Impressed... but not quite

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:51 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Impressed... but not quite

No, this is not another car review. It's about my experience yesterday with Rick Case Acura's service department...

I took my RL in yesterday morning for the recall work and I'll start by saying I was VERY impressed with the service and attention I received when I checked in. There were no less than 3 people helping to expedite the process and write up my paperwork. My service writer was tied up and someone else actually did the paperwork on his behalf. This is above and beyond what I've ever experienced from Lexus or Infiniti. Acura is obviously stepping up!

The not-so-impressive part was when I was given the loaner car. I was required to sign a sheet with "rules", including having to bring the car back with gas equal to what was in the tank when I took it , plus I they wanted my credit card for a $500 damage deposit. Sorry, but this is tacky to do to someone who has purchased a $50k automobile, and I've never experienced it from Lexus or Infiniti. (BTW, the loaner was an MDX which was perfectly fine.)

Acura has come a long way during the past few years, but IMHO they still have a ways to go.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Each dealership is different. Some will give you a Cavalier, others will laugh at the idea of a loaner and every once in a while you get a nice replacement. I've seen it all, hopefully Acura corporate will weed out the bad ones.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:25 AM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by dseag2
Sorry, but this is tacky to do to someone who has purchased a $50k automobile, and I've never experienced it from Lexus or Infiniti. (BTW, the loaner was an MDX which was perfectly fine.)
You may be surprised to know this, but Acura has more dealerships than Lexus. That is because when Honda started Acura, they were looking for quantity moreso than quality. So every other Honda dealership became an Acura dealership randomly.

Lexus, on the other hand, started out by emphasizing quality. Toyota hand picked which Toyota dealership was to be converted to Lexus. So you get a more uniform structure across Lexus dealerships, whereas with Acura you get the exemplary ones, and the rogue ones.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:32 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Each dealership is different. Some will give you a Cavalier, others will laugh at the idea of a loaner and every once in a while you get a nice replacement. I've seen it all, hopefully Acura corporate will weed out the bad ones.
My local Acura dealer presented a letter to me (when I bought by RL), stating that they guarantee either a TL or a MDX as the loaner when I bring my car in for service. In addition, they will have the car washed each time and will provide lunch at a nice bistro (next to the dealer).

Maybe that is why we pay too much for the car in Canada
Old 02-23-2005, 11:51 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by dseag2
The not-so-impressive part was when I was given the loaner car. I was required to sign a sheet with "rules", including having to bring the car back with gas equal to what was in the tank when I took it , plus I they wanted my credit card for a $500 damage deposit. Sorry, but this is tacky to do to someone who has purchased a $50k automobile, and I've never experienced it from Lexus or Infiniti. (BTW, the loaner was an MDX which was perfectly fine.)

Acura has come a long way during the past few years, but IMHO they still have a ways to go.
dseag2,

I really can't beleive that they had the nerve to ask for a damage deposit for a loaner. In fact, if you had to provide proof of insurance then you should not have been asked for a damage deposit. If they are assuming full responsibility with the damage deposit and you didn't have to provide insurance then it was a much better option. I have never had to provide a card for any loaner ever, just to drive a car while mine is in service.

I was told that Acura was providing the loaners for the Acura dealers nowadays. I wish I knew how to conform this. Are dealers allowed to set there own policies if the car is provided by the manufacturer?
Old 02-23-2005, 12:24 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hou-RL
dseag2,

I really can't beleive that they had the nerve to ask for a damage deposit for a loaner. In fact, if you had to provide proof of insurance then you should not have been asked for a damage deposit. If they are assuming full responsibility with the damage deposit and you didn't have to provide insurance then it was a much better option. I have never had to provide a card for any loaner ever, just to drive a car while mine is in service.

I was told that Acura was providing the loaners for the Acura dealers nowadays. I wish I knew how to conform this. Are dealers allowed to set there own policies if the car is provided by the manufacturer?
They took copies of my driver's license and insurance card as well. This was even before asking for the credit card imprint.
Old 02-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Acura has more dealers than Lexus? How many do each have?

Infiniti has like 170.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by snowbound
My local Acura dealer presented a letter to me (when I bought by RL), stating that they guarantee either a TL or a MDX as the loaner when I bring my car in for service. In addition, they will have the car washed each time and will provide lunch at a nice bistro (next to the dealer).

Maybe that is why we pay too much for the car in Canada
That is a pretty nice deal...I wish more did this. I can't complain though...my dealer is great.

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
This is true...we work with the General Service Manager at Acura of Portland, and I can't say enough good things. Since the beginning we've received EXCELLENT service, but here recently, since the remodel, they go above and beyond. They had never been bad, they just needed some work to get to a "luxury" level. I think with the atmosphere being decidingly upscale, there had been some reforms for customer service. The experience truely is luxurious now.

Now, we know our rep on a more personal level. During Christmas break, the RL went in to get a scheduled service done, and since the appointment was made last minute, we were not able to get a loaner car. However, our service rep (the general service manager) called up Enterprise, and told them to bring four cars for us to choose from: a Nissan Altima, Ford Escape, Ford Explorer, or a brand new Hemi Dodge Durango. When we came back to pick up the RL, the service rep apologized again about the vehicle situation, but hoped that we made do with the choices.

Here recently, the electrochromic mirror has been "dying". The elements seem to be dying, slowly but surely, creeping across the entire mirror. We called our service rep and told her we'd need our mirror replaced and that we needed to order and pay for the part, and then set up the appointment to get it installed. She said don't worry about the cost ($400 or so) that all we needed to pick up was the $50 service charge. She said this has rarely happened on RLs, so it was on them.

I'd say the service at my dealer is on par with Lexus...it's just phenomenal.
From rl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233
Old 02-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Spud, who is your dealer? Ron Tonkin? Acura of Portland?
Old 02-23-2005, 03:11 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Spud, who is your dealer? Ron Tonkin? Acura of Portland?
Acura of Portland. Work with Kim Savage and Duane Phillips...both are GREAT. Think we'll be getting the new RL from Duane.
Old 02-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by jrock65
Acura has more dealers than Lexus? How many do each have?

Infiniti has like 170.
Infiniti - 169
Lexus - 206
Acura - 263

You can see the graph in this link (it's also an interesting read about Acura):

http://www.forbes.com/2004/02/23/cx_dl_0223feat.html