Just test drove an 05 RL

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004 | 03:57 PM
Ackniculous One

Just test drove an 05 RL

Wow. This car is amazing. The keyless setup is just downright tight!! I love this car, it handled nice and the brakes are really amazing. Came down from 80mph and slammed on the brakes and the ABS and maybe the VSA kicked in, but the car stopped so fast, I think some organs tried to squeeze through my rib cage! The car handles pretty good on a bumpy road near the dealership. I think it rode a touch harsher than the 04 RL, but better than my TL before I lowered it. I think if I had the money to pick this thing up, I would.

I test drove it purely for curiousity, but there was a guy in the dealership debating whether or not to buy it. He test drove two of them in a week. He said, do you have an Acura? I said yup. He said, would you buy another one, I said absolutely yes. I asked him what he has now, he said a Mercury Grand Marquis. I fell on the floor laughing. No wonder he was so amazed with this car. So, he bought it. Another domestic-less driver on the street today, gotta love it. Once you go Ack, you won't go back, at least to domestic.
Old 11-16-2004 | 09:24 PM
Racer

It is kinda funny, since the point that Acura keeps hyping with the RL is its SH-AWD, that the feature that seems to grab peoples attention the most (it does mine) is the Keyless access. When I walk up to my RL, reach under the trunk lip and open it keyless, toss in my stuff, then walk up to the door, open it, sit down, turn the knob and the engine starts, it puts a smile on my face. The SH-AWD, well, it might as well not be there, I really don't notice it in my everyday driving.

The keyless gets noticed by people I drive and they always want to know the same things:
Q: What if you leave the doors unlocked, won't someone just hop in a drive away?A: You need the fob on you for the car to start.
Q: What if the fob battery dies? How will you get in?A: What if the battery in YOUR fob dies??;...you'll have to use the key, same as RL.
Q: What if someone steals my purse with the keyless fob in it? A: You mean, like if they steal your purse with your keys in it that will be different?
The keyless is such cool technology, it will be just a matter of time before it is on most cars. I do wish RL had keyless start though, and I suspect retrofitting it with the keyless access will be a bear to figure out.

Overall an amazing car.
Old 11-16-2004 | 09:26 PM
Racer

CJITTY,

Oh, btw, what is "Ack"??
Old 11-16-2004 | 11:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by legendguy
The keyless gets noticed by people I drive and they always want to know the same things:
Q: What if you leave the doors unlocked, won't someone just hop in a drive away?A: You need the fob on you for the car to start.
Q: What if the fob battery dies? How will you get in?A: What if the battery in YOUR fob dies??;...you'll have to use the key, same as RL.
Q: What if someone steals my purse with the keyless fob in it? A: You mean, like if they steal your purse with your keys in it that will be different?
The keyless is such cool technology, it will be just a matter of time before it is on most cars.
lemme add 1 of my own that kept coming back into my head ever since i heard of this amazing technology
Q: What happens if you go to a car wash, one that you must get out of the car and they do it for u, do the doors lock automatically?? Does it allow the engine to seize ??
Well thats the only mind boggling question i could come up with the keyless fob
Old 11-17-2004 | 12:47 AM
Instructor

Regarding Delgroco13's question on cash washes, here is what I've learned during my first month with the car:

1. The engine keeps running when you (and your key fob) step out of the car. The RL can be driven and will continue to run until the ignition is switched off. Meanwhile, the car also alerts you with a message (and beep) that if the engine is switched off, a restart will be possible only when a valid key fob comes back within the vehicle's proximity.

2. Since the car wash could (even accidently) turn off the ignition somewhere along the line, I leave the key fob in the center compartment, just as I would leave a key in the ignition of some "regular" car. That way the RL makes it all the way through and back to me, even if it has to be restarted.

3. Since I have my car's preferences set to lock the doors as the vehicle reaches speed, I never have to worry about lockouts in a slow moving car wash.

There are probably lots of other ways to approach full service car washes with the RL, but this is what has worked well for me.
Old 11-17-2004 | 03:04 PM
Ackniculous One

Originally Posted by legendguy
CJITTY,

Oh, btw, what is "Ack"??

It's what I call Acura's. Ac"k"ura
Old 11-17-2004 | 07:26 PM
Racer

ack, ...oh, duh, of course, thanks
Old 11-17-2004 | 07:49 PM
OG

The doors can not lock even if you try when one of the fobs is still in the car if the engine has been turned off.
Old 11-17-2004 | 09:52 PM
04 remembrance

80mph and slammed the brakes? The sales person probably rotted his pants.
Old 11-18-2004 | 01:16 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by iamhomin
80mph and slammed the brakes? The sales person probably rotted his pants.
I've done that before. I've done even more absurd things on a test drive before. Most of the time, salespeople just grin and bear it. Of course, I've run into a few occassions when the salesperson actually asks me to do something crazy and I'm always happy to oblige.