just picked up my first RL

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just picked up my first RL

Hello everyone, just picked up my very first RL, there are a few cosmetic things that will need to be replaced, car runs great.

I am thinking of changing all fluids and filters first.

then addressing some of the switches problems.

1. the front window controls will not bring the rear windows up or down.

2. the heater controls I believe should heat and cool the seats, not sure if they do either, i was to busy driving, which is a lot of fun.

3. no owners booklet, so don't know how to sinc the blue tooth?

any help or advice would very helpful thanks in advance.

Bob
Old 08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Cruisin'

here are some pictures

Last edited by neuronbob; 08-04-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Welcome Bob, and congrats on the RL.

This forum is a wealth of information, and almost anything you can imagine has been discussed. Search is always a good 1st step.

It also would be helpful to know which model year your RL is. Also is it US spec, Canada or elsewhere. There are variances by model year and market configuration.

For window reset:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showt...t=window+reset

For heated seats: 2005-2008 US spec RLs have heated seats only. 2009+ have heated and cooled. Canada models vary from this.

For Hands Free Link it varies by phone model, car model year and cell carrier. It is all covered on the Acura HFL website:

http://www.acura.com/handsfreelink.aspx

Another valuable source is MyAcura.com where you can register your RL and access tutorials, feature information and use as well as online owner's manuals (Operating and Navigation System).
Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Here is the reset procedure for the windows and the sunroof, in case you need it.

2006 RL Sunroof Reset/ Window Reset
According to the Sevice Manual, In order to reset the Moonroof Control Unit do these steps:
1. Turn the ignition switch OFF.
2. Press and hold the tilt switch and turn the ignition switch ON (II).
3. Release the tilt switch and turn the ignition switch OFF.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 four times.
5. Press and hold the moonroof open switch until 3 seconds after the moonroof is fully opened.
6. Press and hold the moonroof close switch until 3 seconds after the moonroof is fully closed (tilted).
7. Confirm that the moonroof is reset by using the moonroof AUTO OPEN and AUTO CLOSE function.
To reset the EACH problem window, do these steps from the individual window control, NOT the driver's master control panel:

Press and hold the button to roll each problem window all the way down, then hold for 5 seconds after the window is down. Let go of the button. Press and hold the button to put the window the whole way up then hold for 5 seconds after the window is up. your windows should now be reset and can be controlled from the drivers window controls.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Welcome and congrats!
Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all your support and help guys, going from a BMW to acura is a big jump,

the RL is a US -spec, 2005 with 81,000 miles.

I am also wondering, I did look at an Acura RL A-spec, besides the cosmetics and wheels is it much more powerful?

Are there any performance mods that can be made for this car?

This is my wife's car now, but I am tempted to get one also, so the performance question is more for me.

I have been driving a v12 6speed bmw 850 for a while, so driving the RL is totally different, the all wheel drive is amazing around the corners.... I do feel that if this car had about 400 or 550 HP it would have been a beast.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
Originally Posted by tread72
I am also wondering, I did look at an Acura RL A-spec, besides the cosmetics and wheels is it much more powerful?
The A-Spec package consisted of a suspension, body kit, and wheels. No changes were made to the power plant.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Cruisin'

Is there a certain place to get a good deal on a whole A-spec kit, even the steering wheel and shifter knob.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
looks good! same color combo as me.

My suggestions are:

1) Tint the windows
2) rear deck lid spoiler

those two changes make the car look 100x better... at least to me.

aspec has nothign to do with the engine. it was a package you could get from the dealer - but you can buy the individual parts yourself and do them piecemeal if you want. it consisted of 18" wheels/tires, different shocks/springs, and a body kit. that was it.

you can get the whole body kit, including the spoiler for around $1200'ish... maybe 1300 if you find a good online vendor. there is an Acura parts guy who posts on here...give him a PM and get a quote.

you can get the spoiler itslef for around $250 I think. another $200 or so is fair to pay a dealer to install it. that's what I did/paid.

the best bang for the buck to make your RL look like a million bucks is to lower it on H&R springs - they look great lowered - and then upside the wheels to 18s or 19s. there are plenty of photos in the photo subforum showing plenty of examples..see what you do /dont like.

you will enjoy the car. it is great. the more i drive it th emore i like it. it is a great commuter / daily driver / luxury car.

once you figure out how to really drive SH-AWD - you will amazed at what your 4000+ lb sedan can do.

hint - when you think you need to let OFF the gas, jus tpush harder! the more power going through the wheels - the better. then the SH-AWD systme will move the power around and guide you through teh turn. "coasting" through a turn means your SHAWD is basically OFFline... but if you go into the turn a few mph slowe than you could...and then accelerate through teh turn..so that you are applying POWER to the grond while you negotiate the turn...the car will just stick like glue. now, don't go out and tackle your local set of twisties and drive off the edge b/c yo upushed it... I don't think the RL is all that great (in stofck form) at switchback turns..it's too heavy... but when you take ONE turn..like a big right hand or left hand sweeper, or a tight 90 degree turn at an intersection.. the car will just stick like glue and power through it far faster than you think it will. trust me.

it must really do well on 18s or 19s with summer tires and aspec. mine has stock suspension, stock 17s and stock tires - partially wearing out on th edges, and it just sticks on turns...
Old 08-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Welcome and congrats! You've got a nice RL there.

I fixed your post so the pictures appear.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:12 AM
Cruisin'

thanks for everyone help, this car rocks.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:26 AM
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
This is my 2nd RL and the more I drive this car the more I love it. Never had a car like it except for my Alfa 164Q. This RL rocks, as today I went around a on ramp circle trying to see if I could break the rear tires. I didn't except that I almost pushed myself out of the seat I was pulling the corner so hard. This car amazes me more and more. Your in the best place on the web with an RL here on the BB.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:36 PM
rtr
RL owner

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
yea nice car! i know what you mean i have 2 2005 RL's and there the same but very different! First thing you do is change ALL the fluids and put drop in K&N filter then 18"rims with nice tires and H&R springs to lower it a bit. Done You dont need tint because you have very nice sun screens. I love the 2 looks of up and down but one of my cars is tinted. Good luck with your car and remember to always use HONDA fluids!. you can PM me if you need any other help
Old 08-05-2010, 06:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
Welcome.

If you have no idea of what maintainac waas done I would count on doing everything just in case. At 80k there isnt really anything major so it shouldnt be to overwelming.

More pics of the 850 please.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FYI, the Honda/Acura window lock control locks the drivers control too. Ideally it would disable the backseat controls but the driver can still control them, but this is not the case.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
[QUOTE=23109VC;
hint - when you think you need to let OFF the gas, jus tpush harder! the more power going through the wheels - the better. then the SH-AWD systme will move the power around and guide you through teh turn. "coasting" through a turn means your SHAWD is basically OFFline... but if you go into the turn a few mph slowe than you could...and then accelerate through teh turn..so that you are applying POWER to the grond while you negotiate the turn...the car will just stick like glue. now, don't go out and tackle your local set of twisties and drive off the edge b/c yo upushed it... I don't think the RL is all that great (in stofck form) at switchback turns..it's too heavy... but when you take ONE turn..like a big right hand or left hand sweeper, or a tight 90 degree turn at an intersection.. the car will just stick like glue and power through it far faster than you think it will. trust me.
QUOTE]BTW - your theory applies to RWD, FWD and AWD - basically brake late and power through the corner. With the RL I would recommend - brake late and simultaneously select manual then drop the necessary gears so that when you have finished braking and entering the corner, you are at peak torque. Just before the entrance of the corner you should be at your slowest point and from there you apply the gas. The quatity of gas depends on the car, the road surface, conditions etc.. The advantage of the RL is that when you start applying the acceleration, at the entrance of the corner, you can be way more agressive in the RL than you can in other cars. After you feel confident with this plan, you then try it in the rain and you will then know that you probably bought the best handling car (for its type) in the world.
All this luxury, quality and so much fun too!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:15 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
SHAWD makes you drive into and out of turns in a manner that initially feels unnatural and contrary to your driving experience. But once you understand and feel the sensation of SHAWD, it can be a hoot.

For me, key is the weight transfer. The RL is a heavy sedan, with suspension tuning favoring comfort. You tend to think you are overpowering the suspension capability with the roll. When you master these dynamics, you come away from an acrobatic turn with wide eyes and an open mouth of 'wow', followed by a cheesy grin. Once I feel the weigh transfer, I get on the accelerator. That rear over-acceleration through the turn is nothing short of an automotive kick-in-the-pants rush.

I highly recommend it for therapeutic reasons.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
This pracice should be done just before your next payment is due. It makes writing the check really easy!
Old 08-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I can't keep but thinking of this thread...

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rl-2005-2012-76/sh-awd-sets-bad-example-500489/
Old 08-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Cruisin'

So here is an interesting problem, my passenger side heater control will not light up as also the seat will not warm up and the right side of the radio controls will not light up, I wonder if it is a fuse?

Now I did open the fuse box, but I guess i will have to buy a repair guide for this car.

otherwise there are a few interior cosmetic things that need to be changed.

I read somewhere that the KN filter kill the Mass Air Meter?

I think next in line is an A-spec body kit upgrade and suspension.

I wonder if anyone has mounted staggerd wheels set up for example 20 x 8 up front and 20 x either 9 or 10 on the rear of these cars?

As for the 850, its a V12 6speed, it the love of my life...lol

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...0/IMG_2144.jpg

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...5/DSC00299.jpg

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...5/DSC00369.jpg
Old 08-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Cruisin'

Oh and the engine shot

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/e...5/DSC00563.jpg