Huge gash on my door by a SUV. How?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 12:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Huge gash on my door by a SUV. How?

Today is the last day of school for both my kids and I decided to leave work early to bring them for a swim at my local fitness club. I should not have parked beside this SUV..... after coming out from the club with the silver SUV long gone, there is a huge gash on the door right into the metal!!

The club has surveillance camera and the staff made arrangement for me to review the video with them tomorrow morning.

If I manage to get the license plate of the person responsible for his inconsiderate act, what should I do?
Old 06-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts
Contact the police and your insurance, this is considered a hit and run. Someone side swipped my old MDX at the school I went to, AND they stayed parked right beside me AND they still tried to deny it! I took pictures of their car next to my car with both license plates and I got the surveillance video showing that my car was there first so I could have not hit her. My insurance company went after hers and got me about 1.3k for repainting the front fender. Instead I took the money, sold the MDX for a 2k profit over what I paid even with the scratch, and then I bought the RL.

The following users liked this post:
i12cutoo (06-09-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 12:41 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
contact your local authorities, could be considered as a hit and run.
The following users liked this post:
i12cutoo (06-09-2012)
Old 06-09-2012, 01:09 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Matt W
Contact the police and your insurance, this is considered a hit and run. Someone side swipped my old MDX at the school I went to, AND they stayed parked right beside me AND they still tried to deny it! I took pictures of their car next to my car with both license plates and I got the surveillance video showing that my car was there first so I could have not hit her. My insurance company went after hers and got me about 1.3k for repainting the front fender. Instead I took the money, sold the MDX for a 2k profit over what I paid even with the scratch, and then I bought the RL.

Thank for both of your advise. If I am able to identify the car plate through the surveillance video tomorrow, the next step will be to file a police report? Or should I just provide his/her number plate to my insurance company to pursue? Appreciate.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:09 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Matt W

Thanks for both of your advise. If I am able to identify the car plate through the surveillance video tomorrow, the next step will be to file a police report? Or should I just provide his/her number plate to my insurance company to pursue? Appreciate.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:22 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by i12cutoo
Thanks for both of your advise. If I am able to identify the car plate through the surveillance video tomorrow, the next step will be to file a police report? Or should I just provide his/her number plate to my insurance company to pursue? Appreciate.
Contact the police first. I usually take a picture on my phone of the license plate of the car I park next to before going into work. My older coworker (Myself 18, Coworker 28) also occasionally does the same thing. In his case it paid off. A young teenage women he had parked next to had hit his car pulling out and did not leave a note. He saw it happen but was too late. He contacted the police and the insurance company, and the insurance agent went to the other persons house (based on the license plate info) and measured the height, width, color, and dimensions of the scratch on their car and compared it to the height, width, color, and dimensions of the scratch on the other persons car. That other person's insurance had to end up paying for the damage based on a combination of the picture and the other information the insurance agent provided.

BTW I play the game of fucking over whoever scratches my car and doesn't own up.

Has happened two times and I have won boths times.

Also I would be very doubtful you will get more than a glimpse of who hit your car. The surveillance video I had received was black & weight and was 640x480 resolution. I wish you the best of luck though and hopefully they have some newer 720p color security cameras. Even a partial match (2 letters) is good because they can use the vehicle type/make/model to narrow it to one person or a couple persons.
Old 06-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
The authorities may or may not care. Your insurance, however, will. If you can get them a plate #, they should do all the work if they are worth a damn.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Sorry this happened. Nothing makes me madder than having this occur, or hearing of it happening to someone else. Some jerk in a giant SUV backed into the front of my wife's car at a hotel lot a few years ago. Buckled the hood up, just missed trashing the radiator. The hotel people were no help at all, either in checking their records of who checked out early that morning (you usually must give your plate # when you register) or with video surveillance. The damage was 3K.

My lessons learned were 1) no more stays at this hotel; 2) never park close to any giant SUVs, especially parallel parking behind one. It's the second time one of these behemoths has punched out a parked car I own.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Sorry this happened. Nothing makes me madder than having this occur, or hearing of it happening to someone else. Some jerk in a giant SUV backed into the front of my wife's car at a hotel lot a few years ago. Buckled the hood up, just missed trashing the radiator. The hotel people were no help at all, either in checking their records of who checked out early that morning (you usually must give your plate # when you register) or with video surveillance. The damage was 3K.

My lessons learned were 1) no more stays at this hotel; 2) never park close to any giant SUVs, especially parallel parking behind one. It's the second time one of these behemoths has punched out a parked car I own.
Bad news. I went back to Club One the fitness center where the security manager is supposed to playback the video. For whatever reasons, it was broke or not turned on for that day!? I complained to the duty manager of the fitness center and apparently, they subcon the facility security to a 3rd party company. Not side is of no help... It is what it is. The body work is going to cost me a bomb.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Call the police to report the hit and run, anyway. They should come take a report, ask the facility manager about their video again (don't tell them it's "broken", let the cops ask) and give you a report your insurer will want.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Pro

Go back each day and look for this silver SUV, then call the police when you find it and see if you can find the scratch on their vehicle, also talk to your insurance company, depending on your coverage they should take care of it.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,247 Likes on 4,858 Posts
^Good points. If you have comprehensive coverage, open a claim with your insurance. Insurance companies do no like to pay for anything. They would rather find out what happened than pay to fix this.

In any case, the most you could pay is your deductible.