very good at NOT showing the dirt. I picked up a lot of road grime last weekend running around in misty conditions and some on gravel and dirt roads and it hardly showed.
Platinum Frost replaced Celestial Silver. I don't think and Art Grad Student could actually tell the difference between the two.

Those were the most brilliant silvers I ever saw. They have so much more shine and glimmer to them than the silver used by so many manufacturers (including Acura on all models other than the RL).
Old 10-16-2007, 04:48 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by black label
Platinum Frost replaced Celestial Silver. I don't think and Art Grad Student could actually tell the difference between the two.

Those were the most brilliant silvers I ever saw. They have so much more shine and glimmer to them than the silver used by so many manufacturers (including Acura on all models other than the RL).

I am not a fan of silver typically - and in fact had a Nissan P/U truck that I said would be the last silver car I would own (too hard to match in case of body repair). Usually they are darker and I find they tend to blend into the asphault/background too easily and I get enough people pulling out in front of me when I drive my full size white Ford van (I wonder if the government would be interest in buying it to study its stealh technology? )

But this one is brilliant and beautiful.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by black label

To my eyes, Celestial Silver is more brilliant than Platinum Pearl. The sparkles in Celestial Silver are larger than those on Platinum Pearl. That said, I'd be hard pressed to tell one from another unless they were side by side.

I, too, had sworn off silver cars (my '88 Legend Coupe was silver), but the RL's silver was impressive enough to rise to the top of my list. My second choices would be between Lakeshore Silver and Carbon Grey. Pearl White is right up there, too, but for the fact that you couldn't get a taupe interior with it.

Funny thing about the RL, in my mind -- there are no absolutely "great" colors to my eyes, but no really bad ones, either.

Rob144

Rob144
Old 10-16-2007, 06:17 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jftjr
My RL is Lakeshore, and it was my first choice in color. It hides dirt, dust, and fine scratches very well, yet when polished has a noticeable depth of shine to it.

I don't notice any bluish cast to it, I think it's a pretty neutral gray. Little darker than the metallic silver, and little lighter than the Carbon Gray Pearl.

Plus, it's a great "stealth" color, it doesn't stand out against traffic.... doesn't catch the eyes of the cops.
Me too. My dealer did not have it and I had to pre order it.(car was shipped from out of state).

Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Where's the Acura badge?
The others are still there.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Asian07RL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TampaRL
Where's the Acura badge?
The others are still there.

I decided to semi debage the "ACURA". The symbol already speaks for itself.
It also easy for me to wax the car at that spot.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
I love lakeshore silver, would have tried to pick one up if I didn't score a great deal on a Celestial Silver.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:11 PM
White and Nerdy

I have a Lakeshore Silver RL and love it. It does have a purple blueish...I dunno what to call it..."subtint", "subhue? That sounds silly....anyways...

Before my RL, I had a Carbon Grey TSX (another great car, BTW), and the Carbon Grey also had a bit of blue in it as well. I dunno if its the exact same Carbon Grey as in the RL, but would assume so.

I really liked the Lakeshore because I thought it was a rather unique intermediate grey. There also seem to be a ton of Carbon Grey cars out there now (when I bought my TSX roughly four years ago, two other guys at work also happened to buy new cars. One bought an Impala, the other a large truck...all three of our cars were Carbon Grey!!! It was the color du jour!).

If you don't like the blueish subtint, underlying hue...whatever to call it, I think the Meteor Silver has a different "subhue". I have found that almost all Honda and Acura cars with mettalic paints have some kind of "subhue" to them..

Agree with several of the previous posters...grey or silver cars are the best balance of appearance and upkeep.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Godwhacker
I have a Lakeshore Silver RL and love it. It does have a purple blueish...I dunno what to call it..."subtint", "subhue? That sounds silly....anyways...

Before my RL, I had a Carbon Grey TSX (another great car, BTW), and the Carbon Grey also had a bit of blue in it as well. I dunno if its the exact same Carbon Grey as in the RL, but would assume so.

I really liked the Lakeshore because I thought it was a rather unique intermediate grey. There also seem to be a ton of Carbon Grey cars out there now (when I bought my TSX roughly four years ago, two other guys at work also happened to buy new cars. One bought an Impala, the other a large truck...all three of our cars were Carbon Grey!!! It was the color du jour!).

If you don't like the blueish subtint, underlying hue...whatever to call it, I think the Meteor Silver has a different "subhue". I have found that almost all Honda and Acura cars with mettalic paints have some kind of "subhue" to them..

Agree with several of the previous posters...grey or silver cars are the best balance of appearance and upkeep.
The Nighthawk Black Pearl has little flecks of blue in the paint. It's the "black-est" car I've ever had, even more so than my "Super Black" 1990 Nissan Maxima SE.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:53 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Platinum Frost- it's a silver color- and I've never had such a low maintenance exterior in a car ever. It doesn't show dirt and light scratches at all. I take it to the car wash when the interior gets dirty. Lakeshore is a nice choice, I defnitely feel it's less maintenance than any of the dark colors- not quite as easy as Platinum Frost.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:56 PM
7th Gear

Thanks, guys

I really appreciate your positive comments on the Lakeshore Silver RL. Today I went to a dealer and saw a LS demo in shade, under an overhang, looking light silver gray, hardly blue, and also saw a new one in sunshine, with the definite bluish cast, to these eyes at least. I'm tilting a bit toward this color - will check out the 2006 again this week.
Thanks again!
Old 10-22-2007, 05:14 PM
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Another lakeshore owner. I trully like the color, and, as others have mentioned it is low maintenance. The color hue you are alluding to I would describe as a faint "pink champagne" tone, its noticeable mostly when its cloudy, in bright sunlight it simply looks like a slightly "off" light gray. Though I like it, I think overall, the color pallete, of the RL is pretty darned dull, a couple of more vivid colors might inject some exitement into the lineup, why not a milano red, or a cobalt blue?? It's mystifying to my that the only Acura that has some exiting colors is the TSX, the rest of the lineup color are DULL. My 2004 TL had a beautifull deep metallic blue (dont remember the name) which was killed just a few years later and replaced will a rather limp boring blue. The same applies to Honda, the S2000 used to have an electrifying color called sazuka blue it too was killed as well as the cool red blolsters in the interior, which were replaced by a monochromatic black. I know its about costs but come on, color is one of the fundamental attractiveness factors. A few years back the TSX at the chicago Autoshow caused a splash in part because of its spectacular red paint.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Cruisin'

Smile

I have an 05 in that color and it's great!! I still get a lot of compliments on it.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:10 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by RL06tech
Another lakeshore owner. I trully like the color, and, as others have mentioned it is low maintenance. The color hue you are alluding to I would describe as a faint "pink champagne" tone, its noticeable mostly when its cloudy, in bright sunlight it simply looks like a slightly "off" light gray. Though I like it, I think overall, the color pallete, of the RL is pretty darned dull, a couple of more vivid colors might inject some exitement into the lineup, why not a milano red, or a cobalt blue?? It's mystifying to my that the only Acura that has some exiting colors is the TSX, the rest of the lineup color are DULL. My 2004 TL had a beautifull deep metallic blue (dont remember the name) which was killed just a few years later and replaced will a rather limp boring blue. The same applies to Honda, the S2000 used to have an electrifying color called sazuka blue it too was killed as well as the cool red blolsters in the interior, which were replaced by a monochromatic black. I know its about costs but come on, color is one of the fundamental attractiveness factors. A few years back the TSX at the chicago Autoshow caused a splash in part because of its spectacular red paint.
There's a red RL I see in my area once in a while, but they are rare birds. My dealer tells me he avoids them like the plague, since they will sit on the lot for months.

I guess RL owners want more refined, "dressier" colors, as opposed to the bright, flashy colors you would expect on sports cars.

Old 12-06-2007, 10:53 AM
A Saitama Garage

I just bought a lakeshore silver. At first I thought the color was just "ok" but after owning it for 3-4 days and test driving it for 2-3 days, I have to say that I really like it. It's definitely a gray in sunlit conditions, but depending upon lighting, it changes to shades of brown and/or bluish tints and almost a light purple. Last night I walked up to it in a garage with tubelights, and it looked light brown, then this morning in the sun it was definitely gray/silver, and a few days ago it had a bluish/purple tint. It's like having all sorts of different colors - love it.

It's a nice color overall and hides dirt extremely well.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:39 AM
Advanced

I also have a Lakeshore Silver RL (for 4 days now) and it rained once already and it hides dirt very well.

Overall a very pleasant color. It is similar to Silver Gray on the BMWs.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Advanced

I've had an '06 Lakeshore Silver RL for over a year now. I love this color and agree that it has many variations depending on light conditions. I think of the car as a tone of brown rather than a gray. My wife and some friends tell me it's definitely a gray. I've also noticed the purplish tinge mentioned by others in some lighting conditions.

In any event, it looks great after a wash and wax!

It is unique, I think, in having so many different looks.