I know you guys hate it, but I'm buying one

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know you guys hate it, but I'm buying one

I'm sorry, but I love everything I've read about the '09. The new features add some items I really, really wanted (cooling for the seats, in particular), unlike everybody else - I like the new styling, and I've been too happy with Acura/Honda products for too long to go to BMW or Infiniti. I still think it is better vehicle overall than the BMW/Audi/MB products that cost thousands more.

The ONLY think Acura has to do to convince me is to keep prices low. Given that there have been steep incentives for a long time, I'll take a bath on resale if I pay anywhere close to normal discounted values.

So, if we see the tech model seeling for $43,000 to $44,000 in the LA area, one will be in my garage shortly.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:01 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Congrats. Styling is subjective, but mechanically they've improved a car that many of us really like.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:02 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Congrats!

As long as YOU are happy, that is most important. Your money, your car, your happiness.

We'll look forward to reliving the RL honeymoon with you.

I'll try not to poke too much fun at you darth.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
I'm sorry, but I love everything I've read about the '09. The new features add some items I really, really wanted (cooling for the seats, in particular), unlike everybody else - I like the new styling, and I've been too happy with Acura/Honda products for too long to go to BMW or Infiniti. I still think it is better vehicle overall than the BMW/Audi/MB products that cost thousands more.

The ONLY think Acura has to do to convince me is to keep prices low. Given that there have been steep incentives for a long time, I'll take a bath on resale if I pay anywhere close to normal discounted values.

So, if we see the tech model seeling for $43,000 to $44,000 in the LA area, one will be in my garage shortly.
I hated it at first, but it grows on you! Plus, they did put some real improvements in this model. If I could trade up, I would...but can't afford to lose any more $$. Tell us your experience when they are available. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2008, 03:00 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
You've got nothing to apologize for ... if you like it that's all that counts.

And there's no question the '09 has lots going for it in terms of equipment and extras.

Get it and post some pictures!

Old 02-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Our lease is up this year, so, I guess we will be getting an 09 since there is nothing in the price range I think is better. I guess I will close my eyes until I get in it tomato:
Old 02-21-2008, 03:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Don't worry, we will welcome you when you purchase. After all, you will have all the goodies we asked Acura to add to the RL. Think of us long-suffering 05-08 owners during the summer when the ventilated seats cool your butt.

As long as you like it, what the rest of us think about its looks doesn't matter at all.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:51 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats!!

You are not alone. I'll be buying/leasing an '09 this Fall. I can't wait!

Anyone know a definite date when they will arrive at dealerships? I'm anxious to test drive one and compare it w/ the '08.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:14 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by jwaters943
Congrats!!

Anyone know a definite date when they will arrive at dealerships? I'm anxious to test drive one and compare it w/ the '08.
From what I've reading, it is supposed to hit dealerships in April. What I've found in the past, with the RL, is that they come in at a fairly slow pace. Dealers will want to get rid of the 2008 before they started ordering 2009s.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Indian Acura Driver

I like how Canada got COOLED seats on the base RL starting from 05.....

Congratulations, go for it. After all, when you're driving, you won't see it!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Brown Chaos
Congratulations, go for it. After all, when you're driving, you won't see it!
But you will FEEL it! More power, cooled seats, better nav, better sound...
Old 02-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Racer

From what I've reading, it is supposed to hit dealerships in April. What I've found in the past, with the RL, is that they come in at a fairly slow pace. Dealers will want to get rid of the 2008 before they started ordering 2009s.
Yep, I'm seeing the same info, April/May. However, the dealers already started to order their 09's already....
Old 02-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Racer

Yep, I'm seeing the same info, April/May. However, the dealers already started to order 09's already....
Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Pro

Good for you, you will love the car.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Racer

No need to apologize. It's your money and you can spend it on any car you want! Best of luck with it and as other's have said, post pictures and reviews!
Old 02-22-2008, 06:45 AM
Alpha Geek

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
From what I've reading, it is supposed to hit dealerships in April.
Looks like something already hit it.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:37 AM
Proboscis-free zone

If you love it, then great, go for it. Plus, you never know, the designers may be doing a fast fix on the front grille after getting all the, ahem, "feedback." It could turn out even nicer than you think. The interior rocks and it is still an RL with all of its wonderful charms. Please keep us informed, inquiring minds want to know!
Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
I have to admit, at first I hated the "new" look, but as time goes on it grows on you. I will have to go to the dealer and see it first hand, maybe they will change the grill before they release it . . . . . . you never know.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,613 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Yeah, I'm hoping it's at the Cleveland Auto Show which begins tomorrow. I'm planning on seeing the beast for myself. You never know....the interior already gets the neuronbob

Unfortunately, Cleveland is one of those auto shows that Acura never sends its A-list materials or show cars to, so I'm not hopeful.

Edit: Just looked at the floorplan. Acura's display is next to Honda, Suzuki, and Hyundai. It's across from Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati, and Lotus. Mmmmm......Maserati Quattroporte......
Old 02-22-2008, 12:02 PM
Trolling Canuckistan

Received 811 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by plastikman
I have to admit, at first I hated the "new" look, but as time goes on it grows on you. I will have to go to the dealer and see it first hand, maybe they will change the grill before they release it . . . . . . you never know.
The only thing I didn't like about the new MDX was the grill. That was until I saw it and person, and it didn't bother me anymore. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the RL will be able to do the same thing.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:38 PM
Not an Ashtray

I still think the real issue for potential buyers like me is likely to be price. I will be hard to motivate myself to buy an RL without all the incentives. It is not that I don't think the car is worth it, it is more of a resale issue. The RL, according to KBB.com, retains its market value OK, but not to the same extent as the TL and TSX. All those years of the incentives have reduce the typical excellent Acura resale value to value that is simply good. So, I'm not really willing to overpay too much on the frontend.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:18 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I still think the real issue for potential buyers like me is likely to be price. I will be hard to motivate myself to buy an RL without all the incentives. It is not that I don't think the car is worth it, it is more of a resale issue. The RL, according to KBB.com, retains its market value OK, but not to the same extent as the TL and TSX. All those years of the incentives have reduce the typical excellent Acura resale value to value that is simply good. So, I'm not really willing to overpay too much on the frontend.
Resale is certainly a legitimate issue ... especially considering they will be releasing a new body style in a year or two. If you're like me, and trade cars a lot, an '09 could be a car that would leave a sour taste in your mouth. "Stump-year" cars have never fared very well in the resale marketplace anyway, and sadly, I don't see this one doing as well as some others.

If, OTOH, you tend to keep cars while, there's little question it's a good vehicle and one you'll get lots of happy miles out of.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:33 PM
Instructor

I really think the FMC won't be out for at least 2 more years -if not more-, to coincide with Acura's launch in Japan. The current MMC changes are just too extensive and expensive for just 1-2 more years run IMHO.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I do agree with that! Lets just hope it is not almost 10 years as the last RL!
Old 02-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
Resale is certainly a legitimate issue ... especially considering they will be releasing a new body style in a year or two. If you're like me, and trade cars a lot, an '09 could be a car that would leave a sour taste in your mouth. "Stump-year" cars have never fared very well in the resale marketplace anyway, and sadly, I don't see this one doing as well as some others.

If, OTOH, you tend to keep cars while, there's little question it's a good vehicle and one you'll get lots of happy miles out of.

I usually keep my car between 5 - 8 years, and put about 90,000 on them. Never leased a car in my life, and in fact, never fianced one either (I buy it in cash, and then start saving for a new one the next day). So, I'm not too concerned about the immediate turn around.
Old 02-22-2008, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by neuronbob
Yeah, I'm hoping it's at the Cleveland Auto Show which begins tomorrow. I'm planning on seeing the beast for myself. You never know....the interior already gets the neuronbob

Unfortunately, Cleveland is one of those auto shows that Acura never sends its A-list materials or show cars to, so I'm not hopeful.

Edit: Just looked at the floorplan. Acura's display is next to Honda, Suzuki, and Hyundai. It's across from Jaguar, Land Rover, Maserati, and Lotus. Mmmmm......Maserati Quattroporte......
I live in Cleveland also so please let us know if the new RL is at the show.
Old 02-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jwaters943
Congrats!!

haha nice.. looks like people are coming out of the closet..
Old 02-22-2008, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by cai06
I really think the FMC won't be out for at least 2 more years -if not more-, to coincide with Acura's launch in Japan. The current MMC changes are just too extensive and expensive for just 1-2 more years run IMHO.
The replacement for the RL is coming next year as an '10 model regardless of what others are saying.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:46 PM
Pro

BS! That would make no sense whatsoever. Honda/Acura would not invest the money in a refresh as significant as the '09 RL refresh if they were releasing a completely new model in 18 months time.

Either way, time will tell, but I'll be the first to say I told you so. Feel free to do the same if it turns out you're right.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by neuronbob

Yes, please report back and if it is there, was it unlocked so people can sit inside? If so, I might drive up from Cols to see it...our show never gets the newer stuff...
Old 02-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rexorg
The replacement for the RL is coming next year as an '10 model regardless of what others are saying.
Not so sure about that.. you are probably confusing calendar year with model year. I think in that interview with Colliver in Detroit they were talking about calendat year 2010.
It wouldn't make sense to replace the "most expensive MMC in Honda's history" after a year. That would mean that by now they must have an almost finished pre-production FMC RL for testing, programming and fine-tuning. Considering the fact that the current MMC is not yet in the showrooms, that would be very-unlikely.
Even on the over-optimistic side , if they sell say 600 MMC RL's this year they still wouldn't come even financially.
As you can read here even the NSX is ahead of the FMC RL. Considering that the NSX is still on the drawing boards, that means the FMC RL is not even a prototype. So my guess is AT LEAST two more years before we see a FMC RL..

Janury 2008:
[Even though Honda has confirmed the next-generation Acura NSX for 2010, Acura designers still can’t decide on the look for the successor of the iconic sports car. “All of the designers are working together on the NSX, but they can’t agree on the styling,” Dick Colliver, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., said at the Detroit auto show. Colliver said that the design of the next NSX is very critical for it to compete in the high-end sports car segment, with domestic competitors being the Nissan GT-R and the Lexus IS-F. “The original NSX was a great car, but we didn’t keep up with the design,” Colliver said. “We must get it right. We must have the right image. A lot of it is perception with the customer.” What we know so far is that it is expected to be powered by a V10 unit producing above 500 horsepower."
“The NSX is a little bit ahead of the RL,” Colliver said. “We still have time to get it together.” The successor of the RL is scheduled to be replaced in 2010]
<-- last sentence is the journalist's note.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:13 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I would have to agree. I think the next FMC may be annonced in 2010, but likley not released as a 2010 model.

If the 2009 MMC was announced in 2/08 and the FMC follows suit with an early 2010 debut, that looks like a 1 year timeframe. If the FMC is released in late 2010 as a 2011 MY, then it does fit the discussion, while actually giving the 2009 MMC a 2.5 year run. This needs a Gant chat to depict!

I know Honda has never expected the LEGEND / RL to be a big profit maker, or perhaps any profit as it is a showcase vehicle. We DO see much of the RLs elements trickling down through Acura and into Honda models. So it may have served it's purpose.

I now wonder if the 2009 MMC is in fact a styling showcase to similarly see what works and what does not, so it may be the styling mule for future Acura designs. Obviouly Acura styling is not solidified as the NSX style has aready been revisited (and delaying the earlier target releases) to change styling directions.

If the RL is not making money and serves mostly as a showcase model, why not take the crap shoot with styling and throw it all on the 2009MMC and see how the cards land. The 2009 MMC may be a test model to determine what direction to take with the FMC?

For those who do appreciate the styling of the 2009 MMC, more power to you. The rest of us from < 2009 understand what it is like to be part of the minority in appreciating this well engineered vehicle.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To each their own I always say! I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my 05. I agree with other posts in regards to exterior styling and I am not sold, will have to see it in person for sure. I have low mileage still and got an excellent deal at the end of the 05 year so will hang on to mine. Personally waiting for a 'significant' power increase, and without being blasphemous, a V8!!!!
Good luck!!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:17 PM
Racer

I think it will be a lot better than the tsx, no matter what the new styling looks like. I say this having driven a tsx as a loaner. I wasn't too impressed with the ride or the handling. Plus I think the new style will grow on everyone.
Old 03-01-2008, 10:24 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gcook
I think it will be a lot better than the tsx, no matter what the new styling looks like. I say this having driven a tsx as a loaner. I wasn't too impressed with the ride or the handling. Plus I think the new style will grow on everyone.

You didn't seriously just mention the TSX and The RL in a comparison did you? No matter what, there is a 20k difference in price and that puts the RL way out of the TSX's league.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:02 PM
Racer

I metioned the tsx cuz that is what his tag says he is driving currently, so I said of course an RL would be much better, especially since I have experienced both.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Oh, ok, I gotcha.