IL Tollway and speeding tickets (by mail)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 262 Likes on 186 Posts
IL Tollway and speeding tickets (by mail)

Just today I heard of a guy getting a speeding ticket in the mail based on the times he entered the highway and the time he exited the highway when both times his iPass registered times ... according to the letter he traveled at the average speed of 81mph and was issued a speeding ticket of $300 due to speeding. He states he ended up paying the ticket to the time constraints and not wanting to deal with it.

I somehow do not believe this is taking place - at least not yet and I wrote a question to IL State Police (included below) - I will report on the follow-up:

Hello,

I recently heard from a friend of mine how their co-worker received a speeding ticket in the mail based on time when that person entered highway and what time they exited from that highway. According to this "story" letter broke down calculation that they had to travel at average speed of 81mph to accomplish the times shown in the letter and ended up receiving a speeding ticket in the amount of $300.

At the time when I signed up for iPass I was assured that no tracking is taking place but it is rather convenience not to have change in my car at all times if I use Tollway often. At that time sale person compared the iPass to a credit card - it is not cash but pays what you want it to pay (in this case tollway).

This being said, can you please comment and/or clarify on this instance if this has any true and if iPass transmitter devices technology is used to calculate such information as average speed to issue speeding tickets?

Note: Reason I am asking this is not speeding as I do not speed ever but drive in same speeds as everyone else - but for privacy reasons as I was not let know about this at the time of signing up with iPass.

I appreciate the clarification.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:50 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Originally Posted by rl015
Just today I heard of a guy getting a speeding ticket in the mail based on the times he entered the highway and the time he exited the highway when both times his iPass registered times ... according to the letter he traveled at the average speed of 81mph and was issued a speeding ticket of $300 due to speeding. He states he ended up paying the ticket to the time constraints and not wanting to deal with it.

I somehow do not believe this is taking place - at least not yet and I wrote a question to IL State Police (included below) - I will report on the follow-up:

Hello,

I recently heard from a friend of mine how their co-worker received a speeding ticket in the mail based on time when that person entered highway and what time they exited from that highway. According to this "story" letter broke down calculation that they had to travel at average speed of 81mph to accomplish the times shown in the letter and ended up receiving a speeding ticket in the amount of $300.

At the time when I signed up for iPass I was assured that no tracking is taking place but it is rather convenience not to have change in my car at all times if I use Tollway often. At that time sale person compared the iPass to a credit card - it is not cash but pays what you want it to pay (in this case tollway).

This being said, can you please comment and/or clarify on this instance if this has any true and if iPass transmitter devices technology is used to calculate such information as average speed to issue speeding tickets?

Note: Reason I am asking this is not speeding as I do not speed ever but drive in same speeds as everyone else - but for privacy reasons as I was not let know about this at the time of signing up with iPass.

I appreciate the clarification.
Urban legend. The only place that was ever done was on the Helmstedt/Berlin autobahn for US servicemembers during the cold war.

Once checked in on one end by the MPs, you were allotted a certain amount of time to get to the next western checkpoint. IIRC, there was a 30 minute leeway - 15 minutes late and they sent a patrol - 15 minutes early and you got a speeding ticket.