keyless access

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 06:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
keyless access

Ok, sorry for all the questions guys. I was wondering, when I was sitting in the RL today, I did not see a place to inser the key. Is there a place to do this? I mean, if the battery in the remote dies, the car isn't going to know if the remote is in the car or not - therefore it will not start. In my FX35 you could put the key right in the ignition knob (I guess you can call it that?)...
Old 06-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ignition knob flips open and you can insert the key that comes out of the remote to start the car. See the owners manual for instructions. I haven't tried it yet.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:54 PM
Suzuka Master

Ahh ok. I thought it would be something like that. I don't have an owners manual yet... maybe this friday can't wait!
Old 06-16-2005, 08:56 AM
office monkey

Yep as stated, a key is inside the remote and the ignition switch can be pulled out and the key goes in there. I prefer the system the RL uses over the start button that other companies use.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Rob L
I prefer the system the RL uses over the start button that other companies use.

Really? Why? I have never used the push button start, but it always looked cool. The FX35 had the same type of start as the RL.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by vikrampatel
Really? Why? I have never used the push button start, but it always looked cool. The FX35 had the same type of start as the RL.
While the ignition button looks cool and all, trying to deal with it when the electronic signal from the key fails is a serious pain in the ass.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Oh ok. Thanks for the information.
Old 06-16-2005, 10:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
While the ignition button looks cool and all, trying to deal with it when the electronic signal from the key fails is a serious pain in the ass.
I see no pain. I have an '04 FX35 w/ Tech so I know how the RL works (although at least with the FX there are NO dead battery issues ).

But back to the no pain in other push button sensors. The new GS dash recognizes the fob sensor. So EVEN if the battery dies in the GS fob the engine will still start. The GS does not even offer an "emergency" start system ala the RL and my FX. The new system in the new M is sweet. There is a slot to the left of the steering wheel that you insert the whole key fob into if its battery dies. So how can inserting the fob into a slot be any more of a pain than taking the "emergency key" out of the fob and twisting the start knob a special way, then inserting the key the old fashioned way?? On my RL test drives the sales rep couldn't even operate the emergency key; he had trouble twisting the knob and exposing the hole. At least in my FX there is a simple hinged slot built into the start knob.

So from my first hand experience I rate the emergency starting system this way in terms of ease (i.e. lass pain):
1) Easiest - '06 Lexus GS button
2) Easy/simple - '06 Infiniti M button
3) Simple - '04 Infiniti FX knob
4) Difficult - '05 RL knob

The RL may be somewhat easy after you learn how the knob works; but thats my point, with the other three cars there is nothing to learn and with the Lexus there is nothing even to do.
Old 06-16-2005, 11:42 AM
office monkey

I like the RL ignition because while the push button looks cool, I prefer being able to turn something to start the engine. I don't know why I prefer it but I do...

I do wish the RL ignition was on the dash rather than on the steering column though.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:15 PM
DCD
Advanced

How often do you guys push the buttons on the RL fob? Me...I think I've done it once since Janaury. Me thinks the battery will die of old age before it would ever die from use.
Old 06-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by msu79gt82
I see no pain. I have an '04 FX35 w/ Tech so I know how the RL works (although at least with the FX there are NO dead battery issues ).

But back to the no pain in other push button sensors. The new GS dash recognizes the fob sensor. So EVEN if the battery dies in the GS fob the engine will still start. The GS does not even offer an "emergency" start system ala the RL and my FX. The new system in the new M is sweet. There is a slot to the left of the steering wheel that you insert the whole key fob into if its battery dies. So how can inserting the fob into a slot be any more of a pain than taking the "emergency key" out of the fob and twisting the start knob a special way, then inserting the key the old fashioned way?? On my RL test drives the sales rep couldn't even operate the emergency key; he had trouble twisting the knob and exposing the hole. At least in my FX there is a simple hinged slot built into the start knob.
It's more common than ever that the dealer sales reps know less than the owners (regardless of brand).

Having said that, in the RL as the battery in the key fob gets close to being replaced, a warning will appear on the dash display. The only time the owner would ever have to remove the key cover on the steering column is if they repeatedly disregard the warning and choose not to use the second key fob that is supply.

Perhaps that would be a concern for some owners.

Not me.

Dave
Old 06-16-2005, 04:54 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by msu79gt82

So from my first hand experience I rate the emergency starting system this way in terms of ease (i.e. lass pain):
1) Easiest - '06 Lexus GS button
2) Easy/simple - '06 Infiniti M button
3) Simple - '04 Infiniti FX knob
4) Difficult - '05 RL knob

The RL may be somewhat easy after you learn how the knob works; but thats my point, with the other three cars there is nothing to learn and with the Lexus there is nothing even to do.
Hmm...the system on the GS I was not aware of. However, the sales rep for the Infiniti dealership told me something different that involved a whole lot of work. Just goes to show that car salesman are often completely uninformed.