I should have done more research...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 04:12 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I should have done more research...

It's official, I am regreting the purchase of a used 05 RL with 48,000 two months ago. My fault for not doing more research on this model.

Got it near the end of May after my 98 Q45 was rear ended (totaled).

From the 1st day I had this car I noticed a growling transmission noise around 35-50 MPH. Only happens in 5th and only with a slight load on the transmission.

Wipers needed replaced within a week. Must have dry rotted sitting on the lot for 7 months? Had to order through dealer because I could'nt find replacements at local auto zone or parts america even the honda dealer didnt have the right sizes.

Within a few weeks the AFS warning light came on. Drove the 100+ miles to the dealer to have that looked at. They replace an AFS lighting system unit under warranty but forgot to delete the AFS message. Had them diagnose the growling transmission but neither the tech or myself could reproduce it. Of course I have reproduced it several times since.

I have the door handles that unlock then lock again real quick. Its frustrating to have to pull on the handle 3-4 times before it will open. Im getting used to using the key fob to unlock it now.

I have several interior buttons (Steering wheel volume is the worst) where the rubbery coating is rubbing off the button. I compare it the the pealing you'd see on a bad sunburn. In comparison, the buttons on my 10 year old Q45 looked like new on its way to the junkyard.

And to top it all off I have an A/C that likes to blow hot air the last couple days.

I suppose the silver lining here is that with the 5% increase in mileage warranty I still have time to have these issues looked at for free!

On my next trip to the dealer I will have them look at the growling noise, the door handles, the AFS message, and the air conditioner.

I looked at trade in value just for kicks and OH MY GOODNESS! I am stuck with this baby for a while.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:57 PM
05 Acura RL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What did you pay for it? Because you could probably sell it privately for quite a bit still. I love mine but I just bought it with only 18K miles and doesn't have any of the problems you described except the steering wheel pealing off on the channel + button, which really doesn't matter to me. But I can see where the little things like that mounting up and becoming frustrating, especially when you just invested a bunch of money on a new car.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:30 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
someone beat the living shit out of that car before you got it, so no...didn't need more research on the reliability acura and honda are known for!! but more research into the particular car you ended up with...o well.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:33 PM
TellinItLikeItIsSince1/06

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Gabe15
My fault for not doing more research on this model.

2005 is 3 years old x 13000 avg mi/yr= 39,000...you have a decent amount of miles for your year.

im doubting you need to question the reliability honda and acura are known for, but do more research on your particular car and VIN you purchased. looks like someone really beat the shit out that thing before you got it...o well.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts
sorry to hear of your troubles. I bought an 05 with 43k miles on it in May and haven't had any problems (knock on wood). I'm not sure of the deal you got for your car, but if it was certified I'm pretty sure you can go to any acura dealer for service. Hopefully, there is a closer dealer for you.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues.

The door handles and AC are known issues and can be repaired under warranty. No biggus for either other than that with the AC repair, you may be out of your car for a while--parts are tough to come by for some reason.

You'll have to describe the growling of the tranny a little better. In 5th gear at 35-50 mph, the engine is lugging a little bit as it's turning at only about 1500 rpm. This leads to a noticeable drone which can be annoying, but normal.

The steering wheel buttons seem to be a variable issue occasionally reported on this site. I don't have this problem with 30k miles on my 2006 RL. The buttons can be replaced under warranty.

The AFS light I don't recall as a generalized problem.

This is one of the problems with buying used--you don't know whether the prior owner simply dumped the car rather than having all these minor issues dealt with in one visit to the dealer. I suspect that once these issues are resolved, you'll enjoy the car a lot better. I think part of the issue is that you have a 100 mile drive to the dealer! That sure wouldn't make me happy, either--mine is only two miles from my house.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:04 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by neuronbob
This is one of the problems with buying used--you don't know whether the prior owner simply dumped the car rather than having all these minor issues dealt with in one visit to the dealer. I suspect that once these issues are resolved, you'll enjoy the car a lot better. I think part of the issue is that you have a 100 mile drive to the dealer! That sure wouldn't make me happy, either--mine is only two miles from my house.
Ditto
Old 07-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Moto Enthusiast

Buying used can actually put you ahead financially because someone else has taken the majority of the depreciation hit. Of course, this mainly holds true if your car is not problematic.

Anyhow, I've experienced all the things you've mentioned except for the "growling transmission" issue. I feel for you though, especially when you mentioned looking at trade or used values for this car. It's sticker shock isn't it (and not the good kind either)?

Since you are under warranty, I'd definitely take it back to the dealer. Since you live far away, maybe do it on a Fri or weekend if they're open and get a loaner car from them. The A/C issue alone can take them all day to fix and even longer if they don't have the parts.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:11 PM
Instructor

A/C didnt work at all today over lunch. No difference in temperature when switching from vent to A/C. I called to make an appointment but the receptionist came back on to say the service dept was busy so she took my name and number.

Thanks for the heads up nueronbob. Didnt think of mentioning the buttons to the service dept. I don't know why but I figured those wouldnt be covered.

I did buy a carfax report on this vin. Nothing alarming there.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
sounds like the previous owner didn't get all the known glitches fixed.
Once fixed, I think you will be happy with the car. I'm close to 80K miles and running well
Old 07-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Instructor

I hope so because I have to admit, I felt really lucky to be able to grab a car this nice. Its fast, handles well, and carries my wife and kids comfortably, heck Im even using the blue tooth on it. Initially I went there to look at a 1 or 2 year old TL. Felt like I won the lottery when I discovered I could get into an RL.

"growling of the tranny" happens when I have to coast through a rural town. Usually a 45 MPH zone. While coasting I'm at around 1100-1200 RPM or so. Once the speedlimit goes back to 55 and I give heavy gas no problem the tranny down shifts to 4th but if I just give light gas the RPM kind of sticks at 1400 and makes a "clearing of the throat sound". Its loud enough to hear over the radio. Lately Ive noticed around town I can get it to happen at speeds as low as 35.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
I hope so because I have to admit, I felt really lucky to be able to grab a car this nice. Its fast, handles well, and carries my wife and kids comfortably, heck Im even using the blue tooth on it. Initially I went there to look at a 1 or 2 year old TL. Felt like I won the lottery when I discovered I could get into an RL.

"growling of the tranny" happens when I have to coast through a rural town. Usually a 45 MPH zone. While coasting I'm at around 1100-1200 RPM or so. Once the speedlimit goes back to 55 and I give heavy gas no problem the tranny down shifts to 4th but if I just give light gas the RPM kind of sticks at 1400 and makes a "clearing of the throat sound". Its loud enough to hear over the radio. Lately Ive noticed around town I can get it to happen at speeds as low as 35.
Sounds like the torque converter lock-up. It's a design characteristic. Like you said if you give it more gas it downshifts right away. It's just one of those slightly annoying things.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 AM
05 Acura RL

This may be a stupid idea but are you driving it in D3 instead of D? I did this when I first got mine and it made that same sound. Once I realized it just needed to be in regular drive it drove like a champ. Just a thought but you're probably not as dumb as I.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:26 AM
Instructor

RE:This may be a stupid idea but are you driving it in D3 instead of D? I did this when I first got mine and it made that same sound. Once I realized it just needed to be in regular drive it drove like a champ. Just a thought but you're probably not as dumb as I.

Good question but no I leave it in D. I dont even know what D3 is. I've never used it. I assumed it was either for towing or downhill descent.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Instructor

Car was at the dealer for a couple days and I have to admit I really missed it while it was there even though they gave me a new MDX as a loaner.

They couldnt reproduce the noise I hear around 1400 RPM and since I had complained about it before they changed the transmission fluid for me. My fault for not going on another ride with the tech cause I can still hear it.

They took the AFS message off

The door handle issue was user error on my part. I was touching the sensor on the inside of the handle as well as the dimple sensor on the outside of the handle causing the door to unlock then lock before I could get the door open. I dont have any problems getting in with this feature now.

Steering wheel buttons are not replaceable under warranty according them. Over $1000 to replace the 5 buttons that were wearing out.

They fixed the A/C. Similar problem others with an 05 have had. Field coil replaced.

So while I am not 100 percent satisfied since I still have a noise and the buttons arent perfect I can live with it. I was still under 52,500 so I literally didnt pay the dealer a cent for the service. I am not regretting my purchase anymore and after being without it for a couple days it made me realize how much I do like this car.

Happy RL owner.
Old 08-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 168 Likes on 140 Posts
I would have thought the steering wheel buttons would be covered. In fact, I would think everything in the car would be covered, no matter how miniscule, as long as it's under warranty.

Might be worth arguing with the dealer a bit.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:18 PM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

I think they will mark it up to wear & tear.
Old 08-29-2008, 06:59 PM
Instructor

As far as that "transmission growl" at 30 mph, this is a longshot, but I seem to remember reading something in the Acura service Bulletins that are on this site--I think within the past year--about a noise from the driveshaft support bearing. Check it out. It is a warrantied repair.
Old 08-31-2008, 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,617 Likes on 2,195 Posts
Steering wheel buttons are not replaceable under warranty according them. Over $1000 to replace the 5 buttons that were wearing out.
WOW. I would have thought that the buttons would be covered. Thankful the labels on mine haven't worn yet.