JD Power survey

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 08:19 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
JD Power survey

I just got a JD Power survey in my inbox triggered by my recent purchase of an RL.

Nothing unusual about that, however, the questions struck me as odd. First, it started by asking me what I bought. Then it immediately gave me a list of other cars and asked if I considered them. It was a complete list of every BMW model! Then it went back and started asking me about my satisfaction with the RL. Then it started on this detailed questionare about why I DIDN"T consider a BMW. In the end I felt like I was taking a survey about BMW not my Acura. There were honestly more questions about BMW then the car I bought. What was that all about? Hardly seemed like an independent survey about my buying experience.

Anyone else get this type of survey with 30 out of 50 questions about why you didn't choose a BMW?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:55 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
That seems odd.....and very biased. I'd write back and say, "BMW is not the be all-end all of cars. Send me an unbiased survey without so many BMW questions and maybe I'll respond." Haha.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Go Big Blue!

Your right. There was a place to add comments at the end. I should have said that. It must have been paid by BMW. I thought it was an "initial quality" survey but maybe it wasn't. Afterall, JD Power is not a CR. They make no bones about being all about profit and "selling" themselves. Those JD Power awards are a joke and never to be taken too seriously.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
Your right. There was a place to add comments at the end. I should have said that. It must have been paid by BMW. I thought it was an "initial quality" survey but maybe it wasn't. Afterall, JD Power is not a CR. They make no bones about being all about profit and "selling" themselves. Those JD Power awards are a joke and never to be taken too seriously.
Yeah, I never give any credence to the JD awards. It's all BS IMO.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:46 AM
'06 RL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JD Power is a market research company. Sounds like you got targeted on a market research inquiry by BMW. BMW wants to figure out why we don't all drive BMW's.

I can't imagine that BMW feels threatened by the RL. However, I'm sure the TL eats into a fair amount of 3-series sales....
Old 05-31-2007, 12:46 PM
office monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
Yeah, I never give any credence to the JD awards. It's all BS IMO.
...until Acura wins them and suddenly they are valuable, correct?

I'd LOVE to see Acura win some JD Power awards and then see the reactions of those here trashing them. heh
Old 05-31-2007, 01:07 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Until they make these surveys credible I don't do any of them.

What I mean by that is that we've all heard that any score other than A++ will cost someone their bonus or their salary or their job. That being the case, we've all given some dealer or salesman a higher grade than was deserved simply because we don't want to an ass.

As long as that's the case, the surveys are meaningless. The whole purpose of a survey is to find areas where improvement can be had, and then use that information to improve a product or a service. But as long as the answers aren't truthful, everyone goes along patting each other on the back and it's all been a waste of time. Acura, are you listening?

Old 05-31-2007, 01:42 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I thought they sent their own survey, not directly affiliated with the dealers or car companies. Maybe I don't know that much about it?

Dealer service surveys I agree are commonly abused. To them it seems like it's more important what you rate them than what their actual customer service was. I've had dealers make big customer service errors, only to tell me, 'hey we'll comp the service cause we want a good rating', instead of saying 'we value your business' etc.

And if you don't give a perfect rating it's considered a full negative, there is no in between. That's makes it meaningless IMO. Once I gave a very good, (but less than perfect) rating once, guess what, I never got another survey.

I hope all the dealers don't do this, it could be a great tool if used in a productive way.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:54 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Rob L
...until Acura wins them and suddenly they are valuable, correct?

I'd LOVE to see Acura win some JD Power awards and then see the reactions of those here trashing them. heh
No, not to me, anyway. I take them with a grain of salt.

Seriously.....have you seen who's winning the "initial quality" awards? Hyundai. Yet, Hyundai is still in the middle to bottom of the pack regarding dependability, at least according to JD's own survey that they did last. How can you be first in initial quality, but towards the bottom of the barrel in reliability/dependability? It just doesn't make sense to me.

JD surveys are useless to me.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Until they make these surveys credible I don't do any of them.

What I mean by that is that we've all heard that any score other than A++ will cost someone their bonus or their salary or their job. That being the case, we've all given some dealer or salesman a higher grade than was deserved simply because we don't want to an ass.

As long as that's the case, the surveys are meaningless. The whole purpose of a survey is to find areas where improvement can be had, and then use that information to improve a product or a service. But as long as the answers aren't truthful, everyone goes along patting each other on the back and it's all been a waste of time. Acura, are you listening?

He was talking about a survey from JD Power, not from a specific dealer regarding service or the sales process. But yeah, I agree with you that the dealer surveys are meaningless as well.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:17 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
He was talking about a survey from JD Power, not from a specific dealer regarding service or the sales process. But yeah, I agree with you that the dealer surveys are meaningless as well.
I know, but I've gotten them from "independent" surveyors (Power, Strategic Marketing, etc.) that said something like, "Please complete the enclosed survey to help us and the manufacturer of your new car better understand your needs and buying preferences. Yadda yadda yadda."

That implies to me the mfr. is in on the survey, whether it's Power or someone else conducting it. And in any case, I can almost guarantee you the mfr's see the results. And if you identify where you bought your car, it all comes back around. In fact, some of the generic surveys trigger "local" surveys from the mfr., when they see trends they don't like.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:30 PM
Go Big Blue!

For clarification, it was not a dealer survey. It came from JD Power in an email. This was the text of the email followed by a link to start the survey. Ince I started it it sounded like a BMW survey to me.

============
We would like to invite you to participate in our important marketing research study regarding factors that have influenced you in your vehicle shopping experience. Responses will assist manufacturers in improving their vehicles. The survey will take approximately 10 - 15 minutes, depending on your connection speed.

Your time and input are greatly appreciated. To thank you for participating in the research, your name will be entered into a Sweepstakes drawing for a $500 cash prize. Winners will be drawn and notified in July 2007. You will find the complete Sweepstakes rules at the website below.

Please be assured the information you provide will be used for research purposes only. No sales or marketing efforts will result from your participation in this research effort, and the data that is collected will be aggregated in order to maintain confidentiality.

To begin, please click on the link below. If you wish to stop the survey before you are finished, the next time you access it, the questions will resume where you left off.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:50 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
For clarification, it was not a dealer survey. It came from JD Power in an email. This was the text of the email followed by a link to start the survey. Ince I started it it sounded like a BMW survey to me.

============
We would like to invite you to participate in our important marketing research study regarding factors that have influenced you in your vehicle shopping experience. Responses will assist manufacturers in improving their vehicles. The survey will take approximately 10 - 15 minutes, depending on your connection speed.
That's the tipoff to me. The survey was either commissioned by one or more mfr's, or will be sold to them by Power.