View Poll Results: What do you think of bigger?
Keep it reasonably sized. I'm happy with a higher end, nicely sized car.
65.63%
I'm all for a land-yacht! Go back to 1G boat on wheels and I'm all in!
34.38%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

If the 3G turns beefy (bigger) would you be all in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 12:42 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
If the 3G turns beefy (bigger) would you be all in?

I know this poll isn't perfect.

But let's say the 3G RL went back to the "bigger" feel of the 1G what would your reaction be?

We all know that Acura pinned their hopes on making the 2G a bit smaller. Hey, empty nesters, DINKs, and one kid families don't need a monster back seat and trunk. This new 2G RL is totally going to appeal to the non-boat wanting crowd!

Subsequently lots of auto press dinged the RL moaning about how small the trunk and backseat is. No consideration given to hey maybe people don't want a boat. Because it's "expensive" and "flagship" it should be cavernous. You didn't read many comments like "gee, we really love the smaller nimble size" but hey that's the American mindset. Bigger must equal better.

So now the TL is practically RL size ... what would you like in the 3G? Not that our opinions matter

Would you be into a land yacht 3G?
Old 06-11-2010, 12:45 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
make the RL fight against the 7 series and S class etc
Old 06-11-2010, 12:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Slightly bigger than the current RL would be fine, with a boost in power. If it's a floaty land yacht, forget it. It needs to retain some sportiness for me to buy one. After owning an 05 RL, I won't be buying the first model year either.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
If it gets much bigger, I think I might pass. I like the size and the feel of my Gen2 RL.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,400 Likes on 704 Posts
Cool Tweener

w/ the 4th generation TL slotted b/n entry level & mid level luxury (think 3 series & 5 series) I would think that the RL should move slightly up as well & slot somewhere between the likes of the 5 series & 7 series.

I ponder if they can keep the RL a midsize & offer a "long" variant for those wanting a full-size sedan?

I do worry if Acura has the brand cache to pull off a successful and expensive full-size flagship sedan. Perhaps they should keep it around the 5 series level & if it is successful, then launch a 7 series fighter .....
Old 06-11-2010, 02:48 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I do not think Acura will try to target existing flagships and copy them with the next RL. Hyundai is very successfully cannibalizing the former Japanese model. I believe Acura will attempt to redefine or introduce a new category of flagship. I think they need to become significant in some manner.

I am wagering on the Honda Dualnote / Acura DNX concept. Many attributes made it into our gen RL except the dual electric motors integrated with the SHAWD and V6. The claims are for 400+hp w/ 50+mpg. That alone would leapfrog existing flagships in efficiency while offering category like performance.

http://world.honda.com/Tokyo2001/auto/DUALNOTE/

If Acura does break the copy trend of flagship mentality, I expect a technology laden vehicle with an impressive performance while offering class leading (by a significant margin) efficiency....and of course top level safety ratings.

Size wise, I like the current size. An inch or two more to make it true large car class by NHTSA standards (at least bigger than the current Accord). And more important to me than added inches would be more room between the front and rear wheels, which would benefit rear seat room. But please no front and rear tack ons to make it longer but exaggerate the overhang.

Last, no matter what the soul and content of the car is, if Acura does not mature in styling....I will not pay for it, period.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Stealth Stylin'

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
The best new feature to me would be the addition of IMA. The 2G RL might be quoted at 300hp, but with the weight & loss of power through AWD, we're only getting maybe 200 @ the wheels. Kick it up to 400+ with electric assist, add a few more inches to the inside cabin (rear leg and/or hip room), and boost the MPG to 30+ city. You would have a competitor to Lexus for sure.

Tech-wise, add the auto-parallel-parking feature, blind-side detection, CVT w/agressive and economy modes, fingerprint or remote unlock, free automatic Nav updates through flash memory, and maybe even a chilled cooler compartment big enough for two bottles.

Styling - The 3G back is okay, but the 2G front was better. I'm okay with fairly ambiguous styling; its everything else that makes the RL a true bargain.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 208 Likes on 187 Posts
how do you know the 3G back is okay? it hasnt even been released yet. your probably thinking about the MMC.
Old 06-12-2010, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by romrunning
The best new feature to me would be the addition of IMA. The 2G RL might be quoted at 300hp, but with the weight & loss of power through AWD, we're only getting maybe 200 @ the wheels. Kick it up to 400+ with electric assist, add a few more inches to the inside cabin (rear leg and/or hip room), and boost the MPG to 30+ city. You would have a competitor to Lexus for sure.

Tech-wise, add the auto-parallel-parking feature, blind-side detection, CVT w/agressive and economy modes, fingerprint or remote unlock, free automatic Nav updates through flash memory, and maybe even a chilled cooler compartment big enough for two bottles.

Styling - The 3G back is okay, but the 2G front was better. I'm okay with fairly ambiguous styling; its everything else that makes the RL a true bargain.
you're definitely thinking 2.5G. not 3g.
Old 06-13-2010, 01:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Slightly more rear room would be good.
Significantly more power would also be good. I'm hoping for Dual-Note myself. 400 hp + 40 mpg FTW
Lots of tech goodies.
Land yacht handling would be FTL, must keep SH-AWD and tight handling, ala 5- or 7-series.

If those, you'll see me own a new Acura again. If not, you won't and the next time around I may have to (shudder) consider Infiniti or (bigger shudder) the Germans. Or a used 2005-2008 RL.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
I do prefer the more stately look of the 1G RL myself.

mine gets confused with an S class all the time.

just with it had an extra 100 horses or so though.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:50 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm pretty happy with the current size of the RL. Upscale it even more, give it some more power, and I'd be in line for one. Having said that, I don't think that's what they should probably do. I think they need to upsize it to give the car more rear seat and trunk space room. It needs to be their flagship and thus needs to share attributes of their competitors flagships. A RWD version and larger length are it's shortcomings. I wouldn't hold my breath for a simpler RWD version, but size/more power should be on their to-do list.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my second Acura. I am prepared to buy a third one if Acura can get its act together.

The current LEGEND is just about perfectly sized. A stretch version might gain some market share, but not with me. I'd buy a fuel-efficient hybrid in a second. While we're at it, a quieter cabin, a little more stiffness in the turns and a smoother drivetrain. Keep the comfort and techno-toys.

Most importantly: lose the hideously edgy (i.e., current TL) styling, or lose me. That point is non-negotiable. Acura's current styling direction is totally misguided.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
I'd prefer Acura make the RL an A8 or 7 series competitor in general size, marketing position and features.

I have a 1G RL, I love the general look of it. Its like a Legend mixed with a 7 series and a Lexus.

Oh and the 1G RL actually weighs slightly less than the 2nd gen
Old 06-17-2010, 04:33 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they improved their marketing and got design on board with what sells they could sell anything.

Acura/Honda fails mostly in their advertising department. The RL ads were bland as the car. So go figure it sold poorly.

They should, sell it like other car companies do. Showing you it do things you'd never do with it.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by rob-2
If they improved their marketing and got design on board with what sells they could sell anything.

Acura/Honda fails mostly in their advertising department. The RL ads were bland as the car. So go figure it sold poorly.

They should, sell it like other car companies do. Showing you it do things you'd never do with it.
and

Honda is quite obviously run by engineers, not marketers. That is both a good thing, and a not so good thing. We get awesome products like the 2G RL--probably the best car I had the pleasure to own--but awful marketing and, lately, awkward looks.