Installing A-spec suspension at dealer, advice?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 02:55 AM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Installing A-spec suspension at dealer, advice?

I just ordered my A-spec suspension, and would probably install it in the next two weeks or so. I just want some advice from those that had it done at the dealer. So I have some questions:
1) I've seen threads in which installation cost about $400 or so, was there anyone who got it installed cheaper?
2)Did you guys take a ruler and measure the height around all four wheels to make sure that it was even? I would probably do this at the dealer when the finish.
3)Did you guys get to have the stock suspension back? I would expect they would give it to you. I just want to check just in case I run into some BS from the dealer about it.
4)Did you guys get to watch your car in surgery? Or they wouldn't let you into the garage area?
5)What kind of warranty should I expect on the suspension?
6)Did you guys run into some other trouble with the installation at the dealers?
7)Any other advice you guys can give?

Much appreciated.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
well OP I got H&R springs and springs are harder to install that a suspension. I did not get them installed at a dealer because of the ass raping. I was charged 200$ by my local mechanic
Old 06-03-2010, 06:38 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you really should go local the dealer is nothing special all they do is rape you for your money and act like they do superior work..... local shops will probably charge around 200-300 dealer will get you for 5 or 6 at least
Old 06-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by sleepinxlionhart
I just ordered my A-spec suspension, and would probably install it in the next two weeks or so. I just want some advice from those that had it done at the dealer. So I have some questions:
1) I've seen threads in which installation cost about $400 or so, was there anyone who got it installed cheaper?
I was one of those who had a reasonable cost, but that was because I had bought three cars at the dealership and done all service, including other mods, at the dealership. They gave me a break.

2)Did you guys take a ruler and measure the height around all four wheels to make sure that it was even? I would probably do this at the dealer when the finish.
Good preventive move, I don't think I did that until I got home.

3)Did you guys get to have the stock suspension back? I would expect they would give it to you. I just want to check just in case I run into some BS from the dealer about it.
Yes, I asked them to give it to me and I still have it in my basement. I suppose I could put it on eBay...if I'd had my brain on, I could have sold the A-Spec suspension when I traded my RL for the V.

4)Did you guys get to watch your car in surgery? Or they wouldn't let you into the garage area?
No. Most dealers won't let you, for legal reasons. (What if you get hurt in the garage and you sue?)

5)What kind of warranty should I expect on the suspension?
You get a 12-month warranty on all Acura parts installed after actual delivery of the car. That's why I insisted on having mine installed at the dealer....if there's a problem, Acura handles it. Was worth peace of mind to me.

6)Did you guys run into some other trouble with the installation at the dealers?
Nope.

7)Any other advice you guys can give?

Much appreciated.
Don't forget to get an alignment, either at the time of the install or within a couple of weeks of the install.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Racer

had my aspec done at

dealer last week. Acura of avon. it give me pease of mind knowing that it is warranty and service guys are the best at what they do on acuras everyday. call them....
Old 06-03-2010, 08:30 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Stay away from the stealer.

I'm sure there are members on this forum who are in your area who'll be willing to help you with the install.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:38 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea and will Bob's Lugs cover something if Timmy hit the crack pipe before the install and caused your shocks to shear off?

Originally Posted by poppintec
you really should go local the dealer is nothing special all they do is rape you for your money and act like they do superior work..... local shops will probably charge around 200-300 dealer will get you for 5 or 6 at least
Old 06-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
you will pay more at the dealer - but you get additional peace of mind/coverage.

if you want to save every penny - get it installed at a local mechanic.. in all honestly, putting in shocks and springs is not rocket sciencd..it's bolt in stuff. any moron mechanic can do it. odds are you could do it yourself. rent a spring compressor and you likely could do it... i've done it before on prior cars....if I can do it you probably can do. I"m only "so so" in terms of mechanical ability...

as I've gotten older, as spare time is more scarce, and as I have a bit more income...I find it just is better to pay a pro to do it than do it myself. doing it yourself can be fun..but i don't have the spare time I had like when I was single...

good luck.

be sure to post here and let us know what you think of the ride/handling when it is all done!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
If you are going to pay a dealer 400 to install, OMG. And like all have said, it doesn't even involve spring/removal and install. It's just a straight swap. Find a local Aziner and pay them 100 bucks. Or read up on it if you have some ratchets/sockets and are somewhat mechanically inclined.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I wish I could find a dealer that charges $400. Mine has quoted $850 (although that includes an alignment).
Old 06-04-2010, 12:31 AM
Pro

Thanks for the info guys. I am not that mechanically inclined...nor do I have the tools to do so.

I wish I could find a dealer that charges $400. Mine has quoted $850 (although that includes an alignment).
=O, whoa, now that's is steep...wow. I have yet to call the dealer to see, maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

I guess my main concern is the warranty...but then again, what's the likely hood of something going wrong w/ the suspension?

After reading what you guys all have to say, maybe I will just go to a local mechanic to get it done, and the dealer for an alignment. Or maybe I can have a mechanically inclined member of this forum that's willing to help install it? I'm in Socal, 626 area.
Old 06-04-2010, 02:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
im 626 too, just have ur suspension installed at a local performance shop. i paid 120. use yelp, there is one guy in arcadia that has good reviews for suspension and alignment.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:06 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by knv8
im 626 too, just have ur suspension installed at a local performance shop. i paid 120. use yelp, there is one guy in arcadia that has good reviews for suspension and alignment.
Nice. Any recollection as to what his shop was called?

I think, very vaguely that there's this one shop that had big bold sign that says they only specialize in Hondas and Acuras. I think it was located around Valley and Nogales? Have you seen/been in that place any chance?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

http://www.yelp.com/biz/jc-auto-house-temple-city
Old 06-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Pro

I just called the guy, told me alignment is $80, while suspension install is $230. Darn, I was really hoping for 120..
Old 06-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Pro

=O, okay, so getting it installed at the dealers is not an option..they want $600 for labor, more than what I paid for the suspension itself..
Old 06-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Pro

I found one willing to install it for $150, sounds like a great deal. Seems they only specialize in Honda/Acuras. But the weird thing is that he's telling me that I don't need an alignment after, since it's still factory suspension. Hm..

Last edited by sleepinxlionhart; 06-04-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:35 PM
Racer

aspec drops your car like a half inch maybe
Old 06-05-2010, 05:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I found one willing to install it for $150, sounds like a great deal. Seems they only specialize in Honda/Acuras. But the weird thing is that he's telling me that I don't need an alignment after, since it's still factory suspension. Hm..
Replacing a major component of your suspension and not getting an alignment? Hmmmm....not a good idea.
Old 06-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Pro

That's what I'm thinking too, but he said he'll do it if I insisted.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:23 PM

When you swap out your suspension, you do not loosen any of the bolts that affect your alignment. If you lower the car a LOT then your toe will go out in addition to the camber. Aspec will not put you out of spec.

I dropped my gf's 08 accord on h&r springs. Front dropped a good 2.5 inches...have not gotten an alignment...and I check it every week for any signs of strange tire wear...nothing...still wearing normally. Go figure.

He could be right. You CAN get an aligment for peace of mind, but it MAY not be necessary.

J.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Burning Brakes

yea after i got my alignment, the tech said it only needed a slight alignment.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:01 AM
Safety Car

Just got mine put on a 2006 Tech Pkg (which is the ACC/CMBS in all other years), and was advised to let the springs settle for a few days before getting the alignment, contrary to the dealer advice, of getting it done immediately. I got it done by an independent who maintains a relationship with Acura through his old racing days, and still gets product to evaluate including the V6 TSX color keyed European sports grill package, which is a very tasteful variation on the beak... not that this piece will be sold by Acura North America...still under evaluation

Also, see the A-SPEC instructions, because they have the A-Spec suspension alignment specs.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
Just got mine put on a 2006 Tech Pkg (which is the ACC/CMBS in all other years), and was advised to let the springs settle for a few days before getting the alignment, contrary to the dealer advice, of getting it done immediately. I got it done by an independent who maintains a relationship with Acura through his old racing days, and still gets product to evaluate including the V6 TSX color keyed European sports grill package, which is a very tasteful variation on the beak... not that this piece will be sold by Acura North America...still under evaluation

Also, see the A-SPEC instructions, because they have the A-Spec suspension alignment specs.
Usually the rule of thumb is drive 100 miles first. Road impacts etc help settle the springs
Old 06-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Drifting

let us know how you like it once it's on and you've had a chance to drive around on it and take some nice turns!!!!
Old 06-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Pro

I see. Thanks for the info. I'm thinking about driving around on a near by mountain road before and after installation to feel the difference. I'll be installing it in a week or so when I have a bit more time, or even next Saturday. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 06-06-2010, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
If I remember correctly, when I had my Aspec installed, it was not just an "easy install" it was a lot more then that. They had to take out the back seat and it wasn't a fast install by any means. I called around to all the differnt dealers and found that Acura of Lynnwood had the best prices, period. You can do what you want, but you are taking a risk if you have it done by a non certified dealer, especially if something should go wrong. As for the alignment, it is a must, the guy that told you otherwise is wrong, but once again, your choice. Good luck with it all, let us know how it turns out and how you like your new handling.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Pro

I would prefer to install it at the dealers, since that was my initial choice, but after getting a quote from two dealers in the area, they all said $600. I can't justify the cost, especially when it is more than what I paid for a new set of A-specs. Somehow, I don't think there are exceptional dealers around my area, both dealers I called didn't know that I was referring to the A-spec suspension, they thought I was asking about the kit, even when I specifically said "price for installing the A-spec suspension." Makes me think that they probably did not work with the suspension a lot. One dealer had to call me back for the price...which could mean that they probably installed VERY few of them...

I guess one reason why I feel comfortable going to a local mechanic that only works on Honda and Acuras is that once I called about the price for installing suspension, the owner (I assume he is) asked if it was the factory A-specs. Which made me think that this guy knows what he's talking about and have done some installations before. Plus, he has 5 star reviews across the board on yelp. And the price is very reasonable at $150.
Old 06-06-2010, 06:33 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by plastikman
If I remember correctly, when I had my Aspec installed, it was not just an "easy install" it was a lot more then that. They had to take out the back seat and it wasn't a fast install by any means. I called around to all the differnt dealers and found that Acura of Lynnwood had the best prices, period. You can do what you want, but you are taking a risk if you have it done by a non certified dealer, especially if something should go wrong. As for the alignment, it is a must, the guy that told you otherwise is wrong, but once again, your choice. Good luck with it all, let us know how it turns out and how you like your new handling.
Yes, you do have to remove the backseat, but not the back deck as the official Acura instructions require (http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/AI/BII31150.pdf), which then require you to start breaking C-Clips and all the attendant issues that brings with potential improper rear passenger air bag deployment if the C-Clips are not replaced properly.

And he did not say "do not align it", he said wait a couple of days for the springs to settle, and for the new rubber strut mounts to settle. His recommendation, after a Saturday install, get it aligned on Monday, and tell them it has A-Spec suspension on it so they can dial in the correct specs. The A-Spec suspension identical alignment specs except for rear Toe-In

Stock
Toe-in
Front: 0.00 in
Rear: 0.08 in

A-Spec
Toe-in
Front: 0±2mm
Rear: 2±2mm

Both stock and A-Spec have the same Camber and Caster specs.
Camber
Front: -0° 08'±30'
Rear: -1° 15'±30'

Caster
Front: 2° 10'±30'
Rear: NA

And the handling, as you know, is very different, and quite a worthwhile improvement. For me, even more so, because losing the PAX tires for the relatively light weight 19's I have gives me 92 lb unsprung weight advantage, which is huge just by itself.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Chas2 - I wasn't referring to you when I was talking about not getting the alignment, but I was referring to sleepinxlionhart's post #17

Old 06-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Senior Moderator

but after getting a quote from two dealers in the area, they all said $600.
Yeah I have to admit that is a bit ridiculous, they should have to follow some kind of a set price, but dealers have the freedom to see their service prices and it can suck. I called around to about four dealers in Washington state and I as well got a couple of prices like you did, but Acura of Lynnwood charged me about $300 I think with alignment. I don't blame you for going with the non dealer, make sure he does it right, but I am sure you will. Good luck.

Last edited by plastikman; 06-06-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Pro

That's not bad, $300 with alignment. If I got a quote like that, I might as well go to the dealer. Maybe I'll call around some more...

Thanks, I'll keep you guys updated.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 PM
Safety Car

Sorry, and I messed up on the specs. .08 inch and 2 mm are the same, so there is no difference between the rear toe!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by plastikman
Chas2 - I wasn't referring to you when I was talking about not getting the alignment, but I was referring to sleepinxlionhart's post #17
So sorry. I should have read more closely.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:40 AM
Racer

all im saying is the mechanics at the dealer are regular people just like shop mechanics.... a good mechanic is a good mechanic regardless of where he works, if you know of one use em and save some money
Old 06-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Safety Car

Depending on where you live, we have a great one down here in Northern VA.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 PM

I actually have a lot more faith in myself than any shop mechanic (within my means, knowledge, of course) because I have more of a stake in getting it right and not breaking things than anyone else.

Nowadays, with the internet and forums like this, there's really no reason any person with opposable thumbs shouldn't be able to stop at sears and pick up a 100 piece craftsman socket set and get MOST things on a car done. Intimidating at first, but after doing it a few times, taking out seats and suspension parts become 2nd nature.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Drifting

there is some truth to all this stuff about good/bad mechanics being anywhere..

i just got my sunroof repaired at the dealer..it was letting too much wind inside the car, so they said they'd replace the defelctor...it still lets wind inside, and now when i push the button to make the sunroof tilt up - it makes this horrible squishing sound it's NEVER made before.. so the cert Acura tech *ucked up my sunroof!

boneheads!
Old 06-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 23109VC
there is some truth to all this stuff about good/bad mechanics being anywhere..

i just got my sunroof repaired at the dealer..it was letting too much wind inside the car, so they said they'd replace the defelctor...it still lets wind inside, and now when i push the button to make the sunroof tilt up - it makes this horrible squishing sound it's NEVER made before.. so the cert Acura tech *ucked up my sunroof!

boneheads!
That's exactly how I feel. I went to the dealers to fix the power adapter that couldn't close. They played around with it, and made it close, but still wasn't like how it used to be. They said they needed to order new parts. When the new parts came in, I spent 2 hours waiting, and the power adapter came out exactly the same as with the old part.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Drifting

the people who built these things in the Japanese factory did it right. anyone else is substandard compared to them...

honestly...suspension is suspension. you can get the stuff installed by anyone. any moron at a rice shop can put it on.... odds are whether the dealer does it or the local shop does it - it will go in fine. it's bolt in stuff.

the only "upside" to the dealer install - is that you get one year warranty through Acura through teh dealer. so if in 6 months one of them leaks, or you start getting clunking or some other problem...you just roll into acura..tell them to fix it and drive off in their loaner... if you have your local guy do it and $hit hits the fan, you have to deal with him....

depends how cheap you can get the dealer to do it. if it wa s$200 atht elocal guy and $600 at the dealer - i'd go to the local guy.

if it's $200 at the local guy and $300 at the dealer - i'd take the dealer...

call a bunch of places and then try to get them to match the lowest price at your local dealer.. i think someone got aspec put in for about $400 at the dealer...

if you can get it in for $200 or under at the local shop... i might let them do it...

$200 would get you a lot of beer...

Quick Reply: Installing A-spec suspension at dealer, advice?